Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Got Tidus USB off the dollar draw for the water items. Between having that USB and two BSB's for him, it's probably time to dive him, right?

Edit: Also, what are the best abilities to give him?

Referee fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Aug 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

tidus' usb is extremely good and you want to pair it with a well honed sapphire shot since the usb blitzball is a ranged attack, with a water element boost. once you dive him he'll be making GBS threads out double cast sapphire shots with a chaser and feelin' fine

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Yea that's a good one, with usb he'll really just want to spam sapphire shots.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Cowcaster posted:

tidus' usb is extremely good and you want to pair it with a well honed sapphire shot since the usb blitzball is a ranged attack, with a water element boost. once you dive him he'll be making GBS threads out double cast sapphire shots with a chaser and feelin' fine

Avalerion posted:

Yea that's a good one, with usb he'll really just want to spam sapphire shots.

Awesome, thank you both!

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

stab posted:

So uhh

What would be the best 4 to use for max "Cloud fucks poo poo upness"?
And embarassing admission:

How does Cloud's USB with solider mode work?
What does his glint actually do?
Am i missing anything for Cloud at this point (lol)

Depends on what you're doing, but I would say USB2 (clim), glint, and AOSB for sure as a baseline for 90% of things, possibly bsb for 4th if the fight is going to run long and you'll run out of hones of wind abilities, but really those 3 should be all you need for most stuff.

Cowcaster posted:

i'm at the point where i need to start focusing on elements/realms in my draws instead of just pulling for meta crackers and waifus, and wind/7 is one of my weaker ones, but i have a couple of dupes on this one. what's the second banner for the event look like?

http://dirge.tv/ffrk/event-list/ has links to banner items on reddit, banner 2 is pretty weak unless you need aerith stuff or yuffie USB, otherwise it's barret, cait sith, redXIII, and cid. Unless you're specifically pulling for torment because this gives you your buffer (cait sith and/or red XIII BSB) and healer, plus some... dps I guess.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Aug 17, 2018

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Did a dollar pull and two pulls on ff7 last night. Dollar pull got me vincent BSB, the first time I've gotten anything worthwhile off one, then the two pulls got me a disco and a rainbow each, yielding Sephiroth USB/Glint and Vincent Chain, plus the one random non-Cloud/Seph/Vincent BSB on the banner.

It was a good night, especially since I went in already having Vincent's LMR for fire dualcast. Sephiroth going 3 bars deep and then glint -> USB -> spam crimson cross or w/e the gently caress is going to be hilariously effective, I think.

NinjaDebugger fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Aug 17, 2018

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

hmm that second banner doesn't look that good but i *did* just legend dive yuffie...

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

stab posted:

So uhh

What would be the best 4 to use for max "Cloud fucks poo poo upness"?
And embarassing admission:

How does Cloud's USB with solider mode work?
What does his glint actually do?
Am i missing anything for Cloud at this point (lol)

Off the top of my head, you're missing cross slash (his second unique), fenrir overdrive (his first burst), and whatever his KH relics are. I think that might be it though?

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Thanks for all the help on the nightmare dungeons. Managed to finish a few last night.

On another note, is sephiroth worth a full dive if I have his usb2 and glint? Didnt seem to be too crazy compared to tidus' or yuffies.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

NGDBSS posted:

The side battle with Seifer is actually the best place to grind. But if you're having issues with it there's an easily exploitable pattern. Seifer's first attack on Tyro (well, front row, but only Tyro is there) will hurt, but his turn 2 Fira is actually 40% current HP (so it won't kill anyone) and his turn 3 attack instead targets Elarra. Turn 4 is AoE Fira at ~600 damage, and turns 5/6 target whoever has the highest proportion of HP. Turn 7 is the rude double-hit AoE but ideally Seifer should be dead by then. So how do you deal with this? On turn 1, have Elarra cast Fat Chocobo and Tyro cast Biora. On turn 2 have Elarra again cast Fat Chocobo and Tyro use Biora Strike. (By now the latter ability should be safe to use with Seifer at or below half health.) It may sound unsafe to go in, guns blazing, but given the AI and your likely stats Seifer is incapable of killing either character before his turn 4 and unlikely to do before his turn 5. This gives you time to push him to 50% HP, and so on their turns 3+ Tyro can attack with Biora Strike (or his SB) while Elarra spams healing.

