Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

ntan1 posted:

Tohoku is great
Agreed.
I just spent a couple days camping Hachimantai. The onsen here are amazing if you don't mind volcanic sulfur smell. There are outdoor mixed baths where you can actually see the hot water bubbling out of the ground along with steam vents and mud volcano just a few meters up the hill.

I recommend getting over any issues you may have with being naked around a bunch of other naked people before coming here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

CopperHound posted:

Agreed.
I just spent a couple days camping Hachimantai. The onsen here are amazing if you don't mind volcanic sulfur smell. There are outdoor mixed baths where you can actually see the hot water bubbling out of the ground along with steam vents and mud volcano just a few meters up the hill.

I recommend getting over any issues you may have with being naked around a bunch of other naked people before coming here.

Tamagawa? I really want to get up there some time. How's the riding up there?

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Same. Any recommended places?

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

CopperHound posted:

I just sucked it up the first time and the anxiety just kinda melted away in the hot water. Also the fact that nobody gives a fuuuuuck that your dick is out.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Stringent posted:

Tamagawa? I really want to get up there some time. How's the riding up there?
Riding up to the crossroads at Mt. Hachimantai carrying all my luggage was a challenge but was quite rewarding. It seemed somewhat popular for people on road bikes. I made it to Fukenoyu, and Goshogake. Fukenoyu has outdoor bathing areas in a volcanic field. I also stopped by Toshichionsen. It was quite popular but still had to climb 200 more meters that day so I didn't use it. All three seemed somewhat old, so I'm not sure how much I can recommend paying to stay the night, but I definitely recommend the public bathing at any of those three places if you find yourself visiting the park.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
What are my options for luggage storage? I'm going for 2 weeks in december and will be snowboarding at least 6 days but not sure where to keep the luggage while we're visting Kyoto and Osaka

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

There's storage lockers on most railway stations, but I'd start by contacting whatever place your staying and ask them if they can help with storage. (I assume you mean storing your snowboarding equipment while not using it. Otherwise the answer is "don't bring stuff you don't need.")

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

You could also mail your big stuff from one hotel to your next but schedule the delivery for 1 week later.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

nielsm posted:

Otherwise the answer is "don't bring stuff you don't need."

:psypop:

You gotta show me how you snowboard.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

The only train stations with lockers big enough to accommodate snowboards are in places where you can snowboard. In any case, you usually can't store luggage overnight in any of those station lockers, let alone for 14-6=8 days.

It should only be like 2000 yen to send from point to point, and your hotels or Yamato should be able to hold them for a few days. So you could probably get away with to/from the airport.

Also it snowed in Hokkaido today, beating the previous record by 42 days...

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

rofl whatheck

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Next April I'm gonna be in Osaka for 2 weeks. What are some cool/good/oscure/weird things to do/see over there?

Also would it be a good idea to dick around Kyoto and Kobe and other places near Osaka, or should i just stick to one place?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

CALAYER the heavy metal curry shop
http://www.hmv.co.jp/newsdetail/article/1507241010/

and yes of course you should take day trips to Kyoto and Nara

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
So my fianceé and I are going to a Tokyo for the first time in our lives (my fianceé has been to Japan before, but only on a student exchange program to Yokohama), and I just want an idea of how much of a clusterfuck it is going to be.

My father bought some cheap tickets for me and my fianceé to Tokyo for our honeymoon, we're arriving April 29th and leaving May 8th. Since he isn't even remotely familiar with Japanese culture he didn't know that Golden Week and the Emperor's Abdication are occuring during that time period. That said, we are still planning on going since it's going to be one of the best presents that my dad is ever going to give me; and both of us have wanted to vacation in Tokyo since we were children.

As for our plans, we're planning on staying in Tokyo the entire time. Originally we thought about going to Osaka and Kyoto for a couple days each. But once we realized how packed the trains are going to be, we decided to limit our vacation to just Tokyo and nearby cities. We're also planning on avoiding major tourist landmarks like Disneyland and Skytree.

Our current accomodations booked are a single-bed room at an APA hotel in Kabukicho, and staying at the Andon Ryokan near Arakawa. Otherwise we only have rough plans, like going to visit maybe one or two neighborhoods a day and a day trip to Yokohama to meet friends.

We flying Air China from Vancouver, to Beijing, to Tokyo; and likewise for our return trip.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Your trip sounds fine, things will be crowded but not like China-crowded. Golden Week should have some food festivals and events, it's good.

I'm concerned about the single bed. They really mean like a US "twin" mattress that only comfortably fits 1 adult. Change to a double if possible (double = queen, twin = 2 singles).

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Awesome, I was worried since I saw some people saying elsewhere "try to book a vacation at a later date than Golden Week." Is there anywhere else you'd recommend avoiding in and around Tokyo, aside from the Skytree and Disneyland?

