Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Mustang posted:

I got both myself and my BN XO locked up at attention by a LTC from corps, I thought I was going to get my rear end reamed by my XO afterward but to his credit he wasn't mad at me since I ended up being right.

I wasn't being disrespectful or argumentative either. The guy was just flat out wrong.

If I had answered him the way he wanted me to I would have definitely been lying.

Not sure what his branch was but I don't think he's ever been in a line unit, completely detached from reality.

This is a big reason why Im hosed up I think. Leadership like that is all around Corps.

No matter if you're right, you're wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

82d PSG got pissed I questioned his authority as a private.

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

The best counseling statement I ever saw in the Army was when I was stationed at White Sands. I had a friend who had joined as an E-4 with a Masters in Aeronautical Engineering, he enlisted as ADA for the student loan repayment. Someone in one of the project offices realized his talents were being wasted in doing Patriot maintenance and got him working on the Shuttle replacement program, I think it was the X-33, this was the mid 90s.
My buddy was still assigned to the ADA Company for Army stuff. His semi-literate platoon sergeant wrote him up when the rocket exploded on the launch pad. The statement was glorious, with various misspellings and a fundamental lack of scientific knowledge. My friend got out of the Army and went to work for NASA a few months later. He kept the counseling statement framed.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

My buddy is retiring and is burning up a ton of leave. He's already grown a beard. He he's got to go sign something on the last day to officially be "out of the army" and he's got to shave and be in uniform.

It reminds me of my dad coming home from vietnam. Some lieutenant wouldn't let him process out until he went and got his hair cut.

I imagine we'd hear the same gently caress gently caress stories from roman legionnares from thousands of years ago.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
The Triarii didn't show up for outprocessing with scuffed sandals, and neither should you. :colbert:

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

My first thought there was the World Eaters legion's elite ship combat (boarding and defense from boarding) unit rather than the Roman unit type that they got the name from.

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

Mustang posted:

LTC from corps

O-5s working at Corps level are by default many more times unhappy than you are and this drives most of their actions. They can’t be bargained with. They can’t be reasoned with. They don’t feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And they absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are completely demoralized.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

spacetoaster posted:

My buddy is retiring and is burning up a ton of leave. He's already grown a beard. He he's got to go sign something on the last day to officially be "out of the army" and he's got to shave and be in uniform.

It reminds me of my dad coming home from vietnam. Some lieutenant wouldn't let him process out until he went and got his hair cut.

I imagine we'd hear the same gently caress gently caress stories from roman legionnares from thousands of years ago.

Here's one. In the National Guard you have your "Welcome Home" ceremony 30 days after you get back so that all the units who demob piecemeal can be together for the ceremony. It always falls within the post-deployment leave you are taking and fucks up your plans. Now, less than 24 hours out from the ceremony, we find out that we have to unload our unit's connexes after the ceremony. Which means that instead of being released to go home immediately following the ceremony, we get to waste hours doing that while our families sit around twiddling their thumbs.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

SimonCat posted:

Here's one. In the National Guard you have your "Welcome Home" ceremony 30 days after you get back so that all the units who demob piecemeal can be together for the ceremony. It always falls within the post-deployment leave you are taking and fucks up your plans. Now, less than 24 hours out from the ceremony, we find out that we have to unload our unit's connexes after the ceremony. Which means that instead of being released to go home immediately following the ceremony, we get to waste hours doing that while our families sit around twiddling their thumbs.

Are you in my unit? This was exactly the reason some of my unit soldiers just went AWOL after block leave.

There were others like my friends that just decided to not show up, and won the game by not participating with no repercussions.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

SimonCat posted:

The national guard is freaking huge. Why, WHY, would they not put a bunch of joes on orders to do that for you?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

spacetoaster posted:

The national guard is freaking huge. Why, WHY, would they not put a bunch of joes on orders to do that for you?

Because they already have a bunch of Joes on orders attending the event. Duh.

e: That will literally be the line of thinking at BN, BTW. Even though the money for those post-deployment don't kill yourself events comes from a separate funding line.

Mr_Ruckus
Jul 8, 2008

spacetoaster posted:

Two reasons: Money, and because the people they out on orders wouldn't give a poo poo if any of that stuff was missing when it was pulled out. The way our gear we left when we went on deployment is being handled by our rear... Well, I wouldn't want them unloading my connex.

