Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Mega64 posted:

The only positive is that you don't have to beat the final boss to get the good post-game lore since all that's hidden behind the initial bosses and ending is meaningless fluff anyway.

Otherwise, the lack of save points is pretty lame and the only reason to fight the final boss is for the challenge, which loses its appeal when you have to beat eight other bosses every single attempt.

The reward is a hilarious kick to the crotch too. Congrats, you've done the hardest content, now you can turn off encounters after having nothing left to do in the game!

Yeah, that reward is pretty dumb. They did the same thing in Dragon Quest 8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

I like the final boss but the 8 dorks before are embarrassingly boring. The gap between them and the boss means that they will either be a chore void of all challenge or you will very likely get thoroughly owned when you get past them. It also heavily disincentives experimenting since you can't try the hard part without 15 minutes of prep which means you're likely to end up overpowered for the final. Just the amount of menu bullshit to divide the teams, jobs etc is worth a save point.

I really hope there's a second game because the game is close to excellent.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I never even figured out if it was possible to change the B team's jobs after entering the Gate. I ended up rolling into the final boss without a subjob on Cyrus because I didn't want to go through the 8 bosses again.

So yeah, a second game with some QoL upgrades and a more coherent storyline would be aces.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Some Numbers posted:

I never even figured out if it was possible to change the B team's jobs after entering the Gate. I ended up rolling into the final boss without a subjob on Cyrus because I didn't want to go through the 8 bosses again.

So yeah, a second game with some QoL upgrades and a more coherent storyline would be aces.

There are some sidequests in this game that could be characters in another. The girl with her dragon egg, for example.

Now that I have like 60 hours into the game I kinda regret not getting the Wayfarer's edition for that coin and soundtrack. Is the latter available elsewhere?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Jet Jaguar posted:

Now that I have like 60 hours into the game I kinda regret not getting the Wayfarer's edition for that coin and soundtrack. Is the latter available elsewhere?

Same. I've checked on eBay, but they're ludicrously expensive.

Edit: Oh jeez, the "soundtrack" only has 14 songs on it, I'll keep using YouTube.

Some Numbers fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Aug 20, 2018

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Quinquadecapath Traveler is gonna fuckin own

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Some Numbers posted:

There's a thing that lets you swap characters and equipment and stuff like that within the gate, and I'm pretty sure you can use it at any time right up to when you decide to face the final boss.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Mega64 posted:

There's a thing that lets you swap characters and equipment and stuff like that within the gate, and I'm pretty sure you can use it at any time right up to when you decide to face the final boss.

Okay, I found that, the podium in the middle is basically a tavern keeper, which is nice. However, that was not very obvious.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I think OT is a great game - definitely the best game of the three Silicon Studio/Acquire/Whoever The gently caress at SE Made This and BD/BS made - with a loving terrible superboss and endgame that is structured badly. At least the gameplay basically stays always fun as opposed to BD/BS, which hits a point of the game literally playing itself and becoming a time-consuming chore about halfway through, and OT is just a game with a lot of stuff to do as opposed to overlong because everyone in the game is a fuckin' idiot who can't figure out what's actually going on until the game says so.

I think the endgame story reveals are good but suffers from the LOST problem of having every single character somehow working in concert with one another behind the scenes. LOST was able to dodge a lot of the believability complaints by teasing them out over years, with OT just dumping all of them as a bunch of text documents it makes the reveals come across as kind of hackneyed. This is especially notable in Mattias' "oh yeah, Simeon knew about me but just never said anything about it just cause".

It's still a better story overall than BD/BS, but that's an especially low bar to clear and kinda all BD/BS had going for them were fun gimmicky twists like Airy Lies or Send Player. Overall I appreciate my time spent with the game but it has some Serious Issues that can and should be corrected in a potential sequel. Of course, considering how little got fixed between BD and BS I'm not...super hopeful.

Jet Jaguar posted:

Now that I have like 60 hours into the game I kinda regret not getting the Wayfarer's edition for that coin and soundtrack.

Honestly having owned the Wayfarer's edition it's super rad, but the thing that makes it cool is the pop-up pages. The coin and soundtrack are just whatever.

If one considers BD as this studio's spin on FFIV, BS as their spin on FFV, and OT as their spin on FFVI, what would an OT2 that's their spin on FFVII look like?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

BD 1, 2, and Octopath are all FFV inspired games.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Octopath has more to do with SaGa than with Final Fantasy, but it's far more its own thing than Bravely was.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

Octopath has more to do with SaGa than with Final Fantasy, but it's far more its own thing than Bravely was.

