Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

movax posted:

Looking at the Queen3 as a side-sleeper (5’10”, 170lb), added it to cart but didn’t put in an e-mail or anything; where do they send the code?

e: I went through checkout all the way up to billing (put in my email). Let’s see if it shows up in a day or so.

A lot of online stores will do that to convert people they think were going to buy but got second thoughts.

The e-commerce side of my company will do that if we get full quotes in our system with email addresses. They will contact the guest, offer absurd discounts that are nearly below cost (as they get paid differently than actual sales staff), and completely gently caress the person who did all the work in the store.

It takes ~3 days before our online vultures strike, so probably about that long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Synastren posted:

A lot of online stores will do that to convert people they think were going to buy but got second thoughts.

The e-commerce side of my company will do that if we get full quotes in our system with email addresses. They will contact the guest, offer absurd discounts that are nearly below cost (as they get paid differently than actual sales staff), and completely gently caress the person who did all the work in the store.

It takes ~3 days before our online vultures strike, so probably about that long.

So far I just have a cutesy email saying “oh man, we’ll feed your cart to Sasquatch if you’re not back in 24h!”. A bit silly to wait for $50 but hey, $50 is $50.

I wonder if I could just message their Twitter and tell them “hey if you send me a promo code right now I will literally hit buy instead of waiting two days”.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

movax posted:

So far I just have a cutesy email saying “oh man, we’ll feed your cart to Sasquatch if you’re not back in 24h!”. A bit silly to wait for $50 but hey, $50 is $50.

I wonder if I could just message their Twitter and tell them “hey if you send me a promo code right now I will literally hit buy instead of waiting two days”.

You'll probably get a 50/50 shot of them caving in and giving you a discount, or them telling you to gently caress off. They run the risk of making it the norm for their customers to hold out for a few days, expecting a discount, if they cave to you publicly.

Memorial Day is one of the biggest mattress sales days of the year, so it may be pushed back more than usual in this particular part of the year, honestly.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
I didn't think to check SA while doing my research, but I just ordered a Brooklyn Bedding Signature (full, medium) for $670-ish with their memorial day coupon. I spent about two weeks deciding between the Tuft and Needle and 100 others (including a local factory that I'm going to feel guilty about not buying from) before saying gently caress it and going with the Brooklyn. It seemed like the best value after I decided I didn't want something that was just straight foam. I feel like I know less about mattresses now than when I started researching them, though. If anyone is interested I can report back once it arrives and I've slept on it a bit.

On a related subject, are the Zinus SmartBase frames/platform beds any good? I'm looking at the 18" one, but I'm thinking I might be better off taking a drive to Ikea and picking up a cheap bed there

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Synastren posted:

Your slats need to be closer than 3" apart (maybe 2" for purple) to be considered a platform base.

Any foundation is required to provide even support to the mattress. Lots of vendors will handwave how their foundation is specially made for their mattresses (Beautyrest's foundation is legit impressive for what it's worth) to provide support, but they will use a different brand's foundation to evade a warranty claim. In other words, if they can blame someone else's product for their mattress failing, they totally will. Platform bases (including adjustables) are unique in that they are universally accepted as A-OK for providing support.

Now, Purple has their own platform base, so they might be squirrelly about foundations. I don't have specific insight into their product and warranty; sorry.

I ended up ordering a Leesa - hopefully arriving tomorrow! I think the existing foundation (Ikea Sultan Aram) I have has slats closer to 4-5in apart, might have to measure again to be sure, but it certainly seemed more then 2-3. Should I look into getting something with a higher slat count if I want to make sure the mattress lives long? It looks like Leesa has a foundation but it's not offered on the canadian site, and I can't tell what sort of slat spacing they have through the US page.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Stevie Lee posted:

I didn't think to check SA while doing my research, but I just ordered a Brooklyn Bedding Signature (full, medium) for $670-ish with their memorial day coupon. I spent about two weeks deciding between the Tuft and Needle and 100 others (including a local factory that I'm going to feel guilty about not buying from) before saying gently caress it and going with the Brooklyn. It seemed like the best value after I decided I didn't want something that was just straight foam. I feel like I know less about mattresses now than when I started researching them, though. If anyone is interested I can report back once it arrives and I've slept on it a bit.

