Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
That is one industrial-strength humidifier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum
I've seen similar in a flat I lived in as a student in London. Not quite that bad, but water dripping off the light fittings and out of the electrical conduit when it rained, etc. Actually the whole flat was as OSHA (or I guess HSE) as hell, I'm kind of surprised it didn't collapse if you slammed the (wildly mis-matched) doors hard. Part of the ceiling was constructed out of an old snooker table, you could still see the pockets hanging down.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Tetris amateur :smug:

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Hobnob posted:

I've seen similar in a flat I lived in as a student in London. Not quite that bad, but water dripping off the light fittings and out of the electrical conduit when it rained, etc. Actually the whole flat was as OSHA (or I guess HSE) as hell, I'm kind of surprised it didn't collapse if you slammed the (wildly mis-matched) doors hard. Part of the ceiling was constructed out of an old snooker table, you could still see the pockets hanging down.

How desperate were they for building materials that they chopped up a snooker table? Though now that I think of it, one of the steps in my house was made partially out of a child’s desktop...

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

imagine a truck horn playing "Dixie", forever

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
Does anybody have that picture of uranium/plutonium "bullets" just sitting around right next to each other, and can someone explain it why it's dangerous?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

This one?

The bright tubes leaning against the wall are storage cases. They have been carefully designed to make sure you can't accidentally create a supercritical mass by mishandling them.
The dull metal rods are plutonium. Note that they are outside their storage cases, and thus these engineering controls have been circumvented and problems may occur.
It's surprisingly unintuitive what can cause an excursion - for example, trying to move one rod away from the others might mean that the water in your hand acts as a neutron reflector and sends the arrangement supercritical, causing everyone nearby to get a massive radiation dose.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

f#a# posted:

Does anybody have that picture of uranium/plutonium "bullets" just sitting around right next to each other, and can someone explain it why it's dangerous?

This was taken at the PF-4 lab in Los Alamos in 2011. They put them on a table to photograph them, to show how finely machined they were.

It's dangerous because there's enough plutonium in those rods to constitute critical mass. Bump the table so that one of the rods rolls into its adjacent one, and there's a reasonable fear that it could trigger an uncontrolled nuclear chain reaction, killing everyone in the room and rendering the building uninhabitable.

Hell, you don't even need to move the rods -- just have a lot of people standing around the table. Human bodies are mostly water, and pretty good at reflecting neutrons.

Multiple safety managers at LANL resigned in protest when this picture made the rounds, and the lab lost its charter to perform plutonium handling.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Jet Jaguar posted:

How desperate were they for building materials that they chopped up a snooker table? Though now that I think of it, one of the steps in my house was made partially out of a child’s desktop...

I dunno, the whole place was an ancient Victorian(?) house converted ineptly into a number of rickety flats. Some of the rooms had >12ft ceilings (my bedroom was only just big enough to fit a bed in and was considerably taller than it was wide or deep), and other rooms were only just tall enough to stand in. (My roommate, who was taller than me, couldn't stand up straight in the bath, for instance.) The snooker table formed the ceiling of the entry hall and kitchenette, and I think must have been the part of the floor of the flat above. The toilet not only had the telephone, but a second handy entry door from outside the flat.

I suspect the conversion had mostly been done by the resident caretaker/handyman, who seemed to live out of a single room under the stairs. Maybe he just used whatever he could get his hands on. The owners lived in the front rooms of the house, which were much more elegant.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Grem posted:

Is that a child's bedroom? Holy gently caress that's terrifying.

Tears in Heaven could be described as haunting but terrifying is a stretch.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/q0ChZcw.mp4

I'm not good with identifying car models but something tells me this is a Tesla.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Kith posted:

I'm not good with identifying car models but something tells me this is a Tesla.

It's not though. BMW M5: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aN6Vs_GGfbI

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Kith posted:

It's a BMW.

Edit: beaten by seconds

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Kith posted:

BMW

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
This is what happens when you don’t use your blinkers.

Blinker fluid gets unstable as it ages.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Platystemon posted:

This is what happens when you don’t use your blinkers.

Blinker fluid gets unstable as it ages.

Must be a common BMW ailment then.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Kith posted:

Nah it's just Ghost Rider.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Kith posted:

I would have said a DeLorean.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

looks like a porsche to me tank joke

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

ullerrm posted:

This was taken at the PF-4 lab in Los Alamos in 2011. They put them on a table to photograph them, to show how finely machined they were.

It's dangerous because there's enough plutonium in those rods to constitute critical mass. Bump the table so that one of the rods rolls into its adjacent one, and there's a reasonable fear that it could trigger an uncontrolled nuclear chain reaction, killing everyone in the room and rendering the building uninhabitable.

Hell, you don't even need to move the rods -- just have a lot of people standing around the table. Human bodies are mostly water, and pretty good at reflecting neutrons.