Id say everything that isnt combat design totally, but mechanical systems feel way more ffv.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

Brandfarlig posted:

I like the final boss but the 8 dorks before are embarrassingly boring. The gap between them and the boss means that they will either be a chore void of all challenge or you will very likely get thoroughly owned when you get past them. It also heavily disincentives experimenting since you can't try the hard part without 15 minutes of prep which means you're likely to end up overpowered for the final. Just the amount of menu bullshit to divide the teams, jobs etc is worth a save point.

I really hope there's a second game because the game is close to excellent.

I loved the 8 bosses precisely because I could steamroll them after being decently challenged by the rest of the game. That and I got to listen to the sick nasty boss tracks again. The final boss tracks are merely adequate and are the main reason why the fight is skippable.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

I wrapped up m Chapter 3s this weekend. Ophilia's on my B Team so I don't have her leveled much but I wasn't expecting that boss fight. At first it seemed hopeless but I finally figured out that if I put reflect on everyone in my party it would make the bosses self-own with their all-party magic attacks. For the most part, when I have trouble with boss fights I reexamine things and figure it out without much frustration. I really like that since I hate just looking up how to break the game, etc.

That aside, I tried my first of the extra subclasses, Archmagus, and got owned pretty hard. I don't know if I should try again or come back with more levels. I'm averaging 50 on my team now.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

The Sean posted:

I wrapped up m Chapter 3s this weekend. Ophilia's on my B Team so I don't have her leveled much but I wasn't expecting that boss fight. At first it seemed hopeless but I finally figured out that if I put reflect on everyone in my party it would make the bosses self-own with their all-party magic attacks. For the most part, when I have trouble with boss fights I reexamine things and figure it out without much frustration. I really like that since I hate just looking up how to break the game, etc.

That aside, I tried my first of the extra subclasses, Archmagus, and got owned pretty hard. I don't know if I should try again or come back with more levels. I'm averaging 50 on my team now.

You should do the same thing you did for the ch3 boss

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

NieR Occomata posted:

If one considers BD as this studio's spin on FFIV, BS as their spin on FFV, and OT as their spin on FFVI, what would an OT2 that's their spin on FFVII look like?

Bravely Default and Second are both FFV. Bravely Default has basically nothing in common with FFIV (unless you count the things FFV has in common with FFIV).

Octopath Traveler also isn't particularly Final Fantasy-inspired. It's a little more like a SaGa game, with the core difference that you can do all of the characters' storylines together in one party instead of doing eight separate from-the-beginning playthroughs. (Obviously its combat and advancement systems are also very different, but structurally it has a lot more in common with SaGa than Final Fantasy.)

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Jet Jaguar posted:

Is the latter available elsewhere?
There's a four disc OST you can purchase from Amazon Japan. They also have a digital/MP3 version but as I understand it's actually pretty painful to purchase digital music from Amazon Japan with a foreign credit card, so I'd probably get the CD version and rip it.

There might be some ways to purchase the OST in the EU, but as far as I know nobody is publishing it in the US.

Edit: SA ate the Amazon link. Just go to Amazon Japan and search for "Octopath OST". It's the one for ¥4,104 that says "CD".

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Aug 20, 2018

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

Bravely Default and Second are both FFV. Bravely Default has basically nothing in common with FFIV (unless you count the things FFV has in common with FFIV).

Octopath Traveler also isn't particularly Final Fantasy-inspired. It's a little more like a SaGa game, with the core difference that you can do all of the characters' storylines together in one party instead of doing eight separate from-the-beginning playthroughs. (Obviously its combat and advancement systems are also very different, but structurally it has a lot more in common with SaGa than Final Fantasy.)

:yeah: except that Second was very much its own thing. Bravely Default was unabashedly obvious about it's "just like classic Final Fantasy"-ness. Four warriors of light? Check. Crystals? Check. White/Black/Red Mage? Check. It's like a love letter to FFI/III/V and manages to be very safe and still improve on everything (bonkers ending notwithstanding). Second took the systems of Bravely Default but did something entirely new with it and the tone of the game is way different. Octopath is... just not Final Fantasy at all. Anyone who thinks Octopath is somehow a "spiritual successor" to FFVI probably hasn't played many other (SNES) JRPGs :v: I don't mean to be rude but there really isn't much of a comparison other than "pixel art sprites" and "is a JRPG".

