Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

128-bit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

CharlestheHammer posted:

You don’t have to grind in dark souls?

You don't have to in Hollow Knight either. The lantern might seem expensive at first, but with the right charms, you get the geo for it without even trying while exploring. Same with all important charms.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

tuo posted:

Uhm....how is that any different from Dark Souls (if you played it blind)???

Dark souls bonfire placement and level/encounter design is way better than HK. HK exploration is tedious and annoying in the early part of the game so people unsurprisingly resort to the other way to progress which is grinding for items.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Mega64 posted:

The only thing you should be grinding is the dance floor.

Or a sweet handrail

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

nachos posted:

Dark souls bonfire placement and level/encounter design is way better than HK. HK exploration is tedious and annoying in the early part of the game so people unsurprisingly resort to the other way to progress which is grinding for items.

Nah

also lol if you think that people don't grind in dark souls

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Andrast posted:

Nah

also lol if you think that people don't grind in dark souls

I can’t see why they would. The game is not exactly designed with grinding being worthwhile.

Bloodborne kind of does, but only for blood phials.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

nachos posted:

I agree except I find the exploration worse in the later part of the game.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

I can’t see why they would. The game is not exactly designed with grinding being worthwhile.

Game design discouraging something has never stopped people from being dumb

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

tuo posted:

Yesterday I thought "hey, make a funny post and pretend ThisIsACoolGuy found path of pain and quote him like "found path of pain, had to concentrate for a moment unlike rest of the game, but was fun".

And then this....

Let me guess, you are one of those "Dark Souls Level 4 All bosses fist only no hit while playing on guitar controller" guys? Mad props ;)

Nah, I'm actually pretty terrible at Dark Souls games. I can get through them and clear everything but I roll into pits or hazards so often I end up being my worst enemy haha.

I just really like platformers so once I "understand" what the games want me to do I can usually pull it off to some degree even if it does take me a few tries. It probably helps that I had a bunch of masks ready :v:.

Anywho I think I'm gonna fight the final boss and see the ending then go around and do anything I missed. I'm really curious about how this game ends.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The only thing I grind is my teeth while reading this thread.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I have to sharpen my teeth because I usually leave my Switch in the oven too long and it makes the matte finish too tough to chew through.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

this is one of the worst things i’ve ever read in my life

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It also proves that most people don't actually like Waluigi outside of him being a meme because he'd totally have gloated in her face.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Marcus Sellars who some people probably remember as the dumbest "leaker" of Nintendo bullshit ever decided to drop some laughable poo poo today

https://twitter.com/Doctor_Cupcakes/status/1031188267000049664

He had also claimed Resident Evil 2 Remake was coming only for this "new" Switch and 4k would only be available docked LOL

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

ChocNitty posted:

I’m probably the only person who doesnt like Hollow Knight. I like old school games, indie games, and challenges. I love super meat boy, dark souls, metroid, limbo. But Hollow Knight just frustrated me with how so many things were unexplained. Am i supposed to be ready to fight this boss? What the hell is this manhole thing? When will I be able to unlock this door? So much trial and error, and grinding to buy those items in the store. I guess its just not for me. I should have used that money on Okami instead, or even Golf Story which I probably would have enjoyed more. Or maybe I should cheat and watch some walkthroughs.

Nah, same. I found Hollow Knight really frustrating and not fun at all.
Meanwhile I'm having the time of my life with Dead Cells. I suck arse at it but it's so fun.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Beat Hollow Knight! Final boss spoilers Hollow Knight himself was harder than that cool rear end moth to me. First fight I got up to the second phase of Radiant but when I died and learned that I had to redo everything I got hyper impatient and kept trying to DPS the HK down. Took a couple deaths to collect myself, then a couple more deaths to learn Radiants pattern but it honestly wasn't that bad. I'd say 5 deaths to the thing itself? Generally about half a hour to complete.

What a absolutely wonderful game. The bosses are fair and fun and unless the ones I left over (assuming there's many) are horribly broken I'd say it was pretty well balanced. Bouncy boss's are still my bane and for some reason the hardest for me to wrap my head around though :v:

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Achmed Jones posted:

LIES!

I am bad at video games, but that boss kicks my rear end every time. I’ve seen a lot of posts about Hornet being difficult which I didn’t really understand, but I absolutely cannot beat that guy.

I got a hot tip to use some different charms that I haven’t tried yet, but mostly I’m posting to say that you must be some kind of video game wizard
There is a way to cheese that particular fight.

Wall jump up to the top right corner. Most of the bosses attacks won't touch you, but you'll still need to dash through the floor to ceiling shockwave attack. Just hop back up the wall afterwards and you'll be fine.

Bring along any charms that give you familliars and let them kill the boss for you

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Is there any way to see how many times you've died? I kept count but I'm pretty sure I missed a couple times somewhere. Final Tally was 27

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

DLC Inc posted:

Marcus Sellars who some people probably remember as the dumbest "leaker" of Nintendo bullshit ever decided to drop some laughable poo poo today

https://twitter.com/Doctor_Cupcakes/status/1031188267000049664

He had also claimed Resident Evil 2 Remake was coming only for this "new" Switch and 4k would only be available docked LOL

While that is ridiculous, I wish Nintendo were leveraging it's good sales to pressure Nvidia into making a current gen chip for them and planning to release a new and improved Switch in 2020.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Nah, I'm actually pretty terrible at Dark Souls games. I can get through them and clear everything but I roll into pits or hazards so often I end up being my worst enemy haha.