What they should do is just wait until all the yellow ribbon stuff and leave and poo poo is over, and do it as like the first normal drill. Just keep the connexes sealed and in a locked area and you're good.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
no because someone's spreadsheet will have a red cell in it because they haven't been opened and signed for properly and that's the unforgivable sin in the government

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
I've been blasting army information out of my head since I was got out, but unless I'm mistaken my old brigade had 2 fatalities yesterday based on this army times article. Mustang, what the hell?

A Bad Poster fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Aug 19, 2018

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
They made a platoon of dudes try to extinguish a fire with their canteens and those two got caught in it due to lack of heart.

Not sure what happened, but that fatalities board on the way out of base keeps getting higher every month. It's a bummer

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
At Benning 3rd ID used to have a "days since last DUI" and "days since last training fatality". We used to drive by it to check it out on the way to dispatch vehicles, and I think that the DUI number never hit double digits and training fatalities I only saw get past a month once.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

A Bad Poster posted:

I've been blasting army information out of my head since I was got out, but unless I'm mistaken my old brigade had 2 fatalities yesterday based on this army times article. Mustang, what the hell?

I haven't heard anything about it, link?

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I remember coming back from deployment to Bragg and seeing the sign in triple digits.
It lasted less than 24 hours after we came back.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

I laughed then instantly felt bad

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

2 minutes to H-Hour, crouched in a ditch less than 30m from the training village, all is quiet as dawn breaks. Still Dre riff starts playing over and over again, some guy has forgotten to turn off his celly alarm for the second day in a row

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Jaguars! posted:

2 minutes to H-Hour, crouched in a ditch less than 30m from the training village, all is quiet as dawn breaks. Still Dre riff starts playing over and over again, some guy has forgotten to turn off his celly alarm for the second day in a row

o7

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

not caring here posted:

At Benning 3rd ID used to have a "days since last DUI" and "days since last training fatality". We used to drive by it to check it out on the way to dispatch vehicles, and I think that the DUI number never hit double digits and training fatalities I only saw get past a month once.

Fatalities, not injuries? WTF?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Itchy_Grundle posted:

Fatalities, not injuries? WTF?

That sounds like someone was bad at updating a sign or a faulty memory is at play. 12+ fatalities a year and 52+ DUIs a year doesn’t sound realistic.

To even average out to one training fatality per month typically requires a major ground or air vehicle mishap to spike the averages.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
we had 80+ DUIs the first weekend of being back

god bless the cav

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

mlmp08 posted:

That sounds like someone was bad at updating a sign or a faulty memory is at play. 12+ fatalities a year and 52+ DUIs a year doesn’t sound realistic.

To even average out to one training fatality per month typically requires a major ground or air vehicle mishap to spike the averages.

My memory is, errr, not the best, but I'm pretty sure I've remembered it correctly. More likely someone was not updating the sign properly.

There is also the fact that 3ID got their asses shut down in 2016 after a report came out condemning the entire unit.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Shut down to what extent? What brought that about?

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Pretty sure that 3ID on Benning is no more, completely deactivated.

There was the usual problems, toxic top to bottom, suicides, rapes, murders, huge thefts, drugs, joes getting abused wholesale. There were a lot of articles in the local rags about it at the time so there's probably something online.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
No no, it was shut down "as part of an army force reduction", you see

https://www.ledger-enquirer.com/news/local/military/article72065822.html

So is all of Kelley hill basically abandoned now? I was up there once for a detail, that's a huge amount of space to turn into a ghost town.

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Aug 20, 2018

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
That report came out as I was med boarding, and 3id got told to eat rear end just after I left.

From what I heard though there was a bunch of support units that 3id had pushed into tiny little corners so they basically came back and filled it out. Plus there was the shops there, the big motor pool where everyone got their vehicles from, probably some other junk. I have no doubt it took a hit but probably not as big as you'd think.

But the only thing to miss about benning was on main post, when the popeyes rebuilt the disgraceful church's chicken and when it was new it was the most amazing popeyes in the world, and the civilian shooting range where they'd give me a gator to roll my broken rear end out to the 300 metre targets.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

A Bad Poster posted:

Three suicides in a month, all in different BNs. One of them was in mine but I had never met him.

