Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I wish there was a way to auto-hide the button bar at the bottom. Seems like a waste of screen space to have it up all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elmer chud
May 18, 2018
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

HPL posted:

I wish there was a way to auto-hide the button bar at the bottom. Seems like a waste of screen space to have it up all the time.

Install this and add the immersive mode tile, hide navigation buttons

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rascarlo.quick.settings.tiles

E: that permanently hides it not autohides, though a swipe up will show it.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

elmer chud posted:

Do you lack an opposable thumb? Are you incapable of interfacing with the screen when you remove it from your pocket? Screen fingerprint reader is fine.

The Android Thread - It's Probably Your Fault Somehow

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

elmer chud posted:

Install this and add the immersive mode tile, hide navigation buttons

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rascarlo.quick.settings.tiles

E: that permanently hides it not autohides, though a swipe up will show it.

Does it work with Pie?

EDIT: Had some Google Play credit so I bought it. Won't work without running ADB commands. Argh.

HPL fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Aug 19, 2018

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

HPL posted:

It's been an option on Samsung phones since Nougat so I expect it'll be added on Android Q or R.
I've got the buttons hidden and immersive mode on and using force touch gesture navigation means I don't even have to swipe up to bring up the buttons to operate the phone. Feels pretty nice.

E: actually you could "hide" the capacitive buttons on previous Samsungs by turning off the backlight.

Desk Lamp fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Aug 19, 2018

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

anakha posted:

Yeah, if your phone has a curved screen, glass screen protectors that fit even to the curves are very hard if not impossible to find.

I gave up looking for one for my Nokia 7+ and just decided to try one of those liquid gimmicks. At least my screen now feels like my old Nexus 6p when the oleophobic coating was still new.

Yeah I bought the Whitestone glass dome set because it's like one of the few that everybody raves about. It's pretty pricey, but I got sick of those tiny chicken scratches the skin-like screen protectors have after regular use.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

anakha posted:

I gave up looking for one for my Nokia 7+ and just decided to try one of those liquid gimmicks. At least my screen now feels like my old Nexus 6p when the oleophobic coating was still new.

Which one did you use?

The coating is completely gone from my phone and RainX only lasts like half a day before it rubs off.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

dissss posted:

Which one did you use?

The coating is completely gone from my phone and RainX only lasts like half a day before it rubs off.

I tried the Nanofixit liquid stuff on Amazon.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
I thought about pulling the trigger on the $279 Essential sale but I still can't do it. The camera/screen still aren'tt any better than my Mate SE and the signal strength problems on TMO can't be fixed. I'm very interested in the OnePlus 6T. I haven't used an AMOLED phone since the Galaxy S3. God help me.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Why do you want to replace a phone that's >12months old so urgently anyway?

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I

FistEnergy posted:

I thought about pulling the trigger on the $279 Essential sale but I still can't do it. The camera/screen still aren'tt any better than my Mate SE and the signal strength problems on TMO can't be fixed. I'm very interested in the OnePlus 6T. I haven't used an AMOLED phone since the Galaxy S3. God help me.

I've used the following devices in the last year

Mi Mix 2s
Huawei P20
Pixel 2XL
LG G7
XZ2 Compact
XZ Premium
XZ1 Compact
Essential Phone
Galaxy S9+
iPhone X
Note 8
iPhone 8 Plus
HTC U11

Negating the fact that I could have probably purchased a well equipped early 2000's honda civic for the same amount of money, I can tell you that no device(s) really "Nail" the whole thing. The OnePlus6 to me still feels like a lovely copy of seven different phones at once with no real identity, warranty work is questionable, build quality to me is pretty unacceptable at the new $579 price point and I think it overall is just a device you buy if you really don't give a poo poo about anything aside from how quickly apps load and have created some sort of weird malformation of third party apps you rely on for everything including the dialer.

The Mi Mix 2s is the only one that felt like it could actually compete with the Samsung / Apple's of the world in terms of consistent UI focus, regardless of how "knocked off" of iOS it is -- I really think the overall user experience on Xiaomi devices is a full generation ahead of every android developer outside of Google at the point. It is as fast, if not slightly faster through the UI (especially gesture wise) than the OnePlus -- the screen seems to be calibrated to show actual human eye colors very similarly to Sony in that sense, the Camera's are about the same as the iPhone X in terms of quality, and nearly close to the 2XL in terms of night shots, FFC on the bottom chin hasn't bothered me since I am not taking too many selfies.

It's a device that makes very specific compromises and I very much like those compromises. If I had to rate my list from top to bottom:

Mi Mix 2s
Pixel 2XL
Huawei P20
XZ2 Compact
iPhone X
iPhone 8 Plus
Essential Phone
XZ1 Compact
Galaxy S9+
Note 8
HTC U11
XZ Premium
LG G7

If you don't give a poo poo about flipping your phone over for selfies, want an honest to god blindingly fast UI with some bloat you'll actually want to use and lean into -- Mi Mix 2s is the prettiest thing I've ever put my hands on and it feels like you can beat someone over the head with how heavy and substantial it feels. It really is an evolved iPhone in terms of software and design with all the android poo poo you need; sometimes being a copycat isn't the worst thing.

I will also say, the G7 is genuinely the worst cellphone released in the last 2-4 years with no exaggeration and how anyone on earth can find that screen and UX to be acceptable post 2014 is beyond me.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

nerdrum posted:

The Mi Mix 2s is the only one that felt like it could actually compete with the Samsung / Apple's of the world in terms of consistent UI focus, regardless of how "knocked off" of iOS it is -- I really think the overall user experience on Xiaomi devices is a full generation ahead of every android developer outside of Google at the point.