The hotel room we have booked so far says it's a Double-sized bed, so I think that it will work for us. We have free cancellation though, so we're going to keep looking to see if we can find any decent hotels with twin beds as we get closer to the date.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Problem with golden week is more from places being closed than crowded. Tokyo is relatively empty during golden week.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Sweet, that's great to hear. My fianceé has a hard time dealing with packed crowds, so a slow Tokyo is actually a huge benefit.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Seriously try to verify the size of the beds. There are very weird sizes in Japan and I've had a few beds there that are advertised as being for two people and most assuredly are not unless both of those people are like four feet tall.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

umalt posted:

Sweet, that's great to hear. My fianceé has a hard time dealing with packed crowds, so a slow Tokyo is actually a huge benefit.

Slow Tokyo is still packed.

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice
So I think we're going to call an audible on our 7 days in Kyoto and spend a night in Hakone before we head into Kyoto. Googling around I see a ton of Ryokans with hotsprings there, does anyone have personal experience with a Ryokan there they'd recommend with either an ensuite private open air bath or one you can rent time at? I don't really have an issue flashing my lil wiener around for all to see but my wife doesn't want to be separated if we go to public baths or anything and would rather hang out with me.

merwu
Oct 23, 2017

Say it to my face, ~motherfucker~

Grand Fromage posted:

Seriously try to verify the size of the beds. There are very weird sizes in Japan and I've had a few beds there that are advertised as being for two people and most assuredly are not unless both of those people are like four feet tall.

Hi! I’m the fiancée and I can confirm that I’m 4’6” and I actually am very tiny? But like Umalt said we can always cancel if we realize it’s not going to work. For the first year we were together we often shared his twin bed together :iia:

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Will be in Tokyo in Sept and making plans for a free day there. I was really hoping to check out the Yayoi Kusama museum, but it's closed for the whole month :( Anyone been to this? Not much info online yet since it's new, but it looks like a solid alternative.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

teamLab did a pop-up exhibit a couple years year in Odaiba, I went, and it was pretty awesome. Word spread quickly and the wait time toward the end was like 3+ hours.
A coworker has been to the one you linked, he said it's huge, and he ended up spending like 8 hours there.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I realize it's pretty subjective, but for someone who's never been there, is there anything in Nagoya worth stopping to see? I have a trip next May and I'd like to do Tokyo and Kyoto, but I want to do some specific shopping in Nagoya. I'm trying to plan my AirBnBs now and I can't decide whether I want to take a few days in Nagoya or whether I'll just make it a stop on the way back to Tokyo from Kyoto. I don't really have any huge desire so unless anyone has a "holy poo poo go do XX" I'll make it a stop on the way back.

Actually, never mind. This is something I could easily have researched online. Looks like there's enough to maybe keep me there overnight so I'll probably do that.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Aug 22, 2018

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Martytoof posted:

I realize it's pretty subjective, but for someone who's never been there, is there anything in Nagoya worth stopping to see?

No

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010
Nagoya is whatever. But if you want to stay there 1-2 nights Inuyama or Gero are day-trippable.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Martytoof posted:

I realize it's pretty subjective, but for someone who's never been there, is there anything in Nagoya worth stopping to see? I have a trip next May and I'd like to do Tokyo and Kyoto, but I want to do some specific shopping in Nagoya. I'm trying to plan my AirBnBs now and I can't decide whether I want to take a few days in Nagoya or whether I'll just make it a stop on the way back to Tokyo from Kyoto. I don't really have any huge desire so unless anyone has a "holy poo poo go do XX" I'll make it a stop on the way back.

Actually, never mind. This is something I could easily have researched online. Looks like there's enough to maybe keep me there overnight so I'll probably do that.

I spent four days in Nagoya when I did my first big Japan trip in 2012, which was probably a day too long, but I was just happy to be there and walk around and I stayed in a cool ryokan that had a nice bathhouse and it rained every day I was there and I could hear the pitter-patter outside and I read a lot and it was v relaxing, also I ate hitsumabushi at a place recommended by the guy who ran the ryokan, that was p excellent

of course I could have done this in pretty much any Japanese city, I was just coming from China and used it as a few days to recharge after doing six days in osaka/kyoto and on my way to 10 days at Fuji and in Tokyo

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
HAVE YOU TRIED FAMOUS NAGOYA FOOD "Miso Katsu" AND "Tebasaki"?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The city of Nagoya is most famously known for its Final Fantasy themed food: Curaga.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I was also supposed to get beers with forums user Zo when I had a 16 hour layover in Nagoya this past January but he got probated for a month for cheering someone getting IRL cancer and then he ghosted the forums and I haven't seen him post since

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
If you're into knives, Seki City is close to Nagoya and famous for its knife industry.

