Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
https://twitter.com/PowerRangersNOW/status/1030898816264720384

Oh, poo poo, Rocky! :stare:

e: y'know, Koda is a caveman from an alternate timeline, but Rocky rocking the Red MMPR suit is the harder pill to swallow for me. IDK why.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Aug 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
It’a weird because Rocky as MMPR red is kind of bitter to Jason fans. Rocky as red basically felt written so poorly that it had to feel intentional. It’s also weird because Austin St John came back for Forever Red and used that morpher once already, so poo poo isn’t going to make sense even by the standards that old throwback crossovers never do.

It’s especially weird because Kat is also there, and just let her wear MMPR Pink if the whole purpose of this thing is to put as many Zyuranger suits in action as they plausibly can. Its a noble goal for the 25th, and it’s not like Turbo has a big fan base. Could they just not get that suit, were they holding out hope for Amy Jo, or what...

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Maybe they somehow don't have Zeo suits?

Anyway, here's your Go-Beasters
https://twitter.com/PowerRangersNOW/status/1030907024396103680

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Nah, they absolutely wanted an MMPR Red for this special, and Steve Cardenas was willing to show up while ASJ has been pretty clear about his demands. It’s that the addition of Kat in a Turbo outfit instead of MMPR Pink makes it more auspicious.

It basically makes it more blatantly a demand from corporate powers. Tommy’s the most popular guy in fandom at large, but he wasn’t there Day One and the red ranger is kind of the globally recognized symbol of PR.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Come on, Nic Sampson.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Sd6gEmGG6M

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Maybe they somehow don't have Zeo suits?

Anyway, here's your Go-Beasters
https://twitter.com/PowerRangersNOW/status/1030907024396103680

Pretty diverse lineup, think that's the first time we've had the initial team be more minorities than not

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Here’s your trailer:

https://io9.gizmodo.com/video/3556118

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Things of note:
  • Original villain was the obvious choice, but
  • The Moprhing Grid now official canon!?
  • Tategami Li-Oh already (from ep 34)
  • The Power-up visor too (from ep 33)
  • No Gold and Silver
  • But they have footage of them entering Go-Buster King which requires everyone

I'd like to see them do what LightSpeed Rescue did and make their own 6th and pair him up with the Lion. More rangers = More toys

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
The morphin grid has been a thing since MMPR

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

jivjov posted:

The morphin grid has been a thing since MMPR

It only is mentioned in three series previously. MMPR, Dino Thunder and Overdrive. I never watched the last two and I don't recall it too well in the first one. It's never been a major recurring thing between series and not really a core plot element outside of Dino Thunder, I think.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Its never been a Core thing, but its been a thing. Jungle Fury also mentioned it at the start with RJ saying that a friend of a friend hooked him up.

And OO has Alpha enter it to fix it.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

RPM mentioned it a ton.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Nodosaur posted:

RPM mentioned it a ton.

The never directly mentioned it, but it may have been implied.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Xelkelvos posted:

The never directly mentioned it, but it may have been implied.

yes, I'm sure the biofield thing that Dr. K is constantly on about that sounds exactly like the morphin grid isn't the morphin grid.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Xelkelvos posted:

I'd like to see them do what LightSpeed Rescue did and make their own 6th and pair him up with the Lion. More rangers = More toys

They'd pretty much have to. None of the other suits have even a tenth of the footage the main suits do, nor do they have applicable zords. But Lioh is predominantly blue and gold, so that's gonna be some kinda weird Quantum Ranger situation.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Nodosaur posted:

yes, I'm sure the biofield thing that Dr. K is constantly on about that sounds exactly like the morphin grid isn't the morphin grid.

Do you know what "implied" means?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I mean, that's skirting the edges of "implied" due to how much it comes up, but I guess.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

No Gold and Silver seems weird to me, though I'm pretty sure I've seen them in promo art for the series so maybe there's still a chance they'll show up later.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I would assume they would show up later like all extra rangers

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

the first ninja steel promo didn't show off their gold ranger either

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
They had shots from all over the series as evidenced by Powered Custom and Li-Oh being in there, but that doesn't mean they'll just start with them. Beet and Stag were briefly in one of the fight shots (at about 1:04) so they'll probably show up. Also Great Go-Buster is in there which means their zords are in. I don't know why you'd think they'd skip those two considering they're in most of the series anyway.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Caphi posted:

They had shots from all over the series as evidenced by Powered Custom and Li-Oh being in there, but that doesn't mean they'll just start with them. Beet and Stag were briefly in one of the fight shots (at about 1:04) so they'll probably show up. Also Great Go-Buster is in there which means their zords are in. I don't know why you'd think they'd skip those two considering they're in most of the series anyway.

