Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

yeah all the GPS satellites do is basically transmit their time and ID. the receiver takes the different signals and computes where it is based on the time difference, given that all the GPS satellites have atomic clocks in them and each satellite's signal will show slightly different times due to the speed of light.

And while your mobile device can prefetch some information for a faster fix if you haven't used it in a while, that's an issue of "why do you have your phone on you".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

anthonypants posted:

i thought gps was mostly passive and didn't do any tracking or identification itself. like you send up a signal, and it sends some data back and you use that and triangulation and maths to tell how high up you are
it’s receive only, and the signal is extremely weak.

Kassad posted:

Would a device the size of a typical GPS receiver even be able to reach a satellite by radio?
there’s no reason it absolutely couldn’t but the receiving end would have to be pretty fancy.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

pretty sure they (claim to have) stopped including that functionality in the newer GPS satellites.

that's something you'd lie about and also could easily fix with a firmware update

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

that reminds me, do Curiosity and Opportunity and basically every other space robot cryptographically verify the commands they receive? or do they just rely on the fact that NASA has a Deep Space Network and you don't?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

spankmeister posted:

Yeah but the guest provider has to give you twice wholesale for data meaning 6 euro per GB (in 2018, this will get lower).
So if you pay 35 euro per month then you get (35/6) x 2 = 11.6 GB abroad.

i get 4 gb and pay 12 eur, so checks out

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i get 4 gb and pay 12 eur, so checks out

I've been thinking of getting an Eastern-European sim for cheap data here.

The weird thing about this roaming stuff is that if you're abroad and you get a call from your home country, you pay extra to receive that call. But if you place a call home it's your normal rate (which is usually free since most plans have unlimited minutes).

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

pseudorandom name posted:

that reminds me, do Curiosity and Opportunity and basically every other space robot cryptographically verify the commands they receive? or do they just rely on the fact that NASA has a Deep Space Network and you don't?

last i read the commands aren't signed, but any software update to the rover must be signed. and nasa+partners employs standard security precautions on access to any computer or network that can touch deep space network transmission.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

cheese-cube posted:

what the gently caress does that even mean?

when somebody is wondering about public wifi in some Parisian catacomb you don't need to barge in and say "my man have you tried LTE"

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

cheese-cube posted:

regarding cisco opinion depends entirely on context. if you only work...
  • with 6500s and 4500 ISRs running stable firmware in a mature environment: you'll think that cisco stuff is robust and secure

there aren't enough lols in the world

did you not live through the 2000s

cheese-cube posted:

• with 3560/2960s and 800/1900 ISRs running random firmware but in a SMB environment: you'll think that cisco is good enough, at least it doesn't break and the customer doesn't have the budget for security outside of an edge firewall so w/e

every new generation of 3560 or 29xx is another set of network-doom bugs

the first revision of 2960 firmware would flood the broadcast domain with garbage if you used the uplink port

"qa" is not a thing at cisco. that's not their job. quality is assured by customers finding bugs in the field.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
"if you just wait until all of the horrifying problems have been ironed out, cisco is great dawg"

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Cocoa Crispies posted:

algo is just scripts to set up IPSec
Right, but how do you know that +8000 lines of code generated into a machine code behaves the way that the code says that it's supposed to behave without necessarily triggering error states, and how do you know that one of the almost-100 commiters didn't add something a little extra?

Incidentally, setting up both site-to-site and l2tp/ipsec requires a lot less than 8000 lines of configuration (*) - so if it's only for people who wouldn't know what to do with an discussion about auditing software if it smacked them in the face, what's the use? Isn't it just a placebo band-aid at that point?

*: I think it requires less than 8000 keystrokes on FreeBSD nowadays, since NAT and IPSEC + _SUPPORT is in GENERIC nowadays and ipsec-tools is built with NAT-T; biggest "issue" is that ipsec-tools needs to be rebuilt with WCPSKEY turned on.

Rufus Ping posted:

Much of wg is formally verified
The author has a rather good paper on it, yes - but that's only half of the work, someone needs to arrive at the same conclusions that the author does, for the paper to be of any use to anyone - and there's currently one other paper citing it, and it isn't exactly a glowing recommendation.
And when I say audit, I don't mean the same way that OpenBSD has OpenBSD devs auditing their own code by reading it. I mean someone independent doing what I described and more in the first paragraph above.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

evil_bunnY posted:

there’s no reason it absolutely couldn’t but the receiving end would have to be pretty fancy.

epirb beacons don't have much more transmitting power than cell phones (i think the new small personal ones actually have less) and they're fairly easily receivable from space, although of course they're also transmitting on a single frequency.

anyway to the op paranoid about glonass capability in their smart watch - check the spec sheet of your phone, it'll almost certainly have it too, because most oem gps socs have it built in (as well as gallileo and the chinese one i can't remember the name of)

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

pseudorandom name posted:

that's something you'd lie about and also could easily fix with a firmware update

but not something that's even useful when your enemy has their own system. records say they switched off and didn't include the capability in newer sats which i'm inclined to believe. the point at which it would become a weapon in global conflict is the same point that we'd already be detonating nukes in the stratosphere to blackout BMDS for incoming RVs.

