Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Having Scotland/Wales and Great Britain in separate categories illustrates the problem with these ancestry tests; assigning haplogroups to specific world regions or nations is always arbitrary to an extent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Well that’s not going to piss off the Welsh and Scottish at all. As I’m sure you must be aware Celts are the much older inhabitants of Briton pushed towards the edges (and Brittany in France in the case of the very oldest inhabitants) by countless invaders through history, so yes it’s interesting and useful to separate them from the newer Norman bloodlines.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The point was that the geographical concept of Great Britain includes Scotland and Wales.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I'm not sure how effective separating 'English' ancestry from 'Celtic' ancestry is either, considering the genetic makeup of the English population has a substantial Celtic component. It probably works okay if it's a big portion of the person's ancestry but I suspect it'd become very inaccurate if the test was taken by some American with ancestors from a lot of different European countries, considering the overlap between the different 'national' population groups.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Phlegmish posted:

The point was that the geographical concept of Great Britain includes Scotland and Wales.

Except for the fact that Scotland and England were not unified until 1567 and the populations had been largely separated since the second century until the industrial revolution. The Scottish and Welsh have more genetically in common with the Irish than the English.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Great Britain is an island. Scotland and Wales are located on said island. Therefore, at least two of the categories used in that pie chart overlap. I assume that's why it was posted in the first place.

I didn't say anything about genetics, even if I'm sceptical of the claim that there's this huge genetic difference between, say, Lowland Scots and English Northerners. Don't know much about the subject, though.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Don Gato posted:

So Assassin's Creed was a documentary?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Phlegmish posted:

Great Britain is an island. Scotland and Wales are located on said island. Therefore, at least two of the categories used in that pie chart overlap. I assume that's why it was posted in the first place.

I didn't say anything about genetics, even if I'm sceptical of the claim that there's this huge genetic difference between, say, Lowland Scots and English Northerners. Don't know much about the subject, though.

Well, that and it only adds up to 98%, despite having a slice for "other".

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I suspect they just truncated the decimals.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
I love it when this conversation comes up because it’s exactly as uninteresting to most people as talking about which type of Pokémon you most identify with except that I have this subconscious awareness that I’m either a grass type or a fire type and I can never remember which it is or why it’s important.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Trig Discipline posted:

I love it when this conversation comes up because it’s exactly as uninteresting to most people as talking about which type of Pokémon you most identify with except that I have this subconscious awareness that I’m either a grass type or a fire type and I can never remember which it is or why it’s important.

It's because the first fire pokemon is #4 and the first grass pokemon is #20, so it's the blaze it combo.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slćgt skal fřlge slćgters gang

checks out

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Trig Discipline posted:

My favourite part about this kind of conversation is how it's always uncomfortably close to just becoming a conversation about eugenics.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

cinci zoo sniper posted:

It's because the first fire pokemon is #4 and the first grass pokemon is #20, so it's the blaze it combo.
gently caress you, I checked and you broke my heart.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Just lol if you don't know that bulbasaur is #1

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Red Bones posted:

My favourite part about this kind of conversation is how it's always uncomfortably close to just becoming a conversation about eugenics.

I’m hideously left wing so in real life it generally turns into an argument with the fash about how the genetic descendants of original inhabitants of the U.K. are in France, so no one on this rock has any sort of “right” to live on it over anyone else.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Also yeah, Jesus.

And at least half of his disciples. That's a fuckup of Biblical proportions.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

learnincurve posted:

I’m hideously left wing so in real life it generally turns into an argument with the fash about how the genetic descendants of original inhabitants of the U.K. are in France, so no one on this rock has any sort of “right” to live on it over anyone else.

I mean, if you want to trace it all the way back, we're all African. If you go back far enough we're not even mammals.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
There's something incredibly stupid about Paul Ryan finding out he's "3% Jewish" and suddenly thinking he has any claims on that heritage. When did Genes are Heritage become a thing again? And not just with white supremacists, too, at some point I watched a couple of 23andme type of videos where people were discussing their results and they found out they have 30% match with some region they hadn't heard of and suddenly they felt connected to an ethnicity associated with that area. People of all backgrounds do this. It's a back-door resurgence of scientific racism.

