Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

hoiyes posted:

Pretty sure anything in the app is fair game.

I thought it had something to do with balance, but I could be wrong; I'd have to look stuff up. I was thinking that the 2.0 non-Core non-blister stuff could be potentially harder for a new player to get and play with in OP events since - like, let's say you didn't buy in til 2.0 but your FLGS no longer has 1.0 stock when you buy in around let's say October. You'd basically be locked out of everything in conversion kits that doesn't have a true 2.0 counterpart, even if it's been ported over via conversion kit.

I'm not sure where I heard this first but I could've sworn it was brought up. If not, cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
They've suggested supporting various different official formats through the app, and beginner friendly are likely one of them, but won't be the core format.

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

hoiyes posted:

Pretty sure anything in the app is fair game.

I think you are right, the GenCon tournament was quite restrictive I believe but FFG have been clear that ongoing events will be balanced using the app.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Trailer for the new Resistance dropped

I see at least three ships that will show up in x-wing. The protagonists ship, the rivals ship (which looks alot like an r-41 starchaser) and whatever strafes the city.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

bunnyofdoom posted:

Trailer for the new Resistance dropped

I see at least three ships that will show up in x-wing. The protagonists ship, the rivals ship (which looks alot like an r-41 starchaser) and whatever strafes the city.

Man, something about that art style is seriously off-putting to me. It's not exactly ugly, but I really don't like it.

Also yay for new ships.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

ConfusedUs posted:

Man, something about that art style is seriously off-putting to me. It's not exactly ugly, but I really don't like it.

Yeah, the animation looked smooth enough, but all the characters looked like they belonged in Lilo and Stitch.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
Yeah, the animation style has weird looking people but the ships look REALLY good in that style, at least imho.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
It’s Dreamcast-era CG cel shading style. As soon as it started playing, I heard the music from Jet Set Radio.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

TheCenturion posted:

It’s Dreamcast-era CG cel shading style. As soon as it started playing, I heard the music from Jet Set Radio.

Cell shading can look great, though, as in a couple of Zelda games. This is just...weird looking

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

ConfusedUs posted:

Cell shading can look great, though, as in a couple of Zelda games. This is just...weird looking

Sure. JSR looked fine, as did many cel-shaded games from the period.

For this trailer, the bits that bother me are that the faces are very flat, both in terms of modelling and shading, and that they do a lot of the 'eyes dart about, mouth flaps, absolutely nothing else moves' style. Go back and watch some Rebels, especially later-series stuff, and their facial expressions and movements are comically overexaggerated, because they need to be.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

The animation style is weird and off putting has been a criticism said about basically every single Lucasfilm created cartoon since the dawn of man by somebody.

Except maybe Ewoks, didn't everyone love the animation style of Ewoks?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

That trailer looks entirely too kiddie and basic, compared to some of the things I've seen of Rebels, and that's OK. We'll get some cool ships out of it, kids will get a new Star Wars show, and neckbeards will get really upset. Everyone wins!

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I wonder if the trailer is all footage from the first episode or something. Seems kinda weird to call it "Resistance" if it's just about some double agent in a racing circuit.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Improbable Lobster posted:

I wonder if the trailer is all footage from the first episode or something. Seems kinda weird to call it "Resistance" if it's just about some double agent in a racing circuit.

Rebels also struck me (at first) as a show developed for kids that wouldn't have anything for me in it since I'd be out of the target demo, but it wound up being pretty good.

I expect the scope of this one to similarly expand if it gets a decent reception. What's more, Resistance represents the best shot at getting "canonized" new ships into X-Wing's two most sparse factions, so that's cool.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

TheCenturion posted:

checks out http://crossfade.io/#!/4e4c7fkz1t

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

http://crossfade.io/#!/o6jkyn544k

The show is about a spy, you'd pretty much have to use "Sneakman" right

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

AndyElusive posted:

The animation style is weird and off putting has been a criticism said about basically every single Lucasfilm created cartoon since the dawn of man by somebody.

