Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Eh, dude is gender neutral. A man's a dude; a woman's a dude; my dog is a dude; if I stub my toe on the couch, it's probably gonna be called a dude.

well there's a poor page snype.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Marcade posted:

Eh, dude is gender neutral. A man's a dude; a woman's a dude; my dog is a dude; if I stub my toe on the couch, it's probably gonna be called a dude.

It's a tired cliche at this point, but what would you think I meant when I said I hosed a dude?

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

It's a tired cliche at this point, but what would you think I meant when I said I hosed a dude?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FqMODweN8lQ

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

That you had made $20 the hard way?

Alternately, you've been learning from Morally Inept, or "congratulations, I knew you had it in you."

Marcade has a new favorite as of 07:44 on Aug 18, 2018

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Dude is gender neutral. I don't even engage in gender politics and I know that. If you said you'd hosed a dude I'd just ask "which dude?". Now if you said you'd hosed a guy, that would be more cut and dry.

Edit: The last sentence rhymes and that is hilarious.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Untrustable posted:

Now if you said you'd hosed a guy, that would be more cut and dry.

Depends on the guy.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Untrustable posted:

Dude is gender neutral. I don't even engage in gender politics and I know that. If you said you'd hosed a dude I'd just ask "which dude?". Now if you said you'd hosed a guy, that would be more cut and dry.

Edit: The last sentence rhymes and that is hilarious.

That depends on where you go I think; here "dude" is always a guy.

Actually I shouldn't say that because "guy" is pretty gender neutral here.

...WHY ARE WORDS SO COMPLICATED?

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
I'd never thought about it before but it's kinda interesting how "guys" is often used in a gender-neutral sense, but "guy" pretty much never is. Weird.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Historically, the rule was that the masculine form was also the neutral form, and the plural of the masculine form was to be used to refer to any group with at least one male member. This approach is falling out of favor. Please post some funny forums quotes.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Bongo Bill posted:

Historically, the rule was that the masculine form was also the neutral form, and the plural of the masculine form was to be used to refer to any group with at least one male member. This approach is falling out of favor. Please post some funny forums quotes.

this one was funny

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Hey everyone! I don't wanna yell at anyone while I'm all tired and about to lay down for bed, so now I'm rested and ready to type. My guess is that all of you pretty much think I don't spend any time thinking about the kind of probations I hand out, but I really actually really really do. I've been your moderator for about 22 months now, and this entire time I've been working on this post I'm posting right now, sort of like a state of the address or something, or like a supreme court opinion on adtrw. Anyway, onto the meat of the matter, I feel that alot of you are being too hard on Japan, the writing doesn't deserve the constant derision it receives because it's not terrible, it's just mediocre. If you're being too hard on shows for being just medocore then you're sort of going to be driving away our main clientele, which as a moderator is my top priority to protect. I know tokyo ghoul or tomo-chan or franxx or whatever is mediocre to all of you but people coming here from crunchyroll and reddit are not going to enjoy a wall of "It's terrible" if they're here to discuss their new favorite anime or manga. On the point of being too hard on japan, all of you know that japan has been through alot in the past century, and if satoshi kon's work is any indication into the goings on inside japan and specifically the anime industry, then japan was pretty much like a sea of porcupines before the 2011 tsunami. I see such a dramatic change in the soul of anime because of the tsunami and I feel that kill la kill was an embodiement of that change. Love hina was filled with hope and ambition and stayed focused around those themes well into negima, but now anime is so filled with anger, and I think all of you need to relax a little with the negativity towards what is an isolated island nation trying to reach out to the world just because you thought their writing was lackluster. They were just annilihated by the most powerful tsunami we've ever seen and there wasn't a country in the world 1/10th as prepared for tsunamis as japan was, and then a nuclear meltdown followed and it's like an infected wound in the soul of japan. There is hope in anime still, but it's a nation in mourning, and in recovery, so just take it easy. There doesn't need to be a massive ban storm for you guys to get the picture because I know how much smarter all of you are than the rest of the forums and as an aside if you hadn't realized it yet, I'm not going to be flinging insults at anyone, ever, it's not who I want to be.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

When the folks come over from Reddit and Crunchyroll put on your best customer service faces and let's really give it up for Japan and all anime! Who's with me?!

