Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

simpsons dune memes are my favorite

my greatest SA moment is imagining paul going "i'd like to order the biggest jihad you have. no, that's too big"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
Plans within plans!

Empire needs spices

Plans within plans!

Empire needs spices

Plans within plans!

Empire needs spices

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Duke Leto as Homer Simpson works almost too well.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
D'ohn, Simpsons Planet.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
Eat my stillsuit!

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Murray Mantoinette posted:

Plans within plans!

Empire needs spices

Plans within plans!

Empire needs spices

Plans within plans!

Empire needs spices

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

lol

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

I can imagine Messiah as a better self-contained movie than the original Dune.

Is this bad and wrong?

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

Vlex posted:

Is this bad and wrong?

Messiah had a smaller scope and the world was already established. It fits easily into a box.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Testikles posted:

Messiah had a smaller scope and the world was already established. It fits easily into a box.

Not gonna lie, I'm up for seeing a story translated to the silver screen where there's a super potent mutant future human who gets dunked on constantly for being a dumbass.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Vlex posted:

Is this bad and wrong?

i always thought this too. It's got a lot of movie friendly concepts in the writing that Dune doesn't.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Vlex posted:

Not gonna lie, I'm up for seeing a story translated to the silver screen where there's a super potent mutant future human who gets dunked on constantly for being a dumbass.

Well, at least the game is already made, but for some reason it was called "Assassin's Creed 3".

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I watched Lynch's Dune for the first time in years the other night. I went with the theatrical cut as having endured the extended cut once before, I'm convinced that none of the additions actually make for a better film.
It was an okay way to spend an evening, but I find that it falls flat both as an adaptation of Dune and just....as a movie, separate from the source material. Jessica certainly does a lot more stock-hysterical-woman wailing than I remembered, and her character as a whole feels a lot less strong and capable than she was written in the book.

When I was younger I remember really hating the weirding module stuff, now I just kind of roll with it - also "His name is a killing word" is a bad-rear end line.

Pumped to see what Dennis Villeneuve does with it!

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

To be fair, Dune means a lot more to me than the sum of its parts, but I like the movie, and I think it would likely be a classic if Lynch had been given final cut.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I mean, I certainly think the movie would have been better if Lynch had the final cut but I think even he has admitted that he did Dune for all the wrong reasons, I don't know that it would ever have been on the level of his other work.

Also, while I'm rattling off my terrible opinions, I really liked the terrible low-budget Dune miniseries and think it gets judged too harshly.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Yeah, the Dune miniseries isn't bad at all. It was just too ambitious for its own good (but when it comes to a Dune adaptation, what isn't?) but I think it does a lot of things right. And the Children of Dune miniseries has some great scenes and a wonderful soundtrack.

MarksMan
Mar 18, 2001
Nap Ghost

Mode 7 posted:

I watched Lynch's Dune for the first time in years the other night. I went with the theatrical cut as having endured the extended cut once before, I'm convinced that none of the additions actually make for a better film.
It was an okay way to spend an evening, but I find that it falls flat both as an adaptation of Dune and just....as a movie, separate from the source material. Jessica certainly does a lot more stock-hysterical-woman wailing than I remembered, and her character as a whole feels a lot less strong and capable than she was written in the book.

When I was younger I remember really hating the weirding module stuff, now I just kind of roll with it - also "His name is a killing word" is a bad-rear end line.

Pumped to see what Dennis Villeneuve does with it!

Did I just miss the part in the book, or was there no 'acoustic weapon' in the book like in the movie? Also I really like your avatar

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

There's no weirding modules in the book, but the movie and games have associated them with Atreides.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

MarksMan posted:

Did I just miss the part in the book, or was there no 'acoustic weapon' in the book like in the movie? Also I really like your avatar

I'm sorry, were you wanting them to try and do Matrix-eqse fight scenes using 1980s movie tech?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Fremen just had a higher fight rating or something

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
Wierding is an old word for witchcraft etc. The Bene Gesserit sometimes call their teachings 'the weirding way' an includes their perceptive abilities, Voice, and Prana-Bindu body/nerve control.

But this is difficult to explain on the screen, and David Lynch obviously thought the idea of Voice-guns was really cool

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I start to wonder if the Jojo guy had read Dune.

plape tickler
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Kwisatz Haderach is a pleasing group of letters and sounds. I need to re-watch the Lynch version.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I hear it sung to the tune of Felis Navidad.

We need a Dune musical. Walk Without Rhythm as an extremely ironically catchy tune.

plape tickler
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well now I hear it that way and I'm not sure I like it. No, I like it. Dune The Musical would be the first broadway anything I would want to see.

plape tickler fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Aug 20, 2018

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

MarksMan posted:

It's 1984 and you're david lynch. Do you adapt prana-bindu/weirding way goku-esque kung fu, or do you make a super-weapon that wouldn't be absolutely ridiculous even if you sprang for the price tag on then-cutting edge effects and top of the line choreography which Dune definitely did not in either category as it exists.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
cocoon, metamorphosis planet

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

dune, but a romanic comedy

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Waterworld, but on dune

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Dune but it follows MST3K logic and Paul is instead named Frank. He frequently gets confused for TV's Frank. Hijinks ensue.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Picturing the Fremen out in their caves and sand skimmers watching Always Sunny on TV

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Picturing the Fremen out in their caves and sand skimmers watching Always Sunny on TV

They weren't losing their minds when they saw open water. They were losing their minds because they had rum ham.

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I hear it sung to the tune of Felis Navidad.

We need a Dune musical. Walk Without Rhythm as an extremely ironically catchy tune.

You could have a big number where all the BG come out and sing "I'm every woman."

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

A sister act, if you will

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
I am going to go to my grave knowing that I have watched Sister Act.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Johnny Aztec posted:

I am going to go to my grave knowing that I have watched Sister Act.

And by definition, sooner rather than later.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I used to own the hard copies of Dune many many moons ago and I'd really like an E-Book version but amazon doesn't sell like the whole set?

Is there a better place to get the ebook from?

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

MarcusSA posted:

I used to own the hard copies of Dune many many moons ago and I'd really like an E-Book version but amazon doesn't sell like the whole set?

Is there a better place to get the ebook from?

I imagine there's lots of places but when I bought the first one they offered 2&3 for pretty cheap, since it's regarded as a trilogy. If you're talking the Frank Herbert six, I don't know that they sell that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat
amazon sells the first six in a set on kindle though? u get like one of them free. i hosed up cuz i told myself i was only gonna rerread the first 4 but here i am 3/4 through heretics and welp guess im buying chapterhouse too.