Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

MarcusSA posted:

Why does your awful app look different? Do you have scaled text or something?

Yeah I scale text down to 90%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

PB6 good. Seems they resolved most of the weird bugs in Screen Time.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Whats the consensus on ad blockers these days? I got Purify when they were first made available and haven't really had any issues but it hasn't been updated in 8 months. My biggest complaint is sometimes apps that open webpages internally don't appear to be using ad blocking because uh I get ads but that might be the app not allowing it instead of iOS not allowing it.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

My biggest complaint is sometimes apps that open webpages internally don't appear to be using ad blocking because uh I get ads but that might be the app not allowing it instead of iOS not allowing it.

Yeah if an app doesn't use in-app Safari (I believe they don't because they can get more analytics and stuff using their own browser) then no iOS ad-blocker is going to work.

I believe you can block ads at router level but that's a whole other thing.

I use 1Blocker X myself but Wipr is also good

Weedle
May 31, 2006

1Blocker X works really well for me. My only complaint is that it takes forever to add a rule because every time I open the 1Blocker app itself it has to process all the existing rules. It’s like night and day when browsing, though. The other day I opened an AndroidPolice.com link in the Reddit app and it was almost unreadable due to the number of ads injected into the (short) article. Opened it in Safari and it was completely ad-free. I couldn’t even tell where they were supposed to be.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Just found another great iphone :airquote:feature:airquote:

I was trying to help my dad with his new iphone (he's a fellow new iphone user as am i) so i did a screen recording with sound turned on. After i was done, everything turned out great. I played back my video and all the sound is there.

Uploaded it onto youtube.

Wait a second, there's no sound, wtf???

Turns out this is a bug and you have to download a 3rd party software to fix this (doing that now, not actually sure this is going to work as it looks like it will take a while to transcode my video), did some googling to find a 'fix' from this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oS_DdFYDF2A

I wonder how many more of these surprises i'm going to find and whether people are going to pretend this is yet another edge case that doesn't matter and everything works as it should :allears:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You seem like a very angry person.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Mister Fister posted:

Just found another great iphone :airquote:feature:airquote:

I was trying to help my dad with his new iphone (he's a fellow new iphone user as am i) so i did a screen recording with sound turned on. After i was done, everything turned out great. I played back my video and all the sound is there.

Uploaded it onto youtube.

Wait a second, there's no sound, wtf???

Turns out this is a bug and you have to download a 3rd party software to fix this (doing that now, not actually sure this is going to work as it looks like it will take a while to transcode my video), did some googling to find a 'fix' from this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oS_DdFYDF2A

I wonder how many more of these surprises i'm going to find and whether people are going to pretend this is yet another edge case that doesn't matter and everything works as it should :allears:

You sound pretty hostile for something that is clearly a bug.

Is it the iPhone stripping it or is YouTube?

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

xzzy posted:

You seem like a very angry person.

I was prepared to deal with some disappointment moving from android assistant -> siri and google maps -> apple maps and not being able to set default apps, while being delighted about the rest of the user experience of ios over android, instead of dealing with dealbreaking bugs and terrible design/engineering decisions that make me want to smash my phone.

Edit: there is a lot i like about the iphone/ios though, but the stuff i don't like is absolutely insane that it exists at all.

Mister Fister fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Aug 17, 2018

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

MarcusSA posted:

It sounds like it does it in imovie as well.

Edit: The REAL insane thing is, the sounds play back from the application i was using but not my microphone. Before you ask, yes i turned on microphone recording and tested it two more times. Google photos can play back all the sounds locally though.

Mister Fister fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Aug 17, 2018

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Wait aren't you the "fastball my phone into the wall" guy?

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

Endless Mike posted:

Wait aren't you the "fastball my phone into the wall" guy?

No

Edit: I think that is Tori Cmos or whatever his name happens to be these days

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

It's been a bug for a year though.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Khablam posted:

I’m not excusing it :shrug:

Is the phone doing it or is YouTube mishandling the file when it’s uploaded because of the format?

