  • Post
Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

drrockso20 posted:

To be fair in every game the change that's being presented is an extremely bad one

yeah that's how they get you

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

It definitely isn't a cyberpunk series though. Almost every single game is very openly about preserving the status quo. Yeah, sure, there's a bunch of parts that point out why that's bad, but it's still what you're doing.

Thematically I think the fact Snake/Raiden is tricked or forced into supporting the status quo doesn't diminish the "we should improve society somewhat"-message. MGS2 is incredibly cyberpunk with its themes of information control (which are ridiculously relevant today) and Raiden's unwilling participation is something that the game acknowledges and comments on: the way the establishment directs his actions is ultimately something it thinks should be rebelled against, and the final lines of the game are Snake telling Raiden that he shouldn't have to be a tool of establishment.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

fool_of_sound posted:

Solidus didn't really understand what was going on. He just wanted to be in charge.
Hell, same

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

MGS as a series basically Tom Clancy but trading some of the fascism for sexism, so it's always a bit weird when people go and call it cyberpunk. Sure it has some supertech but it's never really shown to be anything else than just our regular society. And the AI controlling the world only really matters in 4 which is game it's introduced in.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
What do you guys generally do if you're trying to learn to GM something and you have to come up with a campaign because there aren't any available?

I've got ideas for a campaign for a game I want to run but I've just been jotting down notes and trying to create some kind of general outline, nothing too specific since I don't want to hinder them or put myself in a weird situation where they've gone off course and broken whatever I came up with, but also I can't just be super vague because then there's nothing for them to work with.

As it stands, I'm just kinda throwing poo poo at the wall and seeing what sticks and if I can squeeze blood from stone.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

FirstAidKite posted:

What do you guys generally do if you're trying to learn to GM something and you have to come up with a campaign because there aren't any available?

I've got ideas for a campaign for a game I want to run but I've just been jotting down notes and trying to create some kind of general outline, nothing too specific since I don't want to hinder them or put myself in a weird situation where they've gone off course and broken whatever I came up with, but also I can't just be super vague because then there's nothing for them to work with.

As it stands, I'm just kinda throwing poo poo at the wall and seeing what sticks and if I can squeeze blood from stone.

I generally don’t plan that far ahead, especially at the start. I do a bit more setup for the first session than usual and try to give them plot hooks the players would be interested in. After that it just forms around what the players are pursuing.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

What do you guys generally do if you're trying to learn to GM something and you have to come up with a campaign because there aren't any available?

I've got ideas for a campaign for a game I want to run but I've just been jotting down notes and trying to create some kind of general outline, nothing too specific since I don't want to hinder them or put myself in a weird situation where they've gone off course and broken whatever I came up with, but also I can't just be super vague because then there's nothing for them to work with.

As it stands, I'm just kinda throwing poo poo at the wall and seeing what sticks and if I can squeeze blood from stone.

Read a book in the genre of the game and while it isnt nice to copy the plot wholesale it usually gives you enough background and character to base your own off it

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

FirstAidKite posted:

What do you guys generally do if you're trying to learn to GM something and you have to come up with a campaign because there aren't any available?

I've got ideas for a campaign for a game I want to run but I've just been jotting down notes and trying to create some kind of general outline, nothing too specific since I don't want to hinder them or put myself in a weird situation where they've gone off course and broken whatever I came up with, but also I can't just be super vague because then there's nothing for them to work with.

As it stands, I'm just kinda throwing poo poo at the wall and seeing what sticks and if I can squeeze blood from stone.
One-shots one-shots one-shots. Get some practice games under your belt to get a feel for the actual play of the game before you dive into a custom full campaign. Also you can mine the one-shots for stuff for the campaign.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Hel posted:

MGS as a series basically Tom Clancy but trading some of the fascism for sexism, so it's always a bit weird when people go and call it cyberpunk. Sure it has some supertech but it's never really shown to be anything else than just our regular society. And the AI controlling the world only really matters in 4 which is game it's introduced in.

You uh, you didn't play 2 did you?

FirstAidKite posted:

What do you guys generally do if you're trying to learn to GM something and you have to come up with a campaign because there aren't any available?

I've got ideas for a campaign for a game I want to run but I've just been jotting down notes and trying to create some kind of general outline, nothing too specific since I don't want to hinder them or put myself in a weird situation where they've gone off course and broken whatever I came up with, but also I can't just be super vague because then there's nothing for them to work with.

As it stands, I'm just kinda throwing poo poo at the wall and seeing what sticks and if I can squeeze blood from stone.