That's what I did once I realized it was tight enough that I needed both chocobos, but it's still very close. At 29, the level you reach him if you haven't done any grinding before now (or at least the level I reached him) he won't get below half health off the second summon, and the counter messes logistics up. At 31 and 32 the killing blow goes off a fraction of a second before his 7th attack (there's a reason the boss strats say "try using speed 1"). At 33 and up you do enough damage to shave a whole cycle off and it becomes much more comfortable.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

More dumb questions: how do I go about getting Chain Firaja? I'm not finished with Nightmares yet; is it after that?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

you gotta collect rock candies from doing torment dungeons and cash them in at the torment dungeon shop for it, basically like the gysahl green shop with a different resource. i don't think the torments are locked behind the nightmare dungeons like magicites are but i'm honestly not sure because i had them all done before the new torments showed up

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
the FF7 d240 was a ginormous pain in my butt, but I beat it. I don’t think I can get the d280 below 40% yet. I did get Cuch below 40% this time though and got enough rock candies to get Chain Firaja

With Chain Firaja on Vincent, I tackled Isgebind again.

The early Trance activation on Vivi helped, but 8’ve shaved roughly 6-8 seconds off my previous average times against Isgebind with Vincent’s CSB and Chain Firaja!

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

NGDBSS posted:

I got Cloud USB1 off a dollar draw.

:wtf::hf::getin:

IllegallySober posted:

Got Tidus USB off the dollar draw for the water items. Between having that USB and two BSB's for him, it's probably time to dive him, right?

NinjaDebugger posted:

Did a dollar pull and two pulls on ff7 last night.

Dollar Pull? In the words of Ceodore, Huh?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Kheldarn posted:

Dollar Pull? In the words of Ceodore, Huh?

You can single-pull once per banner for 100 gems i.e. a dollar, instead of the usual 300. Don't let people reporting only their good pulls fool you, the odds aren't any better. It's just the smallest step into actually spending money on the game

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Bruceski posted:

You can single-pull once per banner for 100 gems i.e. a dollar, instead of the usual 300. Don't let people reporting only their good pulls fool you, the odds aren't any better. It's just the smallest step into actually spending money on the game

Oh. Neat. I've only ever seen a Single For 5 Mythril option. I guess I need to look harder. Thanks!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Kheldarn posted:

Oh. Neat. I've only ever seen a Single For 5 Mythril option. I guess I need to look harder. Thanks!

You can also pay 5 mythril for the single-pull but that isn't any cheaper.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Bruceski posted:

Yeah, like I said, it's the first time (out of like 10 or so banners, maybe more) that I've gotten anything worthwhile off the dollar pull. It's a 14% chance to get anything useful, and even then you have to avoid a double.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Kheldarn posted:

It's a trap, down that way leads suffering (and just enough successes to make me do it every once in a while. Not every banner like I used to, though.) :)

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Bruceski posted:

I will wholeheartedly concur. For every good dollar draw I get 7 to 10 pieces of trash.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
Reddit nerds mathed out that you'll spend an average of ~$7.50 for one 5/6* doing every dollar pull.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Cowcaster posted:

you gotta collect rock candies from doing torment dungeons and cash them in at the torment dungeon shop for it, basically like the gysahl green shop with a different resource. i don't think the torments are locked behind the nightmare dungeons like magicites are but i'm honestly not sure because i had them all done before the new torments showed up

They're locked behind doing about half of them, because nu torments are one of the last things that the Acolyte Archive unlocks, so you have to clear all your cheevo books first.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
It doesn't really matter anyway; if you can't beat all the Nightmares there's like a 0% chance you can handle any iteration of the nutorments.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Just ran through my inventory (not the vault tho, that's my next project) and maxed any item that I had multiples of to combine or that had +res/dmg, I have literally not spent an upgrade mat since like the first week or 2 of playing, only using garbage items to upgrade stuff with slowly.

I still have like 200-300 each of 5* upgrade mats, not to mention lower level ones; it's pretty loving crazy, but I do have a completely full vault so we'll see how far it gets me. I need to categorize my vault in a spreadsheet tho, I did my inventory already, but I have so many SBs that aren't maxed for characters, and I only have a slight clue of what I actually have; I mildly hate myself for my poor soulbreak management style, but I did not expect to actually want to keep playing this game into end-game content.