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

Khablam posted:

Yeah, i just noticed the date on the workaround video i posted... november 2017, WTF is that.

Goons, please don't tell me this is something i should just get over or it 'works just the way it supposed to', i want to help my parents with their iphones using screen recording on a semi-regular basis.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
YouTube is a dumpster fire’s dumpster fire. I wouldn’t be surprised if they were loving something up.

Though I know Apple switched to HEIC or whatever for images, and last I checked Photoshop CC still could not open those, so I switched mine back to JPEG. Wonder if Apple did something similar for recorded footage?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Protocol7 posted:

YouTube is a dumpster fire’s dumpster fire. I wouldn’t be surprised if they were loving something up.

Though I know Apple switched to HEIC or whatever for images, and last I checked Photoshop CC still could not open those, so I switched mine back to JPEG. Wonder if Apple did something similar for recorded footage?

If I had to put money on it I’d say it’s YouTube loving with it.

Why not either iMessage the video or share it via iCloud?

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

MarcusSA posted:

If I had to put money on it I’d say it’s YouTube loving with it.

Why not either iMessage the video or share it via iCloud?

I'm more used to doing stuff with Google apps. I've uploaded tons of youtube videos from PC/Android without incident. Plus i figure i have a limited amount of storage with iCloud right? I like dumping everything on youtube and not worrying about it. I guess i have to get more used to the apple way of doing things.

I read this happens in imovie as well, and it isn't a youtube only problem.

Edit: actually the imovie thing is mentioned in the video i posted.

Edit 2: If i imessage the movie over, does it take space on the other person's phone? Or is it streaming it to them?

Mister Fister fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Aug 17, 2018

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)
Ok, so the 3rd party transcoding thing worked. This is annoying, i hope this gets fixed in ios 12 at least.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
oh you are one of the guys complaining that ios doesn't work like android. if you like android that much you should have stuck with it. just send the movie over imessage jeez

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
I still think it’s really dumb that no apps like Instagram (okay, mostly Instagram) will turn Live Photos into videos.

And then a (3-second!) Live Photo is still too short for instagram’s 3-second cutoff if you use motion stills or some poo poo to convert it to video. :argh:

What I’m saying is blame 3rd party apps.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

Arivia posted:

oh you are one of the guys complaining that ios doesn't work like android. if you like android that much you should have stuck with it. just send the movie over imessage jeez

Please tell me more about how i should put up with doing something extremely basic in an extremely restricted way. Like, who the hell would put up with having their audio not work on an upload? Every other platform i upload videos to youtube on just works, not just android. Using imessage to send a video to my parents might work for this instance, but then again, i also like doing recordings and uploading for a wider audience as well.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mister Fister posted:

Please tell me more about how i should put up with doing something extremely basic in an extremely restricted way. Like, who the hell would put up with having their audio not work on an upload? Every other platform i upload videos to youtube on just works, not just android. Using imessage to send a video to my parents might work for this instance, but then again, i also like doing recordings and uploading for a wider audience as well.

it works on the actual apple part of things. youtube is google's whatever monetization hole they keep loving up. apple has nothing to do with that. If you like sending videos to other people that's fine but if you're beyond using imovie to do it it's no longer Apple's problem.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Yeah that sucks, I’m sorry. There are lots of other options but I don’t know how to fix this YouTube thing for you. :(

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

Arivia posted:

it works on the actual apple part of things. youtube is google's whatever monetization hole they keep loving up. apple has nothing to do with that. If you like sending videos to other people that's fine but if you're beyond using imovie to do it it's no longer Apple's problem.

It apparently has the same problem on imovie, per the video i posted. It doesn't seem like a google problem.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Mister Fister posted:

It apparently has the same problem on imovie, per the video i posted. It doesn't seem like a google problem.

OK I am not trying to be a dick but I just checked this and yes when you import the movie into iMovie the audio is gone.

