Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Dieting Hippo posted:

edit: Got sub-3000 cycles on TEC REDSHIFT :c00l:

I love doubling the size of my program to save literally one single cycle.

Edit: I feel kind of dirty about this, but...

Same basic solution, now with optimizations from looking at the test cases. (For anyone else trying: the lowest password that actually occurs is 002 and the highest is 990

Snake Maze fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Aug 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eliza
Feb 20, 2011

Snake Maze posted:

(For anyone else trying: the lowest password that actually occurs is 002 and the highest is 990

You can save even more cycles if you don't hold yourself to those but realise you can loop around after 1000. Starting a bit higher than the lowest can save a bunch of cycles still. :ssh:

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
New Exapunks update with an important bugfix:

quote:

Fixed a bug where you could use M in global mode to communicate across non-existent links, like in the "modem" puzzles. This will invalidate some players' solutions to these puzzles, so the completion flags, leaderboards, and histograms for them have been reset.
Better go check if your solutions still work, specially if you want back in the leaderboard.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

gently caress you too Zach

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
lol this definitely broke at least one of my solutions, because I was doing exactly that.

On the other hand, I'm sure there's some cool puzzle design you could do where having multiple distinct global M networks could come in handy.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Welp, my tiny neat Pager solution is dead then.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

ymgve posted:

Welp, my tiny neat Pager solution is dead then.
Were you also using a test mrd loop to sync the exas on the pagers?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I was honestly surprised this worked in the first place when I got to the radio station one. What a weird thing to overlook until solution stats started rolling in.

Shadski
Jun 1, 2011
I've kinda hit a wall on the hack the highway sign puzzle - could anyone give me a soft hint in the right direction?!

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
You don't need to count both rows and columns. DIVI and MODI will be your friends in your time of need.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Chev posted:

I'm kinda surprised by that one. Has the game been patched to make this easier? Because when it released the number of values for that puzzle changed from test to test, sometimes it was 10 so you couldn't rely on that.

Maybe I misremembered. It's not working like that now. I'm using TEST MRD instead.

Shadski
Jun 1, 2011

Chev posted:

You don't need to count both rows and columns. DIVI and MODI will be your friends in your time of need.

what does MODI do?!

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Shadski posted:

what does MODI do?!
Its modulus, gives you the remainder after division

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh
I wish the game’s plot revolved around your histogram results because I’ve had some really shameful solutions that pivot on general purpose unoptimized for test cases self-replication.

“Hey the heart beats IAW the spec good enough eh just hope I’m never near something that reads an M or I die”.

Why have anything more than one loop that spawns single-task EXAs :getin:

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Dieting Hippo posted:

it should be possible to cobble together a Bitmap-to-EXA generator

I might have taken Redshift a bit too far.

I threw together a program that'll take in a Monochrome BMP and spit out EXA code. At some point I'll throw it up on GitHub so other Redshift tinkerers can have an easier time.

Here's EXAs loading data generated by the tool:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AcAYCmNRNI

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
and as he stood atop the hack*match leaderboards he wept, for there were no more punks left to conquer

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Hah. My solutions to the first two modem puzzles were still valid after the patch, and the pager puzzle wasn't too hard to set up a synchronized delay loop.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Zetsubou-san posted:

and as he stood atop the hack*match leaderboards he wept, for there were no more punks left to conquer
I got bad news for you.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
good thing i'm not friends with that punk then! :v:

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

SupSuper posted:

I got bad news for you.

oof

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
My zines arrived!

And now the question becomes if I should open the envelopes, or leave them intact, collector's item-ish.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Neat, had a brainstorm on the wonderdisk, beat the TOP_PERCENTILE by over a 1000 cycles.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

ymgve posted:

My zines arrived!

And now the question becomes if I should open the envelopes, or leave them intact, collector's item-ish.
They're zines man, you read them on the shitter and photocopy them at the library for your friends.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
I know I write mostly bloated solutions (they're highly maintainable :v:) but there are some god drat wizards in this forum.

How the gently caress do you get 179 cycles on the EXA-BLASTER radio station playlist hack?

Dieting Hippo posted:

I might have taken Redshift a bit too far.

:krad:

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Make sure your volume is turned down, redshift can be loud with 3 channels going

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I'm looking forward to playing this https://steamcommunity.com/id/IShallRiseAgain

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Man, it gets pretty rough once you get above 50k.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
I'm liking the way you can learn from seeing other sokuyions in the hacker battles, also the way that sometimes you have to write a different solution for a particular opponent, but that can so reveal a better general solution.

This game, it's good.

NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

Damnit, somebody get me a tissue.

Someone clue me in on the trick to lower cycles on Tutorial 4? Unrolling my SUBI X 1 X, COPY X F loop, with a final loop to fix it if we went negative, still only gets me in the high 200s.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Here's a hint:

SUBI X 0 F
SUBI X 1 F
SUBI X 2 F

NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

Damnit, somebody get me a tissue.

ymgve posted:

Here's a hint:

SUBI X 0 F
SUBI X 1 F
SUBI X 2 F

Perfect. Thanks!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Just did Equity First Bank, the one with the ATMs. I thought my solution that hit all the ATMs with one EXA was pretty good, but my cycles are at 4000+ and everyone else on the leaderboard is at ~1100. I feel like I'm probably missing something basic that's making me unoptimized...

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Just did Equity First Bank, the one with the ATMs. I thought my solution that hit all the ATMs with one EXA was pretty good, but my cycles are at 4000+ and everyone else on the leaderboard is at ~1100. I feel like I'm probably missing something basic that's making me unoptimized...

Are you checking every cycle to see if the ATM is empty? It sounds like you're checking every cycle to see if the ATM is empty. Don't do that.

I haven't tried too hard at the TV station hacking game, but I was pretty shocked that I could beat everyone except the few wizards on my friends list just by flooding the central room with KILL commands for like 40 cycles, and then half assedly try to move my two files.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

GuavaMoment posted:

Are you checking every cycle to see if the ATM is empty? It sounds like you're checking every cycle to see if the ATM is empty. Don't do that.

I haven't tried too hard at the TV station hacking game, but I was pretty shocked that I could beat everyone except the few wizards on my friends list just by flooding the central room with KILL commands for like 40 cycles, and then half assedly try to move my two files.

Is there a limit to how many opponents you can get on the competitive levels? I see your score on the ATM level, but not in the opponent list for the TV station one.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

GuavaMoment posted:

Well, that makes sense. The code looks worse to me but it runs faster! Lesson learned

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Play to the histogram.

The histograms you see rate each solution on every metric. Solutions optimized for one metric generally are not optimized for the others.

It’s the fast/cheap/good triangle.

Then play to the test scenario. I’m guessing you’re replicating an EXA then sending it to nodes 0-1000. What range of nodes are in the tests?

Bobcats fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Aug 18, 2018

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Gah!

Edit: I''m never gonna finish the campaign at this rate.

EditEdit:
WOO, I am the 0.1%

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Aug 18, 2018

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

Guy Axlerod posted:

Is there a limit to how many opponents you can get on the competitive levels? I see your score on the ATM level, but not in the opponent list for the TV station one.

I had Guava on KGOG (uploaded a solution that beat the killbots) but don't have them there today. Everyone else is still there from what I can tell.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

Would be nice if you could automatically run your solution against every opponent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Just opened the envelope containing my second zine, feels pretty good. Also rad 3d glasses