Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

TheAgent posted:

no one wants their name associated with any star citizen poo poo

two artists were like "don't put my name or Twitter or whatever on this poo poo, gently caress that"

Waidaminnniiiit.... I thought you'd fully divested all artistic control and management to some flashy guy with a thick head of (alpaca) hair...

e: tax - click for ultra HD jelly cat

Mr Fronts fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Aug 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

I too uncritically believe those lying rear end in a top hat goons. Lazy fuckers be all *industrious* about their hatred, and they’re simultaneously incompetant and yet somehow capable of outthinking the whitest of knights.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

monkeytek posted:

Seriously, these guys just want to live out every incredibly perverted and most likely illegal sex/violence gameplay scenario ever crafted in the deepest recesses of the most broken of human minds.

It’s like they don’t even know that Sims 4 exists.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

peter gabriel posted:

If I had to guess I would say she probably bought a Mustang package :negative:

Mustang Dolly.

iamjohnsalt
Dec 6, 2017

Trilobite posted:

I think it seems fairly dumb to say that an engine logo on a splash screen has any promotional value at all, seeing as the only thing anybody does when the engine/publisher/developer logos are on the screen is hammer their keyboard like a maniac trying to make it all go the gently caress away and start the drat game already, but modern business and marketing practices come bundled with a lot of fairly dumb assumptions, and this seems to be one of them.

ya but you're a captive audience looking at that stupid logo and I could see why that's something a big company trying to rehab it's image would be pissed about

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Hearing about the newest lawsuit developments from backers first and then going back and reading what actually happened was pretty funny.

"We won! The courts shut down Crytek!"
"The Court hereby denies CIG's attempt to dismiss the case and destroys their argument, but also makes CIG exempt from 1/8th of the possible penalties."

This is like backers claiming a huge victory when the court said "CIG isn't required to submit to discovery because we haven't ordered them to yet. They don't understand that and filed to be exempt from an order that didn't exist like idiots." YAY!! CIG doesn't have to do discovery!!!!

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I love that some of these dummies think they're so important that down vote bots are deployed against them.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

phosdex posted:

I love that some of these dummies think they're so important that down vote bots are deployed against them.

It’s not paranoia if people are really out to get you.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Hav posted:

It’s not paranoia if people are really out to get you.

i am firing up my bot net and rallying the brigade to downvote you.

1 time.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
What have I missed in the last 1000 posts?

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

phosdex posted:

That's Reddit in a nutshell. Everyone's so up their own rear end that they're convinced that the internet revolves around their echo chamber subreddit... and of course particularly the user's account.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

What have I missed in the last 1000 posts?

Hot Legal action! He's a really good dog.

Oh, and the court case continues, it looks like it could be rough for CIG, but it could be much worse. It continues, but both sides are declaring victory.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

colonelwest posted:

Well, you're not invited to the swingin space pool parties that I'm going to throw with Kazan and Vertice. You'll be lucky if I pay you space minimum wage to be my pool attendant.

In the minds of the hardcore backers, the pool doesn't exist as just a hole in the floor filled with a mesh and water texture like it would for any sane person. It's a full fledged pool simulation that you can do everything in that you can do in real life, plus have all the social prestige that comes with pool ownership. Like you saw Starloop's breakdown, this isn't a game for them, its a virtual life in space that they can escape into and find fulfillment, purpose and respect.

Do you really want me in your space pool? :sureboat:

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

I'm not sure who this is but the photo is great. He's perfectly ensnared that look of "I just said I was a lawyer and lied to everybody and oh gently caress they believed me what am I going to do now oh god oh gently caress now I'm taking a photo oh poo poo"

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

TheAgent posted:

like 90% of my budget is going to art. art is loving expensive. gently caress art

gently caress you artists. draw my anime titties for free

I... I did... :negative:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Store Citizen: In-depth criminal erotic gameplay

It got better...

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

ewe2 posted:

That inspired me! An old cartoon I still remember!

For the tune:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laoBvt9CcQo

THAT KAZAN
Hero of song and story
THAT KAZAN
Winner of doubtful glory

Telling all he's right
Downvoting all night
With a strength of tennnn
Ordinary mennnnn

THAT KAZAN
Jpegs are safe when near him
THAT KAZAN
Only brigaders fear him

Softness in his eyes
Iron in his thighs
Virtue in his heart
Fire in every part
Of the mighty
THAT KAZAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNN!!!!!

THAT KAZAN
Upvotes are mandatory
THAT KAZAN
Downvotes are predatory

He is not afraid
Software is his trade
Understands the code
He will not be slowed

THAT KAZAN
How can they understand him
THAT KAZAN
No one can reprimand him

Join us for the ride
Parping all with pride
Victory is near
Raise a mighty cheer
At the sight of
THAT KAZAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNN!!!!

