Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

If you're not booking the trips with your own cc, that means you're traveling for work and they have to pay to stick you somewhere. I assume the OP is on vacation or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

No this is work but it's frustrating and I'm sure there is a case to be made that certain airlines in certain cities are worth avoiding despite discounts.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

porkface posted:

Is there any way to get relief for act of god refusal to foot the hotel bill when you're delayed overnight?

I'm stuck and and it's a huge PITA and going to be expensive and United are suggesting I sleep in the terminal.

Is this for work? Just get a hotel and expense it. Not being allowed to expense a hotel due to something outside of your control while you're on business travel is an extremely high tier of lovely policy because that's requiring you to take on financial risk when you travel.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
if it's for work you might want to call your travel desk/agent - just helps CYA later if you have a lovely job when it comes to travel

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Agreed that you should be able to expense it -- not sure what your job is but if a job requires you to travel and wouldn't be willing to expense that, I'd be wary.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer
Anyone interested in trading airline miles back and forth? I have 26k United miles and another 25k AA miles that I'll never use if anyone wants to trade for Delta SkyMiles.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Woo, I finally get to fly a 787 in October! Except it's LAX>DFW and in only in MCE.

Have to go to Sweden in a couple of weeks and wanted to see if I could find a route that involved crossing the Atlantic on a 787 since that would be in business class, but instead it's the same old BA 777s and 747s that do the IAD>LHR route. They don't even appear to fly the A380 on that route these days.

Also looks like I'll still need 400-500 tier points at the end of the year if I wanted to get to BA Gold, so another year of Silver it is.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Who operates a 787 from LAX to DFW? That's an awfully big plane for a short domestic route.

The again I took an A330 from KUL to SIN, which is like a 45 minute flight, so I suppose anything is possible.

BTW BA operates a 787 on their BWI - LHR route.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

psydude posted:

Who operates a 787 from LAX to DFW? That's an awfully big plane for a short domestic route.

Probably AA
Asia -> LAX -> DFW and back

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Interesting. I think their longest route is HKG to DFW and that's a straight shot with no stopover, but then again it's a 777-LR.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
I have taken 772s from LAX to MIA a few times on AA and I have both a 772 and 788 booked from MIA to DFW on diff trips this fall.

Probably the most surreal large plane short route was a 767 on MIA-MCO. I got a free upgrade to business so I laid flat for like 30 minutes.

Free premium economy seat for the price of economy, yay! And the chance of an upgrade to lie flat...maybe

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

psydude posted:

The again I took an A330 from KUL to SIN, which is like a 45 minute flight, so I suppose anything is possible.

BTW BA operates a 787 on their BWI - LHR route.

Positioning flight for an AA 787. DFW flys a ton of places in the 787, especially South America. LAX with the 787 is limited to a couple random destinations like Beijing, Osaka, and New Zealand.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

DJCobol posted:

Anyone interested in trading airline miles back and forth? I have 26k United miles and another 25k AA miles that I'll never use if anyone wants to trade for Delta SkyMiles.

i also have a handful of united miles lying around that i’ll probably never use and will trade for delta if someone exhausts the above poster

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Lote posted:

Positioning flight for an AA 787.
Exactly. You can occasionally find them on hub-to-hub routes on all three major airlines, although they are subject to a lot of schedule changes and aircraft type is not guaranteed.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

drgitlin posted:

Woo, I finally get to fly a 787 in October! Except it's LAX>DFW and in only in MCE.

I wonder if that’s the one that continues on to CDG. I believe that starts in October.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Small White Dragon posted:

Exactly. You can occasionally find them on hub-to-hub routes on all three major airlines, although they are subject to a lot of schedule changes and aircraft type is not guaranteed.

drat. And the free status upgrades to business class on domestic routes still apply?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

psydude posted:

drat. And the free status upgrades to business class on domestic routes still apply?

For delta the answer is yes.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Mandalay posted:

I have taken 772s from LAX to MIA a few times on AA and I have both a 772 and 788 booked from MIA to DFW on diff trips this fall.

Probably the most surreal large plane short route was a 767 on MIA-MCO. I got a free upgrade to business so I laid flat for like 30 minutes.

Yeah, I've been on AA's 777 from MIA to LAX once, and their transcontinental 767 from MIA to SFO a few times, and it's great. This was several years ago, but the intercontinental tier service was nice, even if the asparagus with breakfast produced weird side effects.

MIA-MCO must have the seatbelt sign off for, what, 30 seconds? I've done FLL-TPA a few dozen times, and MIA-ATL a bunch, and they basically don't register anymore.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Mandalay posted:

I do MCO-MIA-MCO about every other week now and this happens every once in a while. I’ve also lucked out on JFK-MIA or the reverse, I can’t remember which, on the 767. It happens every once in a while.

Last year after hurricane Harvey, I flew MCO-DFW and they changed the plane to a 767 at the last minute, to pack on relief people - I think there was army medical staff, a bunch of insurance adjusters, etc.

I’ve slowly come to the realization that I won’t requal as exec plat on AA. I may barely squeak out Plat pro on miles instead of segments this year. I have spent plenty of quality time at home this year though, so that was nice.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

MCI wins the title for weirdest airport design.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

For delta the answer is yes.
AA and UA too.

