Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Pound_Coin posted:

You friend is talking massive amounts of poo poo. The UK has far more worker protections than even the best states in the US, including legally mandated sick leave, holiday pay, maternal leave etc, Compare this to the US where you don't have "workers rights" you have "right to work" states where you can be let go at any time for any reason and they don't even have to tell you.

Don't get me wrong, the UK is in a loving state at the minute, 10 years of tories have left info-structure crumbling, 30% of all children below the poverty line and we've not even begun to feel the full impact of this brexit stupidity, BUT our workers rights are FAR FAR ahead of the US, it's not even a fair comparison.

I think said friend had the same weird blindness a lot of Americans have where they think that Europe (or at least the UK) must have the same or worse terrible employment system we do, or for every thing they have that's better there's a "cost of living" shift that renders it null, or something like that. It's some kind of weird subconscious American exceptionalism that tons of people have and it's super annoying to deal with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I've heard bizarre poo poo like "Well sure they have healthcare and maternity leave but I heard eggs cost twice as much so really they're not any better than here" a depressing number of times.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

spacetoaster posted:

I was at the black sea drinking a beer when I heard a drum playing and someone, in bad russian, chanting about earth/fire/water.

Two black guys, wearing zebra skins and carrying spears, were posing for photos (for a small fee because capitalism) with people.

Going for central Asia Russia as a proof Europe is hosed up is kind of cheating, might as well call North America communist because of Cuba.

Regardless, unless one of the black guys was shot by a cop afterwards and the other put into re-educational work training in a state facility I can't really think more harshly about this fringe-euro place you visited.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

BioMe posted:

Going for central Asia Russia as a proof Europe is hosed up is kind of cheating, might as well call North America communist because of Cuba.

Regardless, unless one of the black guys was shot by a cop afterwards and the other put into re-educational work training in a state facility I can't really think more harshly about this fringe-euro place you visited.

Wasn't there a big string of immigrant murders a few years ago in Germany that the authorities didn't give a poo poo about because it must just be those immigrants murdering each other, and then it turned out it was a bunch of white nationalists doing it

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

BioMe posted:

It was just a funny story you pedantic little poo poo. And it wasn't asia/russia. The EU has a couple of nations on the black sea and the dudes were just spouting random words.

I spoke the them later in the day, when they put on some normal clothes, and they were college students just making some spending money.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

ate all the Oreos posted:

Wasn't there a big string of immigrant murders a few years ago in Germany that the authorities didn't give a poo poo about because it must just be those immigrants murdering each other, and then it turned out it was a bunch of white nationalists doing it

Possibly, I'm not saying Europe is perfect, just that American's basking in their purely rhetorical superiority is pretty funny considering how much worse real skeletons and ongoing problem they have.

spacetoaster posted:

It was just a funny story you pedantic little poo poo. And it wasn't asia/russia. The EU has a couple of nations on the black sea and the dudes were just spouting random words.

I spoke the them later in the day, when they put on some normal clothes, and they were college students just making some spending money.

Sorry for not picking up on a non-sequitur then?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

BioMe posted:

Possibly, I'm not saying Europe is perfect, just that American's basking in their purely rhetorical superiority is pretty funny considering how much worse real skeletons and ongoing problem they have.

Yeah I think everyone here recognizes that America's worse about pretty much everything than Europe :shrug:

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

America is better at that stick-to-itiveness

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Yeah I think everyone here recognizes that America's worse about pretty much everything than Europe :shrug:

IDK some posters seem pretty mad about arguing against a point they definitely didn't try to make :v:

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Yes, they were only discovered because they also killed a cop, before that it was simply the "Döner Murders". You know, because immigrants sell kebabs and are routinely shot execution-style with suppressors for no reason, must be the gangs. It's especially grievous since the age-old joke is that roughly half the neo-nazis in Germany are police informants. They also neglected to inform the vast majority of the 35,000+ people found on the various death lists discovered during the investigation, and those few they did inform weren't provided any protection whatsoever.