Except maybe Ewoks, didn't everyone love the animation style of Ewoks?

I can’t speak for Ewoks, but I genuinely love the weird designs and color use in Droids.

IIRC they were both done by Nelvana?

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Improbable Lobster posted:

Wave Race 64, the TV show, featuring #resist

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Getting some major Crimson Skies vibes off the protag's ship.

e:

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Aug 18, 2018

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

I really like how the other one is basically a flying Ford GT40 with the Gulf livery.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

TremorX posted:

I really like how the other one is basically a flying Ford GT40 with the Gulf livery.

Someone on reddit pointed out that it’s a dead ringer for the Gulf Porsche 917

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Wow, that's really blatant

Good thing it looks cool

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Oh wow, yeah, that's definitely closer. Very nice homage without being a straight-up lift.

It's not nearly as "blatant" as the Ghost being based on the Narcissus from Alien, though.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I have a few predictions for the early days of X-Wing Second Edition. This presumes that the tournament meta allows ALL content including the conversion kits.

1) Efficiency will be the name of the game. Lots of health, lots of dice, not many points per ship.
2) TIE Bombers and TIE Punishers are the most efficient ships in the game. By a fair margin.
3) TIE Fighter swarms will make a strong showing, then ultimately get wrecked by Trajectory Simulator Punishers and Fearless Boba Fett
4) Something akin to this list will be top dog. It has answers for both swarms and aces (bombs), and too much health to be burned down quickly.
5) The following cards are too cheap: Trajectory Simulator, Proton Bomb, and 0-0-0. I predict a ~3 point increase in all of them in the first big update.
6) Most big turret ships are too expensive. Swarms will just eat them alive.
7) Variants on 100-point-ace will be the best Rebel archetype. Get Luke or Corran to the endgame versus any 3 generic ships, and it's a game. Against any two, Rebels win. You just gotta GET there.
8) Scum's toughest nut to crack will be Boba Fett. With Fearless and Maurader (for Han gunner), he's got a TON of passive mods. He hits like a truck and is incredibly tanky.
9) Every faction has some way to wring out massive action economy from just a few pieces. If ace lists take off, it'll be because someone found the right combo that grants enough tricks to outmaneuver bomber swarms. If it happens, I expect it'll be based around Lt. Sai (Lambda) for Imperial, L3-37 (attack shuttle) for Scum, and a U-Wing for Rebels (with Esege in the K-Wing as a dark horse option)
10) If tournaments are restricted to just Wave 1 stuff, the Howl + Iden TIE swarm will be king

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

ConfusedUs posted:

I have a few predictions for the early days of X-Wing

I agree with everything you have said. I have been having a quiet laugh at people who keep saying bombs are going to be bad in 2.0.

Boba has all the chance in the world of being a beast. I’m currently planning to use Fearless Boba w/ perceptive co pilot and vet + a EC for the coord and Fenn. Really excited to test it out along with the other list I have running through my head.

I did not tell my buddy that The Incredible Bulk is possible in 2.0 and sadly he figured it out. I am really over that list and regret giving it to him. Lol.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

ConfusedUs posted:

I have a few predictions for the early days of X-Wing Second Edition. This presumes that the tournament meta allows ALL content including the conversion kits.

