Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

site posted:

Something went terribly wrong during the cosmetic surgery for his thighs

Torgo 2099.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Not a bad Kryptonian name. Jod-Pur.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

For whatever reason, jodhpurs are the favored legwear of pulp and pulp-evocative heroes. See Doc Savage, for instance.

The Rocketeer also wore 'em.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Selachian posted:

For whatever reason, jodhpurs are the favored legwear of pulp and pulp-evocative heroes. See Doc Savage, for instance.

The Rocketeer also wore 'em.

Partly because most of those heroes came from what would be the horse-riding classes.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

What did all that fluff in the thigh accomplish? My family only ever saw horses in the hold or in front of the plow

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

wikipedia posted:

Jodhpurs are originally from the Indian subcontinent[2] as long trousers, reaching to the ankle, snug from the calf to the ankle, with reinforced fabric protecting the inner calf and knee from rubbing. The thighs and hips were flared, a traditional oriental style possibly to help with cooling the body in a hot climate, but which, in an era before the invention of stretch fabrics, also allowed free movement of the hip and thigh while riding.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
If you wear pants that are snug at the thigh, and then you sit on a horse, they rip.

Smets
Nov 4, 2009
That poor horse!

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Would a horse wear jodhpurs on all 4 legs or just the two back ones?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/CoolComicArt/status/1026255938666127360

I've decided that Mignola is my #1 favorite artist

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I always liked Mignola. Love his heavy shading.

Edit: vv Here's Mignola on Etrigan from Cosmic Odyssey

catlord fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Aug 6, 2018

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/CoolComicArt/status/1026255938666127360

I've decided that Mignola is my #1 favorite artist

Yeah. I have an issue of Wizard sitting around my bathroom that has a short article where he sketches some of his favorite big two characters. One of the sketches is of Etrigan and it's really damned good. Etrigan's one of my favorite characters.

Gavok had a thing where he'd take around a sketchbook and have people sketch Venom with a prop of the artists' choice, I'd love to do that but with Etrigan.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Aug 6, 2018

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

This is from Sequana. I believe it's only available in original French or German translation unfortunately. This was the best I could do with my lighting and camera to avoid glare as much as possible. These were my favorite full-page spreads from the book.

angel opportunity fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Aug 11, 2018

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

catlord posted:

I always liked Mignola. Love his heavy shading.

Edit: vv Here's Mignola on Etrigan from Cosmic Odyssey

I remember reading an interview with Mignola somewhere where he was talking about his shading, and his whole philosophy was something to the effect of "I drop shadows wherever I want. I make them as heavy as I want. It's not reality, it's my reality." I actually really liked that.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Fart City posted:

I remember reading an interview with Mignola somewhere where he was talking about his shading, and his whole philosophy was something to the effect of "I drop shadows wherever I want. I make them as heavy as I want. It's not reality, it's my reality." I actually really liked that.

Thinking about it, especially since I finally got my new copy of the New Gods Omnibus, Mignola's art kinda strikes me as a gloomy take on Jack Kirby's style. Obviously there's no need to go on about how great Kirby is, so I'll just post a single panel that I really like for some reason, from The Demon #3.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

angel opportunity posted:

This is from Sequana. I believe it's only available in original French or German translation unfortunately. This was the best I could do with my lighting and camera to avoid glare as much as possible. These were my favorite full-page spreads from the book.

French comics have such great art.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Wendell posted:

French comics have such great art.

It's crazy how different they can be from NA comics. There's this whole artistic language that's developed largely independently from big 2 comics. Movement, panel layouts, even just artistic styles. It doesn't feel like they've had a significant influence on american books, but that's probably just because I don't have enough understanding of the history. It's like the manga you didn't think about.

There is a convergence in the indie space, though, with stuff like the crocodiles and other pieces being not markedly different from indie books in NA.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Jordan7hm posted:

It's crazy how different they can be from NA comics. There's this whole artistic language that's developed largely independently from big 2 comics.

American comics were literally prohibited in France after WWII

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Alhazred posted:

American comics were literally prohibited in France after WWII

lol crazy frenchies how'd they get by without batman

e: to not just shitpost in this thread for once:

I really love the hourglass composition of this page from Circle of Blood. It gives such a great momentum and impact to the last panel reveal of the prison gang.

The subsequent fight is a nice example of just some smooth action, too.

RandallODim fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Aug 15, 2018

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

You know who it is

Love that Cannonball

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

RandallODim posted:

lol crazy frenchies how'd they get by without batman

e: to not just shitpost in this thread for once:

I really love the hourglass composition of this page from Circle of Blood. It gives such a great momentum and impact to the last panel reveal of the prison gang.

The subsequent fight is a nice example of just some smooth action, too.

The only part that bothers me about this is Frank yelling "Hiiiyah!"

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Wow, it's missing the feet and everything.
EDIT: Okay on second look the packages are a little too small.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

People give Liefield crap about it but the simple fact is the X-Force has no feet. THat's canon.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

David D. Davidson posted:

Wow, it's missing the feet and everything.
EDIT: Okay on second look the packages are a little too small.

Legit question: Are you talking about their dicks, or do you just have an odd way of spelling “pouches?”

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
For the true Liefeld effect the groins need action lines.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

10 Beers posted:

The only part that bothers me about this is Frank yelling "Hiiiyah!"

And not the fact that Frank was based on a middle-aged Peter Cushing? I know your family was gunned down, buddy, but why the long face?

I was going to say Christopher Lee at first, but in all fairness Castle never went around Europe assassinating Nazis so that’s a point in Scaramanga’s favor.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Bad costume time. This is Namorita, and I'm not sure of the context behind this thing.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Say Nothing posted:

Bad costume time. This is Namorita, and I'm not sure of the context behind this thing.

My guess is that issue was the artist's last and that costume is a straight up gently caress you to the next guy for having to draw it.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Say Nothing posted:

She gets beaten to a pulp and her hair cut off by a salvager in a robo suit called Sea Urchin, who's salvaging Atlantean artifacts. Namor tries to convince her not to seek retribution but she dons that Atlantean armor(I swear she calls it a "battle carapace") and goes after him. Even as a teenager reading that book I was like "Huh?" I think it lasted for 1 or 2 issues, and I'm pretty sure all of them were drawn by Bagley.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Is Namorita the one that turned into a sea snake?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I thought she was the dead one.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Lurdiak posted:

Is Namorita the one that turned into a sea snake?

No, that was Marrina.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

All these Atlanteans look alike to me.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

10 Beers posted:

She gets beaten to a pulp and her hair cut off by a salvager in a robo suit called Sea Urchin, who's salvaging Atlantean artifacts. Namor tries to convince her not to seek retribution but she dons that Atlantean armor(I swear she calls it a "battle carapace") and goes after him. Even as a teenager reading that book I was like "Huh?" I think it lasted for 1 or 2 issues, and I'm pretty sure all of them were drawn by Bagley.

Thought you meant sewer urchin at first, that's a crossover I could get behind

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

goatface posted:

I thought she was the dead one.

She died, then came back in Nova, and is now in limbo because some higher up saw she came back and didn't like it.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Lurdiak posted:

I think Marrina was actually an alien, not an Atlantean.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

Sounds like Lurdiak owns a Make Atlantis Great Again hat.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

10 Beers posted:

Do Atlanteans have an invulnerable left leg that they don't need their armor to cover?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

ecavalli posted:

Sounds like Lurdiak owns a Make Atlantis Great Again hat.

It keeps being destroyed, there's nowhere to go but up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Another bad costume - Miniskirt Hawkeye.