On a related subject, are the Zinus SmartBase frames/platform beds any good? I'm looking at the 18" one, but I'm thinking I might be better off taking a drive to Ikea and picking up a cheap bed there

I just set up a Zinus frame but have not slept on it yet. Was easybto set up, just unfold and two bolts. Probably fine for someone our sizes (skinny 5'7" and 5') but I don't know if it would work for a gigantor without a boxspring.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Dillbag posted:

I just set up a Zinus frame but have not slept on it yet. Was easybto set up, just unfold and two bolts. Probably fine for someone our sizes (skinny 5'7" and 5') but I don't know if it would work for a gigantor without a boxspring.

let me know if it breaks tonight

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Stevie Lee posted:

let me know if it breaks tonight

Won't be trying it and the Zinus green tea 12" mattress until Sunday when I get back to the new apartment.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Synastren posted:

You'll probably get a 50/50 shot of them caving in and giving you a discount, or them telling you to gently caress off. They run the risk of making it the norm for their customers to hold out for a few days, expecting a discount, if they cave to you publicly.

Memorial Day is one of the biggest mattress sales days of the year, so it may be pushed back more than usual in this particular part of the year, honestly.

I got the Purple 3 Queen! Two nights so far and I have not slept better in quite awhile; granted, I have been on my couch for the week prior and was traveling for six weeks before that, but it is comfy. Don't know if it makes a difference, but I let it mattress after unpacking for at least a full day before sleeping on it. Got their mattress protector as well. Setup was as others describe a very generous term to describe user involvement.

It is far more firm than I was expecting, but I guess I am used to pretty soft / old mattresses. Seems to work fine for me as a side sleeper though, wish there was a place in-town to try out Purple 4 and see how that feels.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Stevie Lee posted:

The Zinus SmartBase frames were the SweetHome recommended frames until they were discontinued.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Stevie Lee posted:

I generally try to stay out of online bed conversations, but there are two specific vendors I'll say to steer clear of:
Tuft & Needle (their poo poo is expensive for how low quality their components are, and I have serious concerns about their durability)
Casper (the company is/was crooked as poo poo, see previously linked investigative journalism)

Zinus' platform frames are highly regarded. Platform frames can be surprisingly durable despite appearances if they are metal. Ours supposedly support 1200 lbs per frame (though I wouldn't personally suggest more than 900 lbs), including mattress. In queen size or larger, that translates to 2400 lbs for the whole thing, if evenly distributed. No idea about how good they are at concentrated weight or sudden impacts, though.

Oxyclean posted:

I ended up ordering a Leesa - hopefully arriving tomorrow! I think the existing foundation (Ikea Sultan Aram) I have has slats closer to 4-5in apart, might have to measure again to be sure, but it certainly seemed more then 2-3. Should I look into getting something with a higher slat count if I want to make sure the mattress lives long? It looks like Leesa has a foundation but it's not offered on the canadian site, and I can't tell what sort of slat spacing they have through the US page.

Just get a half inch thick layer of MFD or plywood and staple some fabric on it to protect your mattress from the wood. Place board on slats. Done. Alternatively, you can purchase something called a "bunkie board," which generally is about 2 inches tall and will run you somewhere around $50 - $60 for a queen size.

movax posted:

I got the Purple 3 Queen! Two nights so far and I have not slept better in quite awhile; granted, I have been on my couch for the week prior and was traveling for six weeks before that, but it is comfy. Don't know if it makes a difference, but I let it mattress after unpacking for at least a full day before sleeping on it. Got their mattress protector as well. Setup was as others describe a very generous term to describe user involvement.

It is far more firm than I was expecting, but I guess I am used to pretty soft / old mattresses. Seems to work fine for me as a side sleeper though, wish there was a place in-town to try out Purple 4 and see how that feels.

Reports I've heard suggest that the Purple polymer is even more weight sensitive than lots of foam. I haven't had enough information to verify, and I have no idea what their break-in process is like. I'd be intensely interested in your experiences, though!

Purple3 is a hybrid, isn't it?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Synastren posted:

Reports I've heard suggest that the Purple polymer is even more weight sensitive than lots of foam. I haven't had enough information to verify, and I have no idea what their break-in process is like. I'd be intensely interested in your experiences, though!