Apparently, they haven't started filming yet so I'm guessing they might keep it a mystery regarding Gold and Silver until they're partway through filming. There's a possibility that this is all extremely preliminary and they'll save Powered Custom for when Battleizers actually do show up, it's just that it was one of the pieces of footage that they wanted to use.

I hope they keep some of the stuff from Go-Busters (they're keeping the GB logo obviously) like the gratuitous sunglasses throwing. The secret network of tunnels throughout the city with exits located behind posters if only because it'd be a funny change from previous seasons where everyone just teleported places (though teleporting makes more sense than in Sentai where they just run everywhere)

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Hey sometimes in Sentai they ride a morphed horse

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Remember post-Gavan Gobusters where they just forgot the hatches were a thing and got a black car to carry Yoko and Ryuji around in?

But yeah the trailer just looks like a Gobusters coolest morphed scenes supercut regardless of context, which makes sense if you don't actually have a lot of your own footage but want to hype up the toys and explosions (same reason all the robots are massively highlighted but Beet and Stag are basically there by accident, characters are probably more worth saving for a big reveal).

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Did Gobusters have a high budget for a Sentai? The effects in it look noticably better than recent seasons, and those seasons were made after Gobusters!

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

Did Gobusters have a high budget for a Sentai? The effects in it look noticably better than recent seasons, and those seasons were made after Gobusters!

It had a different look that they haven't repeated since. Some people have speculated that this is because it wasn't particularly successful but I think someone posted some kind of year on year data here or in the Toku thread and it really didn't perform that poorly.

Perhaps if the formula experimentation they're doing with LuPat shows results we'll see future seasons willing to experiment with look and tone like Go Busters did.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

GoBusters was really, really good. It was less of a difference in budget and more of a difference in how they produced a Sentai show. Very little stock footage, an all new type of suit, and the MoTW almost never grew in size. Also the main antagonists were almost always in the field making monsters and fighting the GoBusters, usually without using their true rubber suit forms.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
I actually managed to find a Super Train Megazord from Light Speed and a High Octane Megazord for decent prices at PMC. Don’t know if you guys have been keeping up with it at all, but the con has always been disorganized and this year it’s super mega disorganized.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Morby posted:

I actually managed to find a Super Train Megazord from Light Speed and a High Octane Megazord for decent prices at PMC. Don’t know if you guys have been keeping up with it at all, but the con has always been disorganized and this year it’s super mega disorganized.

Might have something to do with former staff assaulting people...good help is hard to find

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Ohhh please more details on everything :allears: i love bad con stories

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Ohhh please more details on everything :allears: i love bad con stories

My knowledge is third-hand, this is all I've got

https://twitter.com/MarzGurl/status/1018891603895701504

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Craptacular! posted:

ASJ has been pretty clear about his demands.

What sort of demands has ASJ made?

I've said it before, I think, but behind-the-scenes stuff about Power Rangers is more entertaining than most Power Rangers.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

MisterBibs posted:

I would hope its basic poo poo like "pay me scale or a wage that isn't as insulting as my S1 contract + travel and boarding".

Psure Legendary Battle + Forever Red actors flew on their own dime and poo poo because 'do it for the fans'.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

MisterBibs posted:

Based off his social media, a future for white children.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MisterBibs posted:

I've said it before, I think, but behind-the-scenes stuff about Power Rangers is more entertaining than most Power Rangers.

There is an amazing book out there waiting to be written. I just found out about the Overdrive thing which led to somebody saying a few pages back "Operation Overdrive featured a thief, and also somebody who had that role on the show."

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That guy from operation overdrive it honestly sounded like a misunderstanding that he took that banner thing, he thought they were presenting it to them.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

That guy from operation overdrive it honestly sounded like a misunderstanding that he took that banner thing, he thought they were presenting it to them.

He refused to return it when they contacted him and explained it.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

MisterBibs posted:

Getting paid scale. It’s the same request as always, they agreed to it when he was on Zeo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
All the issues and fighting over PMC makes me think it’s going to end up like Transformers fandom, where BotCon is dead and Hasbro’s own HasCon becomes the de facto event instead.