Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

It's always easy to spot an alt Derek account.

All you have to do is ask them what they think an escape key should do in a space game.

Edit - dam, in bed on phone about to goto sleep, anybody able to spot me a dream catte?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008

Fairly sure that account is someone here pretending to be a delusional backer.

They certainly seem to get upvoted a lot by the backers though, so they're a pretty successful troll.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Shift-Reset-DiskEject-Escape is right rudder, yes?

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Yes Commando's, send as much mail to the judge as you can. Let her know just how good of an armchair lawyer you are and why CryTek is wrong and CiG is right and good. As a bonus, ensure to maintain your normal amount of smugness and give the judge some nice threatening undertones to really get her thinking about this case.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Monday off to a good start :smuggo:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Neltharak posted:

I thought all forms of sexual gratification were banned in the fourth stimpire.

(why does SwiftKey know the word "stimpire"?)

Rank has priveleges.

Rubbing must be earned.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Yes Commando's, send as much mail to the judge as you can. Let her know just how good of an armchair lawyer you are and why CryTek is wrong and CiG is right and good. As a bonus, ensure to maintain your normal amount of smugness and give the judge some nice threatening undertones to really get her thinking about this case.

Use plenty of illustrations. Judges don’t know space games and might need bringing up to date on the current state of the art. But the ‘write in jury’ is an oft overlooked legal process.

Mark the envelope ‘amicus curae for the cig thing’.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
A company that makes game engines from scratch wants to steal the monstrous spaghetti code that CIG has shoe horned into that same engine over the course of half a decade with hilarious results.
They will get away with this by moving to China.
#thingscitizensactuallybelieve

Neltharak
Jun 7, 2013

That's definitely one for the thread recap.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
List of Cryengine games:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_CryEngine_games

List of games made by CIG:

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Kosumo posted:

Edit - dam, in bed on phone about to goto sleep, anybody able to spot me a dream catte?

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Aqua Seafoam Shame posted:

Thanks! It cost me a fortune, and I have nothing to show for it. Nobody even gave me a jpg.

Bloody dealers these days! Don't even give JPGs! CR could show them a thing or two!

And thanks for the warm welcome, everyone! I look forward to all the parping and rubbing.

Careful now, parping and rubbing are addictive!

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

peter gabriel posted:

List of Cryengine games:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_CryEngine_games

List of games made by CIG:

This.

However, cymelion or whoever the gently caress is acting like a moron is only trying to attract attention. He seems to live for that, since no game is ever coming out anyway.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

colonelwest posted:

It's all good for Star Citizen though, because each of those planets is more detailed than in the original pitch and will have more content than an entire AAA game.

"See that crater? You can fit all of Skyrim in that crater."

That quote still loving demolishes me. Chris Roberts, Visionary, doesn't understand the difference between "content" and "size." That's like taking someone to the Sahara Desert, pointing to a giant swath of loving deadly nothing, and saying "You can fit, like, 100 Disney Worlds, right there."

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Where we're going - we won't need CryEngine for fidelity.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Scruffpuff posted:

That quote still loving demolishes me. Chris Roberts, Visionary, doesn't understand the difference between "content" and "size." That's like taking someone to the Sahara Desert, pointing to a giant swath of loving deadly nothing, and saying "You can fit, like, 100 Disney Worlds, right there."

This meme is great because it implies Chris is a used car salesman which is actually what he is at best.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

vyst posted:

This meme is great because it implies Chris is a used car salesman which is actually what he is at best.

:laffo: perfect

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Scruffpuff posted:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

peter gabriel posted:

A company that makes game engines from scratch wants to steal the monstrous spaghetti code that CIG has shoe horned into that same engine over the course of half a decade with hilarious results.
They will get away with this by moving to China.
#thingscitizensactuallybelieve

China, being largely founded on the works of Marx, has a 'thing' about fraud by companies. Frequently the harshest sentences are levied against those that engage in outright fraud, and to operate a company in China, it has to be half-owned by the state, which means they get minute-by-minute accounting. They're also a bit fast and loose with the concept of ownership because their half of the business relationship has tanks.

The west has engaged in a delicate dance for years, but now we're into the shouting and stomping phases of a new emergent world power.

If you were going to gently caress off anywhere (That didn't have the laissez-faire of Eastern Europe), it would be Turkey. But there really is no need.

I mean, the real technical coup is in the object bind tech culling streaming container tech, and they haven't actually completed that yet. Most of their time and energy appeared to be spent on bullshots, videos and lore.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

vyst posted:

This is great.

IcarusUpHigh
Dec 20, 2016

Wow, check out this emergent gameplay. Guy walks around empty space station and does gently caress all. And this is episode SEVEN of it.

Fantastic living and breathing world you've got there CIG.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8o3XoFJyIK0&t=167s

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

It also irked me because of the obvious bragging intent behind the comment. The implication was that he created a universe within which a fully functioning Skyrim game was an infinitesimal speck, with infinitely more content to be discovered. Basically just another one of his constant swipes at real game developers. "Maybe Rockstar could match us - maybe." Except this time he basically said that Bethesda's years of effort created something he effortlessly dwarfed billions of times over.