1) Efficiency will be the name of the game. Lots of health, lots of dice, not many points per ship.
2) TIE Bombers and TIE Punishers are the most efficient ships in the game. By a fair margin.
3) TIE Fighter swarms will make a strong showing, then ultimately get wrecked by Trajectory Simulator Punishers and Fearless Boba Fett
4) Something akin to this list will be top dog. It has answers for both swarms and aces (bombs), and too much health to be burned down quickly.
5) The following cards are too cheap: Trajectory Simulator, Proton Bomb, and 0-0-0. I predict a ~3 point increase in all of them in the first big update.
7) Variants on 100-point-ace will be the best Rebel archetype. Get Luke or Corran to the endgame versus any 3 generic ships, and it's a game. Against any two, Rebels win. You just gotta GET there.
8) Scum's toughest nut to crack will be Boba Fett. With Fearless and Maurader (for Han gunner), he's got a TON of passive mods. He hits like a truck and is incredibly tanky.
9) Every faction has some way to wring out massive action economy from just a few pieces. If ace lists take off, it'll be because someone found the right combo that grants enough tricks to outmaneuver bomber swarms. If it happens, I expect it'll be based around Lt. Sai (Lambda) for Imperial, L3-37 (attack shuttle) for Scum, and a U-Wing for Rebels (with Esege in the K-Wing as a dark horse option)
10) If tournaments are restricted to just Wave 1 stuff, the Howl + Iden TIE swarm will be king

Bombs happening in a phase all of their own is a major benefit for aces. I think they'll have better answers for bombers than any of the 1.0 experience has shown us, especially now that many aces don't require as many offensive mods to push damage through at range thanks to overall reduced capability of generating defensive results. Punishers in particular are going to get chip damage from long range all the loving time.

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

How can one fail a lock action? According to the rules, you declare action, measure range to anything you want, and the you choose one object within range to lock. As you can also lock asteroids, there will rarely be a time when nothing is eligible for a lock.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Being forced to lock a rock might as well be failing it

Also seismic charges remove rocks.

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

ConfusedUs posted:

Being forced to lock a rock might as well be failing it

Also seismic charges remove rocks.
Sure, but people are talking about how E-Wings can use their linked action to fail a Lock action and use Composure to do a white Focus action instead. But my reading of the rules makes it seem like this isn't (or very rarely) possible?

Edit:
Never mind, seems you can simply not choose to lock anything to force a fail: "While acquiring a lock, it fails if no object is chosen."

uncle blog fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Aug 18, 2018

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

ConfusedUs posted:

I agree with most of this, but I think you're sleeping extremely hard on Supernatural Reflexes aces. Both Vader and Luke are totally impossible for a huge number of ships to actually hit at all, and are functionally not blockable, particularly Vader writ large (especially with Afterburners) or Luke with his foils closed. All of those dice won't matter if you can't shoot the mans. For my money, even at 12 points, I think Supernatural Reflexes is far too cheap for what it does in the current game. If tournaments allow you to run with the whole gamut of things in conversion kits, that opens up the options to pair with the aces considerably. If tournaments are restricted to wave 1 things (X-Wing/Y-Wing/U-Wing, Reaper/TIE/Advanced, Slave I/Fang/Landofalcon/Shuttle) and people run Iden + Howl TIE swarms, Supernatural demolishes them - you just save money by not taking Proton Torpedoes on Luke or Homing Missiles on Vader.

The thing I've been puzzling over as I've been tooling around in listbuilder hardcore for the last... two weeks? Week and change? I forget, I've been doing it every day - is what to pair with those aces. Supernatural Luke/Vader could also very easily do a variation on "blow up enough of your points to where I'm worth more, never get shot again, go to time." The trick is to figure out what the hell to put with them. I've run Vader and three TIEs but I'm not sure that's the best take; I've run Luke with Norra and Wedge and I'm not sure that's the best take; but I think Supernatural aces will influence the game substantially more than your prediction indicates. I anticipate that figuring out what the right bid is for your local meta will be increasingly important as people tweak lists that are Supernatural ace + stuff.

My biggest /agree in this list is that fat turret ships like the Falcon are currently overcosted. Han and Lando are sexy Falcon pilots, to use an example, who get a ton of mileage out of their abilities and are good in a vacuum, but at 92 points (!!!) each they're just too costly. The Decimator similarly doesn't impress me much.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

guts and bolts posted:

The thing I've been puzzling over as I've been tooling around in listbuilder hardcore for the last... two weeks? Week and change? I forget, I've been doing it every day - is what to pair with those aces. Supernatural Luke/Vader could also very easily do a variation on "blow up enough of your points to where I'm worth more, never get shot again, go to time." The trick is to figure out what the hell to put with them. I've run Vader and three TIEs but I'm not sure that's the best take; I've run Luke with Norra and Wedge and I'm not sure that's the best take; but I think Supernatural aces will influence the game substantially more than your prediction indicates. I anticipate that figuring out what the right bid is for your local meta will be increasingly important as people tweak lists that are Supernatural ace + stuff.