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

DJCobol posted:

I’ve got 20k Skymiles that I would trade for AA, HMU

SuperSpiff
Apr 4, 2007
Mentally retardation is such a strong word.

psydude posted:

MCI wins the title for weirdest airport design.

It was super handy to flight out of until they decided that having like one TSA checkpoint for like five hundred miles of horseshoe gates was better it’s been worse. Plus only having like half a Starbucks.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Something Offal posted:

Agreed that you should be able to expense it -- not sure what your job is but if a job requires you to travel and wouldn't be willing to expense that, I'd be wary.

Even my company where my coworkers share rooms and live off on instant noodles allow people to claim hotel nights and sleep better.

The problem is that when a situation like that happens the nearby hotels get filled up and you might need to schlep to the city for a hotel

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

My manager has been in airport hell for the past few days in Manila. A plane crashed on the runway and shut down the airport for the better part of two days. The airline he originally booked with said the earliest they could get him out is the 26th, so now he's trying to figure out other options.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

psydude posted:

My manager has been in airport hell for the past few days in Manila. A plane crashed on the runway and shut down the airport for the better part of two days. The airline he originally booked with said the earliest they could get him out is the 26th, so now he's trying to figure out other options.

Ferry boat to Hong Kong or Taiwan.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Well, looks like it's been a few weekend for the Marriott IT team.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Geez, some stupid people in the airport this morning.

Old lady in the TSA lane talking about blowing things up. Naturally she's talking about her grandsons birthday party, doesn't understand why she is now subject to full cavity search.

Frat girl carrying a full Sephora and Apple Store in her hand luggage, doesn't take anything out despite being asked 3 times. In meltdown mode because she has to throw everything away.

Etc etc

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Goober Peas posted:

Geez, some stupid people in the airport this morning.

Old lady in the TSA lane talking about blowing things up. Naturally she's talking about her grandsons birthday party, doesn't understand why she is now subject to full cavity search.

Frat girl carrying a full Sephora and Apple Store in her hand luggage, doesn't take anything out despite being asked 3 times. In meltdown mode because she has to throw everything away.

Etc etc

sounds like primo entertainment, i envy you

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

It's like being at an expensive, mediocre comedy club for sure.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Come join me at A20 in Atlanta - watching a rude man get smacked down by a gate agent.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Crosspost:

Etuni
Jun 28, 2006

What it lacks in substance, it makes up for in pretty colors

Update to my mattress damage debacle: I was eventually able to get the hotel supervisor to refund the full damage fee, so all is well. I was surprised that it seemed SPG corporate wasn't empowered to refund it for me, or force the hotel to refund it earlier. Maybe things are chaotic with the Marriott merger? It would have been nice to get some points for my trouble and time, but at least I'm not on the hook for $700 and someone else's mess.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

How do airline staff upgrades work? I overheard an AA staffer not in uniform complaining to the gate agent that they didn’t get an upgrade to F. She told him that it had filled up (there were 5 or 6 empty F seats yesterday) and that she had one revenue upgrade before the staffer. He wasn’t happy.

Do they accrue status or miles for work flights? I don’t really care that much, but it piqued my curiosity.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
As a family friend of a cathay gate agent in Vancouver, I occasionally got free upgrades to business class and as a kid I get to sit in the cockpit and chat with the pilots

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
nonrevs upgrade after eligible revenue passengers if there's still space available

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Goober Peas posted:

Come join me at A20 in Atlanta - watching a rude man get smacked down by a gate agent.

the blonde bartender in the smoking bar there is gorgeous and has a great rack and will comp you drinks if you're funny.

im staying just to the west outside Boston. i have tomorrow as a remote workday since i land at 1AM, recommend good coffee places to work or a place to do HH or get dinner. Riverside i believe its called

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Waroduce posted:

the blonde bartender in the smoking bar there is gorgeous and has a great rack and will comp you drinks if you're funny.

im staying just to the west outside Boston. i have tomorrow as a remote workday since i land at 1AM, recommend good coffee places to work or a place to do HH or get dinner. Riverside i believe its called

You fly out of MIA a lot, right? They changed the premium lounge to an admirals club in the E terminal. It’s all self serve liquor/beer/wine plus a bigger food spread with cold cuts and sandwiches.

Since Friday, I’ve had 5 flights all delayed by an hour or more, but luckily haven’t missed any connections, due to everything being late. My most recent is a SEA-BIL that is delayed due to smoke from the CA wildfires (?!). I’ll get in at 2am mountain time and have to be at the job site at 9am :v:

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Yeah, we made several 360s over the Oregon/Washington border yesterday waiting for visibility to improve at SEA. It definitely wasn't as smokey today, supposedly (hopefully) better by Friday do I can fly back out.

It was weird having to dust the ash off my rental car this morning though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
So I'm supposed to be in a hotel indego right now but they overbooked and im staying at a local colleges conference center in a room that is most def a repurpose dorm room....i am loving pissed and tired. what should i ask for? cause im gunna bitch real hard at the GM

how do you loving overbook a hotel indigo in some small butt gently caress lovely massachussets town