Cocoa Crispies posted:

when somebody is wondering about public wifi in some Parisian catacomb you don't need to barge in and say "my man have you tried LTE"

you dingus, this is more about assuaging someone before they barge into the dumbass catacomb you actual cretin.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

epirb beacons don't have much more transmitting power than cell phones (i think the new small personal ones actually have less) and they're fairly easily receivable from space, although of course they're also transmitting on a single frequency.

anyway to the op paranoid about glonass capability in their smart watch - check the spec sheet of your phone, it'll almost certainly have it too, because most oem gps socs have it built in (as well as gallileo and the chinese one i can't remember the name of)

beidou

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
the cool thing about gps satellites is the clocks run faster than clocks on earth because relativity causes them to appear to tick slower than they actually do to an observer on earth.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Mr. Nice! posted:

the cool thing about gps satellites is the clocks run faster than clocks on earth because relativity causes them to appear to tick slower than they actually do to an observer on earth.

literally the only engineering use of relativity outside of bang bang boom

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
hell, gps uses both special and general relativity to work

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

pretty sure they (claim to have) stopped including that functionality in the newer GPS satellites.

that seems like the kind of thing that doesn't require dedicated hardware and can just be patched in with software though, like all it does is twiddle with the timing data being transmitted

e: lol should have read farther

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

D. Ebdrup posted:

Right, but how do you know that +8000 lines of code generated into a machine code behaves the way that the code says that it's supposed to behave without necessarily triggering error states, and how do you know that one of the almost-100 commiters didn't add something a little extra?

Incidentally, setting up both site-to-site and l2tp/ipsec requires a lot less than 8000 lines of configuration (*) - so if it's only for people who wouldn't know what to do with an discussion about auditing software if it smacked them in the face, what's the use? Isn't it just a placebo band-aid at that point?

*: I think it requires less than 8000 keystrokes on FreeBSD nowadays, since NAT and IPSEC + _SUPPORT is in GENERIC nowadays and ipsec-tools is built with NAT-T; biggest "issue" is that ipsec-tools needs to be rebuilt with WCPSKEY turned on.

in my experience if you, someone who just wants a loving VPN to work, googles "how to set up ipsec," you find 800 different articles telling you 800 different ways to set up ipsec using 20 different pieces of software that all function differently than the version of software that comes on your OS. which of these options is the good one? what features do i turn on to be secure? why won't my macbook connect to it right?

so either you can trust yourself and all those different sources to piece together something that kinda-sorta works and might or might not be correctly set up by today's shifting definition of "correctly", or you can use something like algo or wireguard which does work and will handle what you're trying to do just fine but might in theory contain an issue nobody's noticed. like don't use it for any sort of critical business network or whatever but there's definitely something to be said for having it just loving work when all you want is to watch american netflix or avoid pervert joe at the coffee shop :shrug:

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

bob dobbs is dead posted:

literally the only engineering use of relativity outside of bang bang boom

that doesn't sound like it uses relativity, only that they had to engineer around a problem that relativity causes

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ymgve posted:

that doesn't sound like it uses relativity, only that they had to engineer around a problem that relativity causes

by that logic engineering doesn’t use any physics

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

ymgve posted:

he’s saying that gps is one of the very few instances in life that will ever actually need to take into account the effects of relativity.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

don't post right after each other your avatars are freaking me out

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

ate all the Oreos posted:

in my experience if you, someone who just wants a loving VPN to work, googles "how to set up ipsec," you find 800 different articles telling you 800 different ways to set up ipsec using 20 different pieces of software that all function differently than the version of software that comes on your OS. which of these options is the good one? what features do i turn on to be secure? why won't my macbook connect to it right?

so either you can trust yourself and all those different sources to piece together something that kinda-sorta works and might or might not be correctly set up by today's shifting definition of "correctly", or you can use something like algo or wireguard which does work and will handle what you're trying to do just fine but might in theory contain an issue nobody's noticed. like don't use it for any sort of critical business network or whatever but there's definitely something to be said for having it just loving work when all you want is to watch american netflix or avoid pervert joe at the coffee shop :shrug:
My infrastructure - except for one Macbook Pro and a Windows installation, both of which are mostly unused - is FreeBSD. If I need something, I look in the man-pages or look in the handbooks - but I'll grant you that this isn't about me.

So let's take anyone computer-savvy enough to post in YOSPOS: They probably have enough Google-fu and tech-savvy to know not search for very generic stuff like "how to set up ipsec" that's bound to return the least useful articles and preform basic source credibility evaluation on whether something is good before following it, if for some reason the documentation that their OS provides isn't good enough.
Besides which, unlike OpenVPN, WireGuard, Algo, SoftEther, and whatever else companies dream up to use for VPN configuration, establishing a connection to IPSec and L2TP/IPSec is built into just about every OS they could conceivably be using (all flavors and versions of Windows since NT4, macOS since OS 10, Linux since the 90s, the BSDs since the 90s, iOS since it came out, Android since it came out, etc).

