Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Would that be based on the venue or the band?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
It's almost always the tour promoter who arranges access for press/photogs/randoms. The venue might have their own rules, but if you are on a list that the promoter has given them, those won't apply to you. If you want pre- or post-concert access to the performers, then that has to be cleared with the promoter and not the venue.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
not to rain on your idea, it definitely feels worth pursuing and it could be a good learning experience but...

from my limited knowledge of APC's live shows I'd say don't expect to get very many great shots if you haven't done a lot of concert photography before now. I feel like they are on the "very experienced" end of the difficulty to shoot curve primarily because Maynard seems to have a preference to standing at the back of the stage in the shadows away from the rest of the band. Honestly if someone offered me a photo pass for one of their shows I'd probably just pass or make sure they're aware that I might not have any photos I'm comfortable sharing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fw3O1YBDaXk

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

That's great advice too ... seriously prepare to be disappointed at the beginning and practice as much as you can.

Soulex posted:

Would that be based on the venue or the band?
Kind of both ... but the issue here is that APC is huge, the promoter is your only chance at getting contact with someone who can make a decision.

For small bands I contact them directly on Facebook if I suspect I might need permission. Works more often than not.

That said, when I got a Sony RX100 -- a compact camera with a good sensor for dark photos -- I stopped asking and just took that with me to all shows.

Unfortunately I broke it so I'll need to start clearing my bigger camera again. I don't know how it is elsewhere, but the general rule in Toronto is that cameras with detachable lenses need to be cleared.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jan 12, 2018

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
also, depending on your commitment and what gear you're hoping to shoot with you can just go early and shoot from general admission. I didn't have a photo pass for any of my U2 shots, they were all from the crowd. You can do it it just means committing to getting to the line early enough to be front row, and it likely means bringing a camera without a detachable lens or figuring out if you can sneak it in. I shot a lot of shows the last few years with my x100t and I was able to just carry it in around my neck without ever being hassled. no guarantees about APC though, they may have much stricter policies in place due to the nature of their shows/audience.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Random recent one ... finally caught up on my old photos. Switched to Lightroom CC and have so far deleted ~80 GB of lovely blurry/darl RAW band photos.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Soulex posted:

How hard is it to get photography credentials as a student? It's not for a class but part of a project I'm working on that I'm, going to do with the university. I do not intend to sell the photos at all, or release them to news or whatever. I'm a comm major that used to be a photography major, but I'll be switching back soon.

A Perfect Circle is playing here in a few months, and Maynard has always been super inspirational to me. APC as a whole has.

The project is about the identity issues veterans face when leaving service. Maynard was in the military too so it would be cool to see him through a lens. I want to shoot some concert photography but have no idea who to talk to about it.

Go promoter and maybe venue, if you don't get a reply.

Honestly though, don't get your hopes up. Your request will never get through to the band, as it'll be filtered through promoter and PR before management would even hear about it, and they're unlikely to go for it. Add in that Maynard is really, really against photographers in general (for Tool shows I've shot, he's always been at the back of the stage with zero light during the allowed songs, and for the latest time around here we were made to shoot from the sound desk rather than the pit) and I don't think APC has much of a different policy.

If Maynard had any social media presence, you could try arranging it that way. Maybe through his winery pages? The more direct contact with the band you could get the better considering the personal/non-media matter, but given how reclusive he is on the internet it's a crap shoot.

E:well gently caress missed the entire page of people basically saying this post. Good luck though!

I, Butthole fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jan 12, 2018

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

MMD3 posted:

also, depending on your commitment and what gear you're hoping to shoot with you can just go early and shoot from general admission. I didn't have a photo pass for any of my U2 shots, they were all from the crowd. You can do it it just means committing to getting to the line early enough to be front row, and it likely means bringing a camera without a detachable lens or figuring out if you can sneak it in. I shot a lot of shows the last few years with my x100t and I was able to just carry it in around my neck without ever being hassled. no guarantees about APC though, they may have much stricter policies in place due to the nature of their shows/audience.

Thanks everyone. I’ll see if I can find something on their website or get in contact with someone on social media.

Maynard has a very strict “no photography” policy but that applies to the audience. He wants people to take the moment in. I’ve been to two shows of his and I loved it. I’m not particular to just getting him, everyone in the band is equal. I especially was influenced by Friedl as a drummer as a young kid. I’ve seen people get kicked out for not obeying the photography rule. So I can’t guerilla it. I wouldn’t want preshow stuff because that’s when I would be moving into territory where I would be selfish instead of professional. I would love nothing more than have that unrestricted access, but that’s because I’m a such a believer of the band, and Maynard.

