Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Toshimo posted:

Ok, so if my car gets hit-and-run by a drunk driver on Wednesday, and I call it in and get scheduled for an estimate on Tuesday, but on Sunday it gets caught in a flash flood, do I have to pay the collision deductible, or does it all just roll under the comprehensive? Also, does my car get tagged with both flood and accident tags on Carfax and drop to $0 resale value permanently?

Assuming it isn’t totaled -You’d have to pay both. They’ll write two estimates. If it gets totaled from the flood then they’ll probably just throw it all under comp.

Your insurance company doesn’t report to Carfax but they may get the record via somewhere like CLUE. It’s real hit or miss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Assuming it isn’t totaled -You’d have to pay both. They’ll write two estimates. If it gets totaled from the flood then they’ll probably just throw it all under comp.

Your insurance company doesn’t report to Carfax but they may get the record via somewhere like CLUE. It’s real hit or miss.

Cool. My comprehensive deductible is $0, so here's hoping, or something.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

I got a SUPER hard sell about an extended warranty on a (used) 2017 CRV that I just purchased today with a whole lot of "but all those electronics don't you want peace of mind" and blah blah blah blah that the sales guy was throwing at me.

I kept saying no but now I'm wondering if I was dumb.

Are they just dealer gimmicks? (Which is what I always thought).

We didn't buy an extended warranty with my previous car or my husband's current car. Now I'm doubting myself for not going with it :-/

sheri fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jun 9, 2018

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

You did the right thing. It’s a money maker for them.

Take that money you’d spend on the warranty and put it into a bank account for repairs.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
What's the best method for getting home insurance quotes? Mine has climbed way too much the past 4 years so I think it's time to shop around for some new customer discounts. I'm nervous to open myself up to a LOT of new spam mail, email, and calls, is there a way to avoid it? I bundle home+auto(x2) and I've been on the same insurance since I started driving 14 years ago so this is going to be all new to me. Where should I start? Pester Allstate for a better rate? Plug my info into one of those "Compare us to the others!" companies? Find a broker? If so, how to identify a good one?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I don't know insurance. I was on my parents' insurance until I was 25, and just stuck with the same plan and provider when I was too old.

Can anyone tell me if my Insurance Is Good or if this seems bad?

I'm 31, male, no accidents or tickets of any kind ever, live in the PNW and drive a 2016 Subaru Outback.

$570 is 6 months' coverage, so $1,140 annually.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I don't know insurance. I was on my parents' insurance until I was 25, and just stuck with the same plan and provider when I was too old.

I'm 31, male, no accidents or tickets of any kind ever, live in the PNW and drive a 2016 Subaru Outback.

The coverage itself is good, deductibles are a bit high. You’d pay $1k out of pocket. If you’re fine then nothing to worry about.

The cost is highly variable by market and other factors so you can’t easily compare it to others.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Go to an independent agent, have them quote you a few different companies. If you're in Seattle, I can refer you to one.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
My partner feels that having life insurance is a good idea, as we are in our late thirties and own a house. I agree.

I read the run-down on life insurance but not sure what I should be looking for. For reference, sh'es in incredibly good health, and I am too barring a bit of goon-sizing. Is Whole the way to go? Do they require physicals?

Term seems like it runs the risk of cutting out as soon as you're old enough to need it.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Jaxyon posted:

My partner feels that having life insurance is a good idea, as we are in our late thirties and own a house. I agree.

I read the run-down on life insurance but not sure what I should be looking for. For reference, sh'es in incredibly good health, and I am too barring a bit of goon-sizing. Is Whole the way to go? Do they require physicals?

Term seems like it runs the risk of cutting out as soon as you're old enough to need it.

Term is the way to go, size it for when you intend to not need it (retire, pay off your mortgage, etc.) For most people it's when your dependents run off to college. For example, to me that was a million bux for 25 years, bought when we had a 6 month old, likely to have a second, and want to pay off the mortgage, college, and some living expenses for a working spouse.) Yes they require physicals, but you can just ask them what their BMI and blood pressure requirements are for the various rating levels. I got super premium at 225 (clothed, no shoes, dress lightly) 6'4" tall with normal blood pressure. (And no other life threatening risks, but I do have asthma.)

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
What about Whole Life?