Another guy had acquired a fake identity as a Syrian asylum seeker and was planning false flag attacks, thankfully they caught that shithead in time.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Pound_Coin posted:

"right to work" states where you can be let go at any time for any reason and they don't even have to tell you.
"At-will employment" is the policy that lets employers fire you for any reason or no reason at all (except if it would violate federal discrimination laws, but good luck proving that).

"Right-to-work" is the policy that means non-union members at a workplace do not have to pay union dues while receiving all the material benefits of being a union member (aka enforcing freeloading to bust unions).

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

comedyblissoption posted:

"At-will employment" is the policy that lets employers fire you for any reason or no reason at all (except if it would violate federal discrimination laws, but good luck proving that).

"Right-to-work" is the policy that means non-union members at a workplace do not have to pay union dues while receiving all the material benefits of being a union member (aka enforcing freeloading to bust unions).

During the monthly all hands meetings at a former job, the CFO would get up and remind everyone of their at will employment status. Basically she would get up there and tell us that she could fire any of us at any time because it was "not a right to work state."

This happened every single month that I worked there

Revdomezehis
Jul 26, 2003
OMG a Moose!

Pound_Coin posted:

You friend is talking massive amounts of poo poo. The UK has far more worker protections than even the best states in the US, including legally mandated sick leave, holiday pay, maternal leave etc, Compare this to the US where you don't have "workers rights" you have "right to work" states where you can be let go at any time for any reason and they don't even have to tell you.

Don't get me wrong, the UK is in a loving state at the minute, 10 years of tories have left info-structure crumbling, 30% of all children below the poverty line and we've not even begun to feel the full impact of this brexit stupidity, BUT our workers rights are FAR FAR ahead of the US, it's not even a fair comparison.

Yeah pretty much this. The idea of a minimum wage job in the US having any protections, let alone sick leave or vacation time, is pretty drat laughable. And when you say "right to work" it sounds like you're referring to "At-will employment" laws which were an amazing power move from corporations. They allow so many companies to get around basically every worker protection law that's on the books. You're disabled/non-hetero/non-white huh? Well, as long as we don't specifically ever say "You're fired because of your disability/sexuality/race" we no longer have to worry about proving otherwise, even if that's the real reason. Also as soon as you take any sick time, we'll let you go for "reasons" that we don't have to state.

But hey, at least this way you worker plebs don't have to continue working at a job for 2 weeks after you announce you're leaving! What a great bargain for you commoners!

Right to work laws on the other hand are just the laws that were passed in order to remove unions' abilities to get funds, thereby killing the vast majority of unions in those states.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

But in exchange you get the right to leave whenever you want, you can just quit any time!!!!*

*If you actually do this without giving two-weeks notice you will be forever unable to use them as a reference and your new employer will probably hold it against you

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Americans are getting absolutely annihilated by their corporations and it's incredibly weird that they're not causing more poo poo about it. Your work conditions are atrocious

Are americans just unaware of how it SHOULD be or do they just not give a gently caress

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Zzulu posted:

Americans are getting absolutely annihilated by their corporations and it's incredibly weird that they're not causing more poo poo about it. Your work conditions are atrocious

Are americans just unaware of how it SHOULD be or do they just not give a gently caress

But my friend, have you heard about bootstraps?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Chiming in on the amazon poo poo. Did six months in BNA3 a few years ago. Had (still have) a huge beard and people on my shift called me Gandolf.

It's a nightmare job, but it was fun watching the fats quit after the second day from sore feet.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Revdomezehis posted:

But hey, at least this way you worker plebs don't have to continue working at a job for 2 weeks after you announce you're leaving! What a great bargain for you commoners!

But also if you don't you're hosed. Just unofficially.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Also keep in mind that "At-will employment" is the default policy in all 50 states.

