Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

"Vader was seduced by the dark side of the Force."

Padme confirmed Dark Sider

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
New rumour: Rey's mother will appear in Episode IX (probably played by Keri Russell) and the revelation will be that Luke was indeed her father all along.

Disclaimer: the source of this rumour is the Daily Express, which seems to be responsible for about half of the news results about Star Wars on Google, and all of their articles on Star Wars are written by one guy (Stefan Kyriazis) who reports everything Mike Zeroh says as fact and seems to write about nothing other than Star Wars and how Kathleen Kennedy must resign immediately despite being their arts editor.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Mooey Cow posted:

Kids loved the prequels. Since they were children, they obviously had no reason to go all "George Lucas raped my childhood :qq: " and could enjoy the fart jokes.

Here's a pretty good video about a little kid watching episode 1 for the first time. Don't let the title fool you, poo poo ain't mixed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGd4TSg2xN4

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
If only everyone had the brain of a small child who likes backflips and poopy jokes

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Preston Waters posted:

If only everyone had the brain of a small child who likes backflips and poopy jokes

wow, check out this guy who thinks he's too good for backflips and poop jokes

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Preston Waters posted:

Don't sign your posts

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Blast Fantasto posted:

Just want to take a step back: Star Wars toys had nothing to do with Toys R Us going out of business. They did a terrible leveraged buy out deal that made it basically impossible for them to get out of debt.

What I've read said it was a bit more complicated than that.

They were in a pretty rough leveraged buyout, but they were actually managing... until last year, when they had an unusually bad Christmas. Buyout terms meant they couldn't take a weaker year, and that's all she wrote.

If things had just been up to the usual Christmas standards, they'd have been fine, and The Last Jedi's failure to interest kids was a part of why Christmas sales were bad.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I recall Hasbro saying that their licensed toy sales were down across the board last year but their in-house brands did better than expected. That said, I don't know how the toy business works, so whatever. I imagine kids are more into iPhones than toys in any event now and that's where they've missed a trick; they haven't rolled out a really popular Star Wars app. That would keep people enthused.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

I recall Hasbro saying that their licensed toy sales were down across the board last year but their in-house brands did better than expected. That said, I don't know how the toy business works, so whatever. I imagine kids are more into iPhones than toys in any event now and that's where they've missed a trick; they haven't rolled out a really popular Star Wars app. That would keep people enthused.

galaxy of heroes makes good money from what i recall hearing, even though it's pretty crap even by 'licensed gacha phone game' standards

e: just checked, it's currently at #17 on the android store's 'top grossing' chart, that ain't nothing to sneeze at

Brother Entropy fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Aug 16, 2018

Top Gun
Oct 24, 2017

Wheat Loaf posted:

New rumour: Rey's mother will appear in Episode IX (probably played by Keri Russell) and the revelation will be that Luke was indeed her father all along.

Disclaimer: the source of this rumour is the Daily Express, which seems to be responsible for about half of the news results about Star Wars on Google, and all of their articles on Star Wars are written by one guy (Stefan Kyriazis) who reports everything Mike Zeroh says as fact and seems to write about nothing other than Star Wars and how Kathleen Kennedy must resign immediately despite being their arts editor.

That would probably be the most satisfying conclusion to Rey’s arc and what JJ was hinting at in Force Awakens when she touched the lightsaber and flashed through Lukes life. The only other thing that could be inferred from that scene was that she was a clone made out of Luke’s severed hand like in the Thrawn novels. Which would explain why she saw a flashback of bespin and Luke screaming and why force awakens was originally going to open with the hand holding the lightsaber floating through space. However this may be too strange for the casual audience although I personally am ok with it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Brilliant fan theory: Keri Russell will be playing the real Rey and the Rey we have been following in the past two movies is in fact a failed clone called Reey.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 216 days!
Those rumours sound like a competition to see who can come up with the lamest plot twist.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Everyone died when the FO attacked the cantina, they've been in Purgatory ever since.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Hodgepodge posted:

Those rumours sound like a competition to see who can come up with the lamest plot twist.

this but this thread

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Bruceski posted:

Everyone died when the FO attacked the cantina, they've been in Purgatory ever since.

