Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

Chadzok posted:

Yeah, I like this. It's likely Nacho is going to ask for Mike's help in all this and he's going to be caught in the middle.

Ooh, I hadn't thought about this but yeah it's a good plot beat. Nacho has gone to Mike for help with problematic bosses before and doesn't know Mike is working with Fring already. I can see it happening that Nacho asks for help, Mike refuses and the situation develops from there pulling Mike closer to Fring. He's got some serious loyalty to Fring in BB and we've gotta start seeing how that develops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

So when this show was first announced, the idea was that it would span across the pre-BB, during-BB, and post-BB timeline. Is that still supposed to be the case?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

DaveKap posted:

So when this show was first announced, the idea was that it would span across the pre-BB, during-BB, and post-BB timeline. Is that still supposed to be the case?

I believe so. What was also mentioned was that this show is supposed to be able to stand on its own for the viewer, without them having seen Breaking Bad, and I really don't know how they're going to successfully make it to the post-BB era while filling in the viewer with all the relevant info.

If they can take a season or two to (quickly but effectively) run through Saul's side of things during BB S2-5.5, they will be cemented as the best television production team ever. I'm hoping they pull it off.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
If they spend a season on Saul's side of Breaking Bad coming up with new little details, while all the other characters on Jimmy's side of the story have fallen by the wayside as part of that transformation and been replaced with more on his typical clients and the team he puts together, and it all comes together well and forms into a really good season, then I think that'll be one of the most impressive feats I've seen from a T.V. drama to shift in tone and characters that drastically. It's like if E.R. got rid of most of its cast instead of maybe one or two a season and switched to being a cop show and was still super good.

My prediction for the season is that by the end we see Jimmy on the very cusp of becoming Saul entirely, Mike fully on Gus' side and having killed some cartel flunkies at his request or done some other grand plan that greatly tops their previous collaborations, Kim and Jimmy broken up, and Hank making a quick appearance in the finale setting up him investigating the Salamancas due to the chaos created by Hector being taken out. Not a lot of that is too bold, but I really get the feeling they went all-out and created a super intriguing finale to top their previous ones. Seasons 2 and 3 had some pretty solid cliffhangers set up, but I just feel in my bones that where they leave things at 4 is going to be full-blown bananas, and them getting an early renewal furthers my belief in that.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
My theory on Lalo.

He's a leader of a rival crew. Juan Bolsa mentioned to Nacho and Ponytail that rival crews would be trying to step on Salamanca turf now Hector was out. Ponytail also mentioned to The Cousins in hospital that they'd chased off a rival gang. The subject of turf war has been mentioned twice now and I think that's how they'll introduce Lalo.

Unless he's sent in as an interim replacement for Hector now that Ponytail has "disappeared". Not unlike Gaff from Breaking Bad s4.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

My theory on Lalo.

He's a leader of a rival crew. Juan Bolsa mentioned to Nacho and Ponytail that rival crews would be trying to step on Salamanca turf now Hector was out. Ponytail also mentioned to The Cousins in hospital that they'd chased off a rival gang. The subject of turf war has been mentioned twice now and I think that's how they'll introduce Lalo.

Unless he's sent in as an interim replacement for Hector now that Ponytail has "disappeared". Not unlike Gaff from Breaking Bad s4.
I agree with your idea that he could be a rival, now that Hector is out of the picture. Otherwise I’m not sure where that plot line really goes from here.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I was under the impression that he was going to be investigating what happened to uncle tio

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Who's Gaff? The young cartel guy?

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

LesterGroans posted:

Yeah, Kim was basically right. It wasn't malicious, but Howard was absolutely trying to get the guilt off his chest and saying it to Jimmy was almost certainly what he thought was right while also being the wrong time to unload on Chuck's brother.

I really like Howard. The reveal that Chuck was the one holding Jimmy back and Howard actually had liked him was great and colours a lot of their interactions in retrospect. I also just really like Patrick Fabian.

