Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I think you were referred to as "stranger" in roughly 20 conversations there.

Don't think I ever managed to stumble into Northside in my playthroughs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
I've been through Northside a million times and I never remember any of the quests because there's just nothing that makes them stand out.

Kick out some guys here? Sure!

Kick out some other guys over there? Sure!

Save my daughter? Sure!

Meh.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
The big problem with all those suburbs around New Vegas is that unless you literally ignore all the content you can on the roundabout way up there, or get there by running screaming and crying past the quarry while getting chased by Deathclaws immediately after leaving Goodsprings, all their challenges and rewards are just... completely forgettable in quality.

Like, fifty caps? That might have been relevant as a quest reward or amount of money in the opening five minutes of the game. Past that it's like the most minor of pocket change. So there's no reason to bother with them from a reward standpoint, and aside from those few unique animations, there's nothing compelling about them from a storytelling/presentation standpoint either.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

The idea seems to be having a lot of routes to get into the Strip (getting the favor of the Kings, fixing the monorail, etc). But in reality there's no particular reason you aren't going to be able to easily pass the credit check and waltz in the door once you get to the Securitrons.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
It doesn't help that the North Vegas area is just completely barren of real landmarks entirely. Westside has a half-dozen quests sending you into it. North Vegas is entirely self-contained and the only notable thing even nearby is the House building which is gonna be pointless on most playthroughs. Unless you're really fond of .44 there's just nothing to do up there.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

PurpleXVI posted:

The big problem with all those suburbs around New Vegas is that unless you literally ignore all the content you can on the roundabout way up there, or get there by running screaming and crying past the quarry while getting chased by Deathclaws immediately after leaving Goodsprings, all their challenges and rewards are just... completely forgettable in quality.

Like, fifty caps? That might have been relevant as a quest reward or amount of money in the opening five minutes of the game. Past that it's like the most minor of pocket change. So there's no reason to bother with them from a reward standpoint, and aside from those few unique animations, there's nothing compelling about them from a storytelling/presentation standpoint either.

It definitely stands out as an area that should've been introduced waaay earlier. It's like coming across Klamath in FO2 after you're done with NCR.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

PurpleXVI posted:

that could have been intentional, maybe? These are the slums of the city, and maybe the intention is that these people can't afford more rewards.

It still sucks from a gameplay perspective though.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Be Sure To Drink Your Sunset Sarsaparilla!

Chapter 50: Sun Vulture and the Festering Frustration

ApeHawk fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Apr 10, 2019

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

Poor Cass. At least she's getting some laughs out of the journey, but her and her family have had a rough time of it over time. At least she's less likely to die from random crits than her father was, or an especially unlucky burst shot... or being shot in the back by idiot allies.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
I like to give one of those badges to all my companions. My deputies! :3:

Heir03
Oct 16, 2012

Pillbug
I...I never finished that quest line. Wow...

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
EDIT: Never mind, wrong character..

Sylphosaurus fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Aug 19, 2018

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Chronische posted:

Poor Cass. At least she's getting some laughs out of the journey, but her and her family have had a rough time of it over time. At least she's less likely to die from random crits than her father was, or an especially unlucky burst shot... or being shot in the back by idiot allies.

If John didn't want to get burst-ed, maybe he shouldn't have gone down the stairs into the tanker's hold, and stood between meMarcusSulikVic anyone and a wanamingo alien.

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

The star cap ending is just so beautiful.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Here Lies Sun Vulture's Hopes and Dreams.

huhwhat
Apr 22, 2010

by sebmojo
Playing through this quest line is a great way to induct people into nihilism.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Or dredge up embarrassing childhood memories of hitching one's wagon to the wrong (glowing blue) star.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

Who likes competitive sabotage!?

Chapter 51: Sun Vulture and the Caravan Catfight

Edit: V How did I forget that? Thanks, fixed!

ApeHawk fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Apr 10, 2019

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Just as a heads up, it's piques rather than peaks.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

ApeHawk posted:

Who likes competitive sabotage!?

Chapter 51: Sun Vulture and the Caravan Catfight

Edit: V How did I forget that? Thanks, fixed!

Oh hey, it's the DLC with the massively boring and underwhelming Main Quest, and the incredibly compelling Side Quest.

