Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

People are really bad at evaluating risks in general, and especially when they see what seems like a really attractive out to a problem. Forget MLMs, people have been running the same scams for hundreds of years, and most of them operate around the same basic principle of 'Hey you can make some quick money very easily here, promise'. MLMs are actually at something of an advantage because they rely on propagating the scam through its own victims, which makes it seem more trustworthy. Plus, there is a very small number of people that actually manage to make money on them as a sort of 'proof of concept'. Sort of like playing carnival games - they are all rigged against you, but someone wins just often enough to convince people they have a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

The car you like is actually bad.

Subnote: NEVER go to the car subforum, it is the most depressing place on this entire dead website. Here's a fun quote from today, with bonus CryptoCurrency BWM

Liquid Communism posted:

Hey, how about we don't go kicking a dude while he's down and admitting to making some lovely decisions thanks to what was, by all accounts, the divorce from hell.

Agreed and also AI is a great time full of good people having a laff and helping each other out

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

e: quote is not edit

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

epic bird guy posted:

Agreed and also AI is a great time full of good people having a laff and helping each other out

AI is the cool place to hang out. You can find most of the cool people there. In AI you can just chill and do whatever and totally relax. "Take it easy" is the AI motto, for example, that's how laid back it is there. Show up if you want to have a good time. Another good reason to show up is if you want to hang out with friends.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Growing up my close friend's family was a big Amway family, but I was in like elementary school so I had no idea what an MLM was. I remember going on road trips with them and of course we'd listen to all the Amway sales pitch tapes. I can see how listening to that kind of stuff can get people amped up to buy in. After all, it's sales, that's the point.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

It seems like there's a spectrum of MLMs that go from actual sales/product based to ones that basically purely emphasize recruiting and are barely distinguishable from old-school pyramid schemes (except the legal requirement to have a product). Neither are good but I'm much more tolerant of people hustling to sell actual wares than people trying to "help me out with a great business opportunity"

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Weatherman posted:

AI is the cool place to hang out. You can find most of the cool people there. In AI you can just chill and do whatever and totally relax. "Take it easy" is the AI motto, for example, that's how laid back it is there. Show up if you want to have a good time. Another good reason to show up is if you want to hang out with friends.

AI is the kind of place where you end up making actual IRL friends and end up driving 8 hours for an all-goon race team staying in an all-goon apartment and go "oh, wait - none of us are neckbeard goons, this is totally awesome." And then we spend all weekend racing and wrenching on cars, grilling on the porch and drinking beer.

Mammon Loves You
Feb 13, 2011
I work on an app for independent business owners that does invoicing, inventory, data analytics, etc. and we added a budgeting tool earlier this year to keep our customers engaged in using the data analytics that we offer to help run their businesses better. This morning, like so many other times I see a customer request come through that says "Help I can't create/edit a historical budget" and I shake my head and think of BFC and wonder what possesses somebody to get into independent business ownership if you don't understand the concept of a budget.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Liquid Communism posted:

Dying of exposure can be extremely GWM, imagine how cheap the funeral will be if the vultures and coyotes have a few weeks to pick you over first!

Hey, how about we don't go kicking a dude while he's down and admitting to making some lovely decisions thanks to what was, by all accounts, the divorce from hell.

I'm not encouraging anyone to go point and laugh at him, and if he didn't want something awful forums posters to read that post, he wouldn't have posted it on the something awful forums.

Virigoth posted:

Lol you’re in the wrong thread.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
the dude may have been down & out but that don't excuse crypto

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Can the many tree posts from r/legaladvice be considered BWM? Because they cost a lot of people a lot of money.
https://twitter.com/legaladvice_txt/status/1030485040940150784
https://np.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/982hxz/a_neighbour_of_mine_cut_down_20_trees_of_mine/

quote:

This could likely be in the "she'll have to sell her house and have any income garnished for the rest of her life" neighborhood.

If these were mature white oak, say over 30 years old, they could be in the neighborhood of $30-40k each.

It's not JUST the value of the wood, nor the cost to replace it with a sapling. You're to be made WHOLE. That means the money it takes to source (find) equal trees, dig them up safely, transport them, plant them, and have the survive for at least a year before they can be considered established.

It's also about the devaluation of the property should you ever sell it.

You can settle for the cash value and then decide what you want to do with the money. You probably don't have to replant anything.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Bonus this is in Oregon - which, I don't know if you realize, likes trees. Treble damages for trees.

