Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I used my tree settlement money to buy a BMW to haul my new horse around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
My neighbor cut down my 100 year old white oak which then fell on my brand new BMW without gap insurance spooking my nearby horse who then poo poo all over the LuLaRoe order I was just about to spam on Facebook.

While I was busy dealing with all that, one of the 400 candles I use to light my house with tipped over and burnt the whole thing down. The horse died in the fire.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Did you have enough money left over for a Reasonable Wedding?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

CannonFodder posted:

Learning about tree law is like learning about the law enforcement side of the US Postal Service.

Before learning:
:) Trees have laws? That's nice // Post Office has law enforcement? My mail carrier is nice. :)

After learning
:stare: Do not gently caress with trees // Do not gently caress with the USPS :stonk:

I love the postal inspectors, they always send me the best kind of stuff when they kick in the door of some rathouse in like Westminster and find a bunch of cards stolen out of mailboxes in Arcadia and Irvine

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

The best thing in the tree disputes would be at least partial replacement along just taking their property as your own because they're so financially hosed. Like playing for keeps in marbles.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

FAUXTON posted:

One of the things I've been working on in my job is identifying behavior patterns that can generally be called "serial entrepreneurship" - payments to known pyramid scams, payments to/from affiliate marketing places, cryptocurrency, etc. Basically, someone who falls for this kind of get rich quick poo poo is not just BWM but also a risk to the financial institution because they're overly trusting of questionable counterparties and feel like the world owes them success at some point.

This got lost in tree-chat, but I just wanted to say that when you work out a good way to pattern-detect people who are going to be financial risks because they're suckers, you have also worked out the best way to find people to buy into your new MLM/growing tree/etc. There is probably something unethical about using financial data to search out suckers for exploitation, but that's already more or less what credit cards are doing and I assume that there isn't any actual ethical bar in finance anyway.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

SpelledBackwards posted:

As otherwise inadvisably expensive as owning a BMW would normally be, $3k in maintenance popping up every ~110k miles doesn't sound like the worst experience in terms of cash drain.

A testarossa needs a new timing belt every 30,000 miles and it is an $18,000 service item because you do this:

Nothing bmw makes can touch actual exotic cars in terms of maintenance insanity.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
There is a reason you can buy a testarossa for a $30k discount right before every multiple of 30k miles. Who knows what else you’ll find when you ask for the $18k timing belt service.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

CannonFodder posted:

Learning about tree law is like learning about the law enforcement side of the US Postal Service.

Before learning:
:) Trees have laws? That's nice // Post Office has law enforcement? My mail carrier is nice. :)

After learning
:stare: Do not gently caress with trees // Do not gently caress with the USPS :stonk:

Postal inspectors are like Fish and Game cops, or US Customs.

You may have never heard of them, but holy poo poo, loving with them is borderline suicidal.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

C.H.O.M.E. posted:

A testarossa needs a new timing belt every 30,000 miles and it is an $18,000 service item because you do this:

Nothing bmw makes can touch actual exotic cars in terms of maintenance insanity.

the Porsche Carrera GT famously had a tiny ceramic race clutch that was very difficult to use. if you engaged the clutch wrong just once, it would break, and to replace it cost about $22,000.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

I worked at a Porsche dealership briefly. We got a Carrera GT in and the owners son took it out for a drive and broke something minor that ended up being a $20k repair. High end cars are the BWM gift that keeps on giving.

Or maybe just letting your dumb rear end son drive a $500k car is BWM.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

very stable genius posted:

I worked at a Porsche dealership briefly. We got a Carrera GT in and the owners son took it out for a drive and broke something minor that ended up being a $20k repair. High end cars are the BWM gift that keeps on giving.

Or maybe just letting your dumb rear end son drive a $500k car is BWM.

On the other hand a Carrera GT is a legendary instant classic collectors car and worth about $300-400k more than its original sticker price so it's pretty hard to indict as an example of car related BWM even if you break the $20,000 clutch a couple times

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
What does it mean to engage the clutch wrong? You can ride the clutch which wears it out faster but how does it just break?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Lowness 72 posted:

What does it mean to engage the clutch wrong? You can ride the clutch which wears it out faster but how does it just break?

Doing anything other than letting it out with 0 throttle from a standstill. (More or less.)

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

Lowness 72 posted:

The clutch in the car isn't like an ordinary clutch. It's very small in size, and to operate it properly you more or less are dumping the clutch when in use - there's no modulation whatsoever, as that is what destroys it.

That's my understanding of it at least.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

On the other hand a Carrera GT is a legendary instant classic collectors car and worth about $300-400k more than its original sticker price so it's pretty hard to indict as an example of car related BWM even if you break the $20,000 clutch a couple times

none of them get driven anyway because investment car owners are cowardly assholes

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Lowness 72 posted:

It's a "racing" clutch that has to be shifted hard and fast and only right at the point of contact all the time. No riding the clutch, no 'grind it till you find it' which should not be a problem with the short shift stick but I digress, and every shift must be treated like a racing shift.

You're in a Carerra GT and you're behind me at a stop light. I'm driving a Freightliner Cascadia and pulling 30 ton gross. It's a construction zone and there is only one lane bound by jersey barriers. Once the light goes green, I start out in 2nd and I won't be going faster than 15mph until I hit 6th gear in let's say 20 seconds. That's when I get to kick it into high range and gain 10 mph every 10 seconds. You wait until I'm a decent distance away, dump the clutch, and stay in first until you re riding the brakes while I get up to 30 so you can racing dump the clutch into second, repeat until we get out of this construction zone and there's a new lane and you can fly by me at 90 in a 55 and get the attention of the police cruiser sitting at the end of the construction zone for this exact purpose. You can't outrun Motorola.

