Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Strong Sauce posted:

i still have the foot but want to know what type of glue i need to apply to it. apparently apple's guide recommends something from loctite. i think i'm just going to use the glue i had to repair some ceramic bowl for it though.

Any cyanoacrylate based glue will work fine (SuperGlue, Locktite, etc...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

BobHoward posted:

You'll get a lot more out of higher core count processors if your applications support and use a lot of threads. I'd kinda expect Photoshop to do that, particularly when running computationally intensive filters. However, I don't know that, so don't take it as truth. No idea about Illustrator.

Last I heard, all of Adobe's stuff is notoriously single-thread limited.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

It's an Asus Chromebook Flip and it only has USB-C ports

Imagine dealing with this dongle hellscape for something that wasn't MacOS.

Although a Chromebook might be alright since it's not like you're going to find drivers for any hardware you want to plug it into anyway.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Wulfolme posted:

Last I heard, all of Adobe's stuff is notoriously single-thread limited.

Not only that, but there are articles out there that stress getting a faster CPU over more cores with Photoshop. Something about diminishing returns with higher core count, like a quad core is only 25% faster than a standard dual core in Photoshop.

One article even goes so far to say that your best bet is a hexacore machine but only so you can run apps other than photoshop for efficiency.

Also seen a lot of people poo poo on Premiere Pro being the same way.

tl;dr: Adobe has horrible Mac programmers

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Photoshop is also an ancient codebase and while a lot of image manipulation tasks are embarrassingly parallel, effectively multi-threading a task with a big shared state is going to cause cache contention. Expecting even an embarrassingly parallel workload to scale linearly with core count should only be reserved for extremely high performance code where programmers have exact control over which thread runs on which core (and awareness of the underlying memory architecture and caching model) so as to not evict your neighbour's prefetch from cache or try to manipulate memory from across architectural boundaries.

+25% speed boost with +100% the core count is worse than can be expected, but not all tasks are embarrassingly parallel and it's unrealistic to expect near-linear scaling from such a large general purpose codebase.

Pivo fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Aug 19, 2018

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I can do 75% of PS tasks in Nuke and Nuke is heavily paralellized. Plus the UI is way better. Designers need to abandon the ancient concept of layers and groups.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Shaocaholica posted:

I can do 75% of PS tasks in Nuke and Nuke is heavily paralellized. Plus the UI is way better. Designers need to abandon the ancient concept of layers and groups.

Huh?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Lincoln posted:

I have no experience with the wireless Apple keyboard, but like I said I need full-size, so, moot point.

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MQ052LL/A/magic-keyboard-with-numeric-keypad-us-english-silver?fnode=56

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Turbo nerd stuff here. It's not Nuke vs PS but imagine AFX is PS because they have a similar single stack layer system. Not saying you can replace PS with Nuke. You can't but it does a lot of what PS does much better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgvswMcsrps

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I just got the Magic Mouse 2 to use with my MBA. I typically turn it off if I'm not going to use it for a while, but I'm finding that often when I turn it on, it doesn't actually respond (i.e. I don't get "connected" on the screen). Under the bluetooth option it just says searching. I will then either have to plug it in / charge it (even though the battery is at 90%) or just restart my machine for it to start responding again. Any idea what could be happening?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Can you clone one Mac to another using a TB2 cable and something like Carbon Copy Cloner?

Dammit I need a ThunderBolt 2 cable.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Sure, you've never done that? CCC will work in free mode to do it. Super Duper is Super lovely IMHO, doesn't get updated as often as CCC.

I still use the Seagate desktop adapter for 3.5" drives to Thunderbolt as well as the small one for 2.5 drives. Thunderbolt OG is fast enough as no platter drive can match its speed anyway.

Will likely be pointless to use them for anything other than backup as Apple continues to disdain the use of discrete SSDs.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Aug 20, 2018

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Binary Badger posted:

Sure, you've never done that? CCC will work in free mode to do it. Super Duper is Super lovely IMHO, doesn't get updated as often as CCC.

I still use the Seagate desktop adapter for 3.5" drives to Thunderbolt as well as the small one for 2.5 drives. Thunderbolt OG is fast enough as no platter drive can match its speed anyway.

Will likely be pointless to use them for anything other than backup as Apple continues to disdain the use of discrete SSDs.

I've used CCC plenty of times - but I want to clone a 2015 MBP to a 2013 MBA

I'm then going to be putting the larger SSD from the Air into Pro. If I can do this, a TB2 cable is $24 at Best Buy open-box. Otherwise I'd have to somehow find/buy of those OWC adapters to connect the drive via USB.

I normally use a USB 3.0 2.5" enclosure but like you said it only works with SATA drives and I have sworn off non-Retina MacBooks (well there's one on I'm watch on eBay but after that I'm done)

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Mu Zeta posted:

Rather have this

LOOK AT ALL THOSE PORTS :gizz:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Bob Morales posted:

I've used CCC plenty of times - but I want to clone a 2015 MBP to a 2013 MBA

Why not just Migration Assistant if they're completely different hardware?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Chris Knight posted:

Why not just Migration Assistant if they're completely different hardware?