Awesome, and I remember that theme song well.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Hav posted:

I too uncritically believe those lying rear end in a top hat goons. Lazy fuckers be all *industrious* about their hatred, and they’re simultaneously incompetant and yet somehow capable of outthinking the whitest of knights.

This is actually my super power. I am both the most cunning of foxes but I am also cripplingly retarded and unable to function in day to day.

Every time I think "I shall doom this particular group with the sheer power of my intellect!" there are powerful waves of mental energy visibly expanding from around my head, and then I trip on a bucket and fall and forget how to stand up again for five days while drooling on my Red Lobster bib.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/dawnofevil/status/1030389838741155840
https://twitter.com/dawnofevil/status/1030393228237975552
https://twitter.com/dawnofevil/status/1030414498623102977
https://twitter.com/PalontoSC/status/1030594468477579264

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

That's quite a load you got in them diapers
They promised a long awaited roadmap update today and so far haven't delivered. What's the bet that it has some bad news and will be dropped very late in the day.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/AmazonGameTech/status/1030256652832915457

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

lmfao this is the saddest thing I've ever seen. especially cause last time he did this he baited himself into an unbelievable meltdown

also

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Beet Wagon posted:

lmfao this is the saddest thing I've ever seen. especially cause last time he did this he baited himself into an unbelievable meltdown

also

Star Citizen: The roadmap updated and nothing moved.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/1030616552499032064?s=19

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

Mr Fronts posted:

It got better...

I guess the question is, which one does he want to be? Getting some mixed signals here.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Hobold posted:

I guess the question is, which one does he want to be? Getting some mixed signals here.

The inevitable consequences of piracy fetch quests

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Amazing Zimmo posted:

They promised a long awaited roadmap update today and so far haven't delivered. What's the bet that it has some bad news and will be dropped very late in the day.

It's not easy coming up with more synonyms for "our network structure is hosed and we have no idea what we're doing but please don't stop sending us money".

Maybe refactoring the packet system? Emblazoning the thorough put traffic dispersal functions? Summoning the ghost of Roberts with the smell of money left to be squeezed?

Take your pick!

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

https://twitter.com/lopez_r94/status/1030577072161415173

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Getting this feeling Derek hates Star Trek. I don't blame him, I don't like it either, but I also don't go hunting the actors down in social media either. :shrug:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

The Titanic posted:

Getting this feeling Derek hates Star Trek. I don't blame him, I don't like it either, but I also don't go hunting the actors down in social media either. :shrug:

Wil wheaton's primary role now is acting like a bitch on twitter, so it's probably something about that

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

The Titanic posted:

He’s retweeting @comicbook.com’s twitter, not hunting anyone down. Is that brigading?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

The Titanic posted:

It's not easy coming up with more synonyms for "our network structure is hosed and we have no idea what we're doing but please don't stop sending us money".

Maybe refactoring the packet system? Emblazoning the thorough put traffic dispersal functions? Summoning the ghost of Roberts with the smell of money left to be squeezed?

Take your pick!

You're spot on about them needing to come up with the bullshit names as a smokescreen and to give backers new phrases to parrot. But I got hung up on "our network structure is hosed" because a thought occurred to me.

It's not really accurate to say that the networking is broken, or the performance is bad, or the game is buggy, etc. - because in reality, there isn't enough code here for that to be true. Nothing is planned - they're still just tossing assets out there.

The network infrastructure isn't hosed, because nobody at CIG has any idea what it is or isn't doing. More than that, they don't even really know what the plan is for the game. Is the networking adequate? Nobody even knows what it does now, much less what they'll need it to do.

Same thing with performance - the engine is a giant question mark that nobody understands. Is it working? Is it not? Does it need tweaks? A rebuild? Design a game and start coding it and they could tell you, but as it stands, nobody loving knows.

Bugs? Bullshit - there's not a single bug in Star Citizen and there never has been. For a game to have a "bug" there has to be a state to compare it against - a known and documented feature that you can contrast and say "it should work like this" and when it doesn't, that's a bug. Star Citizen is a shitload of art assets tossed sideways into a model viewer that occasionally sends packets that may or may not pertain to anything happening anywhere to systems that it may or may not need to send them to. There is no design, no feature set, no gameplay loop, and no expected behavior because they haven't even put in a loving physics or dogfighting game in their spaceship pew pew game yet.

Even when CIG says something negative about itself, never forget the underlying goal is to lie and steal money. Their show called "Bugsmashers" is a perfect example. It makes them look self-deprecating and relatable, but in reality it's implying that the game is so far along into development that it's reached the bug-fixing phase. The game is not yet designed. They're just tossing together any code that will make an image of a ship show up on your monitor and occasionally move.