Unexpectedly, Howard is really well written. It's the sort of caracter that would have worked regardless as a more generic scumbag boss, but they do just enough to make him sympathetic.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

It's true, if you go back and watch the first episodes, the smarm and arrogance of Hamlin is replaced with a sort of integrity. It's weird and good.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I forgot about Mikes reaction in this scene in Breaking Bad, him pulling the gun on Gus in confused shock is really good.

Terrible quality video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6Zw2yOXuHk

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I believe so. What was also mentioned was that this show is supposed to be able to stand on its own for the viewer, without them having seen Breaking Bad,

This definitely has been dropped as a goal by now. The way they brought Gus to BCS wasn't anything like an "introduction", it was handled like a twist -- dropping this character you clearly are expected to remember to is A Big Deal into Mike's life.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It's nice that Gus let Nacho use a foam pad.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Who's Gaff? The young cartel guy?

Yeah the cartel enforcer from season 4 who ends up strangled by Mike. I quite enjoyed him, he was very much Don Eladio's Mike.

MasterControl
Jul 28, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Yeah the cartel enforcer from season 4 who ends up strangled by Mike. I quite enjoyed him, he was very much Don Eladio's Mike.

Dang, just realized he’s also from narcos too. He’s Carrillo.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Am I the only one who's hoping for minimum BB overlap? One show featuring Walter White was quite enough, and I don't really see how the frame of his bullshit would add all that much to the lives of Kim, Howard or Nacho. I have faith that the show could pull it off, but I don't feel it's necessary.

I'd be down for some Hank action, though.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I would like some overlap, it'd be interesting.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Am I the only one who's hoping for minimum BB overlap?

My gut feeling is that, statistically, yes, you are in the vast minority on that one (I'm there with you, mind).

Sadly though I am reasonably certain the show would not be anywhere near as popular as it is if it didn't have all the tie-in stuff, especially Gus.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Am I the only one who's hoping for minimum BB overlap? One show featuring Walter White was quite enough, and I don't really see how the frame of his bullshit would add all that much to the lives of Kim, Howard or Nacho. I have faith that the show could pull it off, but I don't feel it's necessary.

I'd be down for some Hank action, though.

I don't want this to be the Walter White Show, but I would like to see some things from that show from Saul's perspective. Maybe they can show his reaction or the fallout of some of those things with enough explanation that they don't have to include Walt to have it make sense.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I would be cool with no overlap. But I trust this writing staff to do it in a way that wouldn’t bother me.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

boop the snoot posted:

I would be cool with no overlap. But I trust this writing staff to do it in a way that wouldn’t bother me.

I want to feel this way but anytime Gus is on screen I just sigh.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i like the gus stuff.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Like it or not Walt entirely shapes Saul's life by Gene times. It would be interesting to see it unfold from Saul's perspective; at first I'm sure they were just two more idiots through his office that he was happy to leech off, one scheme among many that Saul was juggling. He's more worried about Lalo at that point. Eventually he's completely under Walt's thumb and it would be difficult to pull that off without Walt making appearances; although we've already seen it all before and I'm sure they wouldn't just retread important moments ("it's over when I say it's over", child poisoning, etc).

I really can't wait to see how they handle the transition, and I wouldn't be surprised if they don't yet have a clear picture of how they're going to.

Has there ever been another show, or a movie, that started as a prequel and ran up to, through and out the other side of a different series? Back to the Future 2 is the only example I can come up with, those scenes where you could see the first movie playing out but you were in the perspective of the second movie.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Godfather Part II is the closest thing off of the top of my head, but IIRC you’re never actually revisiting events from the first film.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Groovelord Neato posted:

i like the gus stuff.