They actually all died on that transport ship above endor.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Ema Nymton posted:

I keep trying to explain this to my older brother, but he insists that TRU died solely because of their high prices. Their financial situation is probably why they marked everything up, making the prices both a cause and effect.
As I understand it, a simplified version of what happened to Toys R Us is:

• Vulture investors take on large debt in order to buy controlling interest in TRU
• The terms of the deal require TRU to pay back the investors, plus fees, plus gently caress-you money. The only way to do this is for TRU to take on more debt of its own
• TRU is hollowed out because all the money coming in is needed to service its debts rather than investing in its own future
• TRU can't afford to discount product, making it lose market ground to competitors
• The debt becomes unserviceable, and TRU declares bankruptcy
• Vultures have already departed with all the money, and there's probably a clause that forces TRU to pay a percentage of anything it makes from liquidation to them too as a final gently caress you
• Thousands of TRU employees lose their jobs, creditors are screwed out of money owed to them - but hey, the investors have made millions for doing nothing but running a going concern into the ground. Yay capitalism!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Payndz posted:

As I understand it, a simplified version of what happened to Toys R Us is:

Well, actually, I think it's much more likely that Star Wars toys failed because Kathleen Kennedy is an SJW who must resign immediately, actually.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Wheat Loaf posted:

Well, actually, I think it's much more likely that Star Wars toys failed because Kathleen Kennedy is an SJW who must resign immediately, actually.

She killed Luke Skywalker, Han Solo and Geoffrey the Giraffe!

Top Gun
Oct 24, 2017

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

She killed Luke Skywalker, Han Solo and Geoffrey the Giraffe!

What if I told you the Walt Disney Company is now under the influence of a Sith Lord called...Kathleen Kennedy!

She also blocked James Gunn from coming back so she can replace him with a female director who will make the plot of Guardians 3 be about a feminist cyborg uprising lsd by Nebula.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Top Gun posted:

What if I told you the Walt Disney Company is now under the influence of a Sith Lord called...Kathleen Kennedy!

She also blocked James Gunn from coming back so she can replace him with a female director who will make the plot of Guardians 3 be about a feminist cyborg uprising lsd by Nebula.

since he was making pedo jokes, they should let a 10 year old direct Guardians 3

it's the only way to be sure that the critics are placated

Question Friend
Aug 3, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Mooey Cow posted:

Kids loved the prequels. Since they were children, they obviously had no reason to go all "George Lucas raped my childhood :qq: " and could enjoy the fart jokes.

I was a kid when I saw Attack of the Clones and didn't like it at all

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Top Gun posted:

The gungans get flak for being annoying and obnoxious, being blatant stereotypes of black people, and ruining Star Wars with lines like “Yousa in BIG DOODOO this time!”

Which characteristics of the Gungans do you believe are 'blatant stereotypes of black people?'

poolside toaster
Jul 12, 2008

HookedOnChthonics posted:

Which characteristics of the Gungans do you believe are 'blatant stereotypes of black people?'

Obviously the big floppy ears and living underwater part.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

poolside toaster posted:

Obviously the big floppy ears and living underwater part.

Prehensile tongue and the three-toed feet, actually.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

Preston Waters posted:

So a remake of the prequel films?

Also I'm not sure how everything from the OT was invalidated? They had 35 years of peace and would have had it for far longer had the New Republic kept their military up to snuff and held the Imperial remnants to the treaty they signed.

The most charitable interpretation of the New Republic as depicted in the film is that it is an even more impotent and amoral version of the Old Republic. The new EU material is (unintentionally) pretty clear that the end of the Empire has made the galaxy an objectively worse place.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Nude Bog Lurker posted:

The most charitable interpretation of the New Republic as depicted in the film is that it is an even more impotent and amoral version of the Old Republic. The new EU material is (unintentionally) pretty clear that the end of the Empire has made the galaxy an objectively worse place.

i mean if you're into the whole nazi resurgence thing, I could see that I guess

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Preston Waters posted:

i mean if you're into the whole nazi resurgence thing, I could see that I guess

Oh, those people are being catered to by the First Order. Have been for some time. It's the people who want some level of stability or cultural continuity who most miss Palpatine.

Also the people who didn't like having their planets exploded. After all, the Empire only destroyed one.

When Palpatine looks like a possible improvement, you have made a mistake somewhere. Many mistakes.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Given that the movies have given us a situation where a new empire is rising and out to conquer the galaxy, and Luke Skywalker and Han Solo's initial reactions are *shrug* "Not my problem", you have to assume the New Republic didn't have much going for it.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

chiasaur11 posted:

Oh, those people are being catered to by the First Order. Have been for some time. It's the people who want some level of stability or cultural continuity who most miss Palpatine.

Also the people who didn't like having their planets exploded. After all, the Empire only destroyed one.

When Palpatine looks like a possible improvement, you have made a mistake somewhere. Many mistakes.

The new EU material makes it pretty clear that a large portion of the First Order's propaganda is basically "nobody said the Empire was nice but at least the trains ran on time and your hometown wasn't burned down by pirates three times a year".

