Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar

Randler posted:

Is there a reliable estimate on how weight loss affects shoe sizes? I need to buy new dress shoes (and want to buy new boots) and it would royally suck if I spend for quality and then those shoes won't fit in half a year or so.

Are your feet fat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Spermanent Record posted:

Are your feet fat?

Fat people's feet swell you know.

meet girls at the store
Nov 4, 2002

Randler posted:

Is there a reliable estimate on how weight loss affects shoe sizes? I need to buy new dress shoes (and want to buy new boots) and it would royally suck if I spend for quality and then those shoes won't fit in half a year or so.

When I lost a bunch of weight my feet got slightly smaller in width and height, but not length. So I had to re-tie a bunch of my sneakers to make them a bit tighter, but my overall shoe size didn’t change. Your skeleton is still going to be the same size it always was.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy
I've hit 223, saw 226 this week and got worried, but I just kept doing what I'm doing, gettin' my salads with the black beans and tuna, had roughly a beer a night but just didn't eat as much by getting engrossed in other things, now yesterday morning and this morning I have been in the 223 frame. Started at 238 lbs in June. Slow progress allows me to gently and consistently apply the pressure release valve for when I'm caught up in stress and circumstance, while not totally flying off the handle. 200 calorie surplus instead of binging for 800.

Had grapes and protein drink for breakfast today before my kung fu class. Remembering that some people in the world eat one raw food for 95% of their diet helps me do that without getting paranoid about it. Chewing down a bunch of spinach right out the bag is always an option. In college I used to dump thousand island in the bag and shake it up. So dumb. Now I just eat it raw or sautee it for a curry or with mushrooms. I guess I'm thankful that I like spinach so much. It just looks perfect to the point of being more basic than lettuce, yet lettuce is the basic one in popular culture.

Stinky_Pete fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Aug 18, 2018

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

Randler posted:

The only thing that changes your shoe size is thru hiking.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Stinky_Pete posted:

I've hit 223, saw 226 this week and got worried, but I just kept doing what I'm doing, gettin' my salads with the black beans and tuna, had roughly a beer a night but just didn't eat as much by getting engrossed in other things, now yesterday morning and this morning I have been in the 223 frame. Started at 238 lbs in June. Slow progress allows me to gently and consistently apply the pressure release valve for when I'm caught up in stress and circumstance, while not totally flying off the handle. 200 calorie surplus instead of binging for 800.

Had grapes and protein drink for breakfast today before my kung fu class. Remembering that some people in the world eat one raw food for 95% of their diet helps me do that without getting paranoid about it. Chewing down a bunch of spinach right out the bag is always an option. In college I used to dump thousand island in the bag and shake it up. So dumb. Now I just eat it raw or sautee it for a curry or with mushrooms. I guess I'm thankful that I like spinach so much. It just looks perfect to the point of being more basic than lettuce, yet lettuce is the basic one in popular culture.

spinach + cottage cheese makes for one helluva snack.
if you want, a bit of olive oil and a dash of salt and pepper (or soy sauce) doesnt hurt either.

also "corn salad" or "lamb´s lettuce" as dict.cc informs me is the english name, is an excellent choice if you want something besides spinach every now and then.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

A great way to eat greens and raw foods is to make smoothies out of them. I’ve been dumping my extra greens into my smoothies to eliminate waste, increase smoothie volume, and I haven’t been really effecting the taste in a meaningful way.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

My favorite smoothie is two handfuls of spinach, almond milk, a banana and frozen pineapple. Yum.

--

My goal was to lose 10 pounds this summer. I'm at 6.8 with two weeks more to go! Doable, but I have to drink less beer than usual.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

You guys keep talking about raw spinach, which is no doubt good. You get some folate, vitamin C, niacin, riboflavin, some potassium. Cooked though, you break that dark greens down and get more access to vitamin A, vitamin E, vitamin B1, protein, fiber, zinc, calcium, iron. Facts vegans hate #1825: our bodies can't break down the cell walls of many green plant matter effectively which is why we need to essentially put it in a partially digested form via cooking in order to access it. Meaning without technology (fire) we cannot naturally access those vital nutrients. So to say we are natural herbivores, eh. Dunno about that.

Yeah, cooked spinach is sorta gross because it can get slimy. That's why you chop that up finely before tossing it in the stir fry or whatever. It will cling to whatever you mix it in while it cooks and the pieces are small enough that the feeling of it being slimy or however you describe it is not there in the end product. That's how I most commonly use it these days but there's nothing wrong with a spinach salad at all, so don't stop with that. I like to use spinach when I make this salad: https://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2016/07/grilled-shrimp-louie-dressing-up-classic.html and it works wonderfully with it.

Scrotum Modem fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Aug 19, 2018

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

I shove raw spinach up my rear end I find it the best way to absorb the vitamins necessary for my busy lifestyle. Every body is different :)

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
I was sticking to a pretty great diet for a couple weeks which is unusual for me, I've been historically terrible at sticking to diets. But then I had a nasty loving week at work and I always go straight to beer and bad food. How do you guys handle those times?

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Joe Mama Poonana posted:

You guys keep talking about raw spinach, which is no doubt good. You get some folate, vitamin C, niacin, riboflavin, some potassium. Cooked though, you break that dark greens down and get more access to vitamin A, vitamin E, vitamin B1, protein, fiber, zinc, calcium, iron. Facts vegans hate #1825: our bodies can't break down the cell walls of many green plant matter effectively which is why we need to essentially put it in a partially digested form via cooking in order to access it. Meaning without technology (fire) we cannot naturally access those vital nutrients. So to say we are natural herbivores, eh. Dunno about that.

Yeah, cooked spinach is sorta gross because it can get slimy. That's why you chop that up finely before tossing it in the stir fry or whatever. It will cling to whatever you mix it in while it cooks and the pieces are small enough that the feeling of it being slimy or however you describe it is not there in the end product. That's how I most commonly use it these days but there's nothing wrong with a spinach salad at all, so don't stop with that. I like to use spinach when I make this salad: https://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2016/07/grilled-shrimp-louie-dressing-up-classic.html and it works wonderfully with it.

How many calories is that salad. Seems not too healthy to me.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Mayo, shrimp, eggs... that's not a salad, that's a fuckin meal :v:

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

a hot gujju bhabhi posted:

I was sticking to a pretty great diet for a couple weeks which is unusual for me, I've been historically terrible at sticking to diets. But then I had a nasty loving week at work and I always go straight to beer and bad food. How do you guys handle those times?

It happens. Try to mitigate stress and also avoid buying bad food at the grocery store. If takeout is getting to you, remove your credit cards from takeout services. Make it harder to eat unhealthy than to eat healthy.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

I eat a daily calorie deficit of 700 calories, so there's a lot of room to gently caress up my goals before I even reach a point of break even for the day.

Just remember it takes 3500 calories to make a pound of fat, so if the scale shoots up tomorrow realize it's temporary and don't freak out. The only thing that can derail your weight loss is quitting your diet, occasional gently caress-ups will just slow you down slightly.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Arts or crafts instead of bar and kebab-pizzeria. Doesn't really matter what it is as long as it's engrossing and potentially time-consuming enough. Bonus: if you have nasty weeks all the time, you'll get a lot of practice!

gayest of posters
Aug 5, 2018

by R. Guyovich

Joe Mama Poonana posted:

But when you murder innocent animals for their flesh do you not have to cook it in order to absorb the nutrients?

Look to what Gaia's providence gives that we can digest best without cooking: fruits, nuts etc. That, is what humans naturally consume. Some sort of veganism must be natural.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I can digest uncooked milk real well.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
We’re omnivorous. Whether or not we should be is an entirely different subject.
https://veganbiologist.com/2016/01/04/humans-are-not-herbivores/

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

I mentally translate a donut's calorie value into how many minutes I have to run (about 20min) to burn it off. Do it a few times and you are good it guesstimate.

You can get set back from a lot of thing. I got a cold yesterday and for some reason I felt very hungry throughout the day on my usually diet. So I just let myself go a little and had an extra meal. Just keep a positive attitude.

plape tickler
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

tino posted:

I mentally translate a donut's calorie value into how many minutes I have to run (about 20min) to burn it off. Do it a few times and you are good it guesstimate.

You can get set back from a lot of thing. I got a cold yesterday and for some reason I felt very hungry throughout the day on my usually diet. So I just let myself go a little and had an extra meal. Just keep a positive attitude.

