Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

glyph posted:

Ho buddy, have I got bad news for you. Them aint allen heads.

gently caress that's nothing but laughable, who the gently caress would think those could hold down combustion pressures?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

DiggityDoink posted:

gently caress that's nothing but laughable, who the gently caress would think those could hold down combustion pressures?

ZE GERMANS

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

glyph posted:

Ho buddy, have I got bad news for you. Them ain’t allen heads.

Hahahahaa

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Look at the depth of the part you put the torx in. Then note the part it's sheered at has very little metal between it and the bit where you put your torx bit.

Oh i got why I was confused, I was thinking about it failing on disassembly from torsional stress, but they were popping under use from pulling forces on the head. Makes sense that it fails there as the head flexes into an inverted cone and peels off the shank from the outside in.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Kafouille posted:

Oh i got why I was confused, I was thinking about it failing on disassembly from torsional stress, but they were popping under use from pulling forces on the head. Makes sense that it fails there as the head flexes into an inverted cone and peels off the shank from the outside in.

I'll bet the root cause analysis is over-torquing at the factory. Whether it's a tooling, training, or design issue who knows.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
I think it's purely the head design, the socket hole and thin socket floor allows the head to collapse inwards when the engine head pulls the outside bits upward. The flex allows uneven loading on the bolt shank and it gets defeated in detail, even if it was theoretically strong enough when you assumed an even loading.

But then again I'm not an engineer and am probably talking out of my rear end, I just find root cause analysis fascinating.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Normally I'd say probably poor grain flow in the underhead fillet (or poor cold rolling of the fillet radius) that's the root (hah!) cause, assuming they're using them properly. You'd have to test some to be sure. In this case, I suspect the forging of the Torx form has punched down the material immediately below it more than it should (not enough heat in the blank when they hit it with the die?) and given a nice path to propogate cracks across. If you look, the failure is parallel to the bottom of the recess, not up into it.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Those look like the R63 head bolts that someone had fail and cost like $50,000 to rebuild the engine.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

DJ Commie posted:

Those look like the R63 head bolts that someone had fail and cost like $50,000 to rebuild the engine.

Yeah, the AMG tax.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

InitialDave posted:

Normally I'd say probably poor grain flow in the underhead fillet (or poor cold rolling of the fillet radius) that's the root (hah!) cause, assuming they're using them properly. You'd have to test some to be sure. In this case, I suspect the forging of the Torx form has punched down the material immediately below it more than it should (not enough heat in the blank when they hit it with the die?) and given a nice path to propogate cracks across. If you look, the failure is parallel to the bottom of the recess, not up into it.

Could totally be a manufacturing defect in a bolt batch, but once it's caught I'd think you'd see a manufacturing line cut in where they started using new bolts that passed QA and it stops being a problem for everything manufactured after. Maybe you do see that, I don't know the data.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Finger Prince posted:

Could totally be a manufacturing defect in a bolt batch, but once it's caught I'd think you'd see a manufacturing line cut in where they started using new bolts that passed QA and it stops being a problem for everything manufactured after. Maybe you do see that, I don't know the data.
Depends how many they make and what the in-process testing regime required is, along with how long it takes the problem to present in service. If you have a stock of 10,000 of the loving things, and you didn't test them in a manner that shows up the defect, then welp, you've got an expensive problem on your hands if it crops up after 3 years of engine building.

I'd be interested in getting hold of some and seeing if I can persuade one of my lab guys to give them a pull, see if they fail in the underhead area then. Maybe section one for micro.

They did change the design of them though:

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
They changed them sometime in late 2010, early 2011 IIRC. In production, I mean.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

InitialDave posted:

Depends how many they make and what the in-process testing regime required is, along with how long it takes the problem to present in service. If you have a stock of 10,000 of the loving things, and you didn't test them in a manner that shows up the defect, then welp, you've got an expensive problem on your hands if it crops up after 3 years of engine building.

I'd be interested in getting hold of some and seeing if I can persuade one of my lab guys to give them a pull, see if they fail in the underhead area then. Maybe section one for micro.

They did change the design of them though:

If it would matter for your theoretical testing, those bolts are torque-to-yield.

