Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
whats ur poison
beer (american piss)
beer (hipster craft poo poo)
beer (german wheat beer)
beer (blonde)
beer (brown (belgian)
white wine
red wine
whiskey
vodka
other liquor
my tears after a long day of programming
piss
water
gas
View Results

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

big scary monsters posted:

i saw a video of a hairy guy with a very long beard living on a remote scottish island drinking mushroom wine in his caravan, and i thought if it's good enough for hermit dwarves then it's good enough for me

i hate you for making me know this exists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

blessteban

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Beast of Bourbon posted:

esteban is getting the sleepy needle today, and i'm pouring him a saucer of pappy van winkle in a few hours.

my condolences :(

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

one of my favorite things from college was my history of public policy class which dedicated a few weeks to prohibition and it was incredible to learn how absolutely falling-down-drunk everyone was, all the time, pre-prohibition.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

SO DEMANDING posted:

and then laphroaig was serving pina colada made with their 10 year whiskey. :pwn:

would.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
grand sud merlot

it's alright

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

my bitter bi rival posted:

one of my favorite things from college was my history of public policy class which dedicated a few weeks to prohibition and it was incredible to learn how absolutely falling-down-drunk everyone was, all the time, pre-prohibition.

elaborate?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Stringent posted:

elaborate?

7 gallons pure ethanol per person per year on average

so the equivalent of almost two 750mL bottles of 80-proof liquor per person per week

and since there was a sizable percentage of the population that didn’t drink or barely drank…

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
https://local.theonion.com/grocery-store-bar-actually-has-great-little-happy-hour-1828464175

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

What you guys don't have a fifth of whisky each day?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
i'm gonna drink a litre of this merlot

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

spankmeister posted:

What you guys don't have a fifth of whisky each day?

found tori's alt account

roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

roboshit posted:

im taking a break for a while because i keep getting fatter despite eating right and working out

it’s almost like all these high gravity beers have 300+ calories each

welp I lasted 4 days

roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

this makes me feel better about my drinking problem ty :sweatdrop:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

drinking problem? alcohol never hurt anyone

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
mushroom wine update: secondary fermentation appears to be complete, racked it to a new gallon jug and now i have to leave it for a month to settle out the remaining sediment and age

i took the opportunity to test the abv: it's 17% lol. i was aiming for 12.5%

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

are you a dwarf

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
the average height in yospos is 6'9" so yes

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
so you’re 4’20” like tori

going to make a disturbing mural about elephants?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
i'm just going to make weird wines and then drink them i think. wine making seems super easy so far, except for that you have to wait for months to see if they actually taste at all good or if you wasted your time

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
could you ferment magic mushrooms to make hallucinogenic wine

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
yeah probably, you can make tea with magic mushrooms so i guess hot water doesn't affect their potency and i can't think of anything else in the fermentation process that would cause problems. yeast just eats sugar, sulfites kill bacteria and fungi but i don't think they'd harm the active compounds, and otherwise you're meant to store the wine in a dark, cool place and protect it from oxidizing anyway

it's mushroom season so try it and let us know how it goes?

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

mushroom wine update: secondary fermentation appears to be complete, racked it to a new gallon jug and now i have to leave it for a month to settle out the remaining sediment and age

i took the opportunity to test the abv: it's 17% lol. i was aiming for 12.5%
nice. is it wine made from mushrooms or wine fermented with psilocybin mushrooms in it?

post hole digger fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Aug 25, 2018

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Improbable Lobster posted:

psilocybin beer was a viking thing and its easy to make homebrew with magic mushrooms in it.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

my bitter bi rival posted:

nice. is it wine made from mushrooms or wine fermented with psilocybin mushrooms in it?

it's wine made from mushrooms, non-hallucinogenic type. tastes a bit like a chardonnay at the moment but with bubbles and, uh, a mushroomy aftertaste. should improve with age i hope

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

yeah probably, you can make tea with magic mushrooms so i guess hot water doesn't affect their potency and i can't think of anything else in the fermentation process that would cause problems. yeast just eats sugar, sulfites kill bacteria and fungi but i don't think they'd harm the active compounds, and otherwise you're meant to store the wine in a dark, cool place and protect it from oxidizing anyway

it's mushroom season so try it and let us know how it goes?

can you link a guide or something to mushroom wine? i might actually give it a shot

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

it's wine made from mushrooms, non-hallucinogenic type. tastes a bit like a chardonnay at the moment but with bubbles and, uh, a mushroomy aftertaste. should improve with age i hope

the gently caress kind of Chardonnay you been drinking?

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

yeah if you live in a wine producing country an $8 bottle of wine is vastly better than cooking wine and will improve your food (probably even if you don't live in a wine country).
i love the local store's "great wines under $9.99" shelf. all picked by staff

yes, with the bonus that alcohol enhances and prolongs the effects of psilocybin

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
had a nice sour last night at indie, tasted kinda like rodenbach cru

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Stringent posted:

the gently caress kind of Chardonnay you been drinking?

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
how much mushroom wine did you make? if i send you a shipping label will you send me a bottle? this is very intriguing to me.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

mushroom wine is completely confounding sounding

zilch ideas about how that'd actually taste

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

You can ferment pretty much anything so it's not surprising imo.

I would imagine mushroom wine tastes earthy and meaty. I've never tried it though.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

spankmeister posted:

You can ferment pretty much anything so it's not surprising imo.

I would imagine mushroom wine tastes earthy and meaty. I've never tried it though.

I imagine that too, except I've never let mushroom water sit in in a jug for weeks :witch:

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones
i bought some mushroom absinthe when i was in north korea because they are apparently real big into mushrooms

it was without a doubt the most vile thing i've ever tried and i've seen people drink a shot and throw up immediately. what i'm saying is maybe proceed with caution here

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

can you link a guide or something to mushroom wine? i might actually give it a shot
yeah i can't promise this wine is going to be good or even drinkable but this is basically the recipe i used: http://www.happyhomestead.co.uk/mushroomwine.html

rather than marmite i used 1 tsp yeast nutrient and you can also replace the cup of tea with grape tannins. i also added potassium metabisulfite so that it doesn't grow weird poo poo in there. transferred from the primary fermentation vessel to secondary at specific gravity 1.010 (6 days for me), then racked when the wine was dry (only took another five days). i added sugar for an original gravity of 1.090 but i guess i hosed up or mushrooms contain more sugar than i thought because at racking the hydrometer just sank (meaning SG <0.990) and according to the vinometer the ABV is sitting at 17%

Lyon posted:

how much mushroom wine did you make? if i send you a shipping label will you send me a bottle? this is very intriguing to me.
looks like it's going to be about 5l. i'm happy to send you a bottle when it's done but this is my first time making wine and i live in norway so i the shipping is probably going to be a lot for what might end up being a pretty terrible drink... actually this is probably a perfect yosmas present nowi think about it

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Aug 26, 2018

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

All I want for yosmas is a bottle of bathtub shroom wine from Norway.

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 371 days!
i understand mushroom vodka, but mushroom wine has me confused and slightly horrified. props for skipping the marmite, i think

spankmeister posted:

All I want for yosmas is a bottle of bathtub shroom wine from Norway.

:agreed:

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
i feel like if i'm sending stuff out it should probably at least be like cloudberry wine or whale vodka or something else with ingredients you can't easily get elsewhere, not cooking mushrooms that are probably grown in poland

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

i feel like if i'm sending stuff out it should probably at least be like cloudberry wine or whale vodka or something else with ingredients you can't easily get elsewhere, not cooking mushrooms that are probably grown in poland

Are you apetor?