It seems like it would be better, if you can afford it, to pay a bit more but have a cash value at the end, while term is basically you getting nothing for paying into it for 30 years.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Jaxyon posted:

term is basically you getting nothing for paying into it for 30 years.

You get an insurance payout in the event of your death. You aren't paying "into" it you are paying "for" it.

There are about a billion articles online about why whole life is bad.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Jaxyon posted:

What about Whole Life?

It seems like it would be better, if you can afford it, to pay a bit more but have a cash value at the end, while term is basically you getting nothing for paying into it for 30 years.

Nothing except the insurance protection which is the point of purchasing the product. If you want to invest then invest, if you want insurance then buy insurance.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Jaxyon posted:

What about Whole Life?

Whole life is a scam for people who don't understand the difference between investing and insurance.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Jaxyon posted:

What about Whole Life?

If you insist on doing it wrong get the return of premium rider on your term policy. It roughly doubles the cost of it but you get all of your money back (no interest, so less than you put in once inflation is taken into account.) it's still a better deal than whole life.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

It's not just "a bit" more either.

Whole life is bad for the vast cast majority of people.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Whole life is a scam for people who don't understand the difference between investing and insurance.

Guessing you could take the difference in premium and just invest that directly into the market and do better?

H110Hawk posted:

If you insist on doing it wrong get the return of premium rider on your term policy. It roughly doubles the cost of it but you get all of your money back (no interest, so less than you put in once inflation is taken into account.) it's still a better deal than whole life.

Droo posted:

You get an insurance payout in the event of your death. You aren't paying "into" it you are paying "for" it.

There are about a billion articles online about why whole life is bad.

Thanks folks.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

My auto insurance with Progressive is up for renewal and I’m getting real tired of them jacking up my rates after every 6-month renewal period. I’ve been with Progressive for like a decade, I pay my 6 month premium in full, I’ve only ever made one claim in my entire life (windshield replacement, like 5 years ago), I’ve never been in an accident, I’ve never so much as gotten a speeding ticket in my life. Despite this, my 6-month premium has jumped by like $60+ each time for the last 3 renewals, and that poo poo is getting old.

I’m ready to jump ship unless there’s a way to get them to play ball and not raise my rate for no reason. I don’t know if Root Insurance is poo poo, but I’m running their “test drive” app on my phone right now (and guess what? I’m loving nailing their criteria).
Do I have other (better) options to keep from getting perpetually hosed by my insurance company?

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Xenomrph posted:

My auto insurance with Progressive is up for renewal and I’m getting real tired of them jacking up my rates after every 6-month renewal period. I’ve been with Progressive for like a decade, I pay my 6 month premium in full, I’ve only ever made one claim in my entire life (windshield replacement, like 5 years ago), I’ve never been in an accident, I’ve never so much as gotten a speeding ticket in my life. Despite this, my 6-month premium has jumped by like $60+ each time for the last 3 renewals, and that poo poo is getting old.

I’m ready to jump ship unless there’s a way to get them to play ball and not raise my rate for no reason. I don’t know if Root Insurance is poo poo, but I’m running their “test drive” app on my phone right now (and guess what? I’m loving nailing their criteria).
Do I have other (better) options to keep from getting perpetually hosed by my insurance company?

Call an agent and get a bunch of quotes. All auto carriers have been raising rates over the past few years so your situation isn’t progressive specific. Root insurance is burning through vc atm but they’re a real carrier if you don’t mind not having a local claims person to yell at if anything happens.

Virtue fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Aug 15, 2018

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Root is one of the new startups that hasn’t and won’t turn a profit for years. It’s like esurance in that regard but without Allstate backing them up. I’d expect their service level to be one step below a major carrier like SF, GEICO, Progressive, etc.

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat
Are you eligible for USAA? Their auto insurance is still first rate.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

General Probe posted:

Are you eligible for USAA? Their auto insurance is still first rate.

My dad got drafted and served in the 60s, does that count?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Xenomrph posted:

Only if he's a USAA member.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Thanatosian posted:

Only if he's a USAA member.

Well, poo poo.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Xenomrph posted:

If he's alive he can sign up.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

H110Hawk posted:

If he's alive he can sign up.

