Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

I’m at work and can’t watch it. Did they do the right thing and get Kuwabara’s voice for Okuyasu or are we living in a lovely hell reality?

We're living in the reality where the president's big scam is about diamonds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
i'm like 99% sure okuyasu doesn't talk in that trailer.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
The line everyone thinks is Okuyasu (My moment has finally arrived! Say goodbye to this world!) is almost def Keicho or maybe Angelo yelling a bit gruffer. Koichi also doesn't talk in that trailer so it's not weird Oku doesn't

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I didn't even notice that Okuyasu himself even appeared in the trailer until like the third time I saw it, so yeah, very unlikely he spoke.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

It's good to see others with refined taste in wanting Okuyasu to have Kuwabara's voice.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Okuyasu has the kind of voice that seems impossible to emulate, so I'm really interested in seeing what they do. He was also Knuckle in HxH, and his voice is alright dubbed, but I don't know how well it would work here since they're pretty different characters.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
What company handles the dubs anyway? Is Chris Sabat even part of that company's typical VA cast or what?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm pretty sure Viz is handling the dub (though correct me if I'm wrong) because they have this weird relationship with Toonami where they'll just give them shows like Hunter x Hunter or JoJo months before the same episodes come out physically. They're pulling from an LA talent pool, as do most dubs.

Now, Chris Sabat is Texas-based, as are most of the voice actors who work primarily for Funimation. It's not impossible that he could voice Okuyasu; he made a cameo in the Viz dub of One Punch Man to fulfill a joke about Piccolo. However, that was apparently a nightmare to coordinate. It's much simpler, apparently, to get LA talent for Funimation, considering that, say, Matt Mercer currently voices Hit in Dragon Ball Super.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

I regret to inform you that he just sounds like a regular teen dude instead of a juvenile delinquent

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

TheLoneStar posted:

It's good to see others with refined taste in wanting Okuyasu to have Kuwabara's voice.
I just want to see an updated version of this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nScJwkDWvJA

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick

Pretty sure Oku is the one who says "You are NOT getting away!" at 0:48

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Ryaomon posted:

Pretty sure Oku is the one who says "You are NOT getting away!" at 0:48

Yep

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
idk that one sounds like josuke to me.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
yeah maybe this is an extension of the Goon Face Blindness, but that just sounds like Josuke

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Pomplamoose posted:

Which one? Can you link/timstamp it?

the Analogy at the end of the second trailer where Venon jacks up a robber

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/pKjd/status/1030008950048022528

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Yeeeeeeeeeessss

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Oh shiiiiiiit, Coda's back!

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

https://twitter.com/comic_natalie/status/1030107062900932609?s=21

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uw2gV-oa1pQ

And the PV

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

I recently started reading Steel Ball Run after watching all four parts of the anime. I hadn't read the manga at all yet but I figured 7 would be a good starting point.
I thought it started out strong, dragged a little when they were wandering through the desert at night and kept getting attacked, but then Pork Pie Hat Kid showed up and that was a great stand battle. But then I got to Scary Monsters and it started out as a nice homage to the Jurassic Park kitchen scene then it gradually turned into the most ridiculous/amazing stand concepts I've ever seen. I'd seen this panel before without context and finally reaching that page, I wasn't disappointed.

Outside of the action, I like how all the characters have already been living their own lives and have already been shaped by their experiences before the Steel Ball Run. I didn't really know much about Johnny beforehand but I was surprised that he had 'fallen from grace' already and seeking redemption. I thought he'd be more similar to Jonathan. And Diego is depicted a bit more sympathetically than Dio was as well.

I'm trying to avoid spoilers but I was wondering: I know people can acquire stands by obtaining parts of the Saint's Corpse but how did everyone else get stands? Is being in proximity to the corpse enough? (if this is explicitely explained later on please spoiler tag)

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

P sure he just gives them to people after a while. It’s JoJo so don’t worry too much about those kinds of specifics

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i think by the end of part 8 we'll have some kind of lore drop as to the nature of stands in jojoniverse #2

they have a really bizarre explanation in jojoniverse #1 but i don't know if it's ever actually in the direct mangas, but i haven't read 5 or 6

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Just being near the devil's palms was enough to be granted a stand after a while, though there was also mention of (spoilers for part 7 and part 5) a meteorite that crashed, creating one of the devil's palms, and it's pretty likely that this is the same kind of meteorite that part 5 mentions that crashed and it got made into a punch of stand arrowheads and it contained some kinda space germ or whatever that either killed you or granted you a stand.

e: that, of course, doesn't account for the other methods of getting them which are just "be born with it" or "be real fuckin good at something"

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006

FirstAidKite posted:

Just being near the devil's palms was enough to be granted a stand after a while, though there was also mention of (spoilers for part 7 and part 5) a meteorite that crashed, creating one of the devil's palms, and it's pretty likely that this is the same kind of meteorite that part 5 mentions that crashed and it got made into a punch of stand arrowheads and it contained some kinda space germ or whatever that either killed you or granted you a stand.

Do you mean a punch of stand oraheads?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Whoops lol

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

https://twitter.com/kewl0210/status/1030469492353236993?s=21

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
What the gently caress was going on this chapter.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
It's the start of a new jojo fight so chances are we'll find out in about 3 months

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
uh oh

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

RIP Yasuho

again

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I wonder if this is related to how poor tom got wrecked

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

this seems like a couple different stand powers happening at once

this is a lot

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
Yeah, this is...a lot of stuff.

Mom Higashikata was pulling things out of a deck of cards right? Maybe she has flattening powers?

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Xad posted:

Yeah, this is...a lot of stuff.

Mom Higashikata was pulling things out of a deck of cards right? Maybe she has flattening powers?

nah, we see the objects physically phasing out of the cards themselves, she's more like Enigma

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Metallica looked a lot stuff at first before it turned out to be just a really versatile stand. Although not sure what could do everything that happened this chapter.

Maybe Doctor Doctor has a Rock Pet or the second person in the ambulance could be helping?

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
I hope Dr. Doctor literally just two pebbles when in rock-forme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron La Croix
Nov 2, 2010

rastah farah
sonnah maddah fah
time to investigate 311