If your system has a good pregen adventure, I usually like to start with those since they're an easy garunteed set, doctor it up for your group and then make the rest of the campaign based on what the group did or did not like.

It sounds like that isn't the case so at that point it becomes based on the system. What is the system trying to do, what do you and your friends find exciting about it, and how do you exemplify that by yourself?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

FirstAidKite posted:

What do you guys generally do if you're trying to learn to GM something and you have to come up with a campaign because there aren't any available?

I've got ideas for a campaign for a game I want to run but I've just been jotting down notes and trying to create some kind of general outline, nothing too specific since I don't want to hinder them or put myself in a weird situation where they've gone off course and broken whatever I came up with, but also I can't just be super vague because then there's nothing for them to work with.

As it stands, I'm just kinda throwing poo poo at the wall and seeing what sticks and if I can squeeze blood from stone.
I generally plan a handful of groups for the PCs to be involved with and an NPC to represent each one early on, with an opening scene and a general "here's a couple plot points I want to hit" style outline. Sometimes I also plan out an ending or two that can be worked towards depending on what my plot actually is. Beyond that, I just react to what the PCs do and have done and want to do.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Thank you for all of the advice so far!

The game system in question is Gratuitous Anime Gimmick. What I was thinking so far is I would do a personal session between me and one of the players just to get each player acquainted with the system and their character before having a session that involves all of them and then go from there. I plan to make it a sort of monster-of-the-week kinda thing where it'll have a vaguely defined end point to work towards but not necessarily a specific deadline.

I'm thinking I'll probably run the game for 4 players at most though since there are going to be times where I want to run a session and exclude certain players so that they can have a break from playing and also so that I don't have to write an encounter to be challenging while also factoring in everyone's abilities.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

I generally find 1 on 1 start outs are not as prone to cohesive parties as session 0 worldbuilding, but that is up to you.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
It'd mostly be because the way the characters in GAG are generated, while I could just say "they all meet up at a gas station," I think it'd be easier to do a really short one-off session with each person to get a feel for how they play before ending with "and now, off to the gas station, because you need to get gas/you want snacks/you work there/you live there/you are the gas station"

I'm sure it'd work just fine to throw everyone in from the start but since I'd be planning to play this play by post in the game room, I think it'd be easier than getting everyone together to post at once.

[...]

By one shots I meant do a few sessions out of continuity with a group, then swap out for the "real" campaign. You won't get much of a feel for a multi-character game running 1 on 1 and as Moriatti said you'll probably get better part cohesion with a group start.

e: Oh it's PbP, that complicates things.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Yeah, it's with a group of people who would have trouble coordinating time to all be online and not busy at 1 particular time, unfortunately.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
My group never sticks with a campaign for long (no more than ~10 sessions) and we rotate GMs just about every game

Can I just say that when your turn isn't for another six months, it's very dangerous to start reading RPG rulebooks

I want to GM this now

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I just realized... That Venture is an anagram of Venture... And they are the "capitalists" of the vampire world. My God WW, you magnificent bastards.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Plutonis posted:

I just realized... That Venture is an anagram of Venture... And they are the "capitalists" of the vampire world. My God WW, you magnificent bastards.

I am 99% sure that one of these Venture's is meant to be Ventrue but either way lol

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
The Ventrue Brothers

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL
:goatsecx:
So my Metal Gear Solid loving friend is wondering if there are any MGS themed (in whole or part) games out there. The only one I know of off hand is the literal Metal Gear Solid RISK, but are there others?

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I know we just had a discussion over whether or not MGS qualifies as cyberpunk, but The Sprawl comes to mind.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

Anniversary posted:

So my Metal Gear Solid loving friend is wondering if there are any MGS themed (in whole or part) games out there. The only one I know of off hand is the literal Metal Gear Solid RISK, but are there others?
You're in luck, this just came out.
Dunno if it's any good.
There's also Fullmetal President, even though it's more Metal Wolf Chaos, but somehow those are on shelves next to each other in my head.
edit: there was also a fan made World of Metal Gear Solid somewhere, if memory serves.

Foglet fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Aug 17, 2018

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL
:goatsecx:

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

I know we just had a discussion over whether or not MGS qualifies as cyberpunk, but The Sprawl comes to mind.

Yeah, that's honestly part of what spurred me talking to him about metal gear again and leading to this. I'll have to look into The Sprawl.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Anniversary posted:

So my Metal Gear Solid loving friend is wondering if there are any MGS themed (in whole or part) games out there. The only one I know of off hand is the literal Metal Gear Solid RISK, but are there others?

