Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

cheese posted:

Honestly as bad as radar is, BB AP doing massive penetration damage to destroyers is by far the most game breaking poo poo. Just loving absurd. 14k from 3 full pens and some overpens on my completely broadside Yueyang at 12km. I fear Yamato and Montana AP more than I do Zao and Moskva HE.

Yeah, I know arcade rock-paper-scissors bote game, but realistically speaking if I were on a destroyer I would fear getting hit with multiple 18.1 inch shells over taking a random hit from an 8inch cruiser.

Edit

Also, yeah, I get what you are saying, but you go broadside at your own peril in anything you go broadside to ships you risk deletion, or at least near deletion.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Aug 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
Not to put too fine a point on it, but if I was a destroyer skipper and saw Yamato turning her guns towards me, I'm not going to be thinking "I should turn my broadside to her to minimize the chance that she fucks my entire world up".

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

A couple of 18" holes are going to make a destroyers day a bad day, even if they just punch through clean!

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

The problem with BBs dealing full penetration to DDs is precisely because the nature of the game with regards to surface ships is solely designed around the concept of roshambo according to Wargaming (CVs excluded, year of the CV all years). There is no reason to switch to HE, outside of being a Conqueror, to combat DDs in a battleship. Realism as an argument doesn't particularly hold up for most aspects of this arcade game.

The function of radar doesn't bother me much, it's just a minor annoyance most of the time. However, hydro and radar going through islands is a bit of an issue as there is no real counterplay outside of a CV.

Finally, today is the final day of this CB season! Very much looking forward to a vacation. :toot:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Battleship AP overpen damage is usually damaging enough to chunk DD's healthpool. The real issue is hitting them with it enough to kill them before they unleash the torps.

The only time I've ever had full pen damage on them in my BB's so far is when my shell catches them in the turn and overmatches their angled armor so there's actually enough bote for the AP fuse to arm :v:

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Yeah the real problem is the issue of mixed type engagement - if you're spotted around a BB and a CA, you want to angle vs the CA, but show broadside to the BB. You're totally no-win if you see both.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
The problem with BB AP pens against DDs is that there's no incentive to load HE for BBs, they do just as much damage with AP against DDs as they do with HE, so why bother, especially if you also keep the benefit of having AP loaded in case a juicy citadel target shows up.

Once WG finally makes their fix, there will be the obvious decision making that needs to be made.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
So I bought a Roma and have been playing it... the thing is I literally have not had a single game where I was not the only Tier 8, or one of two Tier VIIIs, in a sea of Tier X.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

The main issue with BB AP against destroyers is really the double dipping poo poo, which is still ongoing, an actual bug, and something WG refuses to get around to fixing - messing around with junk like the armor values instead. Or, more precisely, a shell double counts itself upon hitting the ship - once for an overpen, and then a normal pen as well. Actual penetrations are of course extremely damaging to DDs as well, but you'd see a lot less of those huge hits if they just fixed the actual bug.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

ZombieLenin posted:

So I bought a Roma and have been playing it... the thing is I literally have not had a single game where I was not the only Tier 8, or one of two Tier VIIIs, in a sea of Tier X.

Welcome to the legendary module grind meta. The good news is the missions only last until the end of the year.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

ZombieLenin posted:

Yeah, I know arcade rock-paper-scissors bote game, but realistically speaking if I were on a destroyer I would fear getting hit with multiple 18.1 inch shells over taking a random hit from an 8inch cruiser.

Edit

Also, yeah, I get what you are saying, but you go broadside at your own peril in anything you go broadside to ships you risk deletion, or at least near deletion.
I said I was broadside not because I turned broadside to the Yamato on purpose, but because I happened to be broadside. Its worth noting that being angled away or perpendicular is generally much worse, as you have a better chance of the shell traveling the length of the ship and arming.

The entire point of the rock-paper-scissors nature of the game is that BBs are weak to DDs, but BB AP, which is designed by wargaming to be bad against destroyers (they don't have citadels and the minimum arming distance/overpen mechanic is supposed to make large cailbre AP bad against destroyers), is often not only far more devastating that BB HE, but is the preferred shell type for all targets. Wargaming wanted to punish Yamatos who shoot DD's with AP and reward Yamatos who have the "correct" HE loaded, but they failed at that task. There is zero reason to shoot HE at a destroyer if you are a BB.