I don't know how tree law comes up so often in /r/legaladvice but it's amazing.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
The best MLM I ever saw was selling an LLC in a box that have you everything you needed to get a bunch of tax write-offs for having a home office and other crap, and the business you run is selling this LLC in a box to other people.

I mean, it was basically a tax evasion MLM, but I appreciated the elegance.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
That is loving genius. Do you have a referral link?

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

quote:

Tree Law

Plz be real plz be real

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Elysium posted:

Plz be real plz be real

It is, don't gently caress with people's trees.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I took an arboriculture class once and we had an entire section on calculating the value of trees for legal purposes. Tree law is big. Like, I think people don't realize how big of a deal trees are, and that's why you have so many of these cases where a neighbor thinks they can cut down someone's 100-year-old row of oaks.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I need more tree stories.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Ashcans posted:

People are really bad at evaluating risks in general, and especially when they see what seems like a really attractive out to a problem. Forget MLMs, people have been running the same scams for hundreds of years, and most of them operate around the same basic principle of 'Hey you can make some quick money very easily here, promise'. MLMs are actually at something of an advantage because they rely on propagating the scam through its own victims, which makes it seem more trustworthy. Plus, there is a very small number of people that actually manage to make money on them as a sort of 'proof of concept'. Sort of like playing carnival games - they are all rigged against you, but someone wins just often enough to convince people they have a shot.

One of the things I've been working on in my job is identifying behavior patterns that can generally be called "serial entrepreneurship" - payments to known pyramid scams, payments to/from affiliate marketing places, cryptocurrency, etc. Basically, someone who falls for this kind of get rich quick poo poo is not just BWM but also a risk to the financial institution because they're overly trusting of questionable counterparties and feel like the world owes them success at some point.

These often enough end up in check kiting, excessive overdrafts, third-party fraud exposure/losses, garnishment levies, etc because they descend into desperation as they get deeper into the scam and start throwing good money they don't have after bad money they're not getting back, and eventually start believing it's not their problem to pay debts because again, the world owes them success and riches.

Without an established and supported connection between the two, it's hard to point at the first set of behaviors and action a relationship for risk mitigation (i.e. closure) because there's not a pie chart for the people who want to make sure we aren't turning away a generally profitable segment. Bringing out a pie chart based on 3 years of data that shows people who do these things end up being charged off this % of the time and the net cashflow from account opening to charge off is negative across the data set.

It's looking hopeful but I'm trying to really identify confirmable payment behaviors that can't be argued as false positives (e.g. are they buying a product from avon or buying supplies).

Anyway, that's what I'm doing. It's a real low-priority side project but at least it might end up setting a precedent that MLM -> BWM -> client side risk in more detail than something like FICO which is not good for retail banking screens.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

George H.W. oval office posted:

I need more tree stories.

https://old.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/8svb20/usatn_an_rlegaladvice_wet_dream_neighbor_cut_down/ posted:

I live in an older neighborhood in a small town an hour away from Nashville. The cost of living in Nashville has shot up, as well as property values, and some people have begun to move into our sleepy little town to get more out of their dollar. A new-ish neighbor is an aspiring country singer, lives in their own world, and seems to have a lot of money.

This crudely drawn map shows the proximity of our two houses. The Future-Johnny-Cash™ recently built a front porch that includes a fireplace, hanging lights, the whole shebang. Johnny's only source of Hurt is that I had two old oak trees that cast his deck in shade during the prime hours (the map isn't aligned properly). He asked me to cut them down before, even offering to pay, but I did not comply.

When I returned from vacation last week, I came home to two tree stumps, mashed up grass, and a letter telling me to expect a venmo payment for $2000.

I know that trees are well loved around here, but I don't think that this information is common knowledge to all lawyers. What should I bring up when I meet with a legal representative to explore my punitive retribution?

https://old.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/8svb20/usatn_an_rlegaladvice_wet_dream_neighbor_cut_down/ posted:

Sorry for the delay, but that will be explained at the bottom.

The Arborist came out this past Wednesday. Prior to this meeting, and this whole mess, I had taken trees for granted. I simply assumed that you would plant a seed, they would grow, you'd cut them down, make poo poo, and the process would repeat. But no, I was informed by this mystic man of nature, trees are far more complex.