The replies are pretty good.

OneDeadman posted:

Sorry snail nothing personal, you're just not bringing in the redditors like you used to. *pumps shotgun*

Untrustable has a new favorite as of 09:32 on Aug 18, 2018

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Untrustable posted:

When the folks come over from Reddit and Crunchyroll put on your best customer service faces and let's really give it up for Japan and all anime! Who's with me?!

don't mention the tsunami

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

a dramatic change in the soul of anime

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

mf-in franklin! :whatup:

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Speaking of bizarre meltdowns over children's media that come out of nowhere:

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

This show seems to be written by people who revere the idea of adventure, but have absolutely no idea how to write or structure one. An adventure is that which is unexpected and undesired, and must be undergone to reach some goal. The show on the other hand features ducks who talk about adventures, how they want to go on adventures, how much their lives involve adventure, what great adventures have happened in the past, and what kind of adventure they’re having right now – and consequently never experience a real adventure, because that would imply a departure from normality.

The episode where they go to Atlantis makes for a great example because it can be directly compared with a story by Carl Barks, The Secret of Atlantis. This particular story also has the advantage in that it’s an ideal illustration of the relationship between the normal and the abnormal in Duckburg. The first half of the story sets up why the ducks go to Atlantis, but has nothing to do with Atlantis, and is instead set squarely in reality.

It’s a cartoon reality of talking animals, pie fights, and giant money bins, admittedly, but is also completely mundane in a way. It revolves around coin collecting, which one of the most banal things imaginable, and opens with a scene of accounting, which probably is the most banal thing imaginable. The story escalates through cartoon logic – Scrooge McDuck dumping all 1916 quarter coins into the sea save for one to artificially create a collector’s item – and enters the realm of comic fantasy when it gets into Atlantis.

There’s a lot of things you can say about the Atlantis sequence, because despite being very silly, there are nuances to it. You can note the satirical dimension in how even at the bottom of the sea you can’t escape American mass culture. And you can note Barks valorised exploration, but was evidently aware of the human costs of all those great discoveries, which is why there’s a note of seriousness that underlines a light-hearted story.

Or you might notice that this is one of those times when homo sapiens slip into a Duck comic, since Atlanteans were unambiguously humans before evolving gills, and not those weird dog-people that usually populate the place.

But what’s important for our purpose is that it’s as story about discovery that has its webbed feet planted firmly in its strange version of reality, best illustrated when Donald Duck is amazed by the sights of Atlantis while Scrooge couldn’t care less because he’s after his 1916 quarters.

The idea that Atlantis and mermen exist is enough to drive the sequence, and there’s minimal complications to this. Barks spends time explaining the origin of Atlantis and its inhabitants because those things are interesting on their own. There’s also a good moral, as the ducks’ escape hinges on Huey, Dewey, and Louie wanting to learn about history and culture, unlike the opportunistic adults.

And there’s weight to the ducks escaping. First because in this comic actions can have momentous consequences, like a fantastical civilization collapsing because of colonialism. Secondly, because they’re escaping into normality – a world where people live in an everyday society, where they have jobs and fiscal responsibilities, where children go to school and spend time as Boy Scouts. That probably doesn’t sound impressive, at least if you haven’t seen Jeff Smith use it as the foundations of a whole fantasy epic.

