Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
If you want the best fiction from white wolf, you have to turn to the Exalted comics. Wherein a group of people with nothing in common come together, do pretty much nothing and then quit after being exposed to the busted combat system. It's rare to see fiction writers understand the game on that level, and nothing has quite come close since

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Desiden posted:

I vaguely recall there was one or two of the clan novels that at least rose to the level of mediocre game fiction, but some of them were just hilariously stupid.

The only ones I am prepared to call worth reading were the ones Kathleen Ryan wrote, so Setite and Ravnos. The others were pretty ghastly.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I've been slowly chewing through the DA novel series again, after a decade. I'm almost to the part where the Dracon rapes Sascha Vykos to implant a seed of the Eldest before commiting suicide.

poo poo be trippy, yo.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Loomer posted:

I've been slowly chewing through the DA novel series again, after a decade. I'm almost to the part where the Dracon rapes Sascha Vykos to implant a seed of the Eldest before commiting suicide.

poo poo be trippy, yo.

Oh, was that explicit? It gets brought up in Beckett V20, but I thought it was part of the overall retcon to make Vykos less of an awful stereotype.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I liked a couple of the DA books. Setite, I think. (Also by Kathleen Ryan, because the lady liked her some darkness-loving snakes.) Ravnos and Brujah, by Sarah Roark and Myranda Kalis respectively. I liked their work on VRev and they did decent work on their novels. Don't think I read any others or at least they left absolutely no impression.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Rand Brittain posted:

Oh, was that explicit? It gets brought up in Beckett V20, but I thought it was part of the overall retcon to make Vykos less of an awful stereotype.

Yeah, it's in the final clan novel. It also got hinted at during the modern nights clan novels, IIRC.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Rand Brittain posted:

WW fiction has occasionally been great, but it's more frequently been bad, so I often just ignore it unless I heard from somebody else that it's worth reading that bit.

Scion 2e, incidentally, has some really great fiction written by Kieron Gillian of The Wicked and the Divine, which people aren't talking about as much as I expected.

I can't believe gillen wrote it because there's not a single music reference anywhere!

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Blockhouse posted:

I can't believe gillen wrote it because there's not a single music reference anywhere!

a LOT of puns though.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.
Two words:

Eternal Hearts

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Sion posted:

a LOT of puns though.

The new apple of discord was fun.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I tend to like the blue book / hunter fiction because it tends to lean more on the gothic Poe / Lovecraft “normal person descending into hell” archetype. That’s a lot easier to pull off as a premise than “extremely dangerous immortal theater kid in blood feud with extremely dangerous immortal theater kid”, or “extremely dangerous immortal theater kid numbly recalls mortal life”, or whatever.

I mean I wouldn’t call it literature but sometimes it actually works as horror fic in the traditional Lovecraft mold (ie a horror story conveyed in first person retrospect)

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Rand Brittain posted:

WW fiction has occasionally been great, but it's more frequently been bad, so I often just ignore it unless I heard from somebody else that it's worth reading that bit.

Scion 2e, incidentally, has some really great fiction written by Kieron Gillian of The Wicked and the Divine, which people aren't talking about as much as I expected.
Leah demonstrates the challenges of Fatebinding.

I enjoyed the header fiction in the revised Tzimisce clanbook but that might just have been carried on the strength of "In answer to your question, I looked to Hell."

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I honestly love the way Requiem 2E reads. Not because the complaints are wrong, but because that desperate, over-extended, trying-too-hard flavor is exactly the point. That's what vampires are. They get to magically bamboozle mortals into believing their sexy/spooky bullshit, but convincing yourself and each other is another story.

100% this. Requiem vampires tell themselves that Only Lovers Left Alive is the movie that best captures the Kindred experience. They tell each other this loudly and often, to drown out the little voice inside that knows it's really What We Do in the Shadows.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"

Dawgstar posted:

I still smile every time I see the word 'jander.' His characters liked to jander.

"Jander" was a word that I assumed was in common usage through most of my young years.

I did a read/reread of Shadowrun novels a year or two ago to see what held up, and for a licensed RPG novel, House of the Sun really holds up.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

GimpInBlack posted:

100% this. Requiem vampires tell themselves that Only Lovers Left Alive is the movie that best captures the Kindred experience. They tell each other this loudly and often, to drown out the little voice inside that knows it's really What We Do in the Shadows.

What We Do In the Shadows is especially apt for 2E because of the whole "Elders in torpor pick up on random bits of modern knowledge" thing, so of course an old vampire will get involved in ebay sniping on waking from their deathless sleep.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

unseenlibrarian posted:

What We Do In the Shadows is especially apt for 2E because of the whole "Elders in torpor pick up on random bits of modern knowledge" thing, so of course an old vampire will get involved in ebay sniping on waking from their deathless sleep.

The 'ancient feud' is also perfect.
This scene is 100% Requiem.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaIXZsmUl4I

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
Vampires sure are a dumb lame splat for idiots. :haw:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Crasical posted:

At least they're a short route to the one logical solution to any superhuman sub-clade existing in society that can't be fully democratized without more than moderate social dislocation.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Crasical posted:

you realize that there's a lot of fun to be had in being a pretensious dipshit in a game, right

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS
So apparently a show of the video game Vampyr is under development. Which in terms of setting and stuff could be kinda cool in its own right, but extra :smug: if it actually gets made and licensed on netflix while v5 tries to "capture the zeitgeist".

