Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Dapper_Swindler posted:

so how does the game play? is it like rpg shooter or is it like wow?

Neither? That's a tough question to answer Imagine more of a gw2 vibe maybe, but creepy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
It's a third person game like WoW. You have a hotbar and cast abilities.

Bogart fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Aug 16, 2018

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

There's no fps or tps elements. Actions are done by hotkeys. Some actions/weapons styles go into a combo system. No real actiony bits that I'm aware of.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Bogart posted:

It's a third person game like WoW. You have a hotbar and cast abilitie.s

Bogart posted:

It's a third person game like WoW. You have a hotbar and cast abilitie.s

thanks. guess its not for me then.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Dapper_Swindler posted:

thanks. guess its not for me then.

However, it's free and the early single player stuff can be slept through if you pick the right loadout. I think it's worth at least trying the first investigation stuff.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

CharlestonJew posted:

they've actually added new content to TSW recently but of course it doesn't answer any of the lingering questions you may have

At some point I need to sign in and play that. But eh.

Apparently the two Tokyo dungeons had some leftover story that is still not in the game because gently caress You.

And the Agent System sounds like a lovely mobile game.

But hey augments are gone and scenarios are less lovely!

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Improbable Lobster posted:

Aliens Colonial Marines

The online for this wasn't bad tbh.

And I said probably, not definitely. :rolleyes:

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
Yeah I think SWL is worth it though I've never particularly cared for the combat (or the stealth missions lol); the issue with the particular team that made SWL is that I've followed them since the secret journey and they've always seem to make games that are worth slogging though because there's always something good going on with the story, but they never seem to get it right with the gameplay. SWL at least has a lot of it right: the world is very wonderfully detailed so exploring never felt dreary, the quests had a certain flair that could make even the most fetch of quests sometimes actually mean something, the investigation quests were an absolute blast to solve especially when you had a team with you. I also like their brand of horror, with well built atmosphere and story but just enough silliness that you'll never be left with actual dread (I guess maybe just in the garage level). It's horror and world wide conspiracies but mixed with irl satire and the absurd.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I really wanted to get into SWL because the first zone was basically "Stephen King's The Mist: The Game" which was extremely my poo poo. But I reached a puzzle mission where you're deciphering demonic runes and it's extremely clunky and annoying to actually input the solution and I just quit out of frustration when I misclicked and had to do the puzzle all over again. Story was real fun and engrossing outside of that though

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

dogstile posted:

It was terrible.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

CharlestonJew posted:

I really wanted to get into SWL because the first zone was basically "Stephen King's The Mist: The Game" which was extremely my poo poo. But I reached a puzzle mission where you're deciphering demonic runes and it's extremely clunky and annoying to actually input the solution and I just quit out of frustration when I misclicked and had to do the puzzle all over again. Story was real fun and engrossing outside of that though

If it's the one I'm thinking of that was originally post game content. And it was always garbage. Just another one of the many good idea, terrible execution things.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

dogstile posted:

And I said probably, not definitely. :rolleyes:

When controlled by a human as opposed to misfiring badly proofread AI, the aliens went from silly to loving terrifying real quick

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Quicksilver6 posted:

When controlled by a human as opposed to misfiring badly proofread AI, the aliens went from silly to loving terrifying real quick

So yeah, did fixing the AI typo make colonial marines a good game?

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

... good-ish? I mean the game gets more challenging but there are a lot more problems than just the Aliens or the graphics - being able to change your gun inventory anywhere even on ultimate badass kills and unlimited sidearm ammo sort of kills the tension for ammo management. There are several weapon types and mods but they all feel kind of anemic. I hate the characters. All of them. The game desperately needs a Mr. Torgue who's way into this poo poo or more sympathetic characters. With mods the game starts to approach being a solid 7/10 game in appearance and gameplay, but still is not the great experience you might expect.