If you don't give a poo poo about flipping your phone over for selfies,

Wait, flipping it over for selfies?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

LastInLine posted:

Wait, flipping it over for selfies?

The front facing camera is on the bottom bezel because there's no space on the top. If you don't flip the phone over, it'll do the up your nose shot like on Dell's very small bezel XPS laptops.

elmer chud
May 18, 2018
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)
Couldn't you just hold the phone up higher or angle it differently?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

It's a shame tempered glass screen protectors don't work on the essential, the screen is amazing. Haven't had a skinomi in years, but it will have to do I guess.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
thanks Nerdrum. I've never owned a Xiaomi device but I really want that to be my next phone. I just need one that has the USA GSM bands.

Edit: Google Butt the reviews I read, especially the Ars Technica review, say the Essential has a poor screen. Helped scare me off. But I really want a Xiaomi anyway.

FistEnergy fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Aug 19, 2018

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I dont know why people are saying the screen is poor. Its fine.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

FistEnergy posted:

thanks Nerdrum. I've never owned a Xiaomi device but I really want that to be my next phone. I just need one that has the USA GSM bands.

Edit: Google Butt the reviews I read, especially the Ars Technica review, say the Essential has a poor screen. Helped scare me off. But I really want a Xiaomi anyway.

Poor in what way? For less than $300 it seems pretty good damned good

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

FistEnergy posted:

The screen on the Essential isn't poor; it just isn't OLED.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I'm super glad that this bug was apparently reported in beta but apparently someone at Google just said gently caress fixing it, it's someone else's fault and I'm not going to do poo poo unless some application engineer yells at my boss loud enough to get him to yell at me.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

nimper posted:

The screen on the Essential isn't poor; it just isn't OLED.

The reviews universally say that brightness/contrast ratio and viewing angles are low even for an LCD. For example, I consider Ars Technica about as good as Android reviews get:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/09/essential-phone-review-impressive-for-a-new-company-but-not-competitive/

Anyway after reading a few reviews I have full-blown Mi Mix 2S lust anyway

FistEnergy fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Aug 19, 2018

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

The only things I don't like about my new Mate SE is the auto brightness is really random and it keeps trying to reset my launcher. Otherwise it is insanely fast compared to my old Nexus 6 and the screen is bright and looks quite good.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

Peachfart posted:

The only things I don't like about my new Mate SE is the auto brightness is really random and it keeps trying to reset my launcher. Otherwise it is insanely fast compared to my old Nexus 6 and the screen is bright and looks quite good.

I'm happy with my Mate SE with the exception of the processor and the camera. But for $230 you really can't ask for much more.

SebAndSeb
Apr 23, 2007

hello
I just used the charger that came with my Nokia 6.1 for the first time since I took it traveling instead of the old 6P one I've been using at home, and it just switches between charging and not charging every second or so. I guess it's just a dud charger, but is there anything bad that could happen if I leave it plugged in like that, assuming it can actually slowly charge it up?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I like the camera on the mate se and it seems v good for the price, but my last phone was a moto g4 which had a very bad camera. Can't say I've ever noticed the processor; apps run like they're supposed to and it keeps apps in memory for a startlingly long time. I'm v happy with it

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

It's also not extremely bad on updates, it had the may update in june and got the july update a few days ago. Obviously this isn't good but it's better than moto was doing

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
Yeah I got the update too. Pretty decent job by Huawei. The camera is better than what Moto does but it struggles with low light and my kids running around.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I've had ok results with low light, it could absolutely be better but it's better than the black noisy mess that I was used to

Blue Train fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Aug 20, 2018

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Blue Train posted:

I've had ok results with low light, it could absolutely be better but it's better than the black noisy mess that I was used to

Yeesh

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

There's almost no light for the sensor to capture there. I mean even dslrs will struggle at scenes like that without a tripod.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

That's where the difference between between a 220 dollar phone an 800-1000 dollar phone comes into play

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

hope and vaseline posted:

There's almost no light for the sensor to capture there. I mean even dslrs will struggle at scenes like that without a tripod.
You don't need a DSLR to capture that, most phones will give something workable in very low ambient.
From CNET
s9+

I can't find a budget phone comparison but the scene above is possible on a smartphone. That's weirdly muddy, and mis-focussed.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
The Essential is a mere 230 USD on Amazon, would be pretty tempting if it weren't a downgrade in all but bezels compared to my Pixel 2.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Buy one as a museum piece. "The phone that a brand new company somehow actually got right on its first try, before they went out of business."

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

This is from a nocturnal swamp exhibit at my local zoo.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

This is supposedly how the Huawei mate 20 will look, tiny unobtrusive notches will hopefully become more commonplace

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Probably a great phone that will never whiff the US. :smith:

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Blue Train posted:

This is supposedly how the Huawei mate 20 will look, tiny unobtrusive notches will hopefully become more commonplace

XDA is saying that it has a front facing speaker above the notch as well, one less excuse for the Pixel 3 XL.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Incessant Excess posted:

XDA is saying that it has a front facing speaker above the notch as well, one less excuse for the Pixel 3 XL.

Based on leaks there's no excuse for the 3XL. I'm hoping a bunch of the info leaked is wrong, or else welp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
Probably a dumb question, but is there ANY way to tell Google Play not to loving update an app that is currently open, active, and receiving input? Just had a great deal of work totally wiped out because Google can't figure out that it maybe is not a good idea to force close an active app. I don't want to toggle to manually starting all updates. I just expect my phone to be a little smarter about this stuff considering all the bizarre and esoteric predictive stuff they're cramming into the UX.