Multiple safety managers at LANL resigned in protest when this picture made the rounds, and the lab lost its charter to perform plutonium handling.
The post hoc analysis is that there wasn't the right mass and geometry even with the amount of bodies and the timeframe meant limited chances for other accidents that could provide the trigger. The problem and controversy is that this was post hoc. Someone figured the same thing in their head and decided to do it when the correct way of working is to file for an exception and spend the months engineering how your photoshoot isn't going to go supercritical.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Fancy_Breakfast posted:

I was standing up in the back of the ambulance when the driver took a hard turn and I got slammed to one side of the vehicle and sprained 2 of my fingers. I nearly fell on top of my patient too.
We're not allowed to stand while the vehicle is moving so I can't say poo poo. But it's nearly impossible to work in most ambulances without at least having to remove your seatbelt to grab things.
What was I reaching for? A loving tissue so my patient could blow their nose.

My #1 fear is being in the back and being involved in an actual crash. It's literally just a fibreglass box body with almost zero crash protection. That and having seats and odd angles and often not wearing seatbelts, ensures that most ambulance crashes are fatal. Scares me a bit.

I guess I could make a big deal about it and go to occupational health about my screwed up fingers but I think management will just discipline me or something.

Oh sorry here's a video.

edit: changed to a gif
FF/EMT here (17 years experience)... Glad you didn’t die, sorry you got a little hurt. I’m a mad your driver didn’t stop at the red light. It’s stuff like this that makes me transport almost no patient with lights and sirens. There are some departments around here that take everyone with lights from as stubbed toe to a stroke. My preference is to get there safely vs 90 seconds sooner.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

ullerrm posted:

The part I always liked is how the top rods are laid on an angle that defeats the anti-roll nubs that were molded into them.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

ullerrm posted:

2011???

I thought this was taken in 1950-something when they were still in the wild west of nuclear science.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.
Worst thing about that picture is the worlds dirtiest sharpie.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.

dexter6 posted:

FF/EMT here (17 years experience)... Glad you didn’t die, sorry you got a little hurt. I’m a mad your driver didn’t stop at the red light. It’s stuff like this that makes me transport almost no patient with lights and sirens. There are some departments around here that take everyone with lights from as stubbed toe to a stroke. My preference is to get there safely vs 90 seconds sooner.

Just to clarify that video isn't me. The driver during my call just took a turn, probably not even too sharply. lovely rural roads.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

Mr-Spain posted:

Worst thing about that picture is the worlds dirtiest sharpie.

That’s what everything in a rad hood or glove box starts to look like after a while.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Kith posted:

"My car's on fire! I need to outrun it!"

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

chitoryu12 posted:

"My car's on fire! I need to outrun it!"
I think he was trying to park it in a better place than an intersection.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
He parked it next to a park, it checks out.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Industrial 8 gauge slam fire shotgun for kiln cleaning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3i82WuHCGAk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuPtqHS3EMI

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

I know nothing about cleaning a kiln, but what's the point of shooting just one spot over and over? Make a little hole in the built up muck and clean from there?

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Grem posted:

I know nothing about cleaning a kiln, but what's the point of shooting just one spot over and over? Make a little hole in the built up muck and clean from there?

I'm going to guess they are just going for a nice big concussion to knock poo poo loose?
This shotgun is just more practical than tossing little explosives in there.

Sorta like:
http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/mythbusters/mythbusters-database/dynamite-clean-cement-truck/
(i.e. one of the best episodes for how it escalates)

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The residue that builds up is so tough that you really can’t get it off with anything but explosives or massive guns.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

chitoryu12 posted:

The residue that builds up is so tough that you really can’t get it off with anything but explosives or massive guns.

Looks like it!

http://winchesterindustrial.com/equipment.html

Seems like a fun part of the job to me!
I like how much they emphasize having the ability to work without waiting for cooldown - just shoot that poo poo outta there!
This is my favourite part though: 'with the patented “rifled barrel extension kit,” ricochets are virtually eliminated'
Glad that's an extra option!

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Grem posted:

When you're making cement in a rotary lime kiln, the slag forms in little rings. The gun shoots at an angle that's nearly parallel to the side of the kiln and knocks out a chunk of the ring, and the rest of the ring falls off and collapses inward.

The alternative is letting the kiln cool down (takes forever) and then going in there with pneumatic hammers or detcord.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

DarkDobe posted:

Looks like it!

http://winchesterindustrial.com/equipment.html

Seems like a fun part of the job to me!

"Use Industrial Tools and loads to remove Nose Rings"

I support this.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

The first minute of this video shows the manual removal process that the guns avoid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43RFx8Pk6HE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Look how much money the we've saved by not replacing fuses on the blue phase!