Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's fun because possessing people as property is fun, obviously

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I used to not really agree with posters who said people here need to learn how to have actual critical discussions but wowsers bowsers do I now

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
You have come to the World of Anime! *whipcrack*

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I mean, they’re pretty different fantasies. One’s about having a couple of suspiciously young teenage girls be magically bound to love and obey you but it’s totally by accident I swear and I’ll definitely get it reversed in twenty volumes’ time because I’m an ethical slaveowner. The other is about having your suicide attempt derailed because the powerful but endearingly vulnerable older gentleman who was supposed to kill you turned out to be so alien and naive that he thought it was a human courtship ritual, and gradually helps you restore your sense of self-worth instead (also, he’s sexy, animal-headed Cthulhu). Like, they’re both probably going to make people look at you funny, but one seems a bit more actively reprehensible than the other.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Harukana is idols now

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Perhaps everything was always idols.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Were the real idols the friends we made along the way?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

Were the real idols the friends we made along the way?

in most idol anime, yes

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

A sweet episode

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I feel like that show's gotten better about drawing our athletes with actual muscles, too. Narumi looked loving JACKED this ep.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
The toughest beach idol

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

The season's about halfway done, here's the shows I'm still watching, in approximate order from good to mediocre:

Asobi Asobase: Cool show about terrible people. Good comedic timing, good voice acting, good faces.
Cells at Work: Extremely pleasant and watchable edutainment, great character design, learning a lot.
Harukana Receive: Funny and well-animated, predictable plot without a lot of drama, in contrast to...
Hanebado!: Cautiously enjoying it, but it's all going to hinge on how they end up handling the bad mom plot.
Banana Fish: The plot is kind of a mess and pretty problematic in places, but it's still a compelling watch.
Chio-chan: The first episode was bad, but recent episodes are much better, with some fun animation and acting.
Revue Starlight + Planet With: Two very enjoyable shows that need to start getting to the point.
My Hero Academia: The current arc is dumb filler, and the amount of exposition seems worse than usual.

Show I've dropped:

Backstreet Girls: I don't know why I watched this. Made it five minutes into the first episode.
Happy Suggar Life: Same. Really unpleasant to watch, and the mysteries aren't that compelling.
Grand Blue: Ugly, poorly paced, utterly unremarkable adaptation.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart
I know nothing about this show but I do know that blonde ponytail girl is the best in this image

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Knorth posted:

Harukana is idols now

I WAS TRICKED

They promised me a sports anime

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

RanKizama posted:

I know nothing about this show but I do know that blonde ponytail girl is the best in this image

It's actually her twin sister with the glasses.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Paracelsus posted:

It's actually her twin sister with the glasses.

It's true.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Team Eclair is pretty great it's true

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

StandardVC10 posted:

I WAS TRICKED

They promised me a sports anime

It turns out Idol anime was sports all along. Alternately it was magical girl anime all along. Idols are very adaptable

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I was really interested in BananaFish and then that interest just eroded with each episode. I just couldn't take how they blatantly telegraph the things happening and then the characters often time just act/react in ways that just dont feel genuine

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Araki posted:

My Hero Academia: The current arc is dumb filler, and the amount of exposition seems worse than usual.

No it's not. Just the one episode was. And even then, that episode was an elaboration of events implied in the manga.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Aug 18, 2018

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
glad to know mha is bad now and i wont be starting season 3 good day

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Expect My Mom posted:

glad to know mha is bad now and i wont be starting season 3 good day

It's not, though.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Season 3 has the best episodes in the entire series.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
filler is often good

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

lol

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Oh that game looked neat

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Waffleman_ posted:

No it's not. Just the one episode was. And even then, that episode was an elaboration of events implied in the manga.

Sorry please update your dictionary definition of 'filler' to include 'anything I don't like'.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

filler is often good

as someone who loves boruto, i agree

mha filler is so far universally bad though

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

There have been like three total episodes of filler in 50 odd episodes of MHA so far.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

gmq posted:

Season 3 has the best episodes in the entire series.

It's probably not even that close.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

There have been like three total episodes of filler in 50 odd episodes of MHA so far.

What if there have actually been 47?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

the small sample size makes it easier to write the concept of mha filler off

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Waffleman_ posted:

They just spent three episodes on a stupid ball game that had to be paused every thirty seconds so another minor character could explain their powers and backstory and have a lengthy back-and-forth with the UA kids, and it didn't even matter in the end because everyone in 1-A just sort of ended up winning because of the power of friendship and/or sheer willpower.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Only one episode was filler though because the rest is in the manga.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Also people in a shounen show winning through the power of friendship, what a loving surprise

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Just because it was in the manga doesn't mean it's not filler though? This entire arc feels like the mangaka stalling for time while he works out the next big event.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I was joking in my post but lol at this

Araki posted:

Just because it was in the manga doesn't mean it's not filler though?

This idea will never not kill me

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

for the sake of clarity I'd probably call that padding, but this bit in the manga did set up some important stuff and i think it's just suffering from the typical issue of anime dragging everything out to 22 minutes

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Araki posted:

Just because it was in the manga doesn't mean it's not filler though? This entire arc feels like the mangaka stalling for time while he works out the next big event.

Filler means it wasn't in the manga, it doesn't mean 'I think this bit sucks'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Thinking back to when people said JoJo Part 4 was mostly filler and my head is gonna explode

• Locked thread