I'm working on a Strike! setting that would qualify, but it's still in early development.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Foglet posted:

edit: there was also a fan made World of Metal Gear Solid somewhere, if memory serves.

Posted to a chat thread, but an earlier one than this so I failed to find it.

VVV That's the one.

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Aug 17, 2018

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Anniversary posted:

So my Metal Gear Solid loving friend is wondering if there are any MGS themed (in whole or part) games out there. The only one I know of off hand is the literal Metal Gear Solid RISK, but are there others?

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I am by no means a real artist but if someone else is looking to run the Temple of Elemental Evil here are the roll20 scaled maps I've put together so far for my campaign. My group is finished through the first dungeon level so that's where it stops for now. I'll be finishing out the dungeon levels but odds are good my group isn't going to bother with the elemental nodes.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Found my poker chips. Gonna run PARANOIA on Monday for a big innocent group. It’s going to be a lot of fun.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

8one6 posted:

I am by no means a real artist but if someone else is looking to run the Temple of Elemental Evil here are the roll20 scaled maps I've put together so far for my campaign. My group is finished through the first dungeon level so that's where it stops for now. I'll be finishing out the dungeon levels but odds are good my group isn't going to bother with the elemental nodes.
These are awesome and I will almost guaranteed use them in my upcoming game. If you do the elemental nodes I will pay you in heaps of thanks and praise.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.
How good is Roll20/other various online tabletops at running games outside of the big names? I’m preparing a larger-scale hexcrawl, but some of my players are geographically distant and interested in regular games, but I don’t know the specifics.

Issues would be that, at a casual glance, they seem geared towards supporting a specific game, and I’m running a weird modified BECMI-derived monstrosity that is a mismash of crazy rules and prog rock album-inspired weirdness.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

It works for mostly any game. I've never used an officially supported game like 5E, but I always use one of the community sheets. You could certainly use the BECMI sheet.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Hedningen posted:

How good is Roll20/other various online tabletops at running games outside of the big names? I’m preparing a larger-scale hexcrawl, but some of my players are geographically distant and interested in regular games, but I don’t know the specifics.

Issues would be that, at a casual glance, they seem geared towards supporting a specific game, and I’m running a weird modified BECMI-derived monstrosity that is a mismash of crazy rules and prog rock album-inspired weirdness.

It's reasonably simple to run a BECMI style game 'manually' on roll20. Just assign your monster tokens HP and AC, and then do saves by hand.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Hedningen posted:

How good is Roll20/other various online tabletops at running games outside of the big names? I’m preparing a larger-scale hexcrawl, but some of my players are geographically distant and interested in regular games, but I don’t know the specifics.

Issues would be that, at a casual glance, they seem geared towards supporting a specific game, and I’m running a weird modified BECMI-derived monstrosity that is a mismash of crazy rules and prog rock album-inspired weirdness.

Roll20 supports hex maps, but it's a bit wonky. Set some time aside to figure out how you want to set up your maps on the virtual tabletop before you begin play. You can use as little or as much automation as you like on Roll20.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Gonna be in San Antonio for a week-and-a-half on business, and I'll probably have a decent stretch of free time. I've got some touristy stuff planned, but any good nerd stores to visit?

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Hedningen posted:

How good is Roll20/other various online tabletops at running games outside of the big names? I’m preparing a larger-scale hexcrawl, but some of my players are geographically distant and interested in regular games, but I don’t know the specifics.

Avoid card-based games -- Roll20's playing card systems are bad and hard-coded -- but it handles most other things ok.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

DalaranJ posted:

It's reasonably simple to run a BECMI style game 'manually' on roll20. Just assign your monster tokens HP and AC, and then do saves by hand.

That's what I do with everything even when roll20 has support for the system I run. I find it faster to do everything by hand than use roll20 systems.

Roll20 is basically just a grid with a dice system built-in for me.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

JackMann posted:

Gonna be in San Antonio for a week-and-a-half on business, and I'll probably have a decent stretch of free time. I've got some touristy stuff planned, but any good nerd stores to visit?

I haven’t been in a few years, but the Dragon’s Lair is a decent gaming store.

Edit: And you can go eat at the Tip Top Cafe nearby.

Free Gratis fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Aug 18, 2018

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Arivia posted:

Roll20 supports hex maps, but it's a bit wonky. Set some time aside to figure out how you want to set up your maps on the virtual tabletop before you begin play. You can use as little or as much automation as you like on Roll20.

I had a gently caress of a time drawing hex maps on Roll20. Something about how it does snapping and auto-sizing fucks up hex tiles.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Yeah, roll20 hex maps are jank. I just use square grids with 8-directional movement instead.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4