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Absurd Alhazred posted:

There's something incredibly stupid about Paul Ryan finding out he's "3% Jewish" and suddenly thinking he has any claims on that heritage. When did Genes are Heritage become a thing again? And not just with white supremacists, too, at some point I watched a couple of 23andme type of videos where people were discussing their results and they found out they have 30% match with some region they hadn't heard of and suddenly they felt connected to an ethnicity associated with that area. People of all backgrounds do this. It's a back-door resurgence of scientific racism.

People without an identity, trying to find a group to belong to

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
They original inhabitants of Britain were neanderthals and homo sapiens figuratively and literally hosed them out of existence.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Absurd Alhazred posted:

6% Irish Cherokee btw.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Fathis Munk posted:

I gave the benefit of the doubt because bulbasaur isn't pure grass, but no. I can't trust this thread any more.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I could see an ancestry test being vaguely interesting as a curiosity, the problem only arises if you start taking it seriously or basing your identity on it.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

I keep telling my wife that her 1% Samoan result doesn't necessarily mean she had a Samoan ancestor, just that she has that marker, which could also be due to random base pair changes, but nope, I'm once again crushing her dreams.

Fortunately she is well aware of identity issues and isn't about to start eating taro root and claiming an ancestral longing for the south seas.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

MrUnderbridge posted:

I keep telling my wife that her 1% Samoan result doesn't necessarily mean she had a Samoan ancestor, just that she has that marker, which could also be due to random base pair changes, but nope, I'm once again crushing her dreams.

Fortunately she is well aware of identity issues and isn't about to start eating taro root and claiming an ancestral longing for the south seas.

What dreams does not having 1% Samoan ancestry crush?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Andrast posted:

Do you not receive emails from your royal relatives?

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

MrUnderbridge posted:

Taro is good though, Breadfruit too

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Unsurprisingly, people cherry-pick their results to choose identities they like the sounds of and discard other ones. This is especially the case with white people who use it as a way to try on racialized identities when they feel it benefits them and drop them when they feel it doesn't, potentially perpetuating dangerous ideas that that's what race is like for everyone instead of just for people who look white.

Read Snigfut
Feb 19, 2013

Mostly harmless.

I'm about 25% Native American by ancestry, but I don't claim Native American heritage nor consider it part of my culture because my ancestors were mestizos.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

vyelkin posted:

Unsurprisingly, people cherry-pick their results to choose identities they like the sounds of and discard other ones. This is especially the case with white people who use it as a way to try on racialized identities when they feel it benefits them and drop them when they feel it doesn't, potentially perpetuating dangerous ideas that that's what race is like for everyone instead of just for people who look white.

But it does lead to the hilarity of hardcore white supremacists reacting badly to finding out they're like 30% black.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
I did 23andMe while I was working on my family genealogy and I found out I had about 1.5% African ancestry the same week I (1) saw Twelve Years a Slave and (2) learned that my family used to own slaves. Not that it's a slam dunk of any sort, but that percentage is about what you'd expect if you had one African ancestor in the 1830s-ish. That gave me some feelings, but "feeling like I suddenly get to identify as part of the African-American community" was not among them.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Andrast posted:

Well, I do often bring a little too much reality to things, like "No, we can't have alpacas, the city won't allow it", or what to do with future lottery winnings, or why we shouldn't get a westie, or in this case, that she has a broader heritage than she used to think.

It's more of a running joke.

I hope.

Jesus In A Can
Jul 2, 2007
From Concentrate

sever

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Fathis Munk posted:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Bulbasaur: first by Pokédex number

Mew: ancestor of all Pokémon

Rhydon: designed first IRL

Arceus: Pokémon’s creator deity

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
One great thing is that you get to be in a private company's DNA database that law enforcement can then use to implicate you in crimes, as happened with the Golden State Killer. It doesn't even have to be you, someone from your family could do it! :v:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Good thing I'm not a serial killer :v:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
“Interracial” is a sex act?

:thunk: