Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?

Hello and welcome to the 1057 Armok League! On the left, we have the venerable Mr. Pokey, a troll wielding - and wearing - a full set of copper, complete with a pike! And on the right, we've another Ant - Edgelord, who wears but a steel helmet and has a copper knife for each hand! Let the battle begin!

They clash, and immediately blood is drawn: going low, Edgelord stabs Mr. Pokey in the foot with one of her blades and the troll lunges forward as he falls, veritably -exploding- the Ant's hand into gore! One hand for one foot, we're going even so far!

But the Ant isn't done, and with another stab to the Troll, he's left reeling as copper splinters bone into nothing! Mr. Pokey gives into pain, and the Ant straddles him and begins her grim, bloody work.

It takes a while, but with Mr. Pokey drifting in and out of consciousness, his own toughness as a troll only prolongs his pain.

With a plunge of her dagger into his skull, the troll's skull splits like a ripe melon and Edgelord is the victor!

Combat log for your viewing pleasure.

One day we'll get a long fight

Galick fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Aug 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Did someone turn off armor? :psyduck:

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

wh

what

what

edgelord, I created you and I have no idea what the gently caress you just did :psyduck:

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

dmboogie posted:

wh

what

what

edgelord, I created you and I have no idea what the gently caress you just did :psyduck:

You think you've got it bad, think about how I feel! Like, what even the gently caress!

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Ya'll ain't seen anything yet.

My build is the pinnacle of Arena Challenge. He or she is an unstoppable murder machine, finely tuned for turning opponents into mostly blood and guts.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Galick posted:

One day we'll get a long fight

My fight was plenty long. Just nothing happened for most of it. Which I blame entirely on Antipode. :colbert:

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Man I'm glad I didn't bother spending many of my valuable fighter points on armor, suckers :smuggo: His match my not have come up yet, but I still believe.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Captainicus posted:

Man I'm glad I didn't bother spending many of my valuable fighter points on armor, suckers :smuggo: His match my not have come up yet, but I still believe.

Beer Batter was naked and got his poo poo wrecked, so don't be too comfortable.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Welcome, one and all, to Syrupleaf Arena.

Today's fight is between a fellow minotaur and a molemarian. Now, I'm not an expert on moleosophy, but I've read "The Three Olives of the Arena" and I have to note that all zodiac signs point to cancer, so I expect to see a swift surgical excision.

In the right hand corner, we have "Plate", a brave minotaur warrior, currently working on a master's degree in stabology. His only protection is the bronze cap he is wearing, so his skill with the dagger will have to decide this match.

And in the left hand corner, we have "Moloch", a molemarian wielding an iron sword, and wearing a cow leather armor as an insult to his opponent. Disgusting. Look at that nose, can you truly trust such a creature not to dig through your precious belongings, looking for some dark secret to forward to its evil underground masters? Not that I, your host, have any such dark secrets, of course.

The bell rings, the fight is on! Haha! Moloch tries to land a hit on brave Plate, but gets parried, and... Yes, it looks like Plate is lowering his head for a charge!

Ow! This could have been devastating! The molemarian rose up on its hind legs, dodging the charge and landing a terrible, terrible cut that lodged its sword into Plate's arm! Wrong arm, Moloch! And now you can't parry! Brave Plate manages to use his momentum to stab one of Moloch's hind legs, and now both fighters are bleeding!

The molemarian pulls on his sword and tries to finish the fight with a blow to the head, but the clumsy beast can't do more than slap virtuous Plate. And now, Plate shows the molemarian how it's done.

Victory to Plate! Look how he laughs at the injuries he received. A victory for all minotaurs! Goodbye, Moloch, I'm sure the worms are looking forward to seeing you like this.

COMBAT LOG

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I'm very terrified of how my match is going to go now :ohdear:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
This fight probably should have gone on much longer, due to one fighter being a molemarian, but, well, boom, headshot. Normally, I'd argue that a bronze cap is a very good investment for molemarians, but I'm not sure it would actually help here - minotaurs are scary and the dagger would have had a good chance of penetrating the cap.

Selious
Mar 11, 2007

Master Defenestrator
These fights are going insanely short compared to some test matches I ran, very few parries or dodges comparatively. Kind of surprised but happy to see more bloodshed.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Yeah, every fight I've ran so far has been an utter blood bath for the most part. Or over immediately due to say, losing a leg, but then it takes ten minutes of me hitting period for the fight to actually end.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Galick posted:

Yeah, every fight I've ran so far has been an utter blood bath for the most part. Or over immediately due to say, losing a leg, but then it takes ten minutes of me hitting period for the fight to actually end.

Just take two screenshots and then move the blood spatter and fighters in mspaint. These people are idiots and dont notice year in and year out.

That way you can hit space, get the log in 3 seconds, spend 2 minutes copypasting blood and these chumps eat it up.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Spermy Smurf posted:

Just take two screenshots and then move the blood spatter and fighters in mspaint. These people are idiots and dont notice year in and year out.

That way you can hit space, get the log in 3 seconds, spend 2 minutes copypasting blood and these chumps eat it up.

I literally don't look at the screen caps. I might glance at the combat log if the fight sounds interesting. Mostly I'm focused on the words, which is why I think my idea of automating generation of write-ups from the combat log might have legs. Let the commish edit it a bit and throw in some googled flavour images like my dad is doing, bam, done.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I ran the fight.

I, uh, might stare at the screen for a while until I convince myself that the result actually happened.

Writeup in progress.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

my dad posted:

I ran the fight.

I, uh, might stare at the screen for a while until I convince myself that the result actually happened.

Writeup in progress.

Was my fighter’s fight? Did my excellently designed fighter get trounced by that thoughtlessly thrown together troll Hard Brexit? Yeah I would run the fight again until you get results more in line with reality. Maybe even check your dwarf fortress version and reinstall everything and keep doing that until my fighter wins.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Wellcome, one and all, to Headshoots arena!

Today's battle is... huh? wha? seriously? now? you could have told me earlier. Oh, alright... *ehem* going to happen after a quick word from our corporate sponsors:

3... 2... 1... And we're back, folks. So, today's fight is between a troll and a strangler. Interesting matchup, let's see which oversized ape manages to use their advantages better.

In the right hand corner, we have "Hard Brexit", a male troll, armed with his iron spear Theresa, and protected by coppers, breastplate and high boots, a tough matchup for many foes.

And it the left hand corner, we have "Stab!Monkey Bad!Munki" the strangler ape, armed with... armed with... 3 oaken spears, an oaken buckler, and a copper cap. Are you serious?

Riiiiiiight. Well, then, let's get this fight started!

LOOK AT ALL THIS BLOOD! Hard Brexit is not messing around, bringing Monkey down with a stab to the right foot, and then stabbing him in the left leg and slicing one of his hands off. Looks like we're in for another quick fight, folks. Monkey is trying to fight back, but can't do more than tickle the huge troll.

And the audience is clearly feeling let down by the fight, a bearded human just threw a jar of some sort at the combatants. It broke, splattering some sort of gelatinous substance all over Monkey's face. I wonder if it's going to make it melt or something like that. It'd probably count as a violation of the rules if the result of this fight wasn't already obvious. Look at this pathetic flailing.

Worthless. And now the Monkey is licking the substance off his own face and the arena floor, disgusting. Wait...

Monkey is... actually defending himself.

Nothing Hard Brexit tries can make it past his shield, this is incredible.

Still, there's nothing Monkey can do to hurt Hard brexit, all it can achieve on the offense are some minor scratches.

Hard Brexit just needs to wait for Monkey to get too tired to block, and finish the fight. Ugh, and now Monkey is trying to slap Hard Brexit with the hand it used to scoop up the jelly from the floor.

Oh. Oh dear.

Yeah, I don't think anyone needs to see the rest of this. Suffice to say, the only future possible for Hard Brexit is humiliation, suffering, and a slow, drawn out death.

COMBAT LOG

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
How much damage did that wimpy troll take before passing out? Two bruises?

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

I'm not around for most of today, but I can run probably 3-4 fights tomorrow. First round may be over soon!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Couple of hits to the arm, one to the head.