My gear is canon 5d mk iii with a 70-200 2.8L II. I’m not inexperienced as a photographer, just dark concert photography. I know enough to probably get passable shots, but nothing among you guys.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I’m not getting my hopes up, it’s just one of those “I wonder if?” And knowing the worst answer is “no.” What’s to lose? All to gain.

Father O'Blivion
Jul 2, 2004
Get up on your feet and do the Funky Alfonzo
In an effort to produce the worst photos possible, I've been attempting to shoot bands at the local venue without flash. The ones below are Gold 400 pushed to 3200, F1.4-2, bleach bypass.

Edit:

One more in tri-x @ 3200; 45 minute semi-stand in rodinal 1+50

Father O'Blivion fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jan 12, 2018

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I never use flash at concerts. It really pisses off the performers. Ronan Harris of VNV Nation once took a few minutes out of his set to yell at me specifically because the autofocus lamp on my old 350D was distracting him. If I'd actually been using flash, he'd probably have had me kicked out.

Basically, I figure the stage lights are going to fall nicely for me or they aren't, if they do then the flash isn't going to add a lot at the relatively slow speeds I'd be shooting at. if they don't, then I'm not going to get a usable shot regardless of my flash.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Lol Ronan ha only yelled at me specifically for being tired and not dancing hard enough.

I don't think I'll ever go back to VNV Nation though. Too many sketchy rumours.

They happened to be my very first attempt at concert photography: https://flic.kr/p/6EZT7m

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

Soulex posted:

Thanks everyone. I’ll see if I can find something on their website or get in contact with someone on social media.

Soulex posted:

I’m not getting my hopes up, it’s just one of those “I wonder if?” And knowing the worst answer is “no.” What’s to lose? All to gain.

Reach out to the region-appropriate publicist/press contact as listed on their about page: https://www.facebook.com/pg/aperfectcircle/about/

I would imagine that getting no answer at all would be the worst that could happen, but best of luck.

interpunct fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jan 12, 2018

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

interpunct posted:

Reach out to the region-appropriate publicist/press contact as listed on their about page: https://www.facebook.com/pg/aperfectcircle/about/

I would imagine that getting no answer at all would be the worst that could happen, but best of luck.

Thanks. Did this.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
As a performer, and photographer, I hate flashes. My pedal board says "gently caress your flash!" facing the audience. I give flashers one polite warning before I'm going to start either calling you out from the stage, start kicking beer cans, or throwing a guitar at you depending on severity of the infraction. IE those motherfuckers who have the remote flash, and put it right in my face while I'm looking down trying to turn on/off pedals, it's incredibly disorienting.

So yeah, don't use a flash.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
Didn't realize Josh Homme is a goon

Sharizard
Jun 15, 2009

Pokey Araya posted:

So yeah, don't use a flash.

There's a few photographers in my city that just assume that since they're at a punk rock show, that they can just pop off the flash all willy-nilly. They get some good pics, sure... But sometimes I wonder how many of the bands secretly want to tell the photographers to chill with the flash. I really hope they ask the bands before hand, but I doubt it.

Thankfully I haven't seen any photographers pop off rapid shots with the flash. That'd be insane.

Runaway Legs
Oct 11, 2012

Not a hat
Fun Shoe

Sharizard posted:

There's a few photographers in my city that just assume that since they're at a punk rock show, that they can just pop off the flash all willy-nilly. They get some good pics, sure... But sometimes I wonder how many of the bands secretly want to tell the photographers to chill with the flash. I really hope they ask the bands before hand, but I doubt it.

This is anecdotal, but I'm one of those guys. In basements or squats with lovely lighting I'll use a flash. I always check with the bands. Almost every band gives me the ok and, in my experience, most of them appreciate me being there. I keep my flashing to a minimum and, of course, no means no. Even if they gave me the thumbs up before the show.
Been doing this for a long time and nowadays I'm more concerned about not ruining the show for the audience than I am for the band.
Also, as a performer myself I never do poo poo that would bother me, like getting up on stage or planting my feet and hogging the space up front. Get your shot and keep moving. Having cool live photos to use on flyers, websites, in zines and on social media more than weighs up for what I experience as a mild annoyance while I scream unintelligible at drunk punks.