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

chiasaur11 posted:

some level of stability or cultural continuity

Nude Bog Lurker posted:

at least the trains ran on time

I think the Empire was probably really good at the nuts and bolts of stability, especially coming off the Biggest War Ever Fought. Nobody lacked food at least not in the areas that would hamper the Empire politically, everyone was banded together under one flag (loved the propaganda videos set to an upbeat imperial march theme in Solo), and things were probaaly just fine for people like Random Walking Extra #39 and #219 because they were able to go about their lives, work their jobs, and feed their families. Just like our reality, the cops are still total dickheads but people will always immediately ask "What did they 'do' to get accosted and shot at?" without thinking they may be next in front of that rifle because, afterall, "they" aren't breaking the law (today).

Angry Salami posted:

*shrug* "Not my problem"

Was Solo and Luke getting a taste of regular-rear end life. No sexy bounty hunting, no drudgery of moisture farming, no debts to gangsters, no fight scenes, and no galactic wars and being worshiped as war heroes; then wondering if it was ever worth rocking the boat when you and most people in the galaxy have a house, ship, money, a spice and deathstick connect, and wizard rear end podracing on TV. Life is good. poo poo starts to suck when we gently caress with that.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Dishwasher posted:

I think the Empire was probably really good at the nuts and bolts of stability, especially coming off the Biggest War Ever Fought. Nobody lacked food at least not in the areas that would hamper the Empire politically, everyone was banded together under one flag (loved the propaganda videos set to an upbeat imperial march theme in Solo), and things were probaaly just fine for people like Random Walking Extra #39 and #219 because they were able to go about their lives, work their jobs, and feed their families. Just like our reality, the cops are still total dickheads but people will always immediately ask "What did they 'do' to get accosted and shot at?" without thinking they may be next in front of that rifle because, afterall, "they" aren't breaking the law (today).

Was Solo and Luke getting a taste of regular-rear end life. No sexy bounty hunting, no drudgery of moisture farming, no debts to gangsters, no fight scenes, and no galactic wars and being worshiped as war heroes; then wondering if it was ever worth rocking the boat when you and most people in the galaxy have a house, ship, money, a spice and deathstick connect, and wizard rear end podracing on TV. Life is good. poo poo starts to suck when we gently caress with that.

By all evidence, the Empire is just the Old Republic, post dictatorial takeover. Whatever infrastructure it had likely carried over, like the Senate did until it was dissolved before they started blowing planets up. Up until New Hope, nobody outside of a few people and a lot of newly declared unpeople knew what was going on, and after New Hope, it lasted what, a few years fully out as evil before being knocked over at Endor?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Top Gun posted:

No joke, I would watch the poo poo out of that movie.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

thrawn527 posted:

No joke, I would watch the poo poo out of that movie.

Probably the feminist liberation movement would be the villains because they also like to kill puppies or something

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

It would have been cool if...

Im TLJ Snoke ended up just being a sith hologram/holocron from long ago. He could still use the force but was bound to the holocron. For the throne room scene he would have possessed a host (probably some kind of intimidating trooper in full-faced helmet and armor) and battled Kylo & Rey. Maybe the holocron gets destroyed in the end. This would have wrapped up Snoke neatly, added to the world building (we see the dark-side version of Yoda & Obi-Wan-style force ghosts) and set up a juxtaposition of Snoke's cruel possession vs Luke's heroic projection.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Im TLJ Snoke ended up just being a sith hologram/holocron from long ago. He could still use the force but was bound to the holocron. For the throne room scene he would have possessed a host (probably some kind of intimidating trooper in full-faced helmet and armor) and battled Kylo & Rey. Maybe the holocron gets destroyed in the end. This would have wrapped up Snoke neatly, added to the world building (we see the dark-side version of Yoda & Obi-Wan-style force ghosts) and set up a juxtaposition of Snoke's cruel possession vs Luke's heroic projection.

That sounds risky. Better to have him be a random, unexplained force user with no motivation except evil and quickly kill him off to keep the plot feeling like its moving even though its completely stalled

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

i was hoping he was actually 50 feet tall

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

cuntman.net posted:

i was hoping he was actually 50 feet tall

Either of these work for me.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
They went with the lamest possible option and made Snoke like 10% larger than a normal human.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Bigger Snoke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

SMERSH Mouth posted:

You want sentient holograms in STar Wars?

I mean personally I'd loving love it. Have Rey be a clone created from Anakin's tissue that Palpatine meant to insert his brain into when he got too old; she fell off the back of the clone truck during the Battle of Jakku and thinks she's just been there "her whole life." Have galactic politics turn out to be a long chess match between technology-based Sith holograms and Jedi "ghosts" from the psi-web. They'd never, ever do anything close to that awesome but whatever.