Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

baquerd posted:

Like it or not, it's a really bad sign for property values. Because I know this statement will bring every crazy out of the woods to tell me how racist I'm being (instead of just acknowledging reality and my relative inability to control said reality), have a link to discuss instead: https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/business/wonk/housing/atlanta/?noredirect=on

I made my post knowing that but cool I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
If you ever saw the 30 Rock episode where Kenneth has a flashback to his high school prom in Stone Mountain, GA and he's the only White guy there, that's my hometown*.

Birthplace of the modern Klan and it emptied out of White people in a span of about 5 years. The part that sucked is it's a self fulfilling prophecy. A few Black families move in, all the White folk freak out, start selling their houses, supply goes up, and property values keep going down. Real estate agents would use White Flight to churn houses by exploiting the paranoia. Suddenly you have a plethora of people clamoring to give you a 8% commission to sell their homes at any price.

*also Donald Glover's hometown.

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.
I like money and economics for this reason it gets down to the truth about society.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
:munch:

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Krispy Wafer posted:

If you ever saw the 30 Rock episode where Kenneth has a flashback to his high school prom in Stone Mountain, GA and he's the only White guy there, that's my hometown*.

Birthplace of the modern Klan and it emptied out of White people in a span of about 5 years. The part that sucked is it's a self fulfilling prophecy. A few Black families move in, all the White folk freak out, start selling their houses, supply goes up, and property values keep going down. Real estate agents would use White Flight to churn houses by exploiting the paranoia. Suddenly you have a plethora of people clamoring to give you a 8% commission to sell their homes at any price.

If all the white people fled Stone Mountain, maybe we can finally scour off that horrible carving now? Or rig some sort of landslide to cover it, then turn the place back over to the native american groups that had lived there.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Krispy Wafer posted:

A few years back, ta-nehisi coates wrote a big article titled "the case for reparations," with the main focus being on 20th century housing policy, both public and private. It was mainly about Chicago neighborhoods, but the same thing you talk about in Stone Mountain happened there. Some real estate agents/investors would even sink so low as to hire a black couple to push around a baby carriage in white neighborhoods to stoke the panic.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

brugroffil posted:

A few years back, ta-nehisi coates wrote a big article titled "the case for reparations," with the main focus being on 20th century housing policy, both public and private. It was mainly about Chicago neighborhoods, but the same thing you talk about in Stone Mountain happened there. Some real estate agents/investors would even sink so low as to hire a black couple to push around a baby carriage in white neighborhoods to stoke the panic.

That was a really good article in the Atlantic and where I learned about those slimy realtor tricks. I wasn’t old enough to know about any dirty tricks in Stone Mountain, but I’m sure once demos started changing, real estate agents jumped in with both feet.

We moved too, but I don’t think you can call foreclosure White flight (oh no, we were the people everyone was moving away from).

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Ashcans posted:

If all the white people fled Stone Mountain, maybe we can finally scour off that horrible carving now?
Yeah but what about the laser light show.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Ashcans posted:

If all the white people fled Stone Mountain, maybe we can finally scour off that horrible carving now? Or rig some sort of landslide to cover it, then turn the place back over to the native american groups that had lived there.

The people who defend the carving coincidentally won't go anywhere near the city of Stone Mountain.

My parents grew up nearby in Avondale Estates at a time when the HOA wouldn't even allow minorities to buy houses. I overheard one of my aunts talking about visiting it recently and how much it's "declined" (it hasn't)

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

moana posted:

torch'em again uncle billy

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

FAUXTON posted:

torch'em again uncle billy

I hope this is a Squidbillies reference to an episode I don't remember or haven't seen yet.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Ashcans posted:

That still blows my loving mind. We dropped, what, $20 million of taxpayer money on that piece of poo poo eyesore? To idolize a bunch of racist redneck traitors?

:psyboom:

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I would guess that 'Uncle Billy' is General William Tecumseh Sherman.

moana posted:

I guess we can keep the light show, along with the candy shop and the Dinotorium. But maybe we should double check to make sure that isn't creatively themed around the war.

BigDave posted:

That still blows my loving mind. We dropped, what, $20 million of taxpayer money on that piece of poo poo eyesore? To idolize a bunch of racist redneck traitors?

:psyboom:
The worst thing is that it was started in 1916 and not completed until 1972, meaning that there was enough drive to keep a lovely project like that alive for 50 goddamn years. Not just a few-year fit of outrage, but a whole lifetime of people thinking 'oh yea, Jefferson Davis, 75 feet high, that's what we need'.

Also I just uncovered this gem:

quote:

Stone Mountain Park officially opened on April 14, 1965 – 100 years to the day after Lincoln's assassination.

:stare:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Nocheez posted:

I hope this is a Squidbillies reference to an episode I don't remember or haven't seen yet.

It's a reference to William Tecumseh Sherman.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Fitzy Fitz posted:

The people who defend the carving coincidentally won't go anywhere near the city of Stone Mountain.

