Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sapper
Mar 8, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

AutumnDDP posted:

Honestly, PTAs should be abolished and parents should have no say in how their children are educated. Leave the hard work to the professionals. Parents know nothing of educational principals, so why do we let them influence anything?

Maybe a PTA is somehow different from a PTO, but my wife is the PTO president and they really don't have any influence on the education part--they're more of the extracurricular activities and fundraising stuff. The teachers file a "wish list" at the beginning of the year for supplies, and the PTO buys them; the PTO runs field day, dances, fundraisers, and buys the stuff the school needs.

If anything, it puts more pressure on my kids not to be little shitheads because we know all the teachers and they can pull the, "Do you want me to tell your Dad what you're doing in class instead of your work?" But then again, I've always approached it as, "The teacher is probably telling the truth unless it's something utterly out of character for my crotch-goblin."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Jack2142 posted:

Maybe teachers just should stop working so hard and buying supplies with their own money they will never be reimbursed :smuggo: . They need to be more Capitalist and look out for their own enlightened self interest and gently caress society.

#StopEnablers

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Sapper posted:

If anything, it puts more pressure on my kids not to be little shitheads because we know all the teachers and they can pull the, "Do you want me to tell your Dad what you're doing in class instead of your work?" But then again, I've always approached it as, "The teacher is probably telling the truth unless it's something utterly out of character for my crotch-goblin."

What's a dad?

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

g0lbez posted:

Lmao that more than one person has this mindset kill me now

I know not everybody on SA is a computer toucher chillax brah

AutumnDDP
Oct 23, 2016

Grimey Drawer

Sapper posted:

Maybe a PTA is somehow different from a PTO, but my wife is the PTO president and they really don't have any influence on the education part--they're more of the extracurricular activities and fundraising stuff. The teachers file a "wish list" at the beginning of the year for supplies, and the PTO buys them; the PTO runs field day, dances, fundraisers, and buys the stuff the school needs.

I've never heard of a PTO. I'm from Ohio, for reference. What you're describing actually sounds kind of cool and good.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

spacetoaster posted:

What's a dad?

"My mom used to be my dad. Now I call him Mather. Why are you not addressing my parents by their correct pronouns?"

:suicide:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
my students are actually fairly accepting of the three trans students at our school

goddamn do they hate muslims tho

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Clawtopsy posted:

my students are actually fairly accepting of the three trans students at our school

:unsmith:

Clawtopsy posted:

goddamn do they hate muslims tho

:smith:

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

i guess hillary clinton won after all

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010

thatguy posted:

only on SA can a bunch of computer janitors white knight for the homeless cardboard recyclers they look away from at stoplights on the way to work like a huge % of them don't have uncontrolled substance abuse problems or are just lazy af

Great post/username combo.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Clawtopsy posted:

most parents don't raise their kids and then get mad at us because their kids are gremlins

For real; this goes way deeper than PTAs and parental involvement. The school can only do so much at the end of the day anyway.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

So I live in the UK and only recently found out about Americans being scared to phone in sick for work or actually take the holiday time in their contract. To me, this was absolutely mind-blowing, even on a minimum wage job (I have worked my share or boring lovely jobs). I could maybe imagine phoning in and my boss being disappointed I couldn't make it in, but I can't imagine fearing for my livelihood every time I got a cold.

My American friend insists things are exactly the same over here and in most of the States, that workers have the exact same rights etc., it's just that Americans aren't likely to go to an employment tribunal or anything. Is this true? Am I and all my friends just really lucky to have worked the jobs they have? Am I totally wrong on this one? I've spoken to friends who work in call centres and as accountants about this and to them the idea of being afraid to take time off is a foreign, alien thing too.

Not saying UK is a bastion of worker's rights or anything, just that this issue is tripping me up

HazCat
May 4, 2009

I'm in Australia, and I definitely am not afraid to take sick leave or annual leave if I need it. We've had one boss who was a huge pain in the neck dickhead about it (he called my friend up to 'remind' her that she'd need a doctor's note to verify her sick leave while she was sitting in the ER waiting to have her appendix out), but that was an inconvenience, not something that made anyone worry they'd lose their job.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
My dude I don't even get time off period. I can apply for approval to take a vacation, as long as it's not at a time the company deems inconvenient (holidays), and if I get approved I get no pay but I also don't get points against me for not showing up. I don't really make enough to go anywhere or do anything except keep working though so it's not like I can foresee needing to apply for a vacation. Anything else is day-of at best and not really for a while since a new warehouse opened and siphoned off some staff so now the rest of us have to make up the difference until our trillion dollar company can find the money to hire more people.