You have an interesting perspective on things. I enjoy your posts.

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

I immediately go for a run, work out, or meditate.

Simultaneously alleviates the stress AND reduces appetite.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I don't think you run off a donut's worth of calories in 20 minutes. Nowhere near.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
I think he means do that instead of eating, not to make up for the eating

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yeah, I meant to quote Tino but forgot. I looked it up though, and a 20 minute run at a decently fast pace is around 200 calories, so maybe a small donut?

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Randler posted:

I have a pair of calf-high boots and when I lost weight I removed the extenders I'd put on to make the velcro closings long enough, they were around 4cm (1.5") long or so. My actual feet stayed the same size but weight coming off the lower leg definitely changed the fit on higher boots

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

Bardeh posted:

Yeah, I meant to quote Tino but forgot. I looked it up though, and a 20 minute run at a decently fast pace is around 200 calories, so maybe a small donut?

I checked French Cruller, it was like 220 calories. French Cruller is the tastiest donut.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

tino posted:

I checked French Cruller, it was like 220 calories. French Cruller is the tastiest donut.

Does it have plum jam in it? If not then :lol:

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy

gayest of posters posted:

innocent animals

They know what they did :devil:

:sweatdrop: they don't

Leftovers are a good funnel into planned behavior. Make it so you can eat it straight out of the tupperware. I invested in glass ones because they don't stain and it's easier to see and recall what's in them. And you have to set up a system where you can just have one beer, and it's 200 calories off your day's deficit if you can anticipate it, or sip a drink or two of straight liquor (don't do a shot). When there's nothing to mix it with, I get tired of sipping liquor pretty quickly. Today I've been going through a 22oz high-alcohol kombucha and a bowl of strawberries for lunch. I gotta say, strawberries feel really indulgent, but they're just under 250 calories per quart.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

Randler posted:

I have the same shoe size now that I did before I lost a third of my body weight, if that helps. I've seen people report shoe size difference after weight loss, but I think it's relatively rare unless you're a super mega fatty. I don't think there's a way to know for sure until you do it, but unless you're like 400+ lbs I think you're probably safe getting the footwear now.

Kullik
Jan 5, 2017

well my weight hasnt changed but i need to buy one of those things for poking new holes in belts cause this giant rear end belt i use is now not quite tight enough.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

runupon cracker posted:

I have the same shoe size now that I did before I lost a third of my body weight, if that helps. I've seen people report shoe size difference after weight loss, but I think it's relatively rare unless you're a super mega fatty. I don't think there's a way to know for sure until you do it, but unless you're like 400+ lbs I think you're probably safe getting the footwear now.

Get shoes but don't get tall boots (calf or higher) until you're done. Ankle boots like standard doc martens or walking boots should be fine tho.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

Kullik posted:

well my weight hasnt changed but i need to buy one of those things for poking new holes in belts cause this giant rear end belt i use is now not quite tight enough.

I went through three belts. Fortunately, belts are much less expensive than good shoes.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
Your feet start looking like feet instead of a pair of pancakes with digits on them.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
Use Nylon belt problem solved.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

On staycation for studying this week so I’ve been doing hiit workouts at home and eating very healthy. Then did 3 hours of fencing practice today including an hour of conditioning. My body is incredibly sore and I’m glad tomorrow is my rest day.

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe

Randler posted:

Your feet will remain the same length; the bones in your feet determine that. The real difference would be in the width of your feet, ankles, and calves. If you have to wear extra-wide shoes now, for example, you might get down to regular-width shoes in like a year.. (Again, though, some of that is determined by your foot bones and some people just have wide feet.)

If you're really worried about buying boots that won't fit properly in a year or two, get a pair with an adjustable width, although that's a little hard with women's boots. (Everything is zippers or stretch.) If you're not going to be losing a really drastic amount of weight, like fifty pounds or more, then a pair of boots that fits you now will probably fit just fine later.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I'm gaining weight :(

gayest of posters
Aug 5, 2018

by R. Guyovich
Being an endomorph is such a curse. Being an endomorph is what being genetic trash feels like. I envy mesomorphs for their robust frames (which endomorphs can match) but really it's their lack of genetically inherited low insulin sensitivity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
This is like the opposite of the 600 lb thread. I feel there should be more pictures of fit people for motivation.