And "realistically" a battleship would not be able to eat 7 torpedoes and keep on driving.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

EponymousMrYar posted:

Battleship AP overpen damage is usually damaging enough to chunk DD's healthpool. The real issue is hitting them with it enough to kill them before they unleash the torps.

The only time I've ever had full pen damage on them in my BB's so far is when my shell catches them in the turn and overmatches their angled armor so there's actually enough bote for the AP fuse to arm :v:

I don't get why they cant throw in exceptions for DD botes/armor that they should never get fused by shells larger than (x) millimeters.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

bloom posted:

Welcome to the legendary module grind meta. The good news is the missions only last until the end of the year.

Wait, what? Are they seriously adding modules that you won’t be able to get anymore for tier 10 ships? Or is it we’d need to use the arsenal?

Tathris
Mar 26, 2010

Velius posted:

Wait, what? Are they seriously adding modules that you won't be able to get anymore for tier 10 ships? Or is it we'd need to use the arsenal?

I'm pretty sure the time limit is just a technical limitation (can't have missions without an end date), and they have said that they are going to be extended basically forever.

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:
you guys think your weekends are bad?

let me show you heartbreak.png

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:
1-7 for the night, baby

1 first place win

7 first place losses

this game is incredibly fuckin' stupid

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

I think all your wins were given to me tonight Pokchu, as I have no other explanation for what is probably the best session I'm likely to ever have in this game.

I have no explanation, as it certainly wasn't my stellar gameplay. Was fun though and sure beats losing.

6 of those (the four in premiums and the 2 right before those) were in a division with a guy who was the clan-leader in my WoT clan that I did clan wars with, when I wasn't in NDP (was not with NDP in clanwars days). It was nice having someone giving me direction on where I should head and what to do on each map as the game started. Really helped me contribute in most of those games instead of doing something stupid early and dying.

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:
The most impressive thing is the draw, given how incredibly rare they are.

I’m guessing it was a standard battle with only carriers left at the end of the game time, with every other ship dead?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
anyone else hate the map design for this game? because man i just cannot tell you how many naval battles have been fought inside coral atolls

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Raskolnikov38 posted:

anyone else hate the map design for this game? because man i just cannot tell you how many naval battles have been fought inside coral atolls

The most realistic map, Ocean, is also the worst.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
i mean a couple of islands would be fine but these maps overdo it

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Any less islands and cruisers would be unplayable.

Tathris
Mar 26, 2010

bloom posted:

Yeah. Maps with few islands just result in BBs circling them at 20km+ trying to get angles on the people using them as cover.

I mean they do that anyway, but if there were less islands it would actually work. That would make quite a few ship lines worthless.

I wish they put Mountain Range and Ocean in the trash where they belong tho, worst maps by a wide margin after they fixed Tears.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I mean, nothing at all about the game is realistic in any way other than there were ships named the same thing that looked roughly the same. High tier maps are already far too open and spread out to play a lot of cruisers on them.

Speaking of, I broke down and FXP'd the last 70k of Seattle and welp

Its so much better it's absurd. I did go out well in Seattle (120k Arsonist, thanks to spawning perfectly on Sleeping Giant), but goddamn. Worcester just has so much more ability to really punish people and make them think twice about advancing. Like if you are even a slightly wounded BB you better be able to delete me in one shot because I will probably put 50k in you before you can reload.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i mean a couple of islands would be fine but these maps overdo it

As Yuro once put it, "islands are the game's skill barrier between unicums and scrublords". Without islands the game is just a RNG-based DPM race. If you don't like islands, it's probably because you're bad at the game :colbert:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

pokchu posted:

The most impressive thing is the draw, given how incredibly rare they are.

I’m guessing it was a standard battle with only carriers left at the end of the game time, with every other ship dead?

Your guessing would be correct. Our team finished off all the enemy teams ships other than the CV's with 2 BB's left alive, but our CV's were terrible and had lost all of their planes by that point while the enemy CV's were still flying full groups. The enemy CV's killed off both of our BB's because instead of trying to survive the last few minutes to win on points, they both charged the carriers, dying in the process before the CV's were even spotted. Chat was of course telling them to turn around before they started this. Neither BB even began to turn into the torpedo bomber runs so they were deleted in single strikes.

Time ran out before the enemy CV's could launch the strikes to find/kill our defenseless CV's so it was a draw.