Inuyama Castle is one of the five castles in Japan classified as national treasures (as well as Matsumoto, Himeji, Hikone, and Matsue). Hikone is also a day trip from Nagoya.

Ise is another day trip from Nagoya and has one of the holiest shrine? temple? in Japan. They tear down one building and build the other every 20 years.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Iga Ueno ninja museum… nah just go there with your kids in a few years.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Nagoya is to Japan like Singapore is to Asia. Full of rich people, and everyone evacuates on the weekends to go somewhere more interesting.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

zmcnulty posted:

teamLab did a pop-up exhibit a couple years year in Odaiba, I went, and it was pretty awesome. Word spread quickly and the wait time toward the end was like 3+ hours.
A coworker has been to the one you linked, he said it's huge, and he ended up spending like 8 hours there.

The Odaiba one was really cool and was called teamLab Planets - it's up again this year in Toyosu actually: https://planets.teamlab.art/tokyo/. I would assume the lines aren't as bad as before, but it's hard to say.

air- posted:

Will be in Tokyo in Sept and making plans for a free day there. I was really hoping to check out the Yayoi Kusama museum, but it's closed for the whole month :( Anyone been to this? Not much info online yet since it's new, but it looks like a solid alternative.

This one is teamLab Borderless. I went one opening weekend and it was really awesome. I highly recommend it. We arrived around 2pm and stayed for 4.5 hours. In that time we did all of the exhibits except for one that had an hour line. I think it was called floating pond or something similar and it was near the front right from where you come in.

The other one that gets a long line is the lamp one. It's kind of near the back left and up some stairs to get to it if you're coming from the entrance.

I would recommend going early on a weekday and doing both of those first. It looks like in September weekdays aren't quite sold out yet, but buy your tickets ASAP because they will likely continue to sell out daily.

The tea house is really cool and a lot of people miss it because it's right across from where you change shoes to go into the athletic room. It's 500 yen per person extra though for your tea.

And last piece of advice is just to watch everything super carefully. There are a lot of hidden things that you may not notice. A lot of the museum is interactive and there are things you can do in one room that change what happens in other places around the museum. I'm sure we didn't find everything that you can do.

One example was An empty room that looked broken had people walking through it as a shortcut had 3 TVs. I thought - wait a minute this just opened there is no way it's broken. So I just stood there staring at the TVs for a few minutes. Then cocoons appeared on me and then continuing to stand there led to butterflies hatching.
The longer you wait the more that appear. They fly all around the room and then you notice they disappear by the door. It's not by chance. They then fly out and end up flying all over and interacting with other exhibits. Really cool thing to discover.

Spanish Inquisition
Oct 26, 2006
LISTEN TO THIS SHITTY SONG BY MY SHITTY BAND! used tire.mp3
So, my trip is in a little over two weeks! My sister and I have all our accommodations booked, plans loosely laid out, and budgets calculated, but I still have a couple questions.

I'm from the SE United States, specifically Tennessee. Is the weather in Japan pretty similar in September? Tennessee and Japanese summers are both disgustingly hot and humid, so I'm expecting September to be more of the same.

We want to visit both the Totoro house in Nagakute and the Ghibli Museum in Tokyo on Sept 25 & 27, respectively. I know these tickets must be purchased in advance up to one month's time. Do you think we could get away with purchasing them when we arrive on Sept 12th? What's the likelihood of them being sold out two weeks in advance? Should I bite the bullet and use some kind of ticket service now?

Also give it to me straight: what's the likelihood I'll be kicked out of onsen / public baths for my tattoos? The places I most want to soak are Miyajima and Ookunoshima, where we will be staying in restort-ish hotels / ryokan for one night each. Can I feign ignorance, or will this make people incredibly uncomfortable? For reference I have three dollar-bill-sized tattoos on my arms, a small one on my wrist, and a card-deck-sized one above my knee.

I want to visit distilleries and the like, but I've heard some places are hesitant to give foreigners tours because they wouldn't be able to understand the safety speeches? What are some key phrases I'd need to know in order to understand those spiels? How can I prove myself to tour guides? Is this a baseless concern?

Thanks in advance!

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Buy ghibli tickets online. It’s just a giant pain to get them as a tourist in japan

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The Ghibli tickets for September went up on August 10, iirc. And judging from the Lawson site (both J and E), they're all sold out. You might have luck via JTB or at a Lawson in country.

The temp/humidity will probably be a hair milder than TN, not by much.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Check with JTB in the US. They probably dont have an office in Tennessee though.

As for tattoos, don't go into a public onsen with them without confirming at the front desk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I understand that the best thing to do about small tats is to cover them up with medical tape. There are also ryokans that offer private onsens, but you have to pay an arm and a leg for the privilege.