Purple3 is a hybrid, isn't it?

What do you mean by weight sensitive, as in the perception / feeling / performance varies based on mass on the mattress? I’m a single 77kg (as of today, thanks smart scale :hambeast:) sleeper as of now. Also, mattress is currently flat on the floor whilst I shop for a snazzy bed frame with under-bed storage.

And yeah, it’s a hybrid if you mean combining springs with their new-fangled science.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

movax posted:

What do you mean by weight sensitive, as in the perception / feeling / performance varies based on mass on the mattress? I’m a single 77kg (as of today, thanks smart scale :hambeast:) sleeper as of now. Also, mattress is currently flat on the floor whilst I shop for a snazzy bed frame with under-bed storage.

And yeah, it’s a hybrid if you mean combining springs with their new-fangled science.

Weight sensitive meaning it will feel different based on the weight of the occupant. Generally, heavier people subjectively feel things as softer, as bedding yields under more weight more readily. Coil based mattresses are generally less weight sensitive than all foam products, given that thicker coils provide a more uniform level of resistance. Again, this is all subjective feeling, but it's relevant to when I work with couples to fit them to the right mattress, so... here you go. :shrug:

170 lbs (assuming you're more than 5'5" aka 165ish unAmerican units) places you more on the not-very-heavy side. As such, I'd expect a relatively high level of firmness with regards to weight sensitive products.

Hybrids traditionally refer to some sort of "memory foam on top of coil" construction, but Purple's polymer kinda fucks everything up with regards to terminology. I probably should have specified "innerspring" rather than used something a bit more jargony and also imprecise. It's late. :v:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Synastren posted:

Just get a half inch thick layer of MFD or plywood and staple some fabric on it to protect your mattress from the wood. Place board on slats. Done. Alternatively, you can purchase something called a "bunkie board," which generally is about 2 inches tall and will run you somewhere around $50 - $60 for a queen size.

So is the idea just to better support/distribute the weight? How bad would it be for the mattress to forgo this with a slat spacing of 5-6 inches? Can't say I've had much luck finding a bunkie board in that price range at local retailers, might just need to broaden my search.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jun 7, 2018

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I'm looking for a queen sized foam mattress for me and the girlfriend. Thing that I'm wondering is, how do memory foam mattresses hold up to bodily emissions? She's a night sweater, and our sex tends to produce a whole lot of liquids.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Oxyclean posted:

So is the idea just to better support/distribute the weight? How bad would it be for the mattress to forgo this with a slat spacing of 5-6 inches? Can't say I've had much luck finding a bunkie board in that price range at local retailers, might just need to broaden my search.

Aside from killing any shot you'd have at a warranty claim, you're likely going to shorten the life of the mattress if you stick with a 5+ inch gap in the mattress's support. But essentially, yes, the bunkie/platform/foundation serves to provide an even layer of support to the mattress.

My Imaginary GF posted:

I'm looking for a queen sized foam mattress for me and the girlfriend. Thing that I'm wondering is, how do memory foam mattresses hold up to bodily emissions? She's a night sweater, and our sex tends to produce a whole lot of liquids.

Get a mattress protector. They're waterproof, work on any mattress, don't make noise, etc.

If you pay less than $40 for the protector, you're getting garbage, though.

Otherwise, foam holds up as well or better than an innerspring mattress at a comparable pricepoint, assuming you get a foam dense enough for the weight of the occupants. Then again, the same is kinda true of innersprings, but I feel it more necessary to specify here. :shrug:

Phraggah
Nov 11, 2011

A rocket fuel made of Doritos? Yeah, I could kind of see it.
I am a 90% side sleeper between 150-170 lbs and I am lost with these millions of options. Reading that mattress underground site is very :words: but at least I think I kind of understand the differences between constructions and combinations? Just not which I should be looking for.

Where are people looking for all these different combinations? Just typing word salads into Amazon?

Recs would be much appreciated for high end queens or mid kings?? $1500 maybe? Less than 2000 if it was amazing... so no purple4 for me I guess.

mad_Thick
Aug 4, 2014
I bought a Tuft and Needle a few years ago. Amazing mattress. Never had a complaint about it.