SalmanBashi
Apr 4, 2007

I made the mistake of being overconfident and turning perpendicular to a montana who was not yet seen, and paid the appropriate price for such a brazen act.

3 hits for for 13,365 in my akizuki :negative:

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Do you not use priority target, not wiggle when the numbers go up, or just happened to get hit despite actively dodging? The former can still happen sometimes of course, but if it was either of the other two it's kinda on you.

When I die if I am angery at anyone it's normally my own team if they are all camping, not at the enemy who is quite right to shoot me. Even if my team is sucking, I should really notice that and adapt rather than sail out to die, but honestly I would rather just fight early and die in the hope my next game is better rather than join a crappy team in their dumb position.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Ducky should be played like a fire support CL if you're not divisioning, in all honesty. It may be fun to charge caps and machine gun the other DD, but getting back out without guaranteed support can be a challenge.

CBs over! FREEDOM! :dance: :toot:

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Bluntly, any BB landing 3 hits on a DD with AP, and all 3 being pens, is idiotic regardless of "well, they weren't positioned correctly." And Akizuki unfortunately looks like it's going to be entirely superseded by Kitakaze, unless you desperately want to keep a T8. T8s already get mostly T9/10 matches, so it's not like you lose much there, and you get far better speed as well as Akizuki's old concealment.

SalmanBashi
Apr 4, 2007

Darkrenown posted:

Do you not use priority target, not wiggle when the numbers go up, or just happened to get hit despite actively dodging? The former can still happen sometimes of course, but if it was either of the other two it's kinda on you.

When I die if I am angery at anyone it's normally my own team if they are all camping, not at the enemy who is quite right to shoot me. Even if my team is sucking, I should really notice that and adapt rather than sail out to die, but honestly I would rather just fight early and die in the hope my next game is better rather than join a crappy team in their dumb position.

I was mid wibble after turning away and disengaging from other DDs in the cap, he was unspotted prior. I saw the shells come in but couldn't wobble out in time to prevent the freak "3 shells combined into 1" rng group that ploughed into my arsehole. At least it happened at the start of the game and had the courtesy of empowering adrenaline rush.

I've only finished grinding the Aki up to the point where I have enough XP for the tier 9 when it comes out, it looks like it's going to be absolutely brutal with gunboat build so I'll be on that. I can forsee it being a bit of a fletcher vs gearing situation where the t9 might be more enjoyable to play than the harugumo since it'll be a bit faster and not as obese, though both look fun.

In other news, the T-61 is hilariously broken and is an absolute carrying machine.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

My kill record in a game up to now was 3. In this dumb T3 game it was a ridiculous number of DD's, so my damage numbers weren't good, but hell, I was actually hitting them and getting rid of the pesky buggers...

Of course... my first even Kraken cam on a loss.

Time ran out before they could kill me, it was 3 vs. 1. I think I had a 7th kill on the Emden but the game ended with my salvo in the air.

Edit: Is it wrong that pretty much every time I see a St. Louis now I just assume it's a seal clubber?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
E, nm

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

My patented WoWS technique is to boot up the game, lose a couple matches, continue playing out of stubborness, and then lose 10 matches in a row as I play increasingly poorly from frustration.

edit: hell yeah

Class Warcraft fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Aug 19, 2018

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

bloom posted:

ok but what is the downside?

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

SalmanBashi posted:

In other news, the T-61 is hilariously broken and is an absolute carrying machine.

Tell me about this, and what's the fun way to play it?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

DonkeyHotay posted:

Without the cruisers, the BB's would get stomped on by DD's.

Then everyone would play DD's and the gunboat DD's would win.

Then every match would have two carriers that would fly only fighter's and dive bombers just to permaspot every DD they can for their own DD's.

Thus, removing islands would promote more Sky Cancer gameplay :colbert:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Finally had an actual game that I would consider good (not just killing a bunch of low health DD's).

Starting to figure out things like not rushing ahead, angling my ship, and protecting a flank with an island. Also starting to actually hit stuff a lot more, which certainly helps.

The best part of this game was hammering the two enemy CV's into the drink, sadly the second one survived as the game ended while my second salvo was in flight.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

DonkeyHotay posted:

tell me about how you dislike cruisers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Seriously how do you have problem with cruisers? Apart from radar they're the least annoying class to play against.