Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Escobarbarian posted:

Moaning Lisa, Life on the Fast Lane, Homer’s Odyssey, Krusty Gets Busted.....are you insane

I've never understood why s1 seems to sit outside what is considered the classic era of The Simpsons. It's rough as poo poo, and we've all watched them to death, but it was pioneering and grabbed everyone instantly. There's some fantastic stories in that first season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Other than characters whose actors died, are there any characters who were really big in early Simpsons who have just faded away or disappeared with the passage of time?

Like, in early South Park, characters like Officer Barbrady, Stan's Uncle Jimbo and Dr Mephesto are prominent supporting characters, but they haven't been now for years and years.

Characters who feel like relics of the early years, I suppose, whose presence in an episode alone reminds you of how old it is.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Aug 17, 2018

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Barbrady figured heavily in a season or two ago.

The psychiatrist on the Simpsons only appeared early on I believe.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Guy Mann posted:

The voices in the first episode of Futurama were completely different too, everyone sounded sleepy and the whole episode was about that job chip that never came up again because they needed an excuse to get everyone together. Comedy pilots and animation pilots are notoriously bad, it finds its feet in the first few episodes and after that it's fine.

The job chips actually do come back, thanks for outing yourself as a halfass Futurama fan!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

swickles posted:

Fair enough - I haven't seen any of the last few years of South Park (never really felt like sitting down and watching the serialised ones).

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

swickles posted:

The psychiatrist on the Simpsons only appeared early on I believe.

A great character too, useful for appearing on Kent Brockman's shows to 'explain' things.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Wheat Loaf posted:

Other than characters whose actors died, are there any characters who were really big in early Simpsons who have just faded away or disappeared with the passage of time?

Some people might answer "Bleeding Gums Murphy" and "Dr. Marvin Monroe", but that would be wrong-- they were never popular.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

The job chips actually do come back, thanks for outing yourself as a halfass Futurama fan!

But was it in the good seasons, or the lovely revival?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Escobarbarian posted:

But was it in the good seasons, or the lovely revival?

Another one.

God drat man.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Whoa I completely forgot about that episode*! It wasn’t one of the best of season 3.

* where Fry unthaws his old girlfriend

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Loota bad 'rama fans in this thread.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
At least I’m not one of those insane maniacs who thinks the Harold Zoid episode is bad

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ariana Grande dropped a new album today

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

zoux posted:

Ariana Grande dropped a new album today

I don't understand.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s the name of an SNL guy she’s engaged to

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh I forgot that I literally don't give a poo poo about her, her music or anything related to her private or public life.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Colin Jost is dating ScarJo, Taran Killam is married to Cobie Smulders and Jason Sudeikis is married to Olivia Wilde. That's just the ones I know off the top of my head, Bobby Monihan is probably dating Brie Larson or somethign

zoux fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Aug 17, 2018

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

When is the divorce

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

zoux posted:

Colin Jost is dating ScarJo, Taran Killam is married to Cobie Smulders and Jason Sudeikis is married to Olivia Wilde. That's just the ones I know off the top of my head, Bobby Monihan is probably dating Brie Larson or somethign

I don't know who a third of those people are.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Like, in early South Park, characters like Officer Barbrady, Stan's Uncle Jimbo and Dr Mephesto are prominent supporting characters, but they haven't been now for years and years.

Characters who feel like relics of the early years, I suppose, whose presence in an episode alone reminds you of how old it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lFZquBi8y0

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

EL BROMANCE posted:

I've never understood why s1 seems to sit outside what is considered the classic era of The Simpsons. It's rough as poo poo, and we've all watched them to death, but it was pioneering and grabbed everyone instantly. There's some fantastic stories in that first season.

It's the season with the most heart.

Although The Call of The Simpsons is definitely one of the worst episodes of Actual Real Simpsons Before It Died Forever And Was Replaced By A Grotesque Mockery of Itself.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

zoux posted:

Isn't Emma Stone also dating one of the SNL writers?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

esperterra posted:

Isn't Emma Stone also dating one of the SNL writers?

Goddamnit yes

Also I looked up Bobby Moynihan's wife and she's not famous but he's deffo punching above his weight class

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
WHY DO YOU GUYS KNOW THIS STUFF

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Because it's insanely bizarre that the not ready for primetime players are dating A-list actresses

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I don't know who a third of those people are.

Yeah well I bet none of them know who you are either.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

How much random comic trivia crap do you know again

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Rhyno posted:

b/c I love celebrity gossip

and emma stone

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Escobarbarian posted:

How much random comic trivia crap do you know again

It's what I did for a living for 13 years, do you work for Entertainment Weekly?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Rhyno posted:

It's what I did for a living for 13 years, do you work for Entertainment Weekly?

nah but I hope to be a successful enough actress y'all can gossip about me in the future!!

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Also I'm gonna say outside of the kind of unfortunate movie-based seasons, the Futurama revival was more good than bad. Yeah there are some preeeeetty bad episodes but also some of the best in the whole series.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

esperterra posted:

nah but I hope to be a successful enough actress y'all can gossip about me in the future!!

And maybe date Emma Stone?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Rhyno posted:

And maybe date Emma Stone?

Any of the Emmas!!

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

zoux posted:

Colin Jost is dating ScarJo

The best part is that gossipers literally can't believe that they're actually dating, depending on who you ask Scarlett is cheating on him constantly or they're both gay and are in a fake relationship.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Rhyno posted:

I don't even own a basic awareness of the society I live in.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
People post cast relationship stuff in r/livefromnewyork all the time, that's how I know about it.

esperterra posted:

Any of the Emmas!!

Wait *counts on fingers*

How are there so many hot Emmas in Hollywood, this doesn't make sense.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Guy Mann posted:

I don't even own a basic awareness of the society I live in.

I can barely remember the names of my friends wives.

esperterra posted:

Any of the Emmas!!

Roberts is the superior Emma.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Rhyno posted:

I can barely remember the names of my friends wives.

Roberts is the superior Emma.

A man of taste. Roberts, then Stone then Watson imo.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

esperterra posted:

A man of taste. Roberts, then Stone then Watson imo.

She was really good in that Scream sequel and AHS. And the guilty pleasure 4, 3, 2, 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

She's pretty drat good in most things imo, super talented but made a lot of crap for a long time.

e: hell I even enjoyed Nerve lmao, def a guilty af pleasure tho

Man I miss Scream Queens.