I'm glad my sort center isn't the only Amazon place that has these Orwellian bullshits painted up on the walls here and there.

Shima Honnou has issued a correction as of 10:13 on Aug 20, 2018

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Calico Heart posted:

So I live in the UK and only recently found out about Americans being scared to phone in sick for work or actually take the holiday time in their contract. To me, this was absolutely mind-blowing, even on a minimum wage job (I have worked my share or boring lovely jobs). I could maybe imagine phoning in and my boss being disappointed I couldn't make it in, but I can't imagine fearing for my livelihood every time I got a cold.

My American friend insists things are exactly the same over here and in most of the States, that workers have the exact same rights etc., it's just that Americans aren't likely to go to an employment tribunal or anything. Is this true? Am I and all my friends just really lucky to have worked the jobs they have? Am I totally wrong on this one? I've spoken to friends who work in call centres and as accountants about this and to them the idea of being afraid to take time off is a foreign, alien thing too.

Not saying UK is a bastion of worker's rights or anything, just that this issue is tripping me up

My last three jobs I was laid off because the company couldn't make enough money to support their sudden growth. They also didnt pay me a few times but this is America this is how it goes! Gotta live with it!

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

this is the most hosed up thing posted so far. fortune cookies are sacred ground, this is completely unacceptable

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

holy poo poo

i just threw up in my mouth alittle

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjoBjBculec&t=80s

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

HazCat posted:

I'm in Australia, and I definitely am not afraid to take sick leave or annual leave if I need it. We've had one boss who was a huge pain in the neck dickhead about it (he called my friend up to 'remind' her that she'd need a doctor's note to verify her sick leave while she was sitting in the ER waiting to have her appendix out), but that was an inconvenience, not something that made anyone worry they'd lose their job.

as a fellow aussie, i have a number of sick days per year i can use without a medical contract, i use these all every year without fail just for mental wellbeing

if i'm actually sick i just get a doctor's certificate because going to the doctor doesn't cost me more than a days work because universal healthcare is good

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Shima Honnou posted:

My dude I don't even get time off period. I can apply for approval to take a vacation, as long as it's not at a time the company deems inconvenient (holidays), and if I get approved I get no pay but I also don't get points against me for not showing up. I don't really make enough to go anywhere or do anything except keep working though so it's not like I can foresee needing to apply for a vacation. Anything else is day-of at best and not really for a while since a new warehouse opened and siphoned off some staff so now the rest of us have to make up the difference until our trillion dollar company can find the money to hire more people.

I'm glad my sort center isn't the only Amazon place that has these Orwellian bullshits painted up on the walls here and there.

lmao

WORK HARD. HAVE FUN. REPRODUCE. OBEY. CONSUME.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Why oh why does marvel keep making these valid critiques of Americas destructive behavior but it's always coming from the villain? ?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

EugeneJ posted:

"My mom used to be my dad. Now I call him Mather. Why are you not addressing my parents by their correct pronouns?"

:suicide:

Haha those wacky trans people sure are gross!!!

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Kazak posted:

Why oh why does marvel keep making these valid critiques of Americas destructive behavior but it's always coming from the villain? ?

I'm still kinda pissed that the mandarin wasn't a better done.

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007

Shima Honnou posted:

Sup fellow Amazonian. I too can confirm Amazon is a poo poo show. Recently quit after slogging through three years of inbound/outbound work.

Our building is an absolute mess. We are so over capacity in inventory that they've closed down all but one break area to convert into more storage. The mods (where the inventory is normally stowed) are full to bursting and absolutely filthy. Pack stations in outbound are covered in dust/cardboard particulate and half our equipment was barely functional. Before I left, they had just finished clearing out one of our IT department work areas and replaced it with deadwood storage (poo poo that's just been sitting in inventory).

