Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Does anyone ever get Pokemon that either hatch or are caught with the original CP of 666? I don't know why, but it tickles me and I keep them. I have an Eevee, a Sandshrew, and an Aron with that CP level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

pubic works project posted:

Does anyone ever get Pokemon that either hatch or are caught with the original CP of 666? I don't know why, but it tickles me and I keep them. I have an Eevee, a Sandshrew, and an Aron with that CP level.

Who the hell doesn't keep an army of 69/420/666 critters around?

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

DizzyBum posted:

I have a 420 and a 666 Torchic and will keep them forever.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

DizzyBum posted:

Nice.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

FistEnergy posted:

Machamp is awesome and good for almost anything and I still don't have one :smith:

None of the evolutions seem to spawn in my area. I try to focus on the Field Research quest but it's not very common. Until I build a good Psychic team to Raid him I'm kinda stuck.

Do you have any hariyamas? They're almost as good.

Ballz posted:

Regirock is worse than ice and steel. It can do non-stop successive attacks 4 to 5 in a row, causing you to waste multiple balls. I don’t think I’ve encountered any other Pokémon that does it more than 2 or 3 times.

Tyranitar.

But in general, I find regiwhatevers pretty easy to catch, since hitting them with excellent curveballs is so easy. You just need to be patient and time the throw for when they attack.

e: for Registeel, my catch rate is 100%: 14 seen, 14 caught. Regice is 14/17.

Wheany fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Aug 17, 2018

ubergnu
Jun 7, 2002

Failed gothic

Untrustable posted:

I got an EX pass today. That's cool. I thought you had to work really hard for those. I just raid here and there and take gyms occasionally.

Yeah, uh, I got one of those too. So, do I just have to show up at that time and place and something will be at the gym? Do I have to get on Discord/Facebook or what you kids "hang out" at these days? I'm an old.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

ubergnu posted:

Yeah, uh, I got one of those too. So, do I just have to show up at that time and place and something will be at the gym? Do I have to get on Discord/Facebook or what you kids "hang out" at these days? I'm an old.

For ex raids in my experience, just show up at the time, there will be people there.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
Are any of you in the NYC Metro area? Two questions for you:

1) I'm out on Long Island and I never see growlithe's or ponyta's, do they ever spawn in the city? I really want to add Arcanine and Rapidash to my dex.

2) Can you catch anything cool at the Bronx Zoo? It looks like there's a lot of stops but I don't know what spawns there.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
1 Hariyama, 97, very few candies. I've got a lot of things in the works.

ubergnu
Jun 7, 2002

Failed gothic

Wheany posted:

For ex raids in my experience, just show up at the time, there will be people there.

Skeet!

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

ubergnu posted:

"Just Show Up" is the general advice, yeah.

Additional advice:

- Set up your party ahead of time. Tyranitar is usually your best bet, followed by anything else with powerful ghost/dark/bug attacks. Otherwise, just use your strongest guys.
- Find and join your local PoGo Discord if one is available.
- Show up 5-10 minutes before start time. If the group is large enough, there may be one or more people trying to organize separate groups by team color to maximize your rewards.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
What happens if I trade a Level 35 Pokemon to a level 28 trainer?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

DizzyBum posted:

"Just Show Up" is the general advice, yeah.

- Show up 5-10 minutes before start time. If the group is large enough, there may be one or more people trying to organize separate groups by team color to maximize your rewards.

If you show up early enough you can try to flip the gym so you get additional pokeballs. Also, you can be the one who organizes teams. It's not hard, you just say "Blue! Blue over here!" or whatever.

Black Feather
Apr 14, 2012

Call someone who cares.

Dr Tran posted:

What happens if I trade a Level 35 Pokemon to a level 28 trainer?

The level of the 'mon gets decreased. You get a warning for it when you're in the trade screen.

ubergnu
Jun 7, 2002

Failed gothic

Beachcomber posted:

you just say "Blue! Blue over here!"

Oh, just my daily routine then.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

DizzyBum posted:

I am so sad that I haven't gotten any 69 Pokemon yet.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

Epi Lepi posted:

Are any of you in the NYC Metro area? Two questions for you:

1) I'm out on Long Island and I never see growlithe's or ponyta's, do they ever spawn in the city? I really want to add Arcanine and Rapidash to my dex.

2) Can you catch anything cool at the Bronx Zoo? It looks like there's a lot of stops but I don't know what spawns there.

1) They're not common, but show up every once in a while. Most importantly they nest, so if you check the Silph Road nest atlas you can probably find parks that will spawn a bunch of them at any given time. I think Long Island is still incorrectly marked as one giant nest so you're not gonna have much luck there unless it randomly switches to Growlithe or Ponyta soon. Alternatively you can go on vacation to a desert biome and find them everywhere.

edit: I checked for you and De Witt Clinton Park is currently a Ponyta nest, while you'll have to go to New Jersey for Growlithe. Nests will all change on Wednesday night next week though, so you can just wait for that and check the atlas again.

2) I haven't been there since around the time the game launched, but if I recall the spawns were pretty varied there. Seemed like a pretty good place to catch a bunch of different things.

runawayturtles fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Aug 17, 2018

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Real proud of those cp69 Pikachus that know how to party.

AzureSkye
Mar 4, 2010

DizzyBum posted:

Even with garbage IVs he would have been the crown jewel of eevee day, if only he were shiny.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Wheany posted:

Do you have any hariyamas? They're almost as good.

Tyranitar.

But in general, I find regiwhatevers pretty easy to catch, since hitting them with excellent curveballs is so easy. You just need to be patient and time the throw for when they attack.

e: for Registeel, my catch rate is 100%: 14 seen, 14 caught. Regice is 14/17.