It’s the kind of reality that Ducktales (2017) seems to abhor and does it best to escape. The fact that monstrous mer-ducks exist is just a sight gag, when it seems like something Barks would have spent a whole story on. The show’s reality is so over-the-top that contrast between the everyday and the adventurous becomes impossible. One might make the argument that the show is trying to be faithful to the old cartoon than the comics, but from what little I recall, the original Ducktales didn’t have this problem either. It had a more conventional sense of “reality” and adventure, more in line with the comics. It’s simply strange to see the creators pay homage to Barks but also be hell-bent on not learn anything from him.

And by God, what have they done to Don Rosa's work :barf: :barf: :barf:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uwq5K-EK8Pc

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Marcade posted:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I love this dead gay forum.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Moon Slayer posted:

where's the meltdown?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
BotL is a treasure

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Moon Slayer posted:

I have never seen BotL post in any media thread where they actually seem to enjoy anything they view. What is this human thing you call "fun"?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I have never seen BotL post in any media thread where they actually seem to enjoy anything they view. What is this human thing you call "fun"?

Have you read the post? BotL likes old Duck Tales comics. Like, a lot.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I have read the post and thought that was a pretty interesting analysis of a Duck Tales comic.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Paladinus posted:

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Paladinus posted:

You think so? I don't see that so much as I see them being used as a club to attack the latest object of BotL's joyless trolling.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Oops.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

You think so? I don't see that so much as I see them being used as a club to attack the latest object of BotL's joyless trolling.

I do think so.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Lemniscate Blue posted:

No, he actually does like Ducktales

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Phlegmish posted:

I have read the post and thought that was a pretty interesting analysis of a Duck Tales comic.

Yeah that was a pretty cool and interesting read, thanks

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

Yeah, me too. If anything but the most cursory observation and the most unconditional praise is classified as a meltdown these days then bring on Chernobyl I guess.

e: kinda reminds me of youtube. "REACTION to Duck Tales! Goon has TOTAL MELTDOWN!"

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

My Lovely Horse posted:

Yeah, me too. If anything but the most cursory observation and the most unconditional praise is classified as a meltdown these days then bring on Chernobyl I guess.

e: kinda reminds me of youtube. "REACTION to Duck Tales! Goon has TOTAL MELTDOWN!"
There's always been a certain type of goon that sees someone typing >100 words on a subject and think they're having a meltdown, regardless of the actual post content.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

My Lovely Horse posted:

Here's the thing you have to understand about getting into any kind of discussion or argument with BoTL. It is literally that quote about the chess player.

This one, specifically;

quote:

A better analogy would be if someone walks into a championship tournament, says "GEE I THINK I MAY HAVE TRANSCENDED THE UNDERSTANDING OF SOME OF YOU GRANDMASTERS HERE, WANT TO JOIN MY NEW SCHOOL OF CHESS STRATEGY?", then loses by scholar's mate twice in the first round.

This person then refuses to leave his seat, claiming that he needs additional proof that the queen in f7 actually ontologically exists before he will admit defeat, and that the rules of the CHESS ESTABLISHMENT were unfairly biased against him by disallowing the possibility of his king being able to leapfrog pieces.

Then he pulls out an ancient shopping list from 1905 and claims that "1. Eggs" means 'The King', "2. Butter" means 'can', and "3. Milk" means 'leapfrog'. This is admissible evidence for his case because he has lived according to the dictates of this list since he was a teenager, and it has drastically improved his quality of life. When the referees tell him that this makes no loving sense, he drags them into a three hour debate over the precise meaning of the words 'makes', 'no', 'loving', and 'sense'.

When people point out that there is more than enough evidence to suggest his list is just a scrap of paper from some long-dead housewife's purse, he rather proudly points out how close-minded they are in dismissing outright the possibility that the list was in fact a secret coded message on the best way to live life, originally formulated by Atlanteans and passed down through the ages disguised as everyday documents. After all, if one starts with the presupposition that such a document exists, then it would be very fair to argue that it is indeed in the form of his shopping list.