They takes years to root. Some trees need more dirt and ground to establish themselves. Some are more valuable in certain areas, with historical roots to the area. Some are incapable of growing in neighborhoods if infrastructure has since been built. And some trees produce different "veneer quality" logs.

White Oak Trees, or Quercus alba, is apparently one such tree that is highly sought after for veneer quality logs. They're used for furniture, for banjos here in the South, for all sorts of woodcraft. And, as the magical treeman told me, they're drat tough to grow in neighborhoods. Their roots don't let them grow in neighborhoods, and they shy from urban pollution. His point, is that if you had two white oak trees of veneer quality cut down from your front yard, is that they'd be irreplaceable. New ones could never regrow to that 100 year old size ever again.

Because of that, Treeman, God of Dollars, stated that $1000 per year, per tree, is a base compensation.

Sorry for the delay. My lawyer has been smelling blood in the water, and wanted to ensure whatever I posted wouldn't put our $200,000 tree case in jeopardy, and wanted to go over it first.

TL;DR: Don't cut down White Oaks in the birthplace of Old Hickory, or else.

loving with other people's trees is supremely BWM.

Different story:

https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/7p3ubz/updateoregon_neighbor_cut_down_trees_on_my/ posted:

Original post: https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/72h3rm/oregon_neighbor_cut_down_several_trees_on_my/

I hauled his rear end into court. Well, first, the arborist came, as did the surveyor. The trees were on my property and they were white oaks. The arborist gave me an estimate on having 15 mature white oaks brought and replanted on my property, which was just shy of $650,000, though he did say some trees would die and that would drive the cost up. I also had my property appraised, for the difference before and after losing my trees. It then became a question of whether I wanted to pursue my lost trees and see how much their lumber was worth, or sue for the replacement cost and loss of property value. Basically, do I want the trees back or do I want the cost of the ones I lost? (apparently you can't have both).

Well guys...

I PICKED THE TREES.

The actual court stuff started a lot sooner than I thought. We filed, a few weeks passed, and a few days before our day in court his lawyer reached out with a settlement offer. Apparently he was wealthier than I thought. We accepted and while I can't speak to the details of it...

I don't know how I feel about picking 15 trees over 650k (or potentially less in settlement) but he did get some other stuff in the settlement so /shrug. If we're just talking money, not taking a life-altering amount of money is pretty BWM but trees are also nice.

totalnewbie fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Aug 17, 2018

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/environment/homeowners-to-pay-settle-seattle-lawsuit-over-cutting-public-trees/

quote:

Homeowners to pay $440K as the city settles one lawsuit over West Seattle clear-cut

The city of Seattle will be paid $440,000 to settle one of two lawsuits it brought against homeowners last year in connection with the cutting down of trees in a public greenbelt.

The city accused the homeowners of laying waste to more than 150 trees in two neighboring sections of the West Seattle greenbelt to improve their views.

Stanley and Mary Harrelson and Marty and Karrie Riemer will together hand over $440,000 to settle the lawsuit in which they were named. The other suit is still active.

“These trees are a vital resource and this settlement puts people on notice,” City Attorney Pete Holmes said during a Wednesday news conference on the settlement.

In a statement, Holmes said the settlement accomplishes three goals. It recovers money to make the city whole, holds people accountable for the destruction and makes the public aware that harming public lands brings consequences, he said.

http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=20060526&slug=webtrees26#_ga=1.198855279.1969647791.1456040839

quote:

Judge pays off $600,000-plus bill for cutting park's trees

Federal Judge Jerome Farris has paid the city of Seattle more than $600,000 for cutting trees in Colman Park.

According to City Attorney Tom Carr and Ken Bounds, the head Seattle Parks and Recreation, Farris paid $500,000, plus interest, he had owed for damage done to 120 trees cut down in the park in 2002.

Farris said he had asked his gardener to cut down some trees on his Lake Washington view property along a fence bordering the park, in the Mount Baker neighborhood, but, he said, the gardener misunderstood his directions.

Farris, a judge on the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, told a jury in December that his gardener mistakenly clear-cut nearly an acre of the park. The gardener, Duc Huynh, said Farris had ordered him to cut down the trees.

loving with trees, especially trees that aren't yours (but even ones that are in some places), is VERY Bad With Money

Guinness fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Aug 17, 2018

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Whoah. I have some seriously old trees in my back yard that are going to have to come down at some point before they are a hazard, and I thought I was going to have to pay someone to get them. It looks like someone might be paying me for the pleasure.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Nocheez posted:

Whoah. I have some seriously old trees in my back yard that are going to have to come down at some point before they are a hazard, and I thought I was going to have to pay someone to get them. It looks like someone might be paying me for the pleasure.