Since my job didn't approve relocation expense, I bought another Tuft and Needle for my place. After sleeping on a regular mattress, it is like sleeping on a cloud. I also bought a Zinus fold out frame that is 17in high off the ground, which is great since my puppy loves to sleep under my bed.

I wouldn't mess with a Zinus mattress though. Some of them have fiberglass inside of them. Even if it is in the very center, I'm not going to risk sleep on fiberglass.

mad_Thick fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jun 12, 2018

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Six months in on the pair of twin Tuft and Needles pushed together as a king. Still great with no issues. At this point you could throw me like a rag doll at it and any position I hit with I could fall asleep in.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

My T&N hits the 2 year mark next month and still feels like new, not a soft spot to be found.

Lots of slats or a platform are a must though, I've got mine on poplar 1x2's spaced 4" on center.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007
Any opinions on Helix mattresses? My wife likes the idea of having a firmness option before ordering since she’s worried beds like Casper might be too soft. I’m looking at them and Purple (original model). We have a Sleep Number c2 right now and whichever we like least will end up as the guest bed.

She’s a back sleeper and I’m a side sleeper if that matters.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Sacred Cow posted:

Any opinions on Helix mattresses? My wife likes the idea of having a firmness option before ordering since she’s worried beds like Casper might be too soft. I’m looking at them and Purple (original model). We have a Sleep Number c2 right now and whichever we like least will end up as the guest bed.

She’s a back sleeper and I’m a side sleeper if that matters.

You really should try beds like them to give some context. Most beds in a box tend towards fairly firm, but ymmv.

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

Does anyone have any experience with the Hjellestad from Ikea? I'm a side sleeper and find most beds too firm - I often wake up with tingling or numb arms etc. I saw a review site for Ikea beds that suggested this one is good for side sleepers. I'm looking at Ikea as we are moving from furnished to unfurnished so need one we can get delivered on a specific day so we actually have something to sleep on...

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
Does anyone make box springs divided into 3 or more sections for a queen size mattress? My new apartment has an entrance and stairs designed by an idiot, nothing fits.

The only split ones I see for sale are all split down the center (two 30"x80"s) which would still not work unless I sawed the center of each of those apart and folded both of them myself, which I may just end up doing.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Roumba posted:

Does anyone make box springs divided into 3 or more sections for a queen size mattress? My new apartment has an entrance and stairs designed by an idiot, nothing fits.

The only split ones I see for sale are all split down the center (two 30"x80"s) which would still not work unless I sawed the center of each of those apart and folded both of them myself, which I may just end up doing.

Have you considered just using a frame instead of a box spring?

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
There would be a 5-6" vertical gap between the headboard and the top of the mattress.

With just the bare frame under it, it feels pretty saggy in the places between the cross braces, like a nice-but-old couch. Would a sheet of plywood or something across the bottom stiffen it up enough?

E: It looks like there are some that come in a box and you have to assemble them. This looks promising.

Roumba fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jul 17, 2018

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Roumba posted:

How on earth did you get any other furniture through there if half of a queen size box spring won't fit? Even with a hard u turn it seems like it would be possible. Sorry but now I'm more curious about the entrance than anything else.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE
Just moved from an original c1 full size Select Comfort to a king size Nectar foam mattress.
6'0" - 180lbs.

So far about 4 nights into sleeping on it...it's quite a bit firmer than the SC, but that firmness is well supported and doesn't have singular pressure points that were keeping me up like on the SC. Days around here have been in the low/mid 80s with humidity and so far it hasn't felt hot (though I do sleep with a fan on).

Nectar was pretty easy to setup and I did it all solo, never really got any strong off-gassing smell except for the first hour or two it was out of the bag. They even include a little mail opener in the package to slice open the bags without cutting into the mattress which I thought was a nice little thought.

I was originally considering a Purple, but this Nectar was only like $900 or so including two pillows, sheets, and protector as compared to the $1600 or so I would have paid for a Purple. Still need to buy a base yet so that cost will go up a bit but still trying to track down a good option for a king size frame with drawers and headboard that doesn't cost and arm and a leg.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Shooting Blanks posted:

How on earth did you get any other furniture through there if half of a queen size box spring won't fit? Even with a hard u turn it seems like it would be possible. Sorry but now I'm more curious about the entrance than anything else.
This is probably a digression, but older housing stock has a lot of weird poo poo going on, like Philadelphia's trinity houses. Roumba, I think there are a pretty good number of trinity owners, so even if you're in a different setup, you could look at their solutions to similar issues.