I never had that much trouble with Registeel/Regice, maybe a 60 percent catch rate for those guys.

Maybe it’s a small sample size but being 0 for 4 on Regirock and throwing 30+ balls at it with no success is giving me Kyogre flashbacks.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

seiferguy posted:

Real proud of those cp69 Pikachus that know how to party.

Okay I admit I had to :lol: at the 420 Cool Dude Pikachu.

420 Chikorita is also appropriate.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

how are you all seeing your IV% and stuff?

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

I got this guy last week, he's never going away

The 420 Roselia I saw yesterday ran away :(

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

IcePhoenix posted:

how are you all seeing your IV% and stuff?

Download an app called Poke Genie.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

DizzyBum posted:

this is the most essential part. Almost every raid, almost everyone goes in immediately at hatch. showing 5-10 minutes before hatch is basically on time, showing up at hatch is showing up late.

but be careful, there is such a thing as too early:

showing up 30 minutes early just means listening to some grumpy old man tell every new arrival about how he hates spoofers that keep kicking him out of gyms because he's on [instinct/valor/mystic] and complains about bots from [mystic/valor/instinct] golden razzing the EX gym he's trying to take before the raid (and ignoring the 25 people from that team literally at the raid working on holding it)

just fill in whichever teams are appropriate, the story doesn't change

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Are there any working tracker sites? Came back to this game a few weeks ago. I know Niantic is always trying to squash them but that never seems to stop people from spinning up new ones.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Maps have been down for quite some time, actually. Niantic did some change which required a new key to be cracked and so far as I know it hasn't been. Whatever they did this time seems to have been effective, unlike many of their prior attempts.

I don't know details, though.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Psion posted:

Maps have been down for quite some time, actually. Niantic did some change which required a new key to be cracked and so far as I know it hasn't been. Whatever they did this time seems to have been effective, unlike many of their prior attempts.

I don't know details, though.

:negative:

On the plus side, the new Silph Road nest tracker seems to be really really good. I went to a park a few blocks away that purported to be an Abra nest and was not disappointed. Finally have enough candy for an Alakazam, just need to research the optimal move set.

edit: best = nest. gently caress you autocorrect. :mad:

Siets fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Aug 18, 2018

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Thanks, fellow Knight

Balk
Oct 15, 2011

Siets posted:

Are there any working tracker sites? Came back to this game a few weeks ago. I know Niantic is always trying to squash them but that never seems to stop people from spinning up new ones.

I know of one that’s in beta right now. It only does raids, and only in a few areas. Here’s a link.

The developer didn’t crack Niantic’s anti-map change, but he found a way around it:

quote:

Going forward, the way we will scan for data will be completely different. In the past, we used Bossland's hashing service that allowed us to have thousands of accounts on a single server. We were able to scan for things by sending data to the game servers and directly reading the data what was sent to the accounts. We can no longer scan like this. With the changes to the game made by Niantic, Bossland has not been able to fix their hashing service.

We are now scanning using image recognition. We will only be able to have one account per physical device that is hooked up to one of our servers. The servers tell the accounts on the devices where to go and then interpret what is on the device's screen from image recognition. We aren't simply able to pull data from the game server like we used to.

With that being said, scanning will look a lot different going forward. We won't have the luxury of pulling game data like IVs or Pokemon moves without even catching the Pokemon, but there still is a lot that we can do. Each scanning account will be doing more than before and acting more efficiently than before. We are starting with **raids**, they are the first piece of our new scanner. In the somewhat near future, we can see **research** tasks and **Pokemon** shown on the nearby section added as well. In the distant future, we'd like to incorporate more Pokemon scans.

It’s currently free since it’s in beta, but it looks like he’ll charge $5 per month once the beta ends.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
God forbid Niantic just gives us the ability to zoom out and see what raids and timers are in the surrounding area. Can't have players aware of their options or able to schedule anything themselves.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i live like 20 feet away from being able to see an ex gym and it kills me. but also i caught a second shiny swablu today

Balk
Oct 15, 2011
Just making the Go to Gym button available when you don’t have a mon there would be a big improvement.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

FistEnergy posted:

God forbid Niantic just gives us the ability to zoom out and see what raids and timers are in the surrounding area. Can't have players aware of their options or able to schedule anything themselves.

This is the thing I want to the most in this game, the ability to look around the map, to see what raids are starting soon in town so I don't have to drive there to find out nothing is happening or one's starting in an hour.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

I've renamed evil boi/girl to jean ralphio and mona lisa since

i can still taste him
Feb 16, 2003
Buglord
I'm just some casual who is just looking to populate his pokedex a bit. I played with everyone for a month or two at launch then quit, but picked it up again this summer after reading about trades and more mons having been added. Glad I found this thread.

I'm happy when I get stuff like a Dugtrio with Fabio locks, or a shiny Sandslash. Caught my first wild Snorlax and Ursaring today. Currently working on 400 Magikarp candies for the Mew thing. gently caress ghost types tho - still picking away at that one.

Zydrate
Jun 28, 2011

Pretty much won the lotto with this one.

X13Fen
Oct 18, 2006

"Is that an accurate quote? It should be.
I think about it often enough."

Teddiursa and Ponyta are my favorites there

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

stonen o'brien is too long for a regirock nickname apparently

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Another alternative is calcy iv, if you're on Android. It has a feature to approximate the ivs and level of mons when you're capturing them that some people swear by, but I like it because it can easily rename my mons with their ivs.

• Locked thread