It's unlikely unless you have some seriously valuable timber, and usually trees that are a hazard are not.

topenga
Jul 1, 2003
Tree removal poo poo:

https://www.statesman.com/news/local/west-lake-hills-and-homeowner-fight-over-tree-removal/GnYhay6dUIZ0cRyAnL3pyK/

Austin American Statesman posted:

The city has one of the most restrictive tree ordinances in Central Texas, and Attal is accused of violating it. City officials said it is illegal to remove a tree in the city limits, living or dead, without a permit.

By contrast, the City of Austin requires a permit to cut down a tree on residential property only if the trunk is 19 inches in diameter or wider.

The city wants Attal to replace them with an equivalent amount of juniper trees.

Westlake is kinda in/next to Austin, for reference. My only problem with this story is that the trees he removed are poo poo-rear end junipers, aka cedar. The kind of cedar that causes nothing but heartache, sinus problems, and pain in this area. gently caress those trees. gently caress them long, and gently caress them hard. That man deserves a loving medal.

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002
I get that trees are valuable, but your average rear end in a top hat doesn’t have hundreds of thousands laying around to settle a suit.

Do they get cut down to the point of bankruptcy? You can’t get blood from an oak.

E: seems easy to get caught redwood handed doing this. You’d be weeping from all the paper you willow

howdoesishotweb fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Aug 17, 2018

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Usually the courts will force a sale of assets and then possibly garnish wages. It's unlikely that anyone will see the stated dollar value but especially if someone owns a home they can be forced to sell it.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

howdoesishotweb posted:

I get that trees are valuable, but your average rear end in a top hat doesn’t have hundreds of thousands laying around to settle a suit.

Do they get cut down to the point of bankruptcy? You can’t get blood from an oak.

E: seems easy to get caught redwood handed doing this. You’d be weeping from all the paper you willow

Same as if you were ordered to pay damages for any other stupid thing you did. Wage garnishment & forced sale of assets mostly. Ultimately you can't get blood from a stone, but it'll still wreck you for a long time regardless.

At least in those two articles I linked above, it was rich homeowners in affluent neighborhoods cutting down trees (that weren't theirs) blocking their precious view. They had the money. Even after the judgement against them, it's possible their multimillion dollar property's land value went up more than the cost of the lawsuit since it'll take decades to regrow those trees.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Aug 17, 2018

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Nocheez posted:

The price is what it costs to replace trees, not what the market is to buy random ones off people's properties.

That said, email lumber yards or arborists before you cut them down, they *might* do it for free depending on the tree.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Is it worth invest 350k with Edward Jones to try and beat the market?
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/983szd/is_it_worth_invest_350k_with_edward_jones_to_try/

quote:

Mom is 62 and is looking to retire soon... one finance investor said she would run out of money then she found Edward Jones who said she would be good for the rest of her life.. she needs to move soon and get a small apt maybe living expenses 1500/mo plus food and general spendings..pension may cover 2-300 but thats it. No 401k. how can we maximize this money?

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!

howdoesishotweb posted:

Now yew've done it.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Sundae posted:

So, when I look at the situation, I see three struggling millennials with high debt, one with high debt and a good job (but one which is ill-suited for taking care of children), and my wife/me. We're the only stable set out of the family. There will still be two minors when the father hits 80. The youngest will be 15, I believe. If college is in the picture for the kids, there will likely be one still in college. The parents have, between mortgage and parent PLUS loans, over $400K of debt. That's just the stuff I know about (disclosures I made them tell me about before I married their daughter), but since then they also bought a super fancy camper, always seem to have new cars whenever I visit, etc etc. I highly doubt they're sitting on some amazing life insurance payout or inheritance, and even if they do, ten kids.