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Hey guys, I'm in my twenties, 5'11, 145lbs (good looking) gf is same but closer to 110lbs (not bad looking)

Been sleeping on the same full-size mattress I've had since before I moved out and feel like it's time to get an upgrade. I'd like to move up to a Queen, but due to my tiny living space, moving a bed in a box into my room would mean whatever I bring home will probably never come back out of the room I put it in (the full barely made it around the stairs).

Because of our body types and the fact that this mattress may not come with me when I leave, I was wondering if I could get some input. Based on what I've read in this thread, I'm probably only going to be happy with something that's very soft. I've seen a lot of reoccurring brands come up in this thread, but so far I'm writing off T&N as probably too firm, giving Caspr a pass, and I'm not completely sold on Purple unless I gained another 80 pounds and needed some extra cushion for my cushion.

I know comparing brands firmness ratings can be apples to oranges, but I found this guy on Amazon for a good price, individually encased coils (which sounds good) and good reviews if they're not all shillbots. LINENSPA 12 Inch Gel Hybrid Mattress

Alternatively, what's the best biab for skinny people that sleep on their sides and is under a grand?

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

Hey guys, I'm in my twenties, 5'11, 145lbs (good looking) gf is same but closer to 110lbs (not bad looking)

Been sleeping on the same full-size mattress I've had since before I moved out and feel like it's time to get an upgrade. I'd like to move up to a Queen, but due to my tiny living space, moving a bed in a box into my room would mean whatever I bring home will probably never come back out of the room I put it in (the full barely made it around the stairs).

Because of our body types and the fact that this mattress may not come with me when I leave, I was wondering if I could get some input. Based on what I've read in this thread, I'm probably only going to be happy with something that's very soft. I've seen a lot of reoccurring brands come up in this thread, but so far I'm writing off T&N as probably too firm, giving Caspr a pass, and I'm not completely sold on Purple unless I gained another 80 pounds and needed some extra cushion for my cushion.

I know comparing brands firmness ratings can be apples to oranges, but I found this guy on Amazon for a good price, individually encased coils (which sounds good) and good reviews if they're not all shillbots. LINENSPA 12 Inch Gel Hybrid Mattress

Alternatively, what's the best biab for skinny people that sleep on their sides and is under a grand?

Honestly, I'd recommend considering why you want to get a larger bed.

Queen is ~6 inches wider and ~5 inches longer. There are split queen boxes you can purchase which allow you to get those in and out of tight spaces (if that's an issue). There is also a special order size that we rarely deal with that is "full xl." Just like a twin XL, it is the same length as a queen/king, so you get your extra length, but it maintains the width of the size.

Specific to beds in a box, I'd be super leery of any biabs that have coils. Those things are super compressed, which puts more stress on a coil than foam. I've tried some Sealy hybrid biabs that retail for ~$500 and they were ultra firm and I found them to be... very bad. Subjectively, I know, but I couldn't in good conscious suggest that bed to someone for $500. I have no problem recommending folks products that my store doesn't carry, if I know they're decent products, and I have nothing comparable... but those things do not hit my criteria.

Alternatively, you can PM me and I can give specific suggestions. I try to avoid doing that in here, so I can tell myself I'm not shilling. :v:

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

I have no idea what the gently caress is going on, but an ad for Purple came up on my Facebook stream a free days ago, and it was hired out to Tim & Eric. They apparently made a 6 video series in their signature "style": http://purple.com/purple-boys

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i just read this whole loving thread and i have no idea what the gently caress to buy, but i'm sure as gently caress trusting zero review sites. we're having a house built and we need a new mattress.

i'm 6'1, 210 and i'll sleep on what the gently caress ever, for real i haven't slept on a proper mattress in three years. in our old home we had a hard-as-gently caress queen i had bought as a bachelor that i liked but my wife always hated

my wife is 5'6 and like 150, sleeps on her side

can i buy something from the internet or do i need to go do a drat mattress store, also known as the third circle of hell