My parents grew up nearby in Avondale Estates at a time when the HOA wouldn't even allow minorities to buy houses. I overheard one of my aunts talking about visiting it recently and how much it's "declined" (it hasn't)

Avondale Estates, to those that don’t know, is an upscale old money neighborhood east of Atlanta. They made national news when the HOA wouldn’t let a homeowner redo his front stoop. He discovered there was no rules about this though:

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

FAUXTON posted:

It's a reference to William Tecumseh Sherman.

Ah, I wouldn't have ever thought of Sherman as Billy, but as a resident of the south I have to agree.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
This is more American Healthcare system is BWM, but he did literally 0 research into what would happen.

My 62-year old uncle quit his job because he applied for early retirement from Social Security and the SS payments + income from a rental would be enough to live off of.

He's had a heart attack before, so he should have looked into this more, and he paid about $160 per month at his job for health insurance.

Now, his health insurance is ~$2,000 per month.

His income from his rental property and social security puts him out of the range for subsidies under Obamacare and he has 3 more years before he qualifies for Medicare. But he refuses to go back to work because "you can't unretire" and it would basically be admitting he made a mistake.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

This is more American Healthcare system is BWM, but he did literally 0 research into what would happen.

My 62-year old uncle quit his job because he applied for early retirement from Social Security and the SS payments + income from a rental would be enough to live off of.

He's had a heart attack before, so he should have looked into this more, and he paid about $160 per month at his job for health insurance.

Now, his health insurance is ~$2,000 per month.

His income from his rental property and social security puts him out of the range for subsidies under Obamacare and he has 3 more years before he qualifies for Medicare. But he refuses to go back to work because "you can't unretire" and it would basically be admitting he made a mistake.

Ugh yes that's the stuff

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Two thousand dollars a month, jesus

Maybe at some point we need to reconsider the importance of medical care for super old people

Like... Would you take your 1997 Honda Civic with 300,000 miles in for regular servicing?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Volmarias posted:

Ugh yes that's the stuff

The worst part of this (other than my uncle being dumb, but at least he is still getting insurance and knows about his health problems, so he's not endangering his life) is that there is a strong chance that this ends up on our bi-monthly "beg family for money" email chain that gets sent around to all of our family members.

We have had 4 loan requests/donation drives this year to save people from being dumb or to save dumb people from something that was genuinely lovely/unlucky.

- My other, possibly mentally unstable, uncle had a plan to get free energy and was behind payments on his custom air purification and filtration system in his house.
- My cousin had expensive medical bills because the battery in his vape rig exploded in his pocket and gave him some very bad burns on his thighs and torso.
- My brother's heroin detox treatment/medicine because he is "really serious about it this time" and 8th time is always the charm.
- My other cousin lost his job and then decided to start a vegan food truck that only served organic vegetables and V8-style smoothies at public concerts and music events.

And everyone is deeply offended if you don't contribute "enough" or even ask about what kind of timeline they think they can pay back their interest free "loan" in.

Spoiler: 100% of loans have been promised to be repaid "real soon" and no loan has ever been paid back.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Aug 20, 2018

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Maybe at some point we need to reconsider the importance of medical care for super old people

Like... Would you take your 1997 Honda Civic with 300,000 miles in for regular servicing?

I think it includes my aunt as well, so it is "only" $1,000 per month per person.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
"- My brother's heroin detox treatment/medicine because he is "really serious about it this time" and 8th time is always the charm."

Oof, I am sorry to hear this one. Whether he's serious or not, it's basically impossible to kick a serious heroin addiction without INCREDIBLE amounts of monetary and other assistance. And he's legitimately going to die if people don't help him. Fun!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Hmmmm

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Maybe fix your hosed up medical insurance system instead of leaving all the retirees to die, jesus christ what is wrong with you

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

"- My brother's heroin detox treatment/medicine because he is "really serious about it this time" and 8th time is always the charm."

Oof, I am sorry to hear this one. Whether he's serious or not, it's basically impossible to kick a serious heroin addiction without INCREDIBLE amounts of monetary and other assistance. And he's legitimately going to die if people don't help him. Fun!

That’s what Harris Wittels did, according to his interview with Pete Holmes. He decided to get into heroin, then because of his lucrative job on Parks & Rec he was able to go to rehab costing tens of thousands to boot the addiction.

Then realized this meant his tolerance was now low, so if he went back to hard drugs he’d get really, really high. Even his dealer tried to talk him out of that. Fast forward a few months after this interview, no more Harris.

It’s an insane interview, a well liked comedian laying out the exact, extremely preventable, reasons he would be dead soon. I wanted Pete Holmes to yell at him or something. (You Made it Weird #236)

Hyrax Attack! fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Aug 20, 2018

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006

BMan posted:

Maybe fix your hosed up medical insurance system instead of leaving all the retirees to die, jesus christ what is wrong with you

No, we want death panels.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

BMan posted:

Why not both

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

potatoducks posted:

No, we want death panels.

But I'm worried that Obama's government-run death panels will crowd out the private death panel industry.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

FAUXTON posted:

Why not both

Exactly

Current retirees are Boomers, but we might want to take care of the next round.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

But I'm worried that Obama's government-run death panels will crowd out the private death panel industry.