Never mind that his previous interpretations of the list led to three convictions and time served for robbery, hate crimes, and murder. These were just unfortunate misinterpretations on his part of the list's true intentions, he says. The list itself is blameless. In fact, the Atlanteans deliberately obfuscated the true meaning of the list in this way, so that it would require multiple failed misinterpretations before one would happen across its TRUE meaning, and in doing so appreciate it all the more.

In fact, he does have some evidence to back up his claims. Why, just last week during his daily meditation on the list, he felt it telling him that something good was about to happen in his future. And yesterday, wouldn't you know it, he found a twenty dollar note on the sidewalk! Evidence of the list's prophetic powers if I ever saw one. And believe him, he has many more stories where that came from.

By now, the debate has splintered off into innumerable tangents, with the one man against literally every other player and referee present at the tournament. Finally, he graciously accepts the possibility of defeat in some of the myriad topics now being covered. OK, maybe the tallest player doesn't always get to go first. Fine, I will concede that there isn't much evidence to support my third-invisible-knight hypothesis. But that's all irrelevant. What he wants to concentrate on, and what nobody has yet been able to disprove, he adds, is the ability of the king to leapfrog over other pieces.

The argument drags on for weeks. Finally, one afternoon, the beet-faced referee exhausts his last reserves of decency and throws his arms up in frustration and despair. "YOU loving RETARD, HOW CAN YOU LAY CLAIM TO KNOWING ANYTHING ABOUT CHESS STRATEGY WHEN YOU DON'T EVEN GRASP THE MOST BASIC RULES!?" He shouts, just as a new entrant walks through the door. "I'm sorry," replies the man calmly, "I simply cannot discuss the rules of chess with such an 'official' if you insist on using such strong and uncouth language. Please retract your insults or I will be forced to plug my ears whenever you say anything from now on."

Seeing only this last exchange, the new entrant pipes up. "He's right, you know. If he did something wrong, then you as the referee have every right to tell him he is so, but it should be done with a patient and thorough explanation of the details of his error. Hurling ridicule at him solves nothing and won't change anyone's mind."

The lazy eye of the retarded List-following, King-leapfrogging man twitches almost unnoticeably, as he cranes his head towards the source of this new voice. A welcoming smile cracks, inch by beaming inch, across his face. He licks his lips. He clears his throat.

"So glad to know decent people like you still value a polite discussion. Care for a game?"

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

nice chess meltdown, that

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

When people point out that there is more than enough evidence to suggest his list is just a scrap of paper from some long-dead housewife's purse, he rather proudly points out how close-minded they are in dismissing outright the possibility that the list was in fact a secret coded message on the best way to live life, originally formulated by Atlanteans and passed down through the ages disguised as everyday documents. After all, if one starts with the presupposition that such a document exists, then it would be very fair to argue that it is indeed in the form of his shopping list.

Never mind that his previous interpretations of the list led to three convictions and time served for robbery, hate crimes, and murder. These were just unfortunate misinterpretations on his part of the list's true intentions, he says. The list itself is blameless. In fact, the Atlanteans deliberately obfuscated the true meaning of the list in this way, so that it would require multiple failed misinterpretations before one would happen across its TRUE meaning, and in doing so appreciate it all the more.

It all leads back to Atlantis...

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Whoever that is looks like the kind of dude who has lots of opinions about how many women there are in the new Star Wars movies.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'll readily grant you that the sign is pretty heavy-handed, but that's very roughly the equivalent of accusing Lawrence Kasdan of being overoponionated about Star Wars.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Funny given the new DuckTales has gone out of its way to reference the comics as much as possible, while also changing a lot of things.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

life is like a hurricane
here in
pee-yuff

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

There's always been a certain type of goon that sees someone typing >100 words on a subject and think they're having a meltdown, regardless of the actual post content.

whatever happened to calling that "effortposting"?

i like effortposts & that botl post was good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Which anime is this, by the way? Looks like an over-the-top dictator commanding an army of purple-haired teenagers