Would it cost him anything? Like, would he have to pay for any of their services? Or could he just sign up and open the door for me to sign up?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Xenomrph posted:

Would it cost him anything? Like, would he have to pay for any of their services? Or could he just sign up and open the door for me to sign up?

Nope. Did it with my FIL. It's just an online form for him, then an online form for you using his ID number. Then you get emails every week or two reminding you about the great deals you're missing.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Insurance companies raise their base rates all the time based on the overall losses that everyone they insure has and other economic conditions. You could be a perfect driver with perfect credit but if they file an overall rate increase in your state everyone's rates go up.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

That's a way simplified explanation but your premium isn't solely based on your driving and claim history.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

That seems like a bullshit way to raise everyone’s rates rather than just raise the rates of the people who are causing the increase in operating costs (the lovely drivers).
But hey, I’m probably an uninformed idiot who doesn’t see the big picture on this. If that’s the case, please educate me so I’m less of an idiot.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Inflation also plays a factor. Rising costs of repairing vehicles and the massive costs of healthcare are also a big one (severity) even though safety features can mitigate or avoid accidents (frequency). If your carrier also writes home insurance and gets blasted with a hurricane or tornado or whatever, they’ll often raise rates for auto to help offset it, because customers who bundle home and auto are typically less price sensitive and won’t leave as frequently.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Inflation also plays a factor. Rising costs of repairing vehicles and the massive costs of healthcare are also a big one (severity) even though safety features can mitigate or avoid accidents (frequency). If your carrier also writes home insurance and gets blasted with a hurricane or tornado or whatever, they’ll often raise rates for auto to help offset it, because customers who bundle home and auto are typically less price sensitive and won’t leave as frequently.
Frequency and severity have both been on the rise recently. Economic signs point to this trend slowing down but it’s really too early to tell.

You’re describing price optimization which is illegal in most states (might be all of them by now). Well for insurance companies anyway. Amazon et al is free to continue dicking around with your purchasing info.

They aren’t raising rates on auto to offset home losses. Usually when a large event happens the carriers will update their catastrophe model results and this feeds into the rate need for auto comprehensive coverage.

Virtue fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Aug 17, 2018

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

If you don’t think they’re taking auto rate to offset home losses I have a bridge for you. You can’t easily prove it since nobody is filing rates with the DOI saying they got hosed by Harvey HO losses, but the pricing folks don’t live in an auto only bubble.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

If you don’t think they’re taking auto rate to offset home losses I have a bridge for you. You can’t easily prove it since nobody is filing rates with the DOI saying they got hosed by Harvey HO losses, but the pricing folks don’t live in an auto only bubble.

I didn’t say they did and provided an example of why a loss in one line can lead to a rate need in another without any fudging going on. Reinsurance pressure is another possibility depending on the nature of the contracts.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

This isn't how it works. Rate indications and pricing models are by line of business.

Trying to raise auto rates to make up home losses (from your example) would put you higher than the market pricing for auto but wouldn't fix your rate need on home. So a carrier would struggle writing and retaining auto and home should still be priced too low to make money.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Dango Bango posted:

This isn't how it works. Rate indications and pricing models are by line of business.

Trying to raise auto rates to make up home losses (from your example) would put you higher than the market pricing for auto but wouldn't fix your rate need on home. So a carrier would struggle writing and retaining auto and home should still be priced too low to make money.

They do it because their clientele isn’t going to jump ship. The money maker is your family of 4 with 4 cars, a house, some bikes and weekend toys.

Naturally they’re going to raise home after a big event. They’re also going to raise auto because of the same event. They may raise one to help offset the other. Companies chase growth and profitability all the time. Someone like SF doesn’t need to run profitable while a shareholder company does.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Do you have any experience in pricing?

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

That's not how it works at all.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Yeah that doesn't make sense at all. Just because you had a bad quarter on one book doesn't mean your competitors did. The idea people won't move in the era of online quoting just doesn't seem likely, especially a family with a lot of policies having 5 of them dicked over on rate for a loss on one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
What are things which impact Umbrella policy rates? I'm going to give me agent a call tomorrow but my renewal just came in and it went from $248 to $322 for $1MM from State Farm in CA. We're covering 3 cars and a home owners policy. Those all went up but by MUCH smaller amounts this past year.

Is it possible to shop just the umbrella policy?