Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Trin Tragula posted:

Of course, when he gave the original concept his patronage at the Admiralty, Winston Churchill didn't know he was inventing tank destroyers as we know them now. His original concept was to make a gun with a mobile verandah so that artillery officers could get as close as possible to the feeling of Indian service while sitting in a muddy field in Flanders, but then natural evolution and ingenuity took over and we all know the rest of the story. Personally I can't help but think that tank destroyers as a concept would have been far more effective in actual combat situations if they'd met the original specification to carry a Nappi and a Punkah-wallah with the crew...

Lol but also what did Churchill accidentally invent irl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I do know that the name "tank destroyer" came about because the research team happened to come across another project team which was looking into ways of increasing the fuel capacities for oil-fired small warships; all they did was reverse the name and apply it to Winnie's motorised gin-palace for security reasons

that other project team was, of course, working on destroyer tanks

Zereth posted:

What's a Nappi in this context? Google is spitting out stuff about some kind of acronym which doesn't seem relevant.

A nappi was an Indian barber; it was not unheard of for British soldiers (yes, not just the hofficers, the men as well) in the Raj to be shaved in bed every morning.

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Aug 18, 2018

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Nebakenezzer posted:

It sounds more like a Leopard 1

All the sensors and firepower of a MBT, none of the protection

It turned out the fancy anti-missile force field (red spotlights) on the T-90 don't work, so doctrine is back to "don't get shot."

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Actually modern tank destroyers should really be called tank cruisers

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Nebakenezzer posted:

This isn't the first time MBT guns have gone on troop transport vehicles.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Geisladisk posted:

The "Clean Tanks" theory, which holds that almost all destroyed tanks were destroyed by tank destroyers and that tanks actually rarely if ever destroyed tanks, has repeatedly been debunked.

Not according to my favorite military history YouTuber, 88888888HeilHitler88888888

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Nebakenezzer posted:

Wouldn't something like the Wiesel TOW Carrier--for that matter, every IFV, armored car, and jeep with ATGMs attached--be tank destroyers in all but name?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Trin Tragula posted:

A nappi was an Indian barber; it was not unheard of for British soldiers (yes, not just the hofficers, the men as well) in the Raj to be shaved in bed every morning.

I didn’t know I wanted this but I do very badly.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Now I'm wondering what happened in the other time line where Harry Turtledove wrote an alt-history novel where Donald J Trump becomes president. Maybe the less ludicrous one where Alien Space Lizards invade in the middle of WW2.

From what I recall, he didn't discuss Tank Destroyers much,

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Tank Destroyers were originally developed as a way to skirt the naval treaty restrictions. The idea was that a row of tank destroyers could be parked on the deck of a ship to increase it's firepower beyond permitted levels. It was only as a desperation move that they began to be fielded on land.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Comstar posted:

Now I'm wondering what happened in the other time line where Harry Turtledove wrote an alt-history novel where Donald J Trump becomes president. Maybe the less ludicrous one where Alien Space Lizards invade in the middle of WW2.

From what I recall, he didn't discuss Tank Destroyers much,

I have no doubt he has strong opinions based on who his more chill characters tend to be.

Anyways, Harry Turtledove I know mentioned some sort of StuG analog that the Confederates used in his Civil War timeline books. The Alien Lizards series only mentioned the Big Cats by name or the long barreled Panzer IV's.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
Plato’s description of the tank destroyer matches closely to illustrations of tank destroyers found in modern-day Bolivia.

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010
The tank destroyer is always harder for the bear.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

echopapa posted:

Plato’s description of the tank destroyer matches closely to illustrations of tank destroyers found in modern-day Bolivia.

Half-buried gun barrels on the coast of Oregon bear Chinese proof marks and metallurgical testing has determined they were likely forged with their tank destroyer hulls around the start of the 15th century and are believed to be part of Zheng He's expeditionary armor regiment.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There was a tank destroyer that was adopted by a polish artillery unit. It mostly just helped carry artillery shells, and the soldiers gave it lots of beer and cigarettes, but it wound up being made a corporal.