BWM is thinking you can outrun Motorola.

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Aug 19, 2018

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

CannonFodder posted:

You're in a Carerra GT and you're behind me at a stop light. I'm driving a Freightliner Cascadia and pulling 30 ton gross. It's a construction zone and there is only one lane bound by jersey barriers. Once the light goes green, I start out in 2nd and I won't be going faster than 15mph until I hit 6th gear in let's say 20 seconds. That's when I get to kick it into high range and gain 10 mph every 10 seconds. You wait until I'm a decent distance away, dump the clutch, and stay in first until you re riding the brakes while I get up to 30 so you can racing dump the clutch into second, repeat until we get out of this construction zone and there's a new lane and you can fly by me at 90 in a 55 and get the attention of the police cruiser sitting at the end of the construction zone for this exact purpose. You can't outrun Motorola.

BWM is thinking you can outrun Motorola.

I can't tell if this is an explanation of clutches or erotic fanfiction. :v:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Sundae posted:

I can't tell if this is an explanation of clutches or erotic fanfiction. :v:

porque no los dos?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Lol at manual transmissions when the DCT is a thing that exists, just LOL

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

BigDave posted:

Postal inspectors are like Fish and Game cops, or US Customs.

You may have never heard of them, but holy poo poo, loving with them is borderline suicidal.

A friend works on an island community in Western Washington. When a dud firework was found in a mailbox four postal inspectors were dispatched for a four hour round trip, including a ferry, to throw it away with no other follow up. GWL to have that gig, it’s a nice ferry ride.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

none of them get driven anyway because investment car owners are cowardly assholes

Credit to seinfeld I think he did actually drive his ridiculous collection

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

brugroffil posted:

Still does! I see him each year at the Concours d’Elegance and he always brings a different car, and is over the moon to talk about why he loves that particular one.

Best part is that Pebble Beach is happy to have him no matter what, so he'll bring a random $15k old alfa Romeo that he loves gushing about, and park it next to some literally priceless mega cars.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

:can:

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

brugroffil posted:

Jay Leno also has a ridiculous collection that he drives around LA every few days.

GWM is making so much money you have an aircraft hanger full of automobiles and then making a show where you get paid to drive them around.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Indisputably true that the DCT can outperform any professional driver tho

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Manual transmissions are fun, though. If I'm going to spend an hour plus of my life every day in a machine, at least make the machine marginally more fun to operate.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Indisputably true that the DCT can outperform any professional driver tho

It absolutely did not exist to a level where it was better when that (all the way supercar with the fastest of everything possible) car was released.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Still does! I see him each year at the Concours d’Elegance and he always brings a different car, and is over the moon to talk about why he loves that particular one.

Best part is that Pebble Beach is happy to have him no matter what, so he'll bring a random $15k old alfa Romeo that he loves gushing about, and park it next to some literally priceless mega cars.

lol if you think there are 15k alfa 105/115s

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I generally agree with you but the Carrera GT was designed in the very early 2000s for a 2005 model year release and at that time there was no production dual-clutch transmission that could be mated to a 600 horsepower V10. Porsche at that time was using a torque converter automatic transmission that was fairly mediocre and they began using DCTs in the 2009 model year.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

lol if you think there are 15k alfa 105/115s

Maybe it's missing a door or an engine or something :colbert:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Get it while it's hot....this one ain't gonna last long.....

Good time to sell house? (self.personalfinance)
submitted 14 minutes ago by InitialKaleidoscope0

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/98p70b/good_time_to_sell_house/

quote:

I moved into a nice family neighborhood with good schools. I bought several years ago and near doubled my money. Now I don’t want to sound ra***** here and I’m not. I live just south of Atlanta and to put it nicely we’re slightly behind the times....

There have recently been a lot of bla**s moving in and I’m scared of my property values crashing. I don’t really mind them but I’m looking out for my investment. My clientele I’m selling to, mainly church going families, are judging to say the least. Do you think it’s better to sell and move to a more “friendly” part of town? Has anyone had this happen?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

:killing:

edit: this is not advice for the reddit poster just to be clear

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

:killing:

edit: this is not advice for the reddit poster just to be clear

it's advice to apply to the redditor

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Motronic posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/98p70b/good_time_to_sell_house/

Once in a while I get the idea that I can be calm about near-abject racism because I want to help people bridge the gap and make the world a better place. Then something like his comes up and realize that there really are still people that hate me before they know who I am, and I get furious. A part of me wants to fly to this guy's house and walk around in it out of spite with the brightest smile on my face just to upset the rest of those racist pricks...but then I actually fear for those that DO live there and would face more discrimination in my wake.

Forget BWM, that's BWL and BWH (Bad With Humanity)

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
If I asterisks it ***, it makes it okay! I'm not racist against blacks! They're okay people for blacks!

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

Motronic posted:

"Has anyone ever had black people move into their neighborhood?"

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Hoshi posted:

"Has anyone ever had black people move into their neighborhood?"

Like it or not, it's a really bad sign for property values. Because I know this statement will bring every crazy out of the woods to tell me how racist I'm being (instead of just acknowledging reality and my relative inability to control said reality), have a link to discuss instead: https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/business/wonk/housing/atlanta/?noredirect=on

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
That was a brutal read, gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

baquerd posted:

Like it or not, it's a really bad sign for property values. Because I know this statement will bring every crazy out of the woods to tell me how racist I'm being (instead of just acknowledging reality and my relative inability to control said reality), have a link to discuss instead: https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/business/wonk/housing/atlanta/?noredirect=on

There's a difference between "predominantly black neighborhoods haven't regained lost property values after the housing market crashed" and "black people moving into the neighborhood is a bad sign for property values."