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

NieR Occomata posted:

I think the endgame story reveals are good but suffers from the LOST problem of having every single character somehow working in concert with one another behind the scenes. LOST was able to dodge a lot of the believability complaints by teasing them out over years, with OT just dumping all of them as a bunch of text documents it makes the reveals come across as kind of hackneyed. This is especially notable in Mattias' "oh yeah, Simeon knew about me but just never said anything about it just cause".

See, I really liked the reveals because they way they blended together was pretty subtle and seemed mostly believable, and really, some of them weren't that significant -- it wasn't like they were making every character's story secretly influence everyone else's. Alfyn was just some guy that Graham saved along his journey. Tressa was just doing her own thing really, it happened to be Graham's notebook she happened upon, but it could have easily been anyone's. Mattias maybe knew about Simeon, but why would he mention it to Ophilia? They're just linked through the Obsidian group, which is obviously hunting down power from the Gate of Finis. The "story" of the game happened quite a few years ago, we're just picking up some of the pieces left behind from the viewpoint of these characters that were affected by it.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

christ Therion's chapter 3 boss was a slog. Towards the end it was just a "shift defense, use Life Steal, use Attack, repeat" on loop and it sucked whenever his defense fell on just one thing I could do for weakness since nobody had Wind Magic and he kept blocking everything but that and 1 other weapon. Probably the worst boss I've fought so far. Hope the other Chapter 3 bosses don't follow the same rhetoric.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I feel like more than anything, once I had Octopath figured out I just rolled everything in the game trivially easily, apart from the last boss where I went in significantly lower level than I should have been for a challenge, once I figured out how to break the game, it just remained cracked open for the rest of the game.

This imo compares unfavourably with BD and BS where I thought I'd broken the game once and found later that my tactics weren't working, so I had to break it again, only to find the bosses keeping up with that, until it turns out that Square had actually figured out all the stupid tricks I was going to bring out and had their own AI do it back to me.

I also genuinely found the path action system for sidequests to be annoying as hell. It's just so utterly vague as to what you're meant to do, if you compare to a BD sidequest, like getting Susano, there's just a lot more detail in the latter game about what it expects you to do. And most of the time the rewards are absolutely worthless unless you're hitting up the endgame quests themselves, so you're not even significantly rewarded for your effort.

This isn't to say that I don't like the game, 80 hours played says I really really do. I just think it compares unfavourably to the Bravely series in a lot of ways that count.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I think the Path action system was a cool idea, but yeah, the sidequests were implemented poorly.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Your Computer posted:

:yeah: except that Second was very much its own thing. Bravely Default was unabashedly obvious about it's "just like classic Final Fantasy"-ness. Four warriors of light? Check. Crystals? Check. White/Black/Red Mage? Check. It's like a love letter to FFI/III/V and manages to be very safe and still improve on everything (bonkers ending notwithstanding). Second took the systems of Bravely Default but did something entirely new with it and the tone of the game is way different. Octopath is... just not Final Fantasy at all. Anyone who thinks Octopath is somehow a "spiritual successor" to FFVI probably hasn't played many other (SNES) JRPGs :v: I don't mean to be rude but there really isn't much of a comparison other than "pixel art sprites" and "is a JRPG".

Yeah, that's a solid point. And one of my favorite things about Bravely Second (a game that I unfortunately kinda bounced off of despite loving Default) is that it frontloads its unique jobs. It still has the inherited-from-FF jobs, but it makes them optional and part of side quests, while its new jobs are front and center. It's a good move that helps to make the early game exciting for people who've played Bravely Default already--you get new toys right away.

Natural 20 posted:

This imo compares unfavourably with BD and BS where I thought I'd broken the game once and found later that my tactics weren't working, so I had to break it again, only to find the bosses keeping up with that, until it turns out that Square had actually figured out all the stupid tricks I was going to bring out and had their own AI do it back to me.

That's something I really loved about Bravely Default, for sure.

Before it came out, I was worried that Bravely Default would have this fun, flexible job system, but I wouldn't ever really have to think very hard about it because the game would be so easy I could just throw together anything and steamroll most of it. I was so, so happy to find that wasn't the case. I played on Hard the whole way through and I felt like the difficulty was really well-balanced for that.