This is the reason I'm sleeping on those aces, actually.

What do you pair with them? How do I help my 90-point force Ace survive to the endgame? This second piece (which could be anything from a single ship to a mini-swarm) needs to be able to operate independently of the ace, and force the enemy to choose which piece to attack. It has to be too dangerous to ignore and too tanky to kill quickly.

If they go after the Ace in such a situation, things are peachy. The Ace can run away while the second piece tears into the enemy's rear. Almost anything works here.

But what if the other guy heads towards your second piece? It has to trade dearly enough to leave your Ace in a game-winning situation, and that's pretty hard to do consistently in second edition.

For Luke I'm pretty sure the answer is Biggs, Selfless, and similar damage-spreading stuff. Just joust most things, take a few lumps, kill enough of their stuff that Luke can take the rest of 'em out. Corran may actually be the correct Ace here, due to his increased ability to deal damage from the double-tap on that all-important joust.

Not sure what to do for Vader. You can fit a four-TIE miniswarm, a couple of Punishers, three bombers, a Lambda + another ace. None of them seem to reliably hold up against swarm lists, and Vader isn't hitting hard enough to thin the enemy before it kills his second piece...

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

ConfusedUs posted:

This is the reason I'm sleeping on those aces, actually.

What do you pair with them? How do I help my 90-point force Ace survive to the endgame? This second piece (which could be anything from a single ship to a mini-swarm) needs to be able to operate independently of the ace, and force the enemy to choose which piece to attack. It has to be too dangerous to ignore and too tanky to kill quickly.

If they go after the Ace in such a situation, things are peachy. The Ace can run away while the second piece tears into the enemy's rear. Almost anything works here.

But what if the other guy heads towards your second piece? It has to trade dearly enough to leave your Ace in a game-winning situation, and that's pretty hard to do consistently in second edition.

For Luke I'm pretty sure the answer is Biggs, Selfless, and similar damage-spreading stuff. Just joust most things, take a few lumps, kill enough of their stuff that Luke can take the rest of 'em out. Corran may actually be the correct Ace here, due to his increased ability to deal damage from the double-tap on that all-important joust.

Not sure what to do for Vader. You can fit a four-TIE miniswarm, a couple of Punishers, three bombers, a Lambda + another ace. None of them seem to reliably hold up against swarm lists, and Vader isn't hitting hard enough to thin the enemy before it kills his second piece...

Luke with Norra has paid dividends for me so far in that Norra is not a ship you can ignore safely, especially if you are running things like Punishers and Bombers. The third ship is the one I'm puzzling over - I think Thane Kyrell is cute but not spectacular, Biggs is good but Luke won't get the most out of him, etc. Maybe a U-Wing could be the answer I'm looking for here? Not sure. I just think that Supernatural Luke, a kitted Norra, and a third ship TBA (I've been using Wedge) do perfectly fine against 4+ ships, especially if they can't move a lot or roll 2 or fewer green dice.

Vader is the one who I am less sold on, particularly if only Wave 1 is tourney legal. (Which, I have no idea why I was so ironclad certain that that was a thing. Is it a thing?) You can do four TIEs with Crack Shot, which seems... okay? I don't have enough experience with Reapers to know if that's the answer. My tentative answer has been Vader + Supernatural + Afterburners with Iden, Howlrunner, and Del Meeko all naked. It's 200 exactly, which is not great for bid purposes, but it does okay.

My larger point is that a list heavy on Bombers or Punishers does absolutely nothing to a Supernatural ace. Not, like, only a little bit of stuff - I mean virtually nothing unless the guy flying the Supernatural ace isn't so good.