I know the SDO for one of the BNs that was on duty when one of them was discovered was that soldiers PL.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

When I was at Stewart my battalion got locked down for 2 days when some live grenades turned up missing. Some privates wanted to kill the HHC 1SG. It actually got reported on CNN. Rock of the Marne!

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

When I was at Stewart my battalion got locked down for 2 days when some live grenades turned up missing. Some privates wanted to kill the HHC 1SG. It actually got reported on CNN. Rock of the Marne!

Camp Swampy never changes.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
3ID this day and age means looking at typhoon Soulik with glee, Because only way for us to get a break is for godly intervention to raze whatever post we inhabit.

Top of the rokk.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

It was pretty nuts. They encircled the battalion HQ and the barracks with concertina wire and the MPs guarded us. On the night if day two the dudes panicked and chucked them out the barracks window. The next morning a captain found them in the landscaping underneath.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

when we got back a dude went to a bar, clocked a ssgt out cold, and the dude died when he hit his head wrong on the way down

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

when we got back a dude went to a bar, clocked a ssgt out cold, and the dude died when he hit his head wrong on the way down

I feel like this story has the lowest number of words one can use to give an accurate description of the army to a potential recruit.

Sacrist65 fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Aug 24, 2018

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Sacrist65 posted:

I feel like this story has the lowest number of words one can use to give an accurate description of the army to a potential recruit.

Nah, it's "mcnally.txt"

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

McNally posted:

Nah, it's "mcnally.txt"

The average 18-yo would not read that much and assume you hosed up, but they will have awesome soldier time .

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

mlmp08 posted:

The average 18-yo would not read that much and assume you hosed up, but they will have awesome soldier time .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuTkgi7scKo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
THE SAGA CONTINUES?!

I got this email in the mail yesterday. Well, technically I was CC'd on this email.

quote:

CLASSIFICATION: UNCLASSIFIED

KNO CAC,

Requesting SBP packet information for Firstname MI McNally.

The Spouse of SGT McNally's Wife, DCIPS case #(blah blah).

His last known address has her in your area:
(my current address, phone number, and email address)

Transferred from CAR CAC on or about 01 Mar. 2016.

To date, one SBP packet has been filed with this office dated 08 Jan 2016.
The Line of Duty investigation for this case is complete.

Please provide us with a new SBP packet or verification that the Spouse will
not be filing SBP.
Once received this case can be forwarded for review/submission to DFAS.

Note: According to DCIPS NOK remarks; Mr. McNally declined the appointment
of a new CAO so there is no CAO/SOS coordinator listed as Active.

Thank you for your attention.

Some Dude
Casualty and Mortuary Affairs Assistant

So I was a little concerned. I hit Reply All and wrote back.

quote:

What is the nature of this request for information? Is there something I should be aware of?

Thanks,

McNally

I received this response today:

quote:

CLASSIFICATION: UNCLASSIFIED

Mr. McNally,

Sir, you need a new Survivor Benefit Plan packet (SBP).
Upon completion of the Line of Duty investigation, a review of your original packet indicates that you have moved.
Therefore a new SBP packet is required before the Defense Finance and Accounting Service (DFAS) will process your annuity.

An SBP packet consist of:
DD Form 2656-7 (Verification for Survivor Annuity)
W-4P (Tax Withholding Certificate)
Direct Deposit Form (Banking information Form)

Please contact the Fort Knox Casualty Assistance Center so that they can arrange an appointment for you to fill out the new paperwork:
Directorate of Human Resources
Casualty Assistance Center (IMKN-HRM-CAS)
(address, three phone numbers, email - the first of the three phone numbers went straight to a voicemail that was full)

Once your packet is completed it will be forwarded to the Casualty Support Section for review and submission DFAS.

Questions or concerns about SBP can be addressed by the Fort Knox Benefits Coordinator:
Ms. Someone Else
(phone number/email)

Thank you for your attention.

Some Dude
Casualty and Mortuary Affairs Assistant

I, knowing the Army as I do, felt this does not bode well (and will probably require me actually going to Fort Knox for the appointment), and replied thus:

quote:

I'm already receiving my annuity. Am I going to stop getting my annuity because nobody told me I had to fill out a form when I moved three years ago?

So we'll see how this goes. That $310 a month is a fair chunk of my monthly income, so I hope it doesn't go away.