Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Look Sir Droids posted:

I got invaded in Huntsmans Copse while not human. I’m pretty sure it was another player. The name was Manhunter or Maneater. Anyway I died bc this was literally the first time I poked in to this area.

I made it to the boss door in the Shaded Woods but I didn’t know how to talk to the scorpion dude so I can summon him. Are any of these statues worth using a branch on? Also got two rings from the foggy area, including Chlroanthy +1. Did I miss anything good?
- you can get invaded when not human no problem in DS2. It might be rarer if you're hollow but I don't actually know.
- you have to buy the Ring of Whispers from Shalquoir.
- most of them are, but with varying levels of usefulness depending on your build. The one statue you really want to unpetrify is the Lion Warrior opposite the Bonfire.
- did you get a head?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010
You're still a valid target for invasions while hollowed, yes. The reason you haven't noticed until now is that player invasions are rare in general; there's no unlimited-use invasion item in the game, so each individual player can only invade so many times before they run out of cracked orbs. The pool of potential invadees is absolutely huge compared to the small numer of active invaders, so you won't realistically see repeated invasions outside of special covenant areas.

There are three rings in the misty woods. The chloranthy ring is by far the best of them, so I wouldn't say it's absolutely necessary to go back in for the third ring if you don't want to. There's an npc in there you might want to check in with if you haven't already, though.

There is one petrified lion guy in particular who's standing out in the open and not physically blocking your access to anything. Naturally, that guy is by far the best guy to spend a branch on (he attacks you and drops something very useful on death).

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

couldn't anyone easily use cheatengine or similar to modify his # of invasion items to 99?

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Didn’t get a head or an NPC. I’ll branch the one dude, get the ring, and hit up the foggy woods again after killing the boss.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Look Sir Droids posted:

Didn’t get a head or an NPC. I’ll branch the one dude, get the ring, and hit up the foggy woods again after killing the boss.

If you're coming down from the Shaded Ruins bonfire, hug the right wall as you're going into the foggy woods.

Also, there's one other statue aside from the one across the bonfire that's worth branching, and that's the one in the tunnel past the scorpion dude.

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

double nine posted:

couldn't anyone easily use cheatengine or similar to modify his # of invasion items to 99?

Sure, you can hack in as many cracked orbs as you like, so the dedicated dickwraith crew can work around the game's restrictions on invading. There's still a larger contingent of players who might have spammed invasions if there was an uncracked orb, but can't or won't use cheatengine for one reason or another. The end result is fewer people invading, combined with a lot more targets (since hollowed players are still vulnerable) so any individual player is unlikely to have a lot of reds showing up.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I understand the intent behind only making cracked orbs (to encourage arena battles), but boy was that a misreading of the player base.

Most invading-type reds just want to own scrubs.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Djeser posted:

If you're coming down from the Shaded Ruins bonfire, hug the right wall as you're going into the foggy woods.

Also, there's one other statue aside from the one across the bonfire that's worth branching, and that's the one in the tunnel past the scorpion dude.

I branched the Tark tunnel one too and that led me to the head. Thank God that thing is a backstab magnet bc I did not expect to walk right in to that.

I got Sentiers Spear. My build is looking like I’ll use Sentiers for the levels and Roaring Halberd for bosses when I get it. Probably 20/40/25/25.

I broke Sentiers before I quit for the night. Since there’s no scaling, I should Raw this thing, right? I can still buff a Raw weapon with Dark Weapon or whatever?

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Almost any weapon will take buffs; only a few like FUGS and the Moonlight Greatsword will not. As for Santier's Spear, Raw is best on it for all but a few edge cases. In theory I think you can make it better with Mundane or Enchanted, but both options require high NG++ stats to be distinctly good choices. In particular Santier's Spear is one of a few weapons that gets -80% or something wild to its base damage from Mundane because it used to be an easy win in PvP - similarly, daggers and crossbows have that hefty nerf.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I'm kinda feeling some kind of low stats challenge run, what are some good gimmicks for that?

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

I want to make sure I understand infusing. If I Raw infuse something, I take it to McDuff, infuse it with a raw stone, and then it upgrades with its normal path upgrade material?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Look Sir Droids posted:

I want to make sure I understand infusing. If I Raw infuse something, I take it to McDuff, infuse it with a raw stone, and then it upgrades with its normal path upgrade material?

Infusions are completely separate from weapon upgrades in DS2. Upgrading a weapon will always use that weapon's normal upgrade path, regardless of any infusions.

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

Look Sir Droids posted:

Yes, infusion works independently of a weapon's upgrade level. For example, if I were to infuse a longsword +3 with magic, I'd get a magic longsword +3 that could be upgraded to +4 with a large titanite shard. If I upgraded it once and then removed the infusion with a palestone, I'd be left with a normal longsword +4.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Cool. So if I +3ed say, a bow or whatever. Then fire infused it, I’d have a +3 fire bow? That’s way more versatile than DS1.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Look Sir Droids posted:

Cool. So if I +3ed say, a bow or whatever. Then fire infused it, I’d have a +3 fire bow? That’s way more versatile than DS1.

Correct. And then, if you upgrade it to +10 and decided, actually, you want a Dark bow, you could just do that with the same bow easily enough.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

If you kill all the phantoms assholes in that part of Shaded Woods that leads to Scorpioness at least once, you can summon one of the NPC's in the gate leading up to boss path

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

If you're a caster you might want to branch the petrified lion next to the curse-frog for a set of armor that increases casting speed.