That's just the building alone. Unreasonable productivity goals, unsympathetic management, and Orwellian slogans on walls abound. It's really all too much to talk about in one single post.

tl;dr Amazon is a corporate dystopian hell-hole

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

"Our nations is built on hand-jobs and capitalism."

https://twitter.com/25_male_nyc/sta...agenumber%3D407

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

spacetoaster posted:

"Our nations is built on hand-jobs and capitalism."

https://twitter.com/25_male_nyc/sta...agenumber%3D407

:yikes:

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

spacetoaster posted:

The government of the united states of america has proven itself to be an excellent, and trustworthy, entity.

Or are you in one of those "enlightened" european countries that forces immigrant children into state controlled "education" camps?

You joke but the cognitive dissonance Americans have over calling out Europe for being backwards racists is really something amazing.

"But the N-word is marginally less taboo over there!"

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

BioMe posted:

You joke but the cognitive dissonance Americans have over calling out Europe for being backwards racists is really something amazing.

I was at the black sea drinking a beer when I heard a drum playing and someone, in bad russian, chanting about earth/fire/water.

Two black guys, wearing zebra skins and carrying spears, were posing for photos (for a small fee because capitalism) with people.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Which comedian is this, and does he work with Nathan Fielder?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

BioMe posted:

But you have so many fun little subdivisions of racism, against people we pretty much just lump in as "white" these days, it's much more funny and obviously stupid.

Like I had a Brit friend who was constantly ostracized for being half Roma, and I'm like "lol in America you'd just be a somewhat tan suave british accent havin' white dude"

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

spacetoaster posted:

I'm still kinda pissed that the mandarin wasn't a better done.

Never saw iron man 3 so I'll stick with that YouTube as my only exposure

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Kazak posted:

:thunk:

I know you're being rhetorical but I'm never gonna pass up a chance to thunk

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Calico Heart posted:

For almost my dad's entire career, he eschewed time off. Probably once or twice a year, he'd have stories about colleagues being sacked/let go because they took vacation. When you're on vacation, you've already got someone else covering you work and you're not generating any billable hours soooooo...

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
I worked at Amazon back in like 2008ish for a good eight years at a fairly small location with a small tight knit group of employees. It was incredible watching the slow transformation of being a decent place to work to an absolute corporate nightmare.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Screaming Idiot posted:

The entire education system is a loving quagmire of ineptitude that needs to be burnt to the ground and totally rebuilt, and it needs teachers and parents alike to stand up to the politicians who are truly at fault.

spacetoaster posted:

To relate this to capitalism there's a lot of parents just checking right out of the public schools and either taking their kids to private schools, or building a community just outside of a large city, incorporating and creating a school system for rich people.
Schools suck and aren't going to get better under this system b/c they are designed specifically to churn out Obedient Workers. Blaming politicians or parents misses the problem.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILQepXUhJ98

BTW anyone itt is a successful Obedient Worker product of the educational system if they buy into the ideology that a tiny class of people should own everything and make all the important decisions of society for everyone else. Just smart enough to run the machines and do the paperwork but just dumb enough to passively accept all these increasingly shittier jobs.

comedyblissoption has issued a correction as of 15:51 on Aug 20, 2018

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Calico Heart posted:

Yeah I'm pretty sure we don't have "the exact same rights" lmao, unless y'all also have the idiocy of at-will employment and "right to work". Sure they can't legally fire you for [thing], but according to at-will employment they can validly fire you for no stated reason, so good luck proving why you were fired when you were officially fired for no reason!

Also I'm pretty sure we don't have anything like an "employment tribunal" here, unless you count the forced binding arbitration clause you're required to agree to as part of your employment

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Calico Heart posted:

You friend is talking massive amounts of poo poo. The UK has far more worker protections than even the best states in the US, including legally mandated sick leave, holiday pay, maternal leave etc, Compare this to the US where you don't have "workers rights" you have "right to work" states where you can be let go at any time for any reason and they don't even have to tell you.

Don't get me wrong, the UK is in a loving state at the minute, 10 years of tories have left info-structure crumbling, 30% of all children below the poverty line and we've not even begun to feel the full impact of this brexit stupidity, BUT our workers rights are FAR FAR ahead of the US, it's not even a fair comparison.