Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

https://twitter.com/JolyonMaugham/status/1030931778004033541

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sai-kun
Feb 6, 2011

Is it ever going to be enough, to love another and be loved?

dude is definitely 825 years old not 25 years old lmao

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

lmao

https://twitter.com/JolyonMaugham/status/1030934516544753665?s=20

this motherfucker calling for a final solution

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Is it me or do British twitter fights bring a veneer of gravitas to the proceedings that are absent further west?

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

yeah, basically; they were people, just like anybody else, mostly raised with the assumption that they were born better than poor people

some of them were about as good of dudes as you can expect to come out of a feudal society (so grading on a curve), and others were loving rear end in a top hat bullies, psychos, and murderers

If I recall, it was mostly the lower ranking samurai, who were like, barely samurai in status that tended to be a bit less shitheaded and lead rebellions and the like. Once you got to court scholars and nobles they were just The Worst.

Also probably killed Sakamoto Ryoma for liking ideas like "freedom" and "equality" too much for their reactionary imperial restoration revolution.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Lindsey O. Graham posted:

tired: if people of my race are dating outside my race, then it doesn't matter because i can too therefore, the math evens out anyway

wired: in biology the gene pool benefits through the increase of diverse and varied mating patterns, so in order for man to survive the inevitable apocalypse most people should have been dating outside of their race since at the very least the invention of the atomic bomb as a matter of civic duty

This but unironically.

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Taintrunner posted:

this owns lmao I would drink with this guy

I'd drink with him and refuse to talk about details of my favorite regicides, October Revolution, Robespierre etc

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

hosed up that Cromwell killed thousands of Irish but couldn't find the time to off this guy's Cavalier ancestor.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Taintrunner posted:

this owns lmao I would drink with this guy

To poison him, I hope.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Atrocious Joe posted:

hosed up that Cromwell killed thousands of Irish but couldn't find the time to off this guy's Cavalier ancestor.

Time to break out bills of attainder again, imo

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Reminded how there's still French monarchists, with three competing dynasties and they all hate each other

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_pretenders

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I remember reading years ago that going by an almost certainly bastard son of some queen years ago the current rightful heir is apparently a farmer in Australia.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Which Tory MP is this?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

hes probably well within the mainstream of nobility's political opinions

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I remember reading years ago that going by an almost certainly bastard son of some queen years ago the current rightful heir is apparently a farmer in Australia.

...Avshalom?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Pirate Radar posted:

...Avshalom?

That would explain a lot.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That would explain a lot.

it wouldn’t explain anything but it would be a wonderful world to live in

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
this is more of a close but no cigar, but holy moly

yeah man, he literally is

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/PickardJE/status/1031081482016698368

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

DrManiac posted:

weren’t samurai like the knights where all that honor and codes poo poo was just pr and they abused the poo poo out of anyone lower than themselves?

they were also paid a stipend by the state so they didn't have to work

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

SpaceGoku posted:

they were also paid a stipend by the state so they didn't have to work

There were riots about how it didn't increase with inflation iirc

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

spicy one regarding bike helmets

https://twitter.com/valeriochang/status/1031107199521751041

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
tbf car drivers should also be wearing helmets

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Women should wear long sleeves when welding. :can:

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Oh jeez that entire thread is something.

https://twitter.com/eillieanzi/status/1030487678075187200
https://twitter.com/eillieanzi/status/1030488013342695424

People who irrationally hate bikers are still worse, but bike culture is so weird to me. Like, my take away from this is that this woman is willing to die if it helps get more protected bike lanes built.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

I mean, in a country where cycling is safe and drivers generally don't hate cyclists like in the Netherlands, nobody wears helmets.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

It's a good goal, I just didn't realize people were ready to die for it

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Helmets can save a person’s noggin even in situations that don’t involve motor vehicles.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
i design roads and love being able to influence the projects i work on into being more bicycle and pedestrian-friendly and let me tell you that bicycle advocates are The Worst

being able to design bicycle facilities is a big part of why i became an engineer and the opportunity to do so strongly motivated my decision to take a job at my current firm and honestly i could not be more sympathetic and they are still almost always just the craziest fuckin people

last year a buncha them came to a public meeting about one of our projects that included entirely closing off part of a street to turn it into a mixed ped/bike path, to link it up to this larger bike path network that has lotsa big overcrossing structures to get them over the highways

anyway a big part of the project was also widening an arterial road to allow us to squeeze bike lanes through it which was difficult since it’s also covered in bus stops, and they were super pissed that we weren’t just killing half the lanes of this roadway (and the bus stops) to make a segregated bike trail there

fuckin bike people i swear

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I mean just my personal experience points me towards wearing a helmet since none of the times I’ve spilled hard involved a car and only one of them involved me being dumb, but also, yes, streets we don’t need to wear helmets to ride on sounds like a good goal to have.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Having spent half my childhood on a bike I know there are a hundred million ways to stack yourself without a car in sight

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Having spent half my childhood on a bike I know there are a hundred million ways to stack yourself without a car in sight

Yea I don't care if we outlaw every car on Earth, I'm gonna keep wearing a helmet because my rear end is clumsy.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

My favourite was when I caught a spoke on a branch and flipped right over upside down, still in the same position. It took me a while to register what happened while tourists walked by giggling.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

lmao

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

thats somehow weirder and grosser than actual hooters

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Japanese hostess clubs but for a demographic that has no money, great.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

thats somehow weirder and grosser than actual hooters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Isn't the primary hooters demographic grumpy middle aged men anyway-

Dear god it IS the equivalent of a hostess club