I haven't played X-Wing 2.0 enough to state anything definitively, so I'm willing to defer to your experience here. I'm just saying that in my experience, Supernatural Reflexes is way, way too good, even at 12 points. Luke and Vader will absolutely influence the meta, especially if the FOTM list is initiative 2 Punishers and Bombers.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
A pimped out Guri with two naked slavers seems like it could be annoying.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

hoiyes posted:

A pimped out Guri with two naked slavers seems like it could be annoying.

Well, that's an interesting way to put it.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

guts and bolts posted:

http://crossfade.io/#!/o6jkyn544k

The show is about a spy, you'd pretty much have to use "Sneakman" right

Nah, you gotta use something by Guitar Vader.
http://crossfade.io/#!/8wzg75qc5n

This is a surprising amount of fun.
http://crossfade.io/#!/8wzg75qc5n

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

ConfusedUs posted:

Anecdotal because I've only played 2.0 in my FLGS's own little mini-meta, but Vader and a Defender is really hard to kill, if a bit stressful to fly. You have enough points to deck both out (I highly recommend advanced sensors on the D, to prevent getting bump-killed as best you can) and play with missiles or maybe even a cannon on the Defender, with a bid.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Any opinions on Bro-Bots in 2.0? I have a feeling that they could be pretty good..

I want to like Vader, but Vader not being able to equip engine upgrade realllllllly limits what he can do.

Raged fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Aug 19, 2018

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
This is what I'm spitballing as a Vader+Miniswurm list. It has a 4-point initiative bid to give you control of initiative, Vader has Cluster Missiles to help you dust up swarms, and the mini-swurm is at PS2 to grant an edge over fullswurms. If you want to give up some of the bid for more dakka, you could pull the Cluster Missiles off Vader, push the Obsidians up to Black Squadron Aces, and give them Crack Shot.

Darth Vader (70)
Supernatural Reflexes (12)
Fire-Control System (3)
Cluster Missiles (5)
Afterburners (8)

"Night Beast" (26)
Obsidian Squadron Pilot (24)

Total: 196

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Cobbsprite posted:

This is what I'm spitballing as a Vader+Miniswurm list. It has a 4-point initiative bid to give you control of initiative, Vader has Cluster Missiles to help you dust up swarms, and the mini-swurm is at PS2 to grant an edge over fullswurms. If you want to give up some of the bid for more dakka, you could pull the Cluster Missiles off Vader, push the Obsidians up to Black Squadron Aces, and give them Crack Shot.

Darth Vader (70)
Supernatural Reflexes (12)
Fire-Control System (3)
Cluster Missiles (5)
Afterburners (8)

"Night Beast" (26)

Total: 196

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

I'd drop the missiles and FCS and have a twelve point bid. Seriously.

It depends on what your meta is doing actually. Right now it seems like there will be bidding wars among Supernatural ace lists until the bid gets way too aggressive and you don't have the points to fight a highly optimized efficiency list, and then 4+ ships roll you.

196 isn't a bad place to start though. I like Homing Missiles a lot but to each their own. If you're running TIEs and no Iden keep in mind some lists will kill a TIE a turn. I feel like Iden is non-negotiable in any TIE formation of 3+ ships, but that's just mostly theory talking. I only have a handful of Vader + Howl/Iden/Del games under my belt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Raged posted:

Any opinions on Bro-Bots in 2.0? I have a feeling that they could be pretty good..

I want to like Vader, but Vader not being able to equip engine upgrade realllllllly limits what he can do.

Double post probably sorry

Vader is incredible. If he had boost on his bar at all, even if he had to take Engine Upgrade to make it white, he'd be absolutely OP at initiative 6. He isn't "really limited" so much as he is "not game-bustingly overpowered." He's essentially held in check exclusively because if he wants to Supernatural boost it costs him a health. Plus Afterburners exist so.