Content:

La Casa Fantom

https://lacasafantom.bandcamp.com

Negativ

https://negativ1010.bandcamp.com

Paranoid

https://pndftw.bandcamp.com/

Vitamin X

https://vitaminx.bandcamp.com

Sharizard
Jun 15, 2009

HatJudge posted:

This is anecdotal, but I'm one of those guys. In basements or squats with lovely lighting I'll use a flash. I always check with the bands. Almost every band gives me the ok and, in my experience, most of them appreciate me being there. I keep my flashing to a minimum and, of course, no means no. Even if they gave me the thumbs up before the show.

Thanks for your perspective. I assume you have a good rep with folks in the scene for being a cool dude on top of knowing how to handle yourself while photographing. I figured that in basement shows flash is a requirement, and that makes sense. When I wrote my post, I was thinking more context of small / mid-sized bars where the available light is manageable for the most part. (It's been a while since I've been to a DIY show.) I also agree that audience enjoyment is priority. Being polite is cool.

I guess it just comes down to asking for permission to use flash. Even if they say no, at least you're able to introduce yourself to a band, so that isn't so bad. I tend to run on the assumption that bands'll be like "yeah" when I ask, but secretly think "nah". It's probably my own anxieties about being annoying fueling that idea.

Runaway Legs
Oct 11, 2012

Not a hat
Fun Shoe
I've been involved with the scene long enough that if the bands don't know me, most promoters do, which makes it easier to show up at a concert and ask if it's ok that I take some pictures. Now and again bands will message me to see if I'm going to their show, but most of the time I just show up at the door, pay the cover charge and hope to get a couple of keepers. I like to think of my role more as a historian than a photographer building a portfolio, if that makes sense? I really enjoy it when I can shoot a local band at their first gig. A lot of times it's their last as well, and it's fun to freeze that moment in time. And if it ain't their last show,being able to follow their evolution is such a privilege. Going through my archives I can see crusty dreadlocks grow out and fall off or pinpoint the exact year when that one guy finally threw out his ratty Gauze shirt.

There's an entire generation of DIY bands that just got lost in the time period between when most people stopped shooting film and digital/phones got good enough to print. I'm pretty sure that the majority of those photos disappeared when myspace died. Today anyone with a phone can take awesome photos. Sadly, most of them sink to the bottom of a facebook feed, never to be seen again. I like to think that me and my fellow strobe heads can be a counter weight to that.

In a perfect world, every show would have decent enough house lights that a flash wouldn't be necessary. But at smaller venues lights are rarely a priority. More often than not they're set up once and never touched again until something breaks. When I'm on stage I find it way more distracting - and all to common - to have a couple of par cans burning a hole in my retinas than a bunch of nerds popping their flashes at me. But I'm just singing, and taller than average. People with instruments probably have another take on that. So even if there's lights pointed at the stage there's a case for using flash to fill the gaps in a lovely setup.

As for anxiety, I feel ya. Been fighting that all my life. But the camera does wonders for me. I have a reason to be there, even if I'm not playing. I have a reason to talk to people, even when I feel like the most awkward idiot in the room. And most people are super happy when I send them the photos from the gig. So just ask if it's ok. The people who think "nah" will let you know - usually in a polite way, like Pokey Araya said - unless you decide to be a dick about it.

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.
Brought my 35mm 1.8 down to my mate's open mic. Mostly singer songwriters so it was hard to get a photo without a microphone stand smack in the middle of someone's face but I did get these two shots. One keeper and one where I think the shadows are interesting but overall not that engaging.

Excessive grain is from super high ISOs, not wilful Lightroom processing!

Nigel Tufnel fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Feb 5, 2018

Father O'Blivion
Jul 2, 2004

Father O'Blivion
Jul 2, 2004

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Most of my shots of a local band last night were not very good at all but the guy on the bottom right here makes this one for me. Was trying out rear sync shots.

Bang3r
Oct 26, 2005

killed me.
tore me to pieces.
threw every piece into a fire.
Fun Shoe

MMD3 posted:

I took more U2 photos in 2017... went to 7 shows on the Joshua Tree tour. Here are some favorites.

Can you actually get hosed?

These are stellar dude! I haven't shot music for so long I really need to get back into it.

Father O'Blivion
Jul 2, 2004

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Napalm Death at the tiny metal club around the corner from my apartment.