Video with torque specs

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

MrYenko posted:

If it would matter for your theoretical testing, those bolts are torque-to-yield.

Video with torque specs
Not especially, I'm just interested in whether they fail in the shank under a normal tensile test and what sort of state they're in from forging.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

DJ Commie posted:

Yep, I got those pics from the “unicorn of something something” GRM thread.

otaku69
May 18, 2003

Mr-Spain posted:

Vehicle mount? Pretty sure it's also considered a machinegun the way the guy did it.

If it was a momentary switch where it fired 1 round per press of the button it would not be considered a machine gun.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

otaku69 posted:

If it was a momentary switch where it fired 1 round per press of the button it would not be considered a machine gun.

Yeah, but it would probably fall afoul of the "easily converted" clause though.

otaku69
May 18, 2003

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Yeah, but it would probably fall afoul of the "easily converted" clause though.

I can use a paperclip to convert a glock to full auto, should I be charged with a felony because I have a paper clip on me?

Also that is the second stupidest thing I have seen, next to lets attach a gun to a drone.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Lmao at digging up a 12 day old post for a gun well actually

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
12 days is the new one day. I love my dead gay forums.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I prefer my gay alive :colbert:

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Memento posted:

Look how little meat there is in the shaft of the bolt.

Please don’t share my dick pic

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Screw you?

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer

DJ Commie posted:

It wasn't 50K to rebuild the engine. Mercedes dealers don't touch the headers apparently and the 50K was for a brand new crate M156.

Olivil fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Aug 20, 2018

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Also, they won't replace the engine or the head bolts, thus saving the engine, UNTIL THEY FAIL, because they refuse to acknowledge that there was a problem. Or at least last I heard via the Unicorn Of My Discontent or whatever it was Destruction GRM thread.

edit: found the thread: https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/r63-amg-the-unicorn-of-my-destruction/110824/page1/

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Darchangel posted:

Also, they won't replace the engine or the head bolts, thus saving the engine, UNTIL THEY FAIL, because they refuse to acknowledge that there was a problem. Or at least last I heard via the Unicorn Of My Discontent or whatever it was Destruction GRM thread.

edit: found the thread: https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/r63-amg-the-unicorn-of-my-destruction/110824/page1/

There's externally acknowledging the problem, and there's internally acknowledging the problem. The new bolts are a pretty clear indication of the latter.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

True enough. Kind of like Apple (and probably many others) in that regard. "There was nothing wrong - we just decided to change it for reasons" and the issue stops occurring magically, coincidentally.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Seems like they could at least sell you a new crate engine for less than $50k

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

MomJeans420 posted:

Seems like they could at least sell you a new crate engine for less than $50k

Hand built KRUPP STEEL handbuilt Mercedes AMG specialness.

That engine really is something else; It’s only distantly related to anything else they build/built.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Rev in peace, D16-swapped EH hatch.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dagen H posted:

Rev in peace, D16-swapped EH hatch.

Uh, were you driving that?

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
#1 Son was. He was doing ~60 up a state highway when someone pulled out in front of him. Roof is buckled, driver's door is jammed up against the quarter panel, LF wheel shows weird camber. Car is toast. He's got a hairline fracture in his left ankle, but it could have been a lot worse without the airbag.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
drat. Glad he's okay.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah holy poo poo, glad he's okay.

Sidenote: do you have more than one son and do you refer to them as #1 and #2 to their faces?

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
I refer to them as #1, Middle, and #3 Sons, but only online.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Dagen H posted:

#1 Son was. He was doing ~60 up a state highway when someone pulled out in front of him. Roof is buckled, driver's door is jammed up against the quarter panel, LF wheel shows weird camber. Car is toast. He's got a hairline fracture in his left ankle, but it could have been a lot worse without the airbag.

Impressive.

Pretty sure that if that had happened to me at that age, I'd have been in a real mess.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Dagen H posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaI4xalOJsU

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Dagen H posted:

Dad, why are you doing this to me, the #3 son!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Glad your boy's alright but I'm sad another cool little Civic is toast :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
So is he, only had it a week. :(