Probably won't, since most of these development projects never go anywhere, but still.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I would love for someone to eat Paradox's lunch on getting vampire poo poo to market in other media forms, since they absolutely said they were aiming to do a transmedia blitz at first.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

When it comes to gothic vamp(i)yr(e) fiction adapted to television, there’s only one name on everyone’s bloody lips… the guy who directed the “Pretty Fly For A White Guy” video

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

Mors Rattus posted:

you realize that there's a lot of fun to be had in being a pretensious dipshit in a game, right

I'm being facetious. Check my post history, Vampire is one of my favorite lines, and half the fun I have with it is that you're a drat vampire, which is basically an unrestricted licence to be as much of a poncy melodramatic ham, spouting florid gothic prose as you please. You're already cursed to never see the sun again, so you might as well have some fun and go all-in on it.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Vampyr as a game basically consisted of poor faux-Bloodborne combat interspersed with arriving in a new district and spending a full half hour staring into dead-eyed NPCs tell you about their life history so a TV show would be an improvement.

Seriously, I liked Life is Strange, but I played and finished both Vampyr and Vampire Bloodlines in succession and as horribly janky as Bloodlines is (even after years of fan patches) it's still the better game with the more engaging gameplay (as awful as the combat mechanics are, at least it has something besides combat) and better story.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

bewilderment posted:

Vampyr as a game basically consisted of poor faux-Bloodborne combat interspersed with arriving in a new district and spending a full half hour staring into dead-eyed NPCs tell you about their life history so a TV show would be an improvement.

Seriously, I liked Life is Strange, but I played and finished both Vampyr and Vampire Bloodlines in succession and as horribly janky as Bloodlines is (even after years of fan patches) it's still the better game with the more engaging gameplay (as awful as the combat mechanics are, at least it has something besides combat) and better story.

Yeah, in Bloodlines it doesn't feel like the characters are expositioning at me. And the conversations are done like ages quicker.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Oh, I agree with all of that, though I did really like the basic period setting, focus on a doctor at a time when medicine was only really starting to get professionalized, and the creepiness of the power-reward from "grooming" NPCs. I think there's plenty that you could do there that could be fun in a show, but its very much a knockoff of the vampire material that came before.

I just think it would be deeply amusing if that got very popular as our image of vampirism for the 2020s, while Swedish Dracula's tryhard edginess was considered the derivative.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

NuWW is trying to get people to request the WoD Documentary on Netflix via the latter's survey.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Of course they are.

dr_ether
May 31, 2013

A lot of urban horror involving vampires is going to look derivative once they start filming the tv series of The Vampire Chronicles. Chris Rice, Anne Rice's son, is in charge of writing the screen play for that. It formerly had Bryan Fuller attached as show runner.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

dr_ether posted:

A lot of urban horror involving vampires is going to look derivative once they start filming the tv series of The Vampire Chronicles. Chris Rice, Anne Rice's son, is in charge of writing the screen play for that. It formerly had Bryan Fuller attached as show runner.

god drat it

dr_ether
May 31, 2013

Bryan Fuller can't seem to sit still on a show!

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

I'm actually down for this. Not sure if Chris is a decent screenwriter but it could be a good series.

How homoerotic will it be is the real question very. It likely be very homoerotic

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

dr_ether posted:

For a second I thought Bryan Fuller was Kurt Fuller and got extremely confused.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

joylessdivision posted:

I'm actually down for this. Not sure if Chris is a decent screenwriter but it could be a good series.

How homoerotic will it be is the real question very. It likely be very homoerotic

I don't know if I was clear; I love Bryan Fuller's work. I'm disappointed that he's not staying on.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

joylessdivision posted:

The real question is 'how much will Anne Rice's sudden swerve into hardcore but weird Christianity influence this'

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Desiden posted:

Oh, I agree with all of that, though I did really like the basic period setting, focus on a doctor at a time when medicine was only really starting to get professionalized, and the creepiness of the power-reward from "grooming" NPCs. I think there's plenty that you could do there that could be fun in a show, but its very much a knockoff of the vampire material that came before.

I just think it would be deeply amusing if that got very popular as our image of vampirism for the 2020s, while Swedish Dracula's tryhard edginess was considered the derivative.

The entirety of treating vampirism as a medical concern, the way the game doesn't just let you groom people to be consumed but makes you want to in some cases with how terrible they are as people (a pacifist run is hard, and this guy is a serial killer--it can't be wrong to take the law into my hands here, can it?), and how it takes a weird detective turn in places are all great ideas. And I like the way it leans into the vampiric melodrama.

Unfortunately, few of its elements are really cohesive and it feels like a jumbled mess of half-finished systems, any one of which would've made a great game if they'd just given it more focus.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Dawgstar posted:

NuWW is trying to get people to request the WoD Documentary on Netflix via the latter's survey.

They should try for Amazon Prime instead. That's got plenty of lovely not really documentaries on it.

Speaking of the WOD thing though, some people were saying over at RPG.net that the documentary has bits where Swedrac tries to insert himself into WW history. Like, something would happen in the 90s and then they'd cut to him saying "yeah, that was a hard time for us". Other people were disputing it, but I can't be assed to watch the crapfest to find out. Anyone else watch it and have an opinion?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Desiden posted:

They should try for Amazon Prime instead. That's got plenty of lovely not really documentaries on it.

Speaking of the WOD thing though, some people were saying over at RPG.net that the documentary has bits where Swedrac tries to insert himself into WW history. Like, something would happen in the 90s and then they'd cut to him saying "yeah, that was a hard time for us". Other people were disputing it, but I can't be assed to watch the crapfest to find out. Anyone else watch it and have an opinion?

It appears to be available through Amazon UK, but I don't care enough to properly configure my VPN just for that.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014
If they want a community of some sort, or to encourage their fandom, they should put up a forum. 'We're just putting out a few core books and relying on literally anyone else to do the rest of the work, if you want to talk about it go to their forum' isn't exactly fostering confidence in this 'One World of Darkness', especially since at least some of their targeted audience vehemently dislikes anything associated with Onyx Path.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Honestly I don't think they have the budget or manpower to do anything now.