*edit*

This does bring up 3 questions since I'm beginning to hit walls in the game that straight dick hammering with OP USBs can't handle:

1) 5* relics that do not have +res/dmg on them, is there any reason to keep them if I can't combine them? It seems like 6* stuff is better for stat sticking, provided I have enough 6* to round out 5man teams of like 3 samurais or 3 white mage or whatever.

2) With magicites, it seems like the only useful ones are the highest level guys, like I'm in 3*s now and it feels like what I will end up doing is just feeding any leveled 2* and 1* guys to 3* (or 4* when I get there) so that i can have 5 magicites that are 3* and give the biggest bonuses

3) Is there any reason to worry about maxing a bunch of dampen X element magicites? Since killing things faster is better than taking less damage 99.9% of the time, it seems like I'd always want to roll 5x level 10 +fire damage magicites or whatever (considering a 3* at max level) instead of a mix of dampen and enhance damage.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Aug 18, 2018

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

MF_James posted:

1) 5* relics that do not have +res/dmg on them, is there any reason to keep them if I can't combine them? It seems like 6* stuff is better for stat sticking, provided I have enough 6* to round out 5man teams of like 3 samurais or 3 white mage or whatever.
In general, no, but also you shouldn't ever be in a position to actually throw out 5* and above relics. Occasionally the realm synergy will save you on something like an event 260 or a torment. After a certain point you will sell all 3* and almost all 4*, but unless a 5* relic is insanely old and I have tons of better in both the same realm and item type, I don't really ever see the need to throw them out.

quote:

2) With magicites, it seems like the only useful ones are the highest level guys, like I'm in 3*s now and it feels like what I will end up doing is just feeding any leveled 2* and 1* guys to 3* (or 4* when I get there) so that i can have 5 magicites that are 3* and give the biggest bonuses
Exactly correct. 1* and 2* magicites are mostly useful for feeding to level 99 3* and above to get them extra stats via the inheritance system.

quote:

3) Is there any reason to worry about maxing a bunch of dampen X element magicites? Since killing things faster is better than taking less damage 99.9% of the time, it seems like I'd always want to roll 5x level 10 +fire damage magicites or whatever (considering a 3* at max level) instead of a mix of dampen and enhance damage.
Yes, holy goddamn yes. There is content in this game where you won't win a damage race, mitigation is the absolute most massively important thing in FFRK. It's helpful in 3* magicites and pretty vital in several 4* unless you massively outgear it. In my VII torment runs this week I ran spell ward and dampen fire/ice/lightning because Jenova SYNTHESIS just does an absolute fuckton of damage and the challenge is not so much doing damage to her but surviving for long enough to deplete her health.

That being said, don't freak out about having more than 1 or at most 2 of a given magicite unless you have a plan for them. 5* magicite will be out soon and that will completely invalidate a lot of lower level sub magicites. The ones you should really be concentrating on are Enkidu, Unicorn, and the imperil magicites, that's honestly all you super need from 3*.

Also please use scarletite/adamantite. You have way more than you'll ever use unless you're a turbowhale. Don't kill yourself using items to upgrade, I've been playing this dumb game for years and haven't done that since my first couple weeks and have never come close to running out.

Panic! at Nabisco fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Aug 18, 2018

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Missed out on Vincent's chain, though I really want it probably can't pull any more now with fest coming. :( Did get his bsb2 though so that might be useful somewhere.

And also Sephiroth bsb2, glint and aosb - is there anyway to run him effectively with this?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

MF_James posted:

Just ran through my inventory (not the vault tho, that's my next project) and maxed any item that I had multiples of to combine or that had +res/dmg, I have literally not spent an upgrade mat since like the first week or 2 of playing, only using garbage items to upgrade stuff with slowly.

I still have like 200-300 each of 5* upgrade mats, not to mention lower level ones; it's pretty loving crazy, but I do have a completely full vault so we'll see how far it gets me. I need to categorize my vault in a spreadsheet tho, I did my inventory already, but I have so many SBs that aren't maxed for characters, and I only have a slight clue of what I actually have; I mildly hate myself for my poor soulbreak management style, but I did not expect to actually want to keep playing this game into end-game content.