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!

Tallgeese posted:

I understand the intent behind only making cracked orbs (to encourage arena battles), but boy was that a misreading of the player base.

Most invading-type reds just want to own scrubs.

Don't the vendors sell unlimited cracked orbs in some ng+?

Rudicron
Oct 30, 2013

It's Lunchtime!

Get yourself a hotdog!

heard u like girls posted:

If you're a caster you might want to branch the petrified lion next to the curse-frog for a set of armor that increases casting speed.

If you're on PC, and can limit your framerate to 30 (or less), you can do a buggy jump to get over the wall behind the chest, saving you a branch. (works out to be 1 branch profit since there's one in the chest with the clothes. )

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

You don't need to limit your frame rate for that? Anything involving the engine being buggy at 60 FPS is limited to the original port of DS1.

The jump isn't that hard, anyway, once you know where to do so. If you do find it difficult try changing your control scheme to map jump to its own button (rather than double-tapping dodge/run).

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Yeah, as bad as the jumps are, I'd take DS2 jumps over DS1/3 any day. It is ridiculous that platforming is even a thing in these games considering how little mobility the player has in general.

The Cat ring is your friend.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
#team tap run button to jump

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
That one jump in Hunstman's copse is the worst thing in any of the souls games including but not limited to bed of chaos.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
The little floating island/broken not-column next to a bonfire?

I'm pretty sure it's been a year or two since I took the time to get whatever is on that little landing. Have no memory of what it is and just don't care.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

With huntsman's copse, you at least respawn right next to it. Bed of Chaos sucks forever because loving up that fight adds another five minute run up to the boss door all over again. IIRC, that area in copse just has a bunch of junk anyways

I really don't like bed of chaos >:v.

Doesn't that new FromSoft Tenchu game have a jump button? That's gonna be real weird if the rest of the game feels at all like a Souls. Just imagine: jumping, without doing this series' weird excuse for a running animation...

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Appoda posted:

With huntsman's copse, you at least respawn right next to it. Bed of Chaos sucks forever because loving up that fight adds another five minute run up to the boss door all over again. IIRC, that area in copse just has a bunch of junk anyways

I really don't like bed of chaos >:v.
I've seen a ton of people say that it takes five minutes to run to Bed of Chaos, but surely it's only one minute if that? The run is the least unpleasant part of that fight. Do people just not know about the hidden bonfire in Lost Izalith?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The huntsman’s copse jump is far less heinous than Bed of Chaos for a number of reasons, but most important is that once you know what to do it isn’t bullshit at all. It just seems that way because with almost any other jump in the entire series, you want to run as close to the edge as you can before you jump. If you do that here you are almost guaranteed to fail. On this particular occasion, for no reason and foreshadowed by nothing, the game wants you to jump a couple steps before you reach the ledge. It’s still badly designed and pointlessly mean (your reward is lockstone and a token of fidelity) but once you have the trick of where to jump, you’ll never die to it again.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Can you not just fall through a hole in the bridge leading to the Purgatory, circumventing the need to jump entirely?

Also, the Token of Fidelity is iirc the only guaranteed one in the game, so if you want to become a bluebro without helping out on a bosskill, that's your ticket. Maybe interesting for completely offline players who want the Boltstone sold by the Covenant leader asap?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
You have to drop off the side of the bridge, not through the hole. It can be done but the perspective makes it a bit confusing where you should drop.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

The trick is actually to just (plunge) attack after jumping so you dont roll off the other end as i learned in this very thread !!

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!
It's been a while since I've done that jump, but can't you just run at the platform and make it without actually jumping?

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Turns out DS2 is a puzzle game

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
The Izalith run sucks since you need to swap in the lava ring.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Loaded up my only surviving Scholar save for a few minutes. Only method that worked just going to the far right and running at it and just letting go of all buttons while mid-air.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Bogart posted:

The Izalith run sucks since you need to swap in the lava ring.
If you're fighting BoC, you don't need actually useful rings and you can just keep it on until you win.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

IronicDongz posted:

If you're fighting BoC, you don't need actually useful rings and you can just keep it on until you win.

I usually swap it before I get to Solaire bc I feel like I’m done with it and don’t want to forget to swap later.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Goddamnit this drake in Heides. gently caress that thing. Finally was like lol I’m gonna poison it from afar. It flies up, lobs a firebomb at me. One shot. Cool. All that after meticulously picking through the old knight/Heide knight gauntlet. I didn’t even go back to get me Souls.

Also wtf is this item in Huntsmans Copse I need to precision jump to? The one right outside the second bonfire.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Look Sir Droids posted:

Also wtf is this item in Huntsmans Copse I need to precision jump to? The one right outside the second bonfire.

Bait

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Look Sir Droids posted:

Goddamnit this drake in Heides. gently caress that thing. Finally was like lol I’m gonna poison it from afar. It flies up, lobs a firebomb at me. One shot. Cool. All that after meticulously picking through the old knight/Heide knight gauntlet. I didn’t even go back to get me Souls.

Lockstone and Token of Fidelity, nothing you need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

The Heide Drake is only an issue if you hesitate and are afraid of it. While it's still sleeping, you can just run up to it and be under its legs before it wakes up, and then you've won. The only thing to watch out for is when it flies up, then you need to leave the platform asap, otherwise his lovely stomps will never get you.

I always do it before Dragonrider because he's so easy and I get my magic find shield quicker for all the cool rare drops.