Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Cassowaries are only deadly in video games. Through all of history one dude got killed by one and that's because him and his brother tried to beat it to death with clubs like idiots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Moose are too dumb to realize they’re outmatched in a fight. If it scrapped with a cassowary it would fight until it’s burger.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

The Zombie Guy posted:

All hail the mighty Canadian Swamp Donkey.

Les Stroud hosted a TV show, where he would spend 7 days alone, living in various environments. He travelled to spots around the world, from the Arctic tundra, to Australian outback, to South American jungles.
During an interview about his adventures, he said that of all the places he'd been, and all the dangers he's encountered, the one sound that scares the hell out of him is the call of a bull moose during mating season.

I can count on one hand the number of times I have been in real fear for my life. One of those times was when I accidentally got between a cow moose and her calf.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Could a hippo beat a moose?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

verbal enema posted:

What a ridiculous question. A hippo is just a hairless moose.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Antlers go in the mouth

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

verbal enema posted:

Antlers go in the mouth

https://i.imgur.com/dpdoR1r.gifv

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
The moose is definitely less likely to eat you later.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I think a moose could take a hippo until it turned around and unleashed the dreaded tail poop fan attack. Their biomes are so different though so it's probably never happened.

I think the only things the predate moose are wolves, who use group tactics, and gently caress off big bears. It's a pretty small list.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Wolverines will happily devour an exhausted moose that's run itself into shoulder-high snow and can't get out.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Soiled Meat
I think wolverines are properly classified as some form of munitions though.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

verbal enema posted:

I'd go with the hippo. They're both prone to random acts of murder, but size matters and hippos weigh ~3500 pounds to a moose's ~1250.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Remember when there was an actual plan to import hippos to Louisiana swamps? Wish that had went through. If there's a thing swamps need it's another deadly animal.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Solice Kirsk posted:

Remember when there was an actual plan to import hippos to Louisiana swamps? Wish that had went through. If there's a thing swamps need it's another deadly animal.

It's like the weirdest alt history route you could go that I wouldn't mind seeing happen.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
My God just imagine the gumbo. What does hippo taste like?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'm imagining like a meatier manatee. The real question is what does manatee taste like.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'm imagining like a meatier manatee. The real question is what does manatee taste like.

Like chicken

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Please don't eat hippos they are my favorite animal

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

verbal enema posted:

Please don't eat hippos they are my favorite animal

We all know that you favor your mother over your father

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Solice Kirsk posted:

Milo and POTUS posted:

It's like the weirdest alt history route you could go that I wouldn't mind seeing happen.

Oh boy do I have the book for you two.

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

This postseason, I've really enjoyed bringing back the three-inning save.

Hell Gem

Solice Kirsk posted:

It is an amazing story.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

This is a long read but it's worth your time.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
There’s also a Dollop about it.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Milo and POTUS posted:

There have been a few plans (some more serious than others) to import big cats from the African tropical savannah to Australia, where we have basically the same conditions, plenty of large game animals they could eat and a distinct lack of the lawlessness that breeds poachers.

I didn't know before reading an article about it that footage of a cheetah taking down a kangaroo was something I needed to see, and I'm now sad it almost certainly won't ever exist.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Be the change you want to see in the world.

winnydpu
May 3, 2007
Sugartime Jones

Solice Kirsk posted:

There are feral hippos in the Americas. Pablo Escobar kept hippos on his ranch. After his arrest, they escaped into the Amazon and increased in numbers until there were more than 30.

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2016/05/160510-pablo-escobar-hippos-colombia/

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

Beachcomber posted:

Be the change you want to see in the world.

What eats Canada geese and how soon can we import them to Michigan? I don't care if the answer is 20-foot venomous snakes, I'll take a dozen.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

winnydpu posted:

There are feral hippos in the Americas. Pablo Escobar kept hippos on his ranch. After his arrest, they escaped into the Amazon and increased in numbers until there were more than 30.

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2016/05/160510-pablo-escobar-hippos-colombia/

These are the things you're supposed to do with literally all the drug money ever

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Comptroll The Forums posted:

What eats Canada geese and how soon can we import them to Michigan? I don't care if the answer is 20-foot venomous snakes, I'll take a dozen.

And then you get some vicious lizards that eat the snake's eggs to kill them off. Then, just when it looks like you're going to be overrun by lizards, you import a certain species of lowland gorilla that eats the lizards. Then winter comes along, and all the gorillas freeze to death! Voila!

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
No the gorillas turn in to Yetis

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I'm pretty sure the wolverines could handle the Yeti.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Leavemywife posted:

I'm pretty sure the wolverines could handle the Yeti.

Wolverine didn't do so hot against Wendigo, not sure why other mytical snow monsters would be any different

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Looks pretty close.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
What about Skunk Ape

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Skippy McPants posted:

I'd go with the hippo. They're both prone to random acts of murder, but size matters and hippos weigh ~3500 pounds to a moose's ~1250.

Hippos are genuinely terrifying when angry and are one of the few animals who will fight to the death during mating season.

Look at those goddamn jaws:

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
So cute! :3:

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

What good could those teeth possibly do? They’re sideways for goodness’ sake.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Soiled Meat
They're for eating like a loving toddler

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Ariong posted:

What good could those teeth possibly do?

murder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe
I saw an pamphlet a while back about what to do if you encounter various North-American wildlife, like maintain eye contact, walk slowly backwards, make noise etc. They all ended with "In case of attack, fight back", except for grizzly bear and moose, which was basically "lol you dead".