It's gone on to become the most popular factoid about the polish military.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Tank destroyers cause autism.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

You guys aren’t careful you’re gonna gently caress around too much and a sincere discussion of tank destoyer doctrine is gonna break out

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

zoux posted:

You guys aren’t careful you’re gonna gently caress around too much and a sincere discussion of tank destoyer doctrine is gonna break out

There's no such thing.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Sincere tank destroyer chat died in the Great Tank Destroyer Wars of 2014, there's no way that anyone would still think it's anything but fodder for dumb milhist thread injokes

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Greggster posted:

The tank destroyer is always harder for the bear.

nice

Skanky Burns
Jan 9, 2009
Quintili Vare, give me back my tank destroyers!

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
historical footage of a soldier using tank destroyer doctrine to fend off the kraut hordes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWIcVfl5g60

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Instead of tanks, the US army could equip fast, airmobile M113 APCs with ATGMs and then rush them to contain any armored breakthrough. These brigades of "JadgGavins" can replace tanks

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Alas! Poor Marder, thought of transmission fluid and died

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

In an almost ritual-like manufacturing process, Tank Destroyers are built using steel folded thousands of times by master TD-forgers who spend a lifetime honing their craft. Each one is unique.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
"Lay on, MacDuff, and damned be the man who cries "hold, I'v had a tank destroyer!""

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
I think what I found most interesting was the story about the guy who was sent to Europe to determine how to develop armour plating on tank destroyers. As they returned from missions most people would look at where they had bullet and panzer faust holes and armour those more, but he realized that the ones who were attacked in other parts of the plating never made it home so he started armoring those parts more heavily and survival rates increased. A lot of tank destroyers crews made it back from tank destroying runs thanks to him

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Can this cockpit hold
The hedged fields of France? Or may we cram
Within this metal O the very shells
That did affright the air at Normandy?
O, pardon! since a crooked mechanic may
Attest in little place a million;
And let us, ciphers to this great accompt,
On your imaginary forces work.
Suppose within the girdle of these chassis
Are now confin'd two mighty engines,
Whose high upreared and abutting guns
The perilous narrow road parts asunder;
Piece out our imperfections with your thoughts:
Into a thousand parts divide one loader,
And make imaginary puissance;
Think, when we talk of tank destroyers, that you see them
Printing their proud tracks i' the receiving earth.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Gallia est omnis divisa in partes tres, quorum unam incolunt Belgae, aliam Aquitani, tertiam qui ipsorum lingua destructores covinorum, nostra cannones autopropellens appellantur

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Quintili vare, tank destroyers redde.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
C’est magnifique, mais ce n’est pas le chasseur de chars

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Tevery Best posted:

Gallia est omnis divisa in partes tres, quorum unam incolunt Belgae, aliam Aquitani, tertiam qui ipsorum lingua destructores covinorum, nostra cannones autopropellens appellantur

Gaul is entirely occupied by the Romans. Well, not entirely. One small village of indomitable tank destroyers, in Armorica...

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Trin Tragula posted:

Think, when we talk of tank destroyers, that you see them
Printing their proud tracks i' the receiving earth.
this part's the good part

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Cato posted:

Cisternina delenda est

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Slightly off topic but goddamn I was enjoying the movie Flyboys until for some reason one of the writers decided 'you know what, lets put an evil pre-Nazi German in it' for reasons? now it seems weirdly comical. I keep expecting the Nazi Baron guy to just grow fangs and start firing babies at them from his plane.

Movie needs a tank destroyer scene or something to invest me again.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

The panzer in feldgrau fled across the desert, and the tank destroyer followed.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

zoux posted:

This is why you have an extra army or two of tank destroyer destroyers to reinforce the encirclement.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
This thread must be confusing as hell to any recent visitors now.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
love 2 read different latin words for tank

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
The etymology of the word tank is Indian, which surprised me when I was researching that.