The only time you can't be practically fired for any reason in all 50 states is if you have a labor contract stating otherwise and tiny exceptions.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/At-will_employment

Typically when you're fired it's immediate. However when you are quitting, it's customary to give 2 weeks notice like a good little Obedient Worker.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Zzulu posted:

Based on the stories here it sounds like they think they have it how it should be and please don't talk about other countries because it's unpatriotic, or something.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Zzulu posted:

At least they had the presence of mind to ban yellow unions many, many decades ago, I'll give them that.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Iron Crowned posted:

During the monthly all hands meetings at a former job, the CFO would get up and remind everyone of their at will employment status. Basically she would get up there and tell us that she could fire any of us at any time because it was "not a right to work state."

This happened every single month that I worked there

Did she have a visible erection while saying this?

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Zzulu posted:

There are multiple instances ITT of the American media celebrating people donating vacation time to coworkers for maternity or sick leave.

The American media is a propaganda device that does not want to inform Americans of the laws and standards regarding maternity, sickness, and vacation in other countries.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Oscar Wild posted:

Did she have a visible erection while saying this?

Absolutely. She was refered to around the office as "six inch clit," and the only time you ever saw her smile was the days when someone got fired.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Zzulu posted:

A bunch of people are aware of it and agitating about it but they have no platform because:

There are multiple instances ITT of the American media celebrating people donating vacation time to coworkers for maternity or sick leave.

The American media is a propaganda device that does not want to inform Americans of the laws and standards regarding maternity, sickness, and vacation in other countries.

And yet a lot of people seem to think the media has a left bias :psyduck:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Also the current institutions are great at burying anyone who might be a better option, like how you've probably not heard of Pete Buttigieg despite him having a fantastic name.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

lol you're over-thinking this.

Americans aren't clueless that about that fact that other countries have job security/healthcare/vacations. We aren't lied to about that. The lies are that these things come at the cost of inviting Immigrant Hordes, having grandma condemned by a Death Panel, and lazy moochers living the high life off your tax dollars.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
People in the US also have this weird culture of being proud of 60-80 hour workweeks. Like it's a sign of weakness if you don't put in a bazillion hours of work/week. Seems the weirdest thing ever to be proud of, but I'm just a lazy European I guess?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Chomp8645 posted:

Americans aren't clueless that about that fact that other countries have job security/healthcare/vacations. We aren't lied to about that.

I wouldn't be so sure buddy, I've had a lot of people outright refuse to believe me when I tell them about Europe's mandatory vacation time or maternity leave.

Chomp8645 posted:

The lies are that these things come at the cost of inviting Immigrant Hordes, having grandma condemned by a Death Panel, and supporting lazy moochers who will crash the economy and national budget.

Yeah the few people who actually know about it come back with "b-b-but cost of living is higher!" or something like that.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Calico Heart posted:

So I live in the UK and only recently found out about Americans being scared to phone in sick for work or actually take the holiday time in their contract. To me, this was absolutely mind-blowing, even on a minimum wage job (I have worked my share or boring lovely jobs). I could maybe imagine phoning in and my boss being disappointed I couldn't make it in, but I can't imagine fearing for my livelihood every time I got a cold.

My American friend insists things are exactly the same over here and in most of the States, that workers have the exact same rights etc., it's just that Americans aren't likely to go to an employment tribunal or anything. Is this true? Am I and all my friends just really lucky to have worked the jobs they have? Am I totally wrong on this one? I've spoken to friends who work in call centres and as accountants about this and to them the idea of being afraid to take time off is a foreign, alien thing too.

Not saying UK is a bastion of worker's rights or anything, just that this issue is tripping me up

We have a labor board but people living paycheck to paycheck can't afford to get fired then go to the labor board and wait for a dispute to resolve which will probably not end in their favor because "Right to Work" means employer can fire you for any reason except for if you are gay/black/etc (some class/group protected by law). And they'd have to be 100% morons to get caught for that considering they can just fire you without cause and that's fine so they'd have to literally in writing tell you you're being fired for being gay (or what have you).