I also uploaded the video to Youtube and the audio is there.

Honestly not sure what you are doing differently but the screen record I just test I just did does have the audio on it when uploaded into Youtube.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Pvpq8n_5dJE

:shrug:

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Aug 18, 2018

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

MarcusSA posted:

OK I am not trying to be a dick but I just checked this and yes when you import the movie into iMovie the audio is gone.

I also uploaded the video to Youtube and the audio is there.

Honestly not sure what you are doing differently but the screen record I just test I just did does have the audio on it when uploaded into Youtube.

Do you mean audio as in the audio coming from an app? That works fine, but my recorded voice doesn't upload.

Other people have this problem as well though, it's not an isolated incident.

Maybe it's an iphone 6s problem? I dunno. In any case, it happened. And yes, i checked the option to record my mic and i can hear it when i open it up in google photos.

I guess i'll check out imovie later, but lol if i can replicate it losing audio there like you did.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Mister Fister posted:

Do you mean audio as in the audio coming from an app? That works fine, but my recorded voice doesn't upload.

Other people have this problem as well though, it's not an isolated incident.

Maybe it's an iphone 6s problem? I dunno. In any case, it happened. And yes, i checked the option to record my mic and i can hear it when i open it up in google photos.

I guess i'll check out imovie later, but lol if i can replicate it losing audio there like you did.

I dunno seems weird that it would be phone specific. I posted the video in my post as well its just me talking using the mic and it worked as it should.

I tried uploading via SD and HD to see if that would make a difference and they both worked.

Again though Not sure what is the deal with the audio in iMovie but :shrug: on that.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
Those are rather 2 inconsequential things to get upset over. I have never thought to upload a screen recording to YouTube before and probably never will.

Not saying you’re wrong that it doesn’t work and that it’s unfortunate, but maybe there are better things to save your energy on.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Arivia posted:

iMessage isn't an option unless the recipient has an iOS device.

Anyway it's a valid complaint, contrary to popular (in this thread) belief iOS is a long way from being perfect.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

dissss posted:

iMessage isn't an option unless the recipient has an iOS device.

Well in this case it is:

Mister Fister posted:

I was trying to help my dad with his new iphone (he's a fellow new iphone user as am i) so i did a screen recording with sound turned on.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

MrBond posted:

Those are rather 2 inconsequential things to get upset over. I have never thought to upload a screen recording to YouTube before and probably never will.
This thread really needs to stop the "you're using it wrong you shouldn't want to do that" / "lol at you for wanting to do thing" to defend Apple's honour everytime someone has an issue.
Apple aren't handing out shares. You don't need to go to bat for them when someone has a legitimate issue.

If the guy has been like "i've had this on Android since 2010 :smug: can't Apple match that?" then yeah, he'd have been lovely. What he's done is complain that a headline feature of iOS 11 hasn't worked properly since it's release. That's absolutely a legitimate grievance.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Huh, I just learned about the screen record function. Thanks thread!!

Finally I can upload my terrible Fortnite mobile plays to YouTube!!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Is this a new feature in the betas, as I’ve never seen it before. Had to do a phone sms confirm code thing with PayPal and when the text came in it added the code to the autosuggest. Neat!

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

Is this a new feature in the betas, as I’ve never seen it before. Had to do a phone sms confirm code thing with PayPal and when the text came in it added the code to the autosuggest. Neat!

If you have SMS forwarding on to your Mac, it will even pop up in Safari on Mojave. And mark the SMS read for you.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Even neater! I haven’t upgraded my Mac yet, so future fun to be had.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

EL BROMANCE posted:

No joke, one of the best new features in years.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I believe it work with appletv as well in conjunction with the phone.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

The future is here boys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Is there a way to disable the annoying feature that got added in a recent OS update where you need to unlock your phone to charge it. Really irritating, as I sometimes to forget to do this and the phone is low battery the next day.