Pointing out that the space on a procedural planet is "big enough" to hold something is analogous to opening up an empty map editor and bragging about how much game you can fit into it. Of course you can, you moron, now do it.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
"Sure the crater which fits 3 Skyrims is empty - but isn't just staring at nothing what people do IRL when they go and see nature? Now I can fire up my computer, hop into my chariot and land on an alien world. There, I can see landscapes and terrain you couldn't even come close to enjoying on Earth. The content is there for those of us with the class to see it. Checkmate Goonie."

Tinfoil Papercut fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Aug 20, 2018

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

IcarusUpHigh posted:

Wow, check out this emergent gameplay. Guy walks around empty space station and does gently caress all. And this is episode SEVEN of it.

Jesus gently caress that's hard to watch. These guys are like one step removed from drawing stick figure fights on their notebooks in third grade. Of course it doesn't help that when he finally finds a guy to shoot at the game freezes and goes into massive stutters lol.

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.

Hav posted:

Use plenty of illustrations. Judges don’t know space games and might need bringing up to date on the current state of the art. But the ‘write in jury’ is an oft overlooked legal process.

Mark the envelope ‘amicus curae for the cig thing’.
And don't forget to leave out the secret defendant in the case - Derek Smart, who should be required to reimburse all of CIG attorney's fees and also pay punitive damages for willful and malicious doxxing.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Amazing Zimmo posted:

Jesus age christ Cymelion's brain is truly mush, but this appears to be the new narrative amongst the more fervent backers that discovery is only going to be used to steal all the game code and be able to produce their own lovely mmo.

Even Crytech wouldn't try to make a MMO with cryengine.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Sandweed posted:

Even Crytech wouldn't try to make a MMO with cryengine.

And if they did, "Star Citizen" isn't exactly the IP they'd be leveraging.

Peter.Quint
Mar 16, 2018

IcarusUpHigh posted:

The cringe at 4:03 when he says, "These last three shots gotta count!" is just off the scale.

Who the hell talks like the hero from an 80's cartoon when they're playing a computer game?

I've played some intense games of League of Legends with friends but no-one says, "I've only got one shot...", or "If I can just pull this off...".

Beyond cheese.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Hav posted:

Welcome to the eighties. Don’t look at any part of the 1970s in great detail.

Hey! "Space 1999" man! Come on!

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Dude the n body galactic evolution simulations I used to tune can fit so many Skyrims in them

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Peter.Quint posted:

The cringe at 4:03 when he says, "These last three shots gotta count!" is just off the scale.

Who the hell talks like the hero from an 80's cartoon when they're playing a computer game?

I've played some intense games of League of Legends with friends but no-one says, "I've only got one shot...", or "If I can just pull this off...".

Beyond cheese.

There's a friend and I that always do this exact thing when we're playing games.

"What's this?!? Bullets - bouncing off! Gun has - no effect!"

The difference is we're doing it on purpose.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Much appreciated, thank you. The drug of choice was Dimenhydrinate, if you're curious.

Just tell people you were hopped up on Codeine. Being hooked on nose spray is pretty anti climatic.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Peter.Quint posted:

Beyond cheese.

Now, if you played Overwatch, this would be true.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

I can fit like all of Far Cry 3 in this.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

See that crater? Ratchet and Clank all up in there.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

AbstractNapper posted:

This.

However, cymelion or whoever the gently caress is acting like a moron is only trying to attract attention. He seems to live for that, since no game is ever coming out anyway.

(he's not acting)

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
YEAH BUT CAN YOU FIT ELITE:DANGEROUS IN THERE I DIDN'T THINK SO *rips shirt off and slaps titties*

Aqua Seafoam Shame
Aug 20, 2018

by astral

Lladre posted:

Just tell people you were hopped up on Codeine. Being hooked on nose spray is pretty anti climatic.

I wish I'd been hooked on nasal spray, or Codeine for that matter. The stuff I took causes serious long-term brain damage. I can link you to the peer reviewed journal articles that explain this if you'd like.

This is off topic and I don't want to discuss it, but I don't want anyone who stumbles onto this thread to get the wrong idea. Dimenhydrinate is serious business, kids.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Peter.Quint posted:

Beyond cheese.

This is one of those fan series made to try and impart some kind - any kind - of life into the universe. It's machinima, he and the guy he's shooting at are "acting," which makes it somehow even worse.

I'll admit I laughed at the bad guy just teleporting behind the main dude. Nothin personnel, kid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Jobbo_Fett posted:

YEAH BUT CAN YOU FIT ELITE:DANGEROUS IN THERE I DIDN'T THINK SO *rips shirt off and slaps titties*

You can fit the entirety of ED's life cycle into Star Citizen's alpha.
https://steamcharts.com/app/359320

The game has literally been out for 3.5 years, released a full expansion DLC, and is now in a contraction phase, showing a steep decline in userbase due to poor development decisions and a lack of any real engaging multiplayer gameplay. It was still the best space exploration/trading sim of the last decade, and the best VR experience ever.

I'm really really looking forward to the Citizen hot takes when they finally twig to the fact that ED is slowing down. It's going to be wall to wall "Guess you coudn't keep up, huh Frontier? Shows you for trying to Steal The Vision!"