IMG_0264.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_0370.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_0578.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_0470.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Medium Format (Arax, Volna 80mm, Ilford XP2 Super)

Arax014.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Arax023.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Been asked to select a few Florence and the Machine photos for a possible print for a friend, any feedback on these? Having trouble narrowing it down to three, although I'm pretty sure the B+W one is out.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

I, Butthole posted:

Been asked to select a few Florence and the Machine photos for a possible print for a friend, any feedback on these? Having trouble narrowing it down to three, although I'm pretty sure the B+W one is out.

"Print" like in a magazine or like a print for their wall? The first and last ones are the best. However the first one would probably print better in a magazine. The last one would look rad in a large print but you gotta make sure to use a decent printer or expect to do a bunch of reprints to manage color casts in that much darkness.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
#1, #2, #5. Brighten up her face in #2.

Edit: crop out the shoulder of the person in the background of #1. Are you restricted to a specific aspect ratio?

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Mar 17, 2018

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

ExecuDork posted:

#1, #2, #5. Brighten up her face in #2.

Edit: crop out the shoulder of the person in the background of #1. Are you restricted to a specific aspect ratio?

It's for an A3 size or so (12x18 or 16) to hang on a wall. Pretty sure the person is keen on #1. I'll play around with the crop tonight.

Printer is sorted, there's a great one in my town that's been going for years and I've had nothing but fantastic results with them.

Sharizard
Jun 15, 2009

I wanna keep this thread from getting archived!

Woodhull @ Quenchers Saloon by Shara Miller, on Flickr

TV Moms @ D.C. Torium by Shara Miller, on Flickr

Has anyone done any band portraits lately? It's something I'm still hesitant about doing, because I have don't have enough experience with properly directing people during sessions. I end up conceding concept ideas to the band and letting them guide themselves. This feels like the wrong way to go about it.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
Are you talking about press photos of the entire band? Or individual portraits? If it's a press photo, put them against a high contracting back round, shoot it in black and white, and make sure the image is still intelligible at a 3x3ish small image. Believe it or not, tons of press photos still get printed in local magazines/papers, and it helps if you/they know that's about how most of them will end up.

Sharizard
Jun 15, 2009

I'm talking promo photos of an entire band. Majority of the bands I work with are small local bands.

So far, I've had three shoots in different non-studio locations. Most of the shots I've taken so far have only been used for online related promos for local shows on FB / Instagram / various websites. But sometimes a band would use photos to put on flyers or in their album art. I'd say it's about an 80/20 ratio.

I'll keep the background stuff in mind. I think that's one of my weak points outside of guiding and posing people. Thumbnailing a photo for readability is a good idea, and I've never considered doing that.

indyrenegade
Apr 5, 2018

and that man's name? ENRICO FERMI
Here's my mediocre band photography

This one's super grainy and dark (the lighting here was basically lamps on the ground) but I'm happy with the eye contact

Same set; better lighting due to where I was standing

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Ness Creek Folk Music Festival 2018.
The workshop stage at Ness Creek 2018 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

The Great Fuss
The Great Fuss at Ness Creek 2018-0006 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
The Great Fuss at Ness Creek 2018-0007 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
The Great Fuss at Ness Creek 2018-0010 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
The Great Fuss at Ness Creek 2018-0015 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
The Great Fuss at Ness Creek 2018-0016 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
The Great Fuss at Ness Creek 2018-0020 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
The Great Fuss at Ness Creek 2018-0026 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
I got to try this concert photography a few months ago:

Påls butikk:
Påls butikk by Eivind Hauger, on Flickr

Maroder:
Maroder-126 by Eivind Hauger, on Flickr

Oslo Ess:
Børst & Ball 2017 by Eivind Hauger, on Flickr

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Hah, this is fantastic.

I'd consider converting to b&w to mitigate the blurring a bit, but still, great shot & moment.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
More from the music festival.
Many Nations Dance Troupe Pow Wow at Ness Creek 2018-0004 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Many Nations Dance Troupe Pow Wow at Ness Creek 2018-0007 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Many Nations Dance Troupe Pow Wow at Ness Creek 2018-0009 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Many Nations Dance Troupe Pow Wow at Ness Creek 2018-0013 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Many Nations Dance Troupe Pow Wow at Ness Creek 2018-0014 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Many Nations Dance Troupe Pow Wow at Ness Creek 2018-0028 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Many Nations Dance Troupe Pow Wow at Ness Creek 2018-0036 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED
Pushing some HP5+ to 3200 again.
img431 by Rob Swackhamer Productions, on Flickr
img452 by Rob Swackhamer Productions, on Flickr
img456 by Rob Swackhamer Productions, on Flickr