See, the real difference between millennials and boomers, is millennials actually care about their debt because it keeps them from living well. Boomers do not give a poo poo about their debt because they've been allowed to live high off of it - and are STILL living high off of it - and they're going to die soon so who gives a poo poo, just take on more.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

howdoesishotweb posted:

speaking of redwoods

(Illinois)Neighbor, cut down a rare 150-year-old tree that has been in my family for generations

quote:

Recently a great aunt of mine died, and we needed to send a week in Washington State, and we asked a neighbor to take care of our five cats, two dogs, and 100+ chickens. We came back this morning and my parents had dropped me off at school this morning straight from the airport before heading home. While my dad was inspecting the property, he noticed that our 150-year-old giant sequoia was gone. My Great-Great Grandfather had planted the tree after returning from California, and it's not native to Northern Illinois but with the right care it can survive, you just have to be careful about windburn in the winter. Now the tree itself isn't that large because it's still young and the winters here (like this one that won't end because we have loving snow in April) stunt its annual growth. Upon the first confrontation, the neighbor admitted he had cut it down but upon further questioning will say nothing/denies doing it at all and my parents really have no idea what to do from here, and I want to be able to help them.

quote:

On to the real update I don't have the full picture I was tangentially involved after my original post at best. My parents ended up getting a lawyer (obviously), and it ended up growing to a team of three lawyers. It started with them billing hourly, but the guy ended up doing something to end up pissing them off so much that they switched over to being paid on contingency and we got lawyers costs included in our settlement. And for those of you saying follow the lumber you ended up being right, there is a house in Michigan that will be constructed using lumber gained from our tree. I never did find out about his motive for cutting down our tree and apparently its bad enough to get the "I'll tell you when you are older" phrase from my dad. But generally, it was good news, one day my dad came in all excited saying about how "we own him, we own his kids, and we own his grandkids' grandkids." It turns out we are going to be getting three 50-year-old sequoias instead of 1 big 150-year-old sequoia because they will be easier to transport. My parents say that we will also plant a new sapling Sequoia when I go off to college.

It's still bittersweet though, we still don't have our tree back, the neighbor is going to have to sell his farm to pay for it all and when its all said and done those three trees may not even survive through their first winter here anyway and we are out of a monetary settlement that could have paid for the college of both me and any children I may end up having.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

quote:

It started with them billing hourly, but the guy ended up doing something to end up pissing them off so much that they switched over to being paid on contingency

This is when you know it's about to get good

quote:

But generally, it was good news, one day my dad came in all excited saying about how "we own him, we own his kids, and we own his grandkids' grandkids."

Hnnngghhhh

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Fitzy Fitz posted:

speaking of redwoods

(Illinois)Neighbor, cut down a rare 150-year-old tree that has been in my family for generations

drat, that update definitely is in the right thread. Trees are cool and all, but I can't wrap my head around the decision to take three trees versus a life changing amount of money for your family.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Just how do you decide to cut down someone else's trees without ever thinking "this is probably super illegal and I'm certain to get caught"

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Best I can figure is they think it's akin to mowing your neighbor's overgrown lawn. In one of the stories a neighbor thought the trees needed to go because one time they dropped some branches in the road during a storm. Another one had his neighbor's tree removed for blocking his view. The judge who lost to the city was trying to get a better view too. They're just plants! Who cares about some drat nuisance plants??

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Yeah people griping about something outside of their property line "spoiling their view" will never cease to make me laugh. There's only one way to make sure you won't get your view spoiled by future development, and that is to own all the land in between you and the view.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug
Bitcoin, Forex, and Candles: There is unrest in the forest, there is trouble with the trees...

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

canyoneer posted:

Yeah people griping about something outside of their property line "spoiling their view" will never cease to make me laugh. There's only one way to make sure you won't get your view spoiled by future development, and that is to own all the land in between you and the view.

I would have some really great sunset views if I could chop down all the trees across the street, and demolish about 5-6 houses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
In regards to adopting, there is a federal adoption assistance program which provides a monthly check to cover expenses well into 18-20ish years of age. Not only that, but fost adopted medically fragile children get more money as well as Medi - Cal or equivalent in that state to cover medical expenses. If the older parents die or are too old to care for the children then social workers will try to find next of kin able to take them in, but if they do not have the space or the financial security then the social workers will find other qualified fost adopt families (this varies a bit by state too). It's one of the reasons that foster adoption is one of the best ways to adopt- much of the child's expenses will already be covered by the state anyway.

Depending on the bio sibling's relationships with the adopted kids, just leaving them high and dry is kind of hosed up. True it isn't their responsibility, but if those adopted children had bonded with them for years only to discover they'd rather not have anything to do with people that aren't their flesh and blood it can be a traumatic experience for them.