I just really like platformers so once I "understand" what the games want me to do I can usually pull it off to some degree even if it does take me a few tries. It probably helps that I had a bunch of masks ready :v:.

Anywho I think I'm gonna fight the final boss and see the ending then go around and do anything I missed. I'm really curious about how this game ends.

What I love about soulsborne games is the talk about bosses. Bosses I got at first shot, and others grinded their teeth on for hours or days, and then of course vice versa. I know why I had problem with some bosses in Hollow Knight because in my head I made them overcomplex. Then others have big problems with these bosses, but easily beat the ones I had problems with....it's a very interesting meta-thingy...

But I truly pay respect to people who actually manage to go through these games and only die about three times to bosses. I think it is fascinating.

Also you'll want to fight the final boss at least twice to experience everythin

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

XyrlocShammypants posted:

While that is ridiculous, I wish Nintendo were leveraging it's good sales to pressure Nvidia into making a current gen chip for them and planning to release a new and improved Switch in 2020.

that's a terrible idea

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I hope Nintendo never releases a Switch U or whatever because I don't want to buy a Switch again if I can avoid it.

But that's the trend these days so it wouldn't surprise me :shrug:

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

WTF. I dont like Gamestop and I dont want to buy things there. This is poo poo. Its also poo poo that the controller sticker isnt part of the special edition either. Im paying more money, I want ALL the things.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Guy Goodbody posted:

that's a terrible idea

Yea I would hate a more powerful switch too

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I think after there were only like three games exclusive to the New 3DS, Nintendo probably knows better than to try to fragment their install base like that, since developers are just gonna make games for the one that more people have.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Beat Hollow Knight! Final boss spoilers Hollow Knight himself was harder than that cool rear end moth to me. First fight I got up to the second phase of Radiant but when I died and learned that I had to redo everything I got hyper impatient and kept trying to DPS the HK down. Took a couple deaths to collect myself, then a couple more deaths to learn Radiants pattern but it honestly wasn't that bad. I'd say 5 deaths to the thing itself? Generally about half a hour to complete.

What a absolutely wonderful game. The bosses are fair and fun and unless the ones I left over (assuming there's many) are horribly broken I'd say it was pretty well balanced. Bouncy boss's are still my bane and for some reason the hardest for me to wrap my head around though :v:

Did you do the Grimm Troupe DLC yet? The boss of that is fantastic.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Yea I would hate a more powerful switch too

I would unironically hate Nintendo releasing something like that.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Aug 19, 2018

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Andrast posted:

Did you do the Grimm Troupe DLC yet? The boss of that is fantastic.

That and this love Key thing are next on my to do list!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The New 3DS XL was a terrible idea, as are Xbox One X, and PS4 Pro. If you're going to release a new system go all in with a whole new system.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I said come in! posted:

The New 3DS XL was a terrible idea, as are Xbox One X, and PS4 Pro. If you're going to release a new system go all in with a whole new system.

:yeah:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Well it's Nintendo so I'm sure we'll see Switch U, Switch Plus, New Switch, New Switch OLED, and Switch VR by the end of its life cycle.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I would be down for Switch VR.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

I think after there were only like three games exclusive to the New 3DS, Nintendo probably knows better than to try to fragment their install base like that, since developers are just gonna make games for the one that more people have.

I think it would be easier for developers to leverage a Switch Pro, since Switch games usually run at sub-native resolutions today. Just crank up the resolution like PS4Pro/XB1X games usually do.

3DS games pretty much always ran at native resolution to begin with so there weren't any straightforward ways to scale them up for the N3DS.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

why da gently caress they starting w/ melee

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Andrast posted:

I would unironically hate Nintendo releasing something like that.

Why?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

a.lo posted:

why da gently caress they starting w/ melee

Waluigi literally did not exist yet before that

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Games already have enough performance issues on the Switch without the excuse that there is a more powerful version that can run them fine.

You can see it with some games running like poo poo on a base PS4 while the pro version runs fine.

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

"I don't like that mooch...
or her pooch!
"

Norns posted:

Hi you only seem to be to be talking about
3U and earlier in this post.

GU/XX is super fun plz don't let this post discourage you.

Oh they’re all fun, but they aren’t like most games that have long, slow, hand-holding tutorials where they spend a whole mission teaching you to crouch or open a door or whatever. That isn’t a bad thing, and it has gotten better at telling you what to do as the series has gone on. But there is a group of MH fans who love to get all worked up and say that the game didn’t tell you what to do and that somehow giving the game tutorials ruined the game or something. It’s bullshit elitism and that’s why you sometimes read about the older games being more “hardcore”. They aren’t. They’re harder because they’re not as well made or have as many quality of life features. I lived Freedom Unit 2 but I’d never recommend someone start with it over whatever the latest game in the series is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

enojy posted:

Did they really discontinue it like 3 months after release? Good lord.

That spike in sales later in the year probably coincided with the revelation that GD-ROM wasn't quite the security measure they had hoped it would be.

I've linked it so many times but contrary to popular belief the Dreamcast had a good attatch rate, especially for it's time, of 8 games at the time of the discontinuation announcement.

The system was also discontinued roughly 18 months after its North American release.

I always do wonder why the system had a great initial holiday launch then pretty much up and died. U also wonder why it came back to life in September, before the price cut.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Aug 19, 2018

• Locked thread