Honestly the Aliens Infestation game on DS did everything Colonial Marines wanted to do better, and it was a side-scroller metroidvania. Limited ammo, distinct weapons, better characters and writing, appearances from Union of Progressive Planets as enemies, a really tense EVA section with just a pistol... Just play that instead.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

A. Beaverhausen posted:

No.

dogstile posted:

It was extremely bad, and also lol that you bought that dogshit

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Not even close, but at least it actually becomes close to a facsimile of game instead of a practical joke that Randy Pitchford STILL goes up to bat for.

As for taking The Secret World and turning it into a single player game, well they tried that with an offshoot. However, the franchise doesn't have anything going for it so it wouldn't hurt to try kickstarting a CRPG single player game.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Aug 17, 2018

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Did I get tricked into buying Power Drill Massacre or are the bugs a feature?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

All of that guy's games are very rough but that is indeed usually part of the presentation.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

Yardbomb posted:

All of that guy's games are very rough but that is indeed usually part of the presentation.

Ok cool. I am definitely digging it but I was getting seriously miffed at some of the poo poo that was happening like my footsteps on forever loop.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I'm playing Concluse and despite enjoying the presentation and concept I'm quickly getting sick of it. I'm gonna finish it though at some point. Well, that's my story!

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
It's a secret Early Access thing so wherever you are, you're almost at the 'end.' And the fucker isn't doing the web series it's based on anymore so don't think watching it will actually give you a satisfactory concluse-ion.

Concluse is definitely shaping up in a way that seems to indicate its a decent starting point that utterly dicks the landing because the creator got a bunch of other stupid ideas he wanted to crowbar in.
I don't expect it to actually keep getting updated enough to make it to the part where alternate-universe Mickey loving Mouse shows up but it would be awesome if it managed to, just because that's currently a complete mystery.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I always thought someone on the dev team for Secret World was a huge Invisibles comic fan, down to the two fisted punching cosmic horrors stuff.
The mummy arms dealer is probably the best character in the game, aside from Jeffery Comb's character.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Dreadwroth posted:

I always thought someone on the dev team for Secret World was a huge Invisibles comic fan, down to the two fisted punching cosmic horrors stuff.
The mummy arms dealer is probably the best character in the game, aside from Jeffery Comb's character.

Neither of those are Kristen Geary :colbert:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Neither of those are Kristen Geary :colbert:

Or Nassir.

Not Steven King is pretty neat in concept. I wish Joel "NO MISSABLE CONTENT!" Bylos never would have taken over because the original idea when Ragnar was on board would be to kill people off removing their quests forever and his example was killing the lighthouse keeper.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Len posted:

Or Nassir.

Not Steven King is pretty neat in concept. I wish Joel "NO MISSABLE CONTENT!" Bylos never would have taken over because the original idea when Ragnar was on board would be to kill people off removing their quests forever and his example was killing the lighthouse keeper.

Was the idea that as the game went on the metaplot would kill off existing characters, removing them from everyones game, even new players?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Hel posted:

Was the idea that as the game went on the metaplot would kill off existing characters, removing them from everyones game, even new players?

Yeah that the world would change and evolve as the game progressed. Joel was a firm supporter of no missable content though which is why the 2012 Mayan End of Days happened every year.

Supposedly the three Tokyo factions were going to start neutral as well and that as players did missions they would earn favor with them until they picked a side.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
This seems like it would have been achievable if the game was what it now presents itself as: single player focused game with multiplayer aspects.

Idk how much of it is possible but imagine a game like divinity sin 2? With co op? I wouldn't have even minded losing the dungeons and all other multiplayer aspects if you could have a more focused experience with the campaign.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It’s the same line of thought that ruined Star Wars Galaxies.

Contingency Plan
Nov 23, 2007

In recent years there has been a trend in horror games where combat is de-emphasized (Alien: Isolation) or absent altogether (Amnesia, Outlast). I'd like a horror game to take it to the next level: a protagonist who not only doesn't fight but is a coward. Like, imagine a a gameplay mechanic where as your character is fleeing an entity from beyond time and space, he must shriek in fear every so often otherwise he will drop dead of a heart attack, but doing so will alert his pursuer, it is up to the player to make the decision when to do so. Or your character will piss his pants while being chased and you must scavenge for clean clothing lest the smell make it easier for you to be discovered.