Also, please show off the special set-piece at the bottom of the canyon. You know the one. It's the only evidence I have that something was in Fallout 3 before I'm 100% certain it got patched out.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
Oh thank God, for a moment I thought you weren't going to brutally murder the Van Graffs.

As much as I like the idea of Rose learning some peace... gently caress the Van Graffs.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

PurpleXVI posted:

Oh thank God, for a moment I thought you weren't going to brutally murder the Van Graffs.

As much as I like the idea of Rose learning some peace... gently caress the Van Graffs.

It's easier to murder the Van Graffs by working security and being bad at it but I guess then you don't get to loot them.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

They always ended up dead anyway in my games because they get set to attack on sight.

Eight counts of self-defense with a guass rifle from a block away is totally a legitimate claim, right?

FrenchBen
Nov 30, 2013

Zomborgon posted:

They always ended up dead anyway in my games because they get set to attack on sight.

Eight counts of self-defense with a guass rifle from a block away is totally a legitimate claim, right?

It's not like they'll be around to argue otherwise, and the NCR will care for all of ten minutes until you hand over another quest for them. I didn't even know sparing them was a valid choice for the quest and not a trap option, because what reason do you have to spare them that compares to a dozen energy weapons relatively early?

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Oh hey, the Worst DLC Of The Game is up next! Get caffeinated because it's a snorefest. Also travel VERY light. VERY VERY light.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
It does feature some decent companions and the baritone voice of Keith Szarabajka, though.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

I dunno what you guys all played, I friggin' loved my time in Zion. Sure was a hell of a lot more fun than trying to do OWB on a character that wasn't at the exact level they meant it for.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Couldn't play Honest Hearts myself. I have a crippling fear of Wasps and other insects. Mantis' are bad, Radscorps are worse, Cazadors? A Whole DLC full of Cazadors?!

:allbuttons:

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
I like Honest Hearts.

Especially how it's not yet another wasteland of some sort.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I really liked Honest hearts for how pretty it is compared to the rest of the Wasteland.

The Mission, Chris Avellone edition I'm lukewarm about but whatever.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple
Honest Hearts is awesome. That is all.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

And its the best place for punch wizards like Sun here.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Honest Hearts I liked fine. It was Old World Blues that grated on me. The Think Tank were funny, but gently caress's sake there were so many DEADLY ROBOSCORPIONS it was obnoxious

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

My rating is OWB/Dead Money tied for first, Honest Hearts second, and uh that loving awful last DLC way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way down at 984th place.

OWB and Dead Money at least have decent concepts and stuff to do, even if Dead Money suffers a bit from being a tad too short(thus undermining the MASTER-PLANNED HEIST VS SECURITY theme) and the game engine just not really... working for the horror it's trying to inspire. OWB just kind of mobs you with dudes and while it has some funny set pieces and decent writing, doesn't really have any serious direction, it's mostly just a loot haul with some "oh hey, I know that voice"-tidbits.

Honest Hearts is just... empty. You've got a canyon, you've got some caves and shacks, there's all of one actual quest that I could even recall(the main one) and that's it. It feels like more of a "sorry for not giving you the location we really sold you on, have this boring area instead.".

gently caress Lonesome Road, though. Everything about that sucked crusty, moldy rear end and reeks of Avellone's bloated nutsack being smeared all over it.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3

PurpleXVI posted:

gently caress Lonesome Road, though. Everything about that sucked crusty, moldy rear end and reeks of Avellone's bloated nutsack being smeared all over it.

1000x yes. Avellone is a great writer but Christ when he's given an inch to be self-indulgent he will take a mile.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

I will have things to say about Avellone's writing style when we get to That DLC. Till then, let's just focus all our positive energy on the journey ahead.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3
I don't mind Honest Hearts, though it roughly lands in quality where everyone else seems to have it (for me it's DM->OWB->HH----------------->LR.) I'm a big fan of the DLC's centerpiece character, so that makes it more than bearable. Plus, it's pretty.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Yeah, that one has the best voice acting in the game and it isn't particularly close

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I like Lonesome Road. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

huhwhat
Apr 22, 2010

by sebmojo

Love that sick triple shades getup.