I could try that...we'll see tonight when I get home.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Bob Morales posted:

Can you clone one Mac to another using a TB2 cable and something like Carbon Copy Cloner?

Dammit I need a ThunderBolt 2 cable.

Thunderbolt Target Disk Mode + Migration Assistant will do the job

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204350

I did this a long time ago when I upgraded from an Air to a 15" Pro and it's still the only thing I've ever used my TB2 cable for, sigh.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
If you’ve got the time you can also do Migration Assistant over WiFi. It’s what I did to migrate my old Air to my current MBP back in ‘14 and it worked fine. I plugged them both in, went to bed and in the morning I was good to go.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Ethernet cables also work, if you want cheaper dongles (or have machines with built-in ethernet ports).

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-08-20/apple-is-said-to-plan-revamped-low-cost-macs-to-reignite-sales

New cheapo MacBook plus 'pro' Mini?!

Possibly at September event?!

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

a retina MBA with bezels that aren't.... measures laptop a full 2cm on every side is basically all I want in a laptop

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

This one will have no ports at all! Wireless charging! Wireless everything!

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Mac Mini Pro would sell like hotcakes. Every iOS dev shop would pick up a stack.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Have this really bad feeling the Mini will still have SATA as the main data transport. If they decided on anything but NVMe it'll be a disaster.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

xzzy posted:

This one will have no ports at all! Wireless charging! Wireless everything!

Wireless charging coming, 2019

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Binary Badger posted:

Have this really bad feeling the Mini will still have SATA as the main data transport. If they decided on anything but NVMe it'll be a disaster.

500GB+8GB Fusion drive

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Theophany posted:

I just bought a 1GHz eMac for £10 and I don't know why.

I bought a Macintosh Classic about 6 years ago to gut and put an iPad in as the screen, but never got around to it. I feel bad now.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

If they actually just upgrade the screen, processor and and maybe 1 USB C port... (and maybe keep the old keyboard?) I’ll buy it like Day 1, and max it out. It’s all I need in a laptop

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Wasn't the original design intent of the mini to NOT be a pro machine? Oh how far we've come.

Shaocaholica posted:

Lol if they don't put Hades Canyon into an aluminum chassis and call it a day.

Called it

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Aug 20, 2018

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
If the 'pro' mini packs at least the power of a 15" MBP, that's what I've been dreaming of for a Mac desktop. Just a way to bring my own monitor without having to use a laptop as a desktop or buying a Mac Pro (which I don't really need).

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Shaocaholica posted:

Wasn't the original design intent of the mini to NOT be a pro machine? Oh how far we've come.

Well we live in the era of the iMac Pro

the "Jumbo Shrimp" of the Apple world

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Splinter posted:

If the 'pro' mini packs at least the power of a 15" MBP, that's what I've been dreaming of for a Mac desktop. Just a way to bring my own monitor without having to use a laptop as a desktop or buying a Mac Pro (which I don't really need).

An adequately cooled 15" MBP or the actual real world design? :smugdog:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

New Mac Mini Pro is the MBP but with the screen ripped off.

Butterfly keyboard is still intact and the only way to use the machine.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Hades Canyon is one ugly looking NUC. Happy to pay Apple for the redesigned case.

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

How's that Apple "wireless charging pad" coming along

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Let's upgrade the storage of a 2015 MacBook Pro!

First, go on craigslist and find a 2013-2015 MacBook Pro or Air. It doesn't really matter much, just find one with a big SSD like 512GB. You're just going to stick your 128GB drive in it and re-sell it CL when you're done. This shouldn't cost you any money and if you get a good deal on the other MacBook you might even make a hundred bucks. Your other choice is shelling out like $300 for a drive on eBay and then being stuck with a 128GB drive that you can probably resell for like $30.

Get your handy tools out. I have an P5 pentalobe driver, T5 torx driver, from iFixit. I also have a Phillips but I don't think I'll need it.

There are two screws in the Air that are longer than the rest. Set them aside, they go in the middle under the screen.

The Pro has two tiny screws on the bottom edge. Set those aside

Pet hair in this one...

Cover is a little dusty. Wipe this out with a slightly damp paper towel

Nice and clean in this one

loving stripped T5 driver. I forgot about this.

$10 and a trip to home depot later...

this one works!

two SSD's side by side

Make sure they boot before you screw the covers back on

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
How long does it take for the new Macbooks to arrive on the refurb store? Anybody want to buy an 13 2015 mbp in the uk in a month or so haha.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

track day bro! posted:

How long does it take for the new Macbooks to arrive on the refurb store?
Typically ~90 days.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

BobHoward posted:

What exactly are you looking at? 3.3 and 3.5 i7s are not options at all in the current 2018 lineup.

Apple refurb store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Do refurb prices usually beat student prices? I can check out with a MBP 13' w/ 16gb ram for $2043(sales tax included) and it comes with a pair of beats I could sell for at least 150. So 1900ish total