So is algo or wireguard for the people who don't know what the gently caress a VPN, who run an execubtable that their IT department gave them, which sets it all up for them?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

D. Ebdrup posted:

So let's take anyone computer-savvy enough to post in YOSPOS: They probably have enough Google-fu and tech-savvy to know not search for very generic stuff like "how to set up ipsec" that's bound to return the least useful articles and preform basic source credibility evaluation on whether something is good before following it, if for some reason the documentation that their OS provides isn't good enough.
Besides which, unlike OpenVPN, WireGuard, Algo, SoftEther, and whatever else companies dream up to use for VPN configuration, establishing a connection to IPSec and L2TP/IPSec is built into just about every OS they could conceivably be using (all flavors and versions of Windows since NT4, macOS since OS 10, Linux since the 90s, the BSDs since the 90s, iOS since it came out, Android since it came out, etc).

So is algo or wireguard for the people who don't know what the gently caress a VPN, who run an execubtable that their IT department gave them, which sets it all up for them?

algo sets up IPSec (but not l2tp because it's apparently old and busted, grandpa) and it squirts out an apple profile that works on iOS and macOS, you should read about it, probably save you a lot of typing

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

IKEv2 pretty much works everywhere important but every vendor seems to make it way more complicated than it needs to be. StrongSwan actually makes it look simple. L2TP is just garbage, and to set it up on an Unix like platform is impressively crap.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
yeah algo is "that shell script i wrote to set up ipsec" but done via ansible and having different config steps for different server operating systems (freebsd, differnet linux distributions), and automatically generating keys, creating client configs for whatever systems you want, e.g. linux, windows, macos, ios, anroid, etc.

its not that this is hard, its just that it should rightly be automated if youre going to do it more than once, and algo is exactly that automation via a decent devops tool

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Kassad posted:

Would a device the size of a typical GPS receiver even be able to reach a satellite by radio?

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/13745

This is the only hobby satellite transceiver I've seen, and it's pretty small. This thing is bigger than it needs to be for a few reasons, primarily the fact that the actual radio is in a shielded module (probably partially for FCC reasons, like it needing to be EMI compliant in any hobbyist device or something), but also because it has support circuitry and a big ol patch antenna. The antenna on there is the same size as a lot of standalone GPS antennas (phones use smaller ones, like chip antennas, which I assume are trickier to get to work correctly)

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

there aren't enough lols in the world

did you not live through the 2000s

every new generation of 3560 or 29xx is another set of network-doom bugs

the first revision of 2960 firmware would flood the broadcast domain with garbage if you used the uplink port

"qa" is not a thing at cisco. that's not their job. quality is assured by customers finding bugs in the field.

he's right tho, there was a time where stability was a real thing and CISCO had crazy concepts like "recommended releases"

It used to be a case of "if you're running the recommended release, and you avoid x y z features, you're gonna be OK." This was a philosophy that worked for many years and is the reason you had guys in 2012 still staying away from things like VSS or quad-sup redundancy because it was considered too risky.

this also worked because the CISCO product line, for a time, was very compact for that space. A lot of development and support went into a relatively small amount of hardware. Remember when you could use the bug toolkit and it was actually helpful?

this isn't exclusively a CISCO problem either, it's basically all networking companies at the moment and it sucks pretty bad. networking is in a real bad space from an operational standpoint right now.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Cocoa Crispies posted:

but not l2tp because it's apparently old and busted, grandpa
L2TP/IPSec is RFC3193 with L2TP providing authentication (in the AAA sense) and IPSec providing the integrity and confidentiality.
And if you do it via FreeBSDs netgraph framework (which mpd5 makes easy), you can do it basically as fast as whatever link you're on allows you to send the traffic (I've seen +3Mpps, easily enough for bi-directional 1/1Gbps) - plus, it can be multipathed over multiple links.

EDIT: Look, it's fine that you (now) have something that lets you turn off your brain. I set this up over a decade ago, and have been using it since, since it lets me have some idea of what's happening on my system, that's all. I don't think others should necessarily be deprived of that because there's something new and fancy out there.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Aug 20, 2018

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

D. Ebdrup posted:

I set this up over a decade ago, and have been using it since

post your cipher suites

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

D. Ebdrup posted:

EDIT: Look, it's fine that you (now) have something that lets you turn off your brain. I set this up over a decade ago, and have been using it since, since it lets me have some idea of what's happening on my system, that's all. I don't think others should necessarily be deprived of that because there's something new and fancy out there.

the gentoo user has logged on

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

so how do you pronounce gentoo anyway

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Rufus Ping posted:

post your cipher suites

SSL1_RSA64_WITH_CAESAR_ECB

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Raere posted:

so how do you pronounce gentoo anyway

It’s pronounced:

gently caress you, just use CentOS instead you goddamn neckbeard.

HTH?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
little caesar’s ciphersuite

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
lol if you aint running TempleOS

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

spit on my clit posted:

lol if you aint running TempleGrandinOS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Cocoa Crispies posted:

little caesar’s ciphersuite

Something something bit slicing

• Locked thread