I like some of the stuff that has come from Gus being on the show (specifically Nacho's story) but I don't like how Gus has somehow become even more superhumanly competent than he was in BB. A villain who never fucks up is not a very interesting one and right now he's like a frickin' Terminator.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

precision posted:

I like some of the stuff that has come from Gus being on the show (specifically Nacho's story) but I don't like how Gus has somehow become even more superhumanly competent than he was in BB. A villain who never fucks up is not a very interesting one and right now he's like a frickin' Terminator.
Well we know from BB that he is the top meth guy in that part of the US, and he has been operating under cover as a local businessman who does good things for the community, right under the noses of the DEA. So it's not exactly shocking that he's competent in this show too.

He does screw up in BB- he hires Walt, who leads to his downfall, and he refuses to just kill Hector because he wants to torture him for revenge, but that also comes back to (literally) blow up in his face

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I wonder if we're gonna see the cartel transition from cocaine to meth

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

Chadzok posted:

Has there ever been another show, or a movie, that started as a prequel and ran up to, through and out the other side of a different series? Back to the Future 2 is the only example I can come up with, those scenes where you could see the first movie playing out but you were in the perspective of the second movie.
depending on your interpretation on certain aspects of the film then I'd say Twin Peaks Fire Walk With Me.

Another almost example I'd say is Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead, though obviously that wasn't written by Shakespeare, and doesn't fit exactly.

I think one of the Saw movies might've done something kind of like that too but that's just from a vague recollection of people talking about the series.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

I like the Rosencrantz & Guildenstern example, has the same 'fleshing out side characters' feel, protagonists driven along a path not really of their own making (as I imagine Saul would feel by the end of BB) plus I think Beckett would appreciate the absurdity of Gene's predicament, eternally waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The Lion King 1 1/2

(which is the R&S Are Dead to the original's Hamlet)

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So I've almost finished with Season 3 and I have a timeline question. Breaking Bad season 3 spoiler has Hector already killed Gus's boyfriend?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Your Gay Uncle posted:

So I've almost finished with Season 3 and I have a timeline question. Breaking Bad season 3 spoiler has Hector already killed Gus's boyfriend?

That was when they all first met. It took place ~20 years earlier, long before Gus even came to the US.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Hector was stroked out for the entirety of Breaking Bad. Anything he did while walking around and talking was during Better Call Saul or in a flashback.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Chadzok posted:

Like it or not Walt entirely shapes Saul's life by Gene times.

From a pure plot perspective it would be easy to avoid it entirely though: Jimmy sets up as saul, (SOMETHING BAD HAPPENS) and now he's living his life on the run. A viewer who only watched BCS wouldnt actually need to see the bad thing happen to infer that poo poo went south as a result of Jimmys life choice.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Raxivace posted:

Godfather Part II is the closest thing off of the top of my head, but IIRC you’re never actually revisiting events from the first film.

Yeah, the closest that movie comes to that is the flashback sequence of Vito's birthday party in 1941, where Michael announces he's enlisted and James Caan shows up as Sonny and is pissed as hell at him. They wanted to get Brando to appear, too, but he threw a tantrum because he was feuding with someone at Paramount and didn't show up on the day he was scheduled to shoot.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

precision posted:

That's dumb, he's not done anything more impressive than the poo poo he pulled in BB, especially single handedly taking down a whole Cartel he works for at a massive power disadvantage and successfully pulling off a massive drug production operation fronted with a popular fast food restaurant. So far the best he's done is stay one step ahead of Mike, run a successful smuggling operation while his enemy gets damaged by whats basically a third party and has to depend on his services and notice that Nacho was acting like the most suspicious man on earth.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Gus walked directly into sniper fire in Breaking Bad.

If that isn’t Terminator, I don’t know what is.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Sometimes it feels like this show has two separate audiences.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

TOOT BOOT posted:

Sometimes it feels like this show has two separate audiences.

low IQs like the violence of the cartel scenes

high IQs like the boring scenes of Saul filling out wills for old people

we have to include the exciting action scenes to appease AMC and the The Walking Dead audience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

boop the snoot posted:

If that isn’t Terminator, I don’t know what is.