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
I'm pretty satisfied with my queen sized Saatva. Works for me when I'm sleeping on either my back, side, or stomach. Went with the luxury firm softness and it's got the right amount of give.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Careful Drums posted:

i just read this whole loving thread and i have no idea what the gently caress to buy, but i'm sure as gently caress trusting zero review sites. we're having a house built and we need a new mattress.

i'm 6'1, 210 and i'll sleep on what the gently caress ever, for real i haven't slept on a proper mattress in three years. in our old home we had a hard-as-gently caress queen i had bought as a bachelor that i liked but my wife always hated

can i buy something from the internet or do i need to go do a drat mattress store, also known as the third circle of hell

Advise a mattress store, easier to deal with post-purchase. More of a pain in the rear end than ordering something online in your underwear though.

You folks would likely gravitate towards some sort of medium something-or-other. Look at a softer all foam, a plush innerspring, or a firm pillowtop/luxury firm hybrid.

Be aware that she will likely feel the same things are harder than you do, given the weight difference. And if you don't give a gently caress about the mattress, let her pick anything that doesn't hurt you.

I should probably throw up some tips on how to make an in-store experience as painless as possible. I'll draft something up after work, maybe.

Hot tip: If you go into a store and the person working doesn't try to find out any sleep issues to uncover, they suck, and are just working sales. If they make an honest attempt to find out sleep issues, they're actually trying to help and are likely worth the benefit of a doubt.

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

Careful Drums posted:

My husband will sleep on anything and I'm a side sleeper who found our last bed really hard and uncomfortable. We just bought an Ikea Hjellestad which is a pocketspring mattress with a pillowtop memory foam layer on top. It's super comfortable (classed as 'medium firm' I think) and although my husband doesn't mind firm mattresses he loves this one too. It is really tall so you have to buy sheets with a really deep pocket to fit over it and it can end up super high depending on what base/frame you have.

My main problem now is finding pillows that don't give me neck/shoulder pain. I tried a memory foam firm one which is meant to be good for side sleepers but it was horrible and has hosed up my shoulder somehow.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Robot Mil posted:

My main problem now is finding pillows that don't give me neck/shoulder pain. I tried a memory foam firm one which is meant to be good for side sleepers but it was horrible and has hosed up my shoulder somehow.

You should look into pillows that keep your neck mostly straight when you're on your side. Just because some guy on the internet (or in a marketing firm) says a pillow is good for side sleepers does not mean it's going to work for you. Pillows are generally nonreturnable, but if you find an option that lets you try something fairly risk free, go nuts. I'm not sure if Ikea sells pillows in store so you can try it on your actual bed, but that's the best way to go about it.

But if your pillow is less than ~$30, it's probably kinda bad in general.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I'm thinking about picking up a queen tuft and needle (esp. since all the thousands of different brands out there seem pretty similar apart from a few niche technologies), but is it worth waiting a few weeks for labor day sales? Going to be moving into a new place soonish but I have an air matress that I can use for now, so waiting a week or two is doable.

Was also thinking about the purple mattress but I dunno if it's worth twice the price (~230 pounds thanks dissertation! and normally a side sleeper if that matters too much).

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Dr. Despair posted:

I'm thinking about picking up a queen tuft and needle (esp. since all the thousands of different brands out there seem pretty similar apart from a few niche technologies), but is it worth waiting a few weeks for labor day sales? Going to be moving into a new place soonish but I have an air matress that I can use for now, so waiting a week or two is doable.

Was also thinking about the purple mattress but I dunno if it's worth twice the price (~230 pounds thanks dissertation! and normally a side sleeper if that matters too much).

Tuft & Needle is overpriced for how it actually is built. That might change with Serta-Simmons acquiring them, but that won't take effect until much after labor day.

Most Labor Day sales are active already, so if you see something you like, go nuts!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
It sounds like a lot of you end up putting a foam topper on their mattresses regardless of what you end up getting. My current mattress isn't the most comfortable. It's an old spring pillow top I have on the floor. Can I just get a quality 3.5lb foam topper for it and just lay it on top and it will feel okay? I don't want weird lumps or dips

Edit: also how much should I dish out on a topper? All the best reviewed ones on Amazon are under 200, should I be looking for more expensive toppers or a material other than foam? (145lbs, 5"11', side and back sleeper)

Jesustheastronaut! fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Aug 24, 2018