But yeah, being afraid to call in sick because of retribution either by firing or a cut in hours is a Real Thing. Many people can't afford to call in sick either, because paycheck to paycheck.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I wouldn't be so sure buddy, I've had a lot of people outright refuse to believe me when I tell them about Europe's mandatory vacation time or maternity leave.

A lot of people view that as Europeans being lazy and inferior to red blooded Americans!

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Kazak posted:

Why oh why does marvel keep making these valid critiques of Americas destructive behavior but it's always coming from the villain? ?

p u r e

i d e o l o g y

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Iron Crowned posted:

A lot of people view that as Europeans being lazy and inferior to red blooded Americans!

Yeah I've heard "gosh they're on vacation again, don't they know we need to get stuff done???" as recently as two weeks ago :sigh:

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Also keep in mind that "At-will employment" is the default policy in all 50 states.

The only time you can't be practically fired for any reason in all 50 states is if you have a labor contract stating otherwise and tiny exceptions.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/At-will_employment

Typically when you're fired it's immediate. However when you are quitting, it's customary to give 2 weeks notice like a good little Obedient Worker.

Ah yes, it appears I did confuse right to work and at will employment, ...if at will emplyoment is the default in all 50 states then workers rights in the US are actually worse than i had thought.

shut up blegum posted:

People in the US also have this weird culture of being proud of 60-80 hour workweeks. Like it's a sign of weakness if you don't put in a bazillion hours of work/week. Seems the weirdest thing ever to be proud of, but I'm just a lazy European I guess?

https://www.gov.uk/maximum-weekly-working-hours

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

But in exchange you get the right to leave whenever you want, you can just quit any time!!!!*

*If you actually do this without giving two-weeks notice you will be forever unable to use them as a reference and your new employer will probably hold it against you

I can, however, announce I'm leaving and then take any vacation days I haven't taken yet and be paid for them. I actually had a super-decent boss who when they let me go reminded me I had vacation days I hadn't taken and said there were no hard feelings if I used them up in the two-week period.

Moridin920 posted:

But yeah, being afraid to call in sick because of retribution either by firing or a cut in hours is a Real Thing. Many people can't afford to call in sick either, because paycheck to paycheck.

Dad is American, there's a chance he coulda stayed over there instead of moving here. There but for the grace of God go I, I guess.

Calico Heart has issued a correction as of 18:01 on Aug 20, 2018

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Chomp8645 posted:

Americans aren't clueless that about that fact that other countries have job security/healthcare/vacations. We aren't lied to about that. The lies are that these things come at the cost of inviting Immigrant Hordes, having grandma condemned by a Death Panel, and lazy moochers living the high life off your tax dollars.
The fact that the media can run feel-good stories about workers donating vacation time to coworkers because they are sick or want maternity leave shows Americans are clueless.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Great images everybody

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Calico Heart posted:

I can, however, announce I'm leaving and then take any vacation days I haven't taken yet and be paid for them. I actually had a super-decent boss who when they let me go reminded me I had vacation days I hadn't taken and said there were no hard feelings if I used them up in the two-week period.

PTO isn't a legal right in the US, if you have extra PTO, they can most definitely refuse to give you those vacation days.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Iron Crowned posted:

PTO isn't a legal right in the US, if you have extra PTO, they can most definitely refuse to give you those vacation days.

At my last job someone did the whole "give two weeks notice then go on vacation" thing so they fired them after one day out as one last gently caress-you I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

You know just putting myself in the mindset I think if I were loving vomiting and feeling sick as hell but knew if I phoned in my boss might fire me so I have to drive to work feeling like poo poo and spend all day in an office where my head hurts and ears are buzzing and I know I have a lovely constitution so I'll be like this all goddamn week

and you tell me that in the UK you can just phone in sick and it's nbd

I'd probably have to find some lie to tell myself about Europe too

Iron Crowned posted:

Yeah poo poo like this would make me need to believe Europe was some kind of hellhole or I'd paint the lawn with my brains