Unless you're a megawhale, you should be getting way more upgrade materials than you'll ever need. Right now I've got about 2600 giant scarletites and 3500 adamantites. I used to sell them for gil, but now even gil isn't a major concern. Use those scarletites for the love of god.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

MF_James posted:

Duplicate boosts offer diminishing returns - each stack of the same buff is half as effective as the last one. 5 Lv10 +fire magicites isn't +50% damage, it's roughly +18-19%.

On the other hand, you could do two +fire and a -ice (as an example) and get 15% damage while also taking 6% less (again, assuming maxed 3*s) and still have two slots left over for whatever oddball secondary boosts you want to throw in, or for a utilitarian main-magicite like Enkidu or Unicorn.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Aug 18, 2018

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Dampen skills are very helpful additional dage mitigation, especially for 4* magicites and torments. Don't underestimate them.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?
I'm pretty sure there was a review of the new 6* nuTorment skills out there but I can't seem to find it. Does anyone have a link?

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
There’s not much to be gained reviewing the new 6*s. All of them are excellent as long as you have users for them.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

Neutral Zone Trap posted:

There’s not much to be gained reviewing the new 6*s. All of them are excellent as long as you have users for them.

This is the theme for all of the new 6* skills... most are just flat upgrades to existing abilities, and the rest are elemental variations.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
So yeah :stare:

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

personally i intend to go for the multi-elemental 6* abilities first

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Nihilarian posted:

personally i intend to go for the multi-elemental 6* abilities first

Same, and then whatever fits on whoever I have good SBs or dualcast LMs for. Or whatever I have lots of elemental boost for.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

God drat it Bartz, when I click on an enemy that means I want all of your attacks to go at that guy, not just the first

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

stab posted:

So yeah :stare:

I've gotten to the point where I'm breaking characters for the sake of finishing realms. Been working on completing IV this week:

superloosegoose
Dec 26, 2008
1/11 again, but I did get that super sick doublecast lmr for aerith to go with her fancy dive lm. Will the doublecast proc the aoe cura lm?

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

This was basically me copying my 280 Torment team for Bizarro Sephiroth and throwing in Barret (as opposed to Morrow who would have been faster) to push for the mission. Oof. First thing? Bring a loving chain if you want to actually kill the Arms in a reasonable time frame. I didn't and they consequently took f o r e v e r. The second thing I should have done would be to have given Aerith Hastega (to counteract the occasional slow proc that slipped through) or Memento of Prayer (to counteract the poison procs that tripped a number of uses of Last Stand). Similarly it's best to have either Unicorn to grant Astra or Enkidu to clear the poison dots up. For SBs I brought Yuffie BSB1, Cloud BSB2/USB/ASB, Shelke BSB (hey I actually used this at the end), Aerith USB2, and some irrelevant Barret stuff.

Otherwise, the trickiest part of this fight is in surviving the Arms. Ideally you'd ignore them, but while they're still up the Core is invincible. And while the Core is alive the Body only takes 20% damage from most elements. (Everything here completely ignores bio.) By default the arms carry no weaknesses, and each seems to have quite a bit more defense than the Body/Core/Head. And you can't just whip out a magicite team without forethought, because for any given element at most one Arm can even be damaged by it. (I'm familiar with the existence of Tidus and Friends, so if you have that then go to town.) Once they're finally down you can go after the Core (which now gets less health than either arm and +100% weakness to everything but bio) while swatting the Head for good measure so the Body doesn't slap you too much with Geostigma in the mean time. After the Core drops the Body gets a +50% weakness to everything but bio, so despite its ~660K health pool it will still die in short order.

One thing to keep in mind, though, is that while the Body takes severely reduced elemental damage it has no general resistance to damage. Which means I'm going to try this again with the non-elemental crowd to see how well they can do by rushing the Body down and ignoring all the side parts. (Edit: Nah, you need a chain to help out there. I tried but it was just so absurdly slow and my Godwall RW would have worn off at a bad time.)

NGDBSS fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Aug 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

GET IN THE BIN MIST DRAGON
took seven tries in a row and got very silly towards the end but sub 30d the bastard at last