Didn't we have a problem with big bodies wimping out a few tournaments back? Admittedly, that might be a few years and versions ago.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

That was a problem, maybe it's a problem again with the version of DF we're using? We'll assess after this tourney's over. I have noticed "gives into pain" a lot in the combat logs.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Holy poo poo that was quite a twist.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat
Oh sure, let’s all talk about how lucky the strangler was to make the troll pass out after two bruises. Let’s not talk about how lucky the troll was to get a bunch of hits in a row in right off the bat when the strangler probably has crazy high weapon and shield skills, or how the strangler did an excellent job of eventually opening all the arteries in the troll’s head once the troll fell over :colbert:

I uhh...I actually don’t know how to play this game so I don’t know how the odds compare.

Selious
Mar 11, 2007

Master Defenestrator
Reading through the log, it seems to be Brexit took three stabs to the lower left arm over a few rounds of fighting so it wasn't just a glancing blow. Brexit took stabs to left arm, left arm, head(!), and left arm in that order. Comparatively, Stab suffered bad hits to the right foot, left lower leg, and a severing of the left hand, spreading out the damage. I haven't read that in-depth of the damage model but it appears repeated penetrating damage (like a spear) to the same area can be quite effective.

On the skills side, looks like Brexit had a smattering of dodge skill but not enough to matter, and just a slight amount more spear skill than Stab. Stab had roughly equal shield or higher shield skill than Brexit's spear, allowing for more blocks than Brexit could parry. Hard to tell if there was an advantage in Fighting, roughly equal blows were traded despite three times the weaponry on Stab's side.

Lady Teacup
Dec 6, 2016

Galick posted:

That was a problem, maybe it's a problem again with the version of DF we're using? We'll assess after this tourney's over. I have noticed "gives into pain" a lot in the combat logs.

It's been in every log save two, actually. Antipode stayed fighting until all her blood fell out, and Moloch was a Molmarian

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Hm...

Hm...

Galick, which version of the mod are you using? Is it df_43_05_arena?

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Kinda relieved to see Hard Brexit fall at the first hurdle to be honest. I will take this as a good augury.

gently caress it I'm never gonna win a tourney

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat
Yeah let’s not try too hard to verify DF versions and this and that.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

my dad posted:

Hm...

Hm...

Galick, which version of the mod are you using? Is it df_43_05_arena?

Uhh. Nope. I should fix that :v:

E: Fixed it. I was using the one in the OP and I never looked at it, this is entirely my fault :(

Galick fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Aug 18, 2018

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Here's the thing, though: Was my dad using the same one?

Or the most recent?

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

I grabbed 43_05_arena so we should be good.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Now make some undocumented changes that’ll make my poo poo fighter win.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Thread is moving again awwrite~~

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Galick posted:

Uhh. Nope. I should fix that :v:

E: Fixed it. I was using the one in the OP and I never looked at it, this is entirely my fault :(

Ablative posted:

Here's the thing, though: Was my dad using the same one?

Or the most recent?

I hosed up, too. I thought that Jazz kept the version in the OP up to date and I didn't look at the number. And then I did, and oh poo poo.

JAZZ, could you add a download link to the arena website that always points at the latest version of the mod?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
So are we still gonna run this as is or??

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
The way I'd go about this, is to finish round 1 as is, with the old version, then move on to the latest version for the rest of the tournament, to minimize the impact of a double standard on who wins and who loses (without rerunning every single fight so far)

The exception being if there are any pike users. The person running the fight should manually add pike skill equal to their spear skill, because that version is from before pike and spear skill were consolidated in the mod, I think. Thankfully, there were no such fights yet.

Still, my apologies for my part in the fuckup.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

my dad posted:

I hosed up, too. I thought that Jazz kept the version in the OP up to date and I didn't look at the number. And then I did, and oh poo poo.

JAZZ, could you add a download link to the arena website that always points at the latest version of the mod?

:ohdear:

I'll get on that right now. Sorry!

EDIT: Added it under the Members section

Jazzimus Prime fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Aug 19, 2018

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
If hard brexit's defeat gets repealed I will not be happy :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I crafted my build specifically for the new version. His only weakness is the old version.

No other weaknesses in sight.