There's a brief time between the end of Chapter 4 and Chapter 8 where you can pretty reasonably have a godlike team composition that lets you meet any challenge, especially once you realize that all of the truly dangerous direct-damage attacks (including the ones your party can use) are physical, even if they're also elemental. That means anything that prevents physical damage, like Ninjas or Templars, can keep you safe from like 90% of things that can nuke you down. For example, physical immunity skills will let you breeze right through the Chapter 4 dragon bosses and the Vampire boss, because all of their really powerful attacks look magical but are actually physical. But then the four-asterisk boss fights at the end of Chapter 8 really make you switch things up (especially if you rely on the Red Mage BP battery strategy, because leaving yourself open to status effects is not a great idea in some of those fights) and that's a lot of fun to navigate and play with. Not to mention the Ba'als you can fight, too.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Aug 20, 2018

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Kashuno posted:

You should do the same thing you did for the ch3 boss

Thanks for the reinforcement. For Ophilia's I had my main, Cyrus, as a cleric, too, so it was easier to have reflect on at all times. I'll give it a more dedicated shot tonight. Thanks!

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

BD suffers from similar problems as FF15: starts off great but after you're 60% or so through the main story, everything turns to poo poo and suddenly you're stuck in this terrible loop. Also the main character's name is "Tiz" which is as bad as "Butz." Regardless I'd love a new refined version of the BD system because the first game had a lot of promise and a new one game would probably do extremely well on Switch.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

DLC Inc posted:

BD suffers from similar problems as FF15: starts off great but after you're 60% or so through the main story, everything turns to poo poo and suddenly you're stuck in this terrible loop. Also the main character's name is "Tiz" which is as bad as "Butz." Regardless I'd love a new refined version of the BD system because the first game had a lot of promise and a new one game would probably do extremely well on Switch.
I know I'm in the minority but I really liked the terrible loop and the meta aspects of it :saddowns: Tiz is a dumb name though, much like Butz. In my language it sounds exactly like "pee" which is hilarious, just like Butz. I'm an adult.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Your Computer posted:

I know I'm in the minority but I really liked the terrible loop and the meta aspects of it :saddowns: Tiz is a dumb name though, much like Butz. In my language it sounds exactly like "pee" which is hilarious, just like Butz. I'm an adult.

It would be great without chapter 5.

But then you wouldn't default 4 times to brave at the end.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

The Sean posted:

Thanks for the reinforcement. For Ophilia's I had my main, Cyrus, as a cleric, too, so it was easier to have reflect on at all times. I'll give it a more dedicated shot tonight. Thanks!

Do you have someone with the Dancer's Divine Skill? That makes it way way easier.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Natural 20 posted:

It would be great without chapter 5.

But then you wouldn't default 4 times to brave at the end.

Oh poo poo I hope that was an intentional meta reference gently caress

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It absolutely was.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

How did I miss that

Could... could I be insanely stupid? Oh no

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Everything in Bravely Default is a meta reference, for better or for worse :pram:

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

How bad is the Battle Tested drop rates? I've spent hours trying to get this drat sword.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Finally finished my first (and main's) Chapter 4 (Olberic). 'twas decent enough. Sorcerer Cyrus kinda broke the boss hard, but Olberic was doing fairly high damage anyhow.

Also got a 100x EXP Bewildering Dance on the way so Olberic/Primrose/Tressa/Cyrus now solidly outlevel everyone else.

Guess I should just grab Runelord/Warmaster and start plugging away at the other seven Chapter 4s.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

Yukari posted:

How bad is the Battle Tested drop rates? I've spent hours trying to get this drat sword.

3%

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Yukari posted:

You don't need to grind for them, the "free" one you get is enough.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!
What level should my party be to take on the extra job bosses? My A team just cracked 40, should I wait to hit 50 or give it a whirl?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Having a hard time getting into this game. I just finished everyone’s chapter 1s and it feels like the game is getting super repetitive now, without a lot of interesting stuff to keep me going. The dungeons and areas are boring, the story is usually bog standard, and there’s not enough (i.e. any) party banter to endear me to the characters. Does it ever get better?

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
There's no banter in chapter 1s, it starts during chapter 2s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Even then it only happens at set points in each chapter, and only if the character is in your party, and you can miss it, so I'd either look up an order list somewhere (GameFAQs board has it in a sticky thread) or, and I recommend this, look them up on Youtube after each chapter.

It's a really dumb system.