Some older posters might remember the character of Dario from Resident Evil 3: A fat, fearful whiny shlub who yells at Jill in the prologue before locking himself in the back of a truck. Later, Jill returns to the warehouse where Dario is and discovers he--or at least someone who looks like him--has been killed by zombies. It would be cool and good if a future RE game starred Dario and had you fleeing in terror and perhaps explored why he faked his death in RE 3. We can see a progression in horror protagonists from stoic, badass commandos (Basically every Resident Evil protagonist, Keith Snyder from Countdown Vampires) to normal Joes and Janes (Silent Hill)--it's time to take it a step further have player characters who not only don't fight but are cowardly.

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

"I don't like that mooch...
or her pooch!
"

Contingency Plan posted:

In recent years there has been a trend in horror games where combat is de-emphasized (Alien: Isolation) or absent altogether (Amnesia, Outlast). I'd like a horror game to take it to the next level: a protagonist who not only doesn't fight but is a coward. Like, imagine a a gameplay mechanic where as your character is fleeing an entity from beyond time and space, he must shriek in fear every so often otherwise he will drop dead of a heart attack, but doing so will alert his pursuer, it is up to the player to make the decision when to do so. Or your character will piss his pants while being chased and you must scavenge for clean clothing lest the smell make it easier for you to be discovered.

Some older posters might remember the character of Dario from Resident Evil 3: A fat, fearful whiny shlub who yells at Jill in the prologue before locking himself in the back of a truck. Later, Jill returns to the warehouse where Dario is and discovers he--or at least someone who looks like him--has been killed by zombies. It would be cool and good if a future RE game starred Dario and had you fleeing in terror and perhaps explored why he faked his death in RE 3. We can see a progression in horror protagonists from stoic, badass commandos (Basically every Resident Evil protagonist, Keith Snyder from Countdown Vampires) to normal Joes and Janes (Silent Hill)--it's time to take it a step further have player characters who not only don't fight but are cowardly.

I'd love to see more games that focus on exploration like Silent Hill Shattered Memories. I know I'm in the minority, but I loved that game. It has had that mechanic where you couldn't attack enemies and instead had to flee from them, but I'm sure they could come up with something better these days than the Wii motion controls...

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
ShatMemz was a good idea ruined by a plot that makes every possible wrong decision it could have made

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I loved Shattered Memories! I forget her name, but the prom queen was such a good ancillary character (I got the pink dress version my first run through)

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
stares accidentally at wii rendered titties

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Improbable Lobster posted:

It was extremely bad, and also lol that you bought that dogshit

For £1 and i got a campaigns worth of lovely co-op out of it.

I will defend games that aren't "loving amazing" if it has functional local co-op, its so goddamn rare.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Contingency Plan posted:

I like this idea! I don't know if I'd play it for a full-length game, but certainly it'd make some really interesting chapters.

Anyone else played Deathgarden this weekend? It's like a somewhat improved Dead by Daylight. Though, it has a sci-fi theme centered around 3d nanoprinting, I think it'd probably be better with a horror theme.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

There are parts of the Forbidden Siren series where you play as a child who instantly curls into a ball for a game over when you're spotted. The part where you play as the little kid trapped in a house with a family of shibito going about their daily routine and you need to work out the best time to jump out of the closet and bolt for the bedroom window is one of the most tense experiences I've had in a video game.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

game over when you're spotted
ugh

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

There are parts of the Forbidden Siren series where you play as a child who instantly curls into a ball for a game over when you're spotted. The part where you play as the little kid trapped in a house with a family of shibito going about their daily routine and you need to work out the best time to jump out of the closet and bolt for the bedroom window is one of the most tense experiences I've had in a video game.

Ironically enough the little girl parts in the ps3 Siren where some of the best

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Aug 20, 2018

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I think they ported over that scenario directly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's one of the strongest setpieces in a game already full of good ones