Look, there are always going to be some death mandates that are just not profitable enough for private industry to pursue. I understand we're worried about interfering with the market, but the reality is that there are thousands, maybe even millions, of people in America that just keep on living every day despite perfectly good reasons to be condemned to death through withheld services or straight-forward euthanasia. Maybe in time we'll develop more cost-effective death panels that allow this bottom tier to become a profitable sector for the private panels, but in the meantime it's the government's duty to step in and ensure every American receives the properly mandated death they deserve.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
I work with a guy that is retired but works part time to pay his 700 dollar Medicare supplement insurance. Even the government healthcare doesn't cover poo poo anymore due to copay and deductibles. Specially if you have cancer.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
If the guy can’t plan ahead to eat well and exercise, nor save enough money to pay for his health expenses that come as a result of that choice, then why should the government take care of him? The sooner he succumbs to his poor planning the less money it costs the rest of us.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

UCS Hellmaker posted:

I work with a guy that is retired but works part time to pay his 700 dollar Medicare supplement insurance. Even the government healthcare doesn't cover poo poo anymore due to copay and deductibles. Specially if you have cancer.

Wow. I have never seen Medicare sup cost that much.

My mom is very high risk and her Medicare sup is under $200 a month. My 80+ year old grandmother was paying around $100 I think?

And for people who have sane healthcare systems and don’t know what this is, Medicare covers 80% of your costs. You buy Medicare supplement from a private insurer to cover the other 20%.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Note to self: Never be old, unemployed, retired, or in less than perfect health in America

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

BMan posted:

Note to self: Never be in America

I simplified this for you.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

If you aren't perfectly optimizing your existence for the benefit of yourself and others, why do you even deserve to be alive?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Hoodwinker posted:

If you aren't perfectly optimizing your existence for the benefit of yourself and others, why do you even deserve to be alive?

So THAT'S what the Latin on the back of the $20 means!

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Since this tread loves to harp about the beans and rice lifestyle, Loughborough University provides Minimum Income Standards (MIS) for people in the UK. Unlike this thread, they believe that

quote:

A minimum standard of living in the UK today includes, but is more than just, food, clothes and shelter. It is about having what you need in order to have the opportunities and choices necessary to participate in society.

This includes detailed brake-downs for each MIS budget. So their 2016 MIS budget for a married couple with a preschooler and a primary school kid devotes 13% of the budget to social and cultural participation. Surprisingly, I did not find any of the social and cultural participation items in the detailed breakdown to be that BWM. Except for the last item, which is a yearly vacation to Haven Thorpe Park Lincolnshire [7 nights, arriving Sat 23/7/16 (Peak) 2 bed caravan sleeps 4 (1xdouble, 2xsingle) = £708].

As for more classic BWM, reddit brings Paying my parents' bills is crushing me.

"reddit posted:

I'm 23 and my parents had me later in life. Both receive social security (totaling $3,000). Since I graduated I've been paying whatever their ss doesn't cover. I'm losing money paying their bills - I've given them over 10 grand already. I dont know what steps they should be taking now and they dont either. They have about $30,000 in credit card debt and the payments are about $550 a month. At first they thought about moving but I doubt they'll find anywhere cheaper (mortgage is $685 a month plus $210 hoa) . i was dropped from the family Health insurance once I graduated but the insurance said they would not lower the per month cost since my brother is still on the plan. This bill is the biggest $921, but theres car insurance, home insurance, cable (they refuse to drop this and honestly they dont do much but eat and watch tv). I have heard people suggest filing for bankruptcy, reverse mortage, my parents want to do a home equity loan but at this point that will just go to the credit card bill and I dont think it will improve anything. We're in florida if that changes anything. I just feel so out of my depth and I dont know what direction to go in. Is there any advice for this situation?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Is it weird that my take-away from this is that I'm jealous that his insurance was ever that low at 62? I'm 34 and my wife is 33, and our insurance rates in CA are $330 each ($660 total). My employer pays $300 of that, but still, it sucks.

My boss who is in his 50s pays $955 just for himself, and his wife (who is my other boss) pays $700. And we have an employee who pays $1900 monthly for his family of 4. All of them had 18% cost increases this year.

It's loving absurd, medicare for all can't come soon enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Is it weird that my take-away from this is that I'm jealous that his insurance was ever that low at 62? I'm 34 and my wife is 33, and our insurance rates in CA are $330 each ($660 total). My employer pays $300 of that, but still, it sucks.

My boss who is in his 50s pays $955 just for himself, and his wife (who is my other boss) pays $700. And we have an employee who pays $1900 monthly for his family of 4. All of them had 18% cost increases this year.

It's loving absurd, medicare for all can't come soon enough.

I pay $38/month for my health insurance and my employer covers around $700.

Going from private industry to the public sector is a big step down in salary, but the move to a much lower COL area and benefits come close to evening out.

I paid about $300 a month for a barebones plan that covered almost nothing until you hit the $4,500 deductible in 2010. The healthcare and insurance system is garbage in America.