Nothing about this project isn't pure bullshit.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

And gently caress the excuse that the game is pure poo poo because it's so "ambitious" and Chris is "aiming high." That's the weakest excuse imaginable, and in fact, it works against the project, because Chris has failed at literally everything in this game. He hasn't even been able to make a bog-standard FPS with an FPS engine designed for bog-standard FPS games. He failed to make a simple dogfight between 2 small ships work.

gently caress all this noise about how much ambition he has. He's built pure unadulterated garbage that has failed on every level. Aiming high is fine if you're qualified. If Chris Roberts jumped out of an airplane, he wouldn't be qualified to fall.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Scruffpuff posted:

You're spot on about them needing to come up with the bullshit names as a smokescreen and to give backers new phrases to parrot. But I got hung up on "our network structure is hosed" because a thought occurred to me.

It's not really accurate to say that the networking is broken, or the performance is bad, or the game is buggy, etc. - because in reality, there isn't enough code here for that to be true. Nothing is planned - they're still just tossing assets out there.

The network infrastructure isn't hosed, because nobody at CIG has any idea what it is or isn't doing. More than that, they don't even really know what the plan is for the game. Is the networking adequate? Nobody even knows what it does now, much less what they'll need it to do.

Same thing with performance - the engine is a giant question mark that nobody understands. Is it working? Is it not? Does it need tweaks? A rebuild? Design a game and start coding it and they could tell you, but as it stands, nobody loving knows.

Bugs? Bullshit - there's not a single bug in Star Citizen and there never has been. For a game to have a "bug" there has to be a state to compare it against - a known and documented feature that you can contrast and say "it should work like this" and when it doesn't, that's a bug. Star Citizen is a shitload of art assets tossed sideways into a model viewer that occasionally sends packets that may or may not pertain to anything happening anywhere to systems that it may or may not need to send them to. There is no design, no feature set, no gameplay loop, and no expected behavior because they haven't even put in a loving physics or dogfighting game in their spaceship pew pew game yet.

Even when CIG says something negative about itself, never forget the underlying goal is to lie and steal money. Their show called "Bugsmashers" is a perfect example. It makes them look self-deprecating and relatable, but in reality it's implying that the game is so far along into development that it's reached the bug-fixing phase. The game is not yet designed. They're just tossing together any code that will make an image of a ship show up on your monitor and occasionally move.

Nothing about this project isn't pure bullshit.

Eh, the network is hosed though. They don't have a full game or anything close to it, but they do have something which presumably would allow people to shoot each other with the same spaceship, but that runs at 10fps. So yeah, the network is hosed.

But really it isn't even the 'networking', its the game's architecture is just WRONG for an MMO. It won't scale.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Woah, look at 1 hour ago. This time of day is traditionally lowest for funding, but i've never seen funding drop to the $100 region per hour.

I guess we can expect a new concept sale soon!

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Zaphod42 posted:

Eh, the network is hosed though. They don't have a full game or anything close to it, but they do have something which presumably would allow people to shoot each other with the same spaceship, but that runs at 10fps. So yeah, the network is hosed.

But really it isn't even the 'networking', its the game's architecture is just WRONG for an MMO. It won't scale.

That's exactly my point, though. You can't say "the networking is hosed" because that would mean fixing the networking would fix the game. It won't. You can't even say "everything is hosed" because that would imply they have functioning game code but it's just very bad and poorly optimized and whatnot.

What CIG has isn't even code. They have not designed a game here - they threw together model viewers, camera hacks, and all kinds of bullshit to give the backers the illusion that they're playing a video game, but it's all smoke and mirrors in the worst way possible.

It's difficult to explain the point I'm trying to make here. ALL games are smoke and mirrors, so long as the end result looks and plays right, that's what matters. What I'm talking about is that under the hood, there is actually no functioning game engine here. The entire thing is a cheat made to look like a video game. They did this when the released the 2.0 PU in December 2015 to start denying refunds. The "build" they released was a front - they had been working on an internal build for years that was 100% broken and unreleasable, but there were orders to release something so they could claim that they'd delivered a "significant portion of the game." So in a few months they hacked together a system with noclip camera zooms approximating what a flying ship would look like, and a bunch of other poo poo too insane to get into. People look at the massless ships and say "oh the physics are off" - no, there are actually no physics at all. Their developers did work on the physics engine, and that code exists somewhere, but it's 100% broken so it's not in the present game. This was the same time they hacked in the now memetic "the player becomes the ship."

The entire thing is like those fake games they design for television shows. Just look at the December 2017 reveal of the SQ42 "progress." You can see the seams everywhere as a team of non-game developers with no experience and no understanding of anything on earth, working under the dumbest fucker imaginable, did what they could to visually approximate what they think they saw when playing real games.

Star Citizen is Ecce Homo, The Game.