Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Goon spotted

https://twitter.com/redditships/status/1030912215854006273

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
Are there any good, accurate representations of 17th century pike combat? The only thing I can really think of recently is the Battle of the Bastards in GoT which is wildly (and hilariously) inaccurate and implausible even for the medieval period it's supposedly based on.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
If not for the name of Henry and being born in the UK, it could be Hey Guns.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

Are there any good, accurate representations of 17th century pike combat? The only thing I can really think of recently is the Battle of the Bastards in GoT which is wildly (and hilariously) inaccurate and implausible even for the medieval period it's supposedly based on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAcoekA2Zs8

iirc Hegel has a bunch of nitpicks but this generally gets it right with the giant caveat that its a movie so don't take any real conclusions

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Wow, I honestly didn't think there were still people like this. He may be a younger son, but isn't there still some expectation that he marry someone of appropriate station to benefit his family rather than some filthy commoner just because he (presumably) loves her?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I suspect this person just enjoys being an rear end in a top hat

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

Wow, I honestly didn't think there were still people like this. He may be a younger son, but isn't there still some expectation that he marry someone of appropriate station to benefit his family rather than some filthy commoner just because he (presumably) loves her?

Being a 21st century Jacobite isn't a posh person thing. It's a weirdo thing. I guarantee that his family will be just be grateful that they've found someone to take care of the family oddball.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
In case you've not noticed, we Brits are loving weird.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Wanna meet that dude. He sounds fascinatingly awful.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Fangz posted:

I suspect this person just enjoys being an rear end in a top hat

Dont sign ur posts

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I bet I could get him really riled up by insisting all his family's titles are illegitimate because they stem from William of Normandy's legal chicanery and invasion and that I only recognize the pre-Conquest Anglo-Saxon nobility.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I bet the dude has his own tacky modern heraldry and everything.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I stumbled on this deleted scene from "Fury"

I've only seen the movie once and wasn't that into it, but I can't think of a deleted scene that so completely changes both the movies main character and the general meaning of the movie.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

JcDent posted:

If not for the name of Henry and being born in the UK, it could be Hey Guns.
this guy's a jacobite

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

not really, no.

also being a jacobite and also someone who owes his family station to the non-jacobite queen of england is an interesting logical dilemma

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

WoodrowSkillson posted:

iirc Hegel has a bunch of nitpicks but this generally gets it right with the giant caveat that its a movie so don't take any real conclusions
i do, everyone's too close together for the start

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

SeanBeansShako posted:

I bet the dude has his own tacky modern heraldry and everything.

I just want to know if Mrs. Rees-Mogg knows that her husband is cheating on her with this woman.

In all seriousness, I knew somebody whose grandfather was a Jacobite. Really High Church, used to toast the King Over the Water.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !

HEY GUNS posted:

lol mine doesn't fit for poo poo but a really good set that is handmade like they did at the time and fits me would start at $700

I was under the impression that Early Modern cuirasses were mostly munition pieces, made in bulk and not tailored to the person. Is that not the case ?

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

The only thing I can really think of recently is the Battle of the Bastards in GoT which is wildly (and hilariously) inaccurate and implausible even for the medieval period it's supposedly based on.

For me, the most implausible thing about The Battle of the Bastards is that anybody would follow Ramsey Bolton. It's not even just that Bolton is a bad person. . .his father was a bad person. Buy Ramsey is incompetant, unpredictable, has no regard for tradition and custom, and no regard for the rights and the lives of his vassals and sworn men.

I mean, at one point in the battle, he orders archers to fire into his own men. At that point, if you're a Bolton knight, you say, "Screw this, I'm out of here."

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Monarchies and all the silly ceremonial trappings involved with hereditary nobility amuse the hell out of me, and I'm opposed to their abolition because of that.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
you really have to pay attention to issues of historical accuracy in movies with dragons

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Epicurius posted:

For me, the most implausible thing about The Battle of the Bastards is that anybody would follow Ramsey Bolton. It's not even just that Bolton is a bad person. . .his father was a bad person. Buy Ramsey is incompetant, unpredictable, has no regard for tradition and custom, and no regard for the rights and the lives of his vassals and sworn men.

Yeah, nobody like that has ever had a large following in real life. It's so unrealistic.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Kafouille posted:

I was under the impression that Early Modern cuirasses were mostly munition pieces, made in bulk and not tailored to the person. Is that not the case ?
it is the case for the vast majority. but sometimes i still want my armor to fit. or even to not-fit less poorly. every other pikeman in this brigade is quite large. I'm...not.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Ramsey hosed Stannis and Co with 20 good men

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Epicurius posted:

I mean, at one point in the battle, he orders archers to fire into his own men. At that point, if you're a Bolton knight, you say, "Screw this, I'm out of here."

Mounds of bodies 10 feet high in a battle they actually say beforehand consists of less than 5,000 troops per side. The stupid shield wall/pike thing pressing the survivors into the body mountains that professional soldiers wouldn't be able to pull off in battle conditions even with tons of training. Even setting aside the Snow army's loss of cohesion right at the start because of the pell-mell charge after the kid is shot, almost nothing that happens is realistic :( Its a shame, because the cinematography following Snow in the midst of the battle is EXTRAORDINARY, it's unlike anything I've seen representing the period it's based on. And yeah, the idea that Ramsay is in control enough to have his army of dudes that (mostly, probably) are still more loyal to the Starks firing on their own friends. Rule by terror only gets you so far.

The dragon attack on the wagon train felt more realistic, and it involved a loving fire-breathing dragon.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Thanks, I'll check this out tonight. Hey Gal, what is badly inaccurate beyond standing too close? I'm more interested in the tactics and styles involved than, say, costuming inaccuracies.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

HEY GUNS posted:

also being a jacobite and also someone who owes his family station to the non-jacobite queen of england is an interesting logical dilemma

Does he though, if his family is that old? We didn't wholesale replace our aristocracy in 1689.

(Assuming this is real and assuming he isn't lying of course )

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

Thanks, I'll check this out tonight. Hey Gal, what is badly inaccurate beyond standing too close? I'm more interested in the tactics and styles involved than, say, costuming inaccuracies.
not enough dudes in the battalion
because they are standing too close, the musketeers in all the shots with musketeers in them stand in front of the pike rather than between them. the small distance between everyone also forces the musketeers to struggle past the pikemen when they come up to fire. it's as though the choreographers knew that musketeers had a rotating thing where the first guy in line fired, then turned around and walked to the end of the line, but they didn't know how this would work because--again--everyone's too close together

edit: there are some things a battalion does that is not pike interspersed with shot, a long time ago rabhadh posted a diagram of them. I don't think the battalion in this clip is trying to do that though.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Aug 20, 2018

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

bewbies posted:

you really have to pay attention to issues of historical accuracy in movies with dragons

Yeah, I'm aware. I just explained why above :)

Milo and POTUS posted:

Ramsey hosed Stannis and Co with 20 good men

Eh, that was a raid on dudes already losing hope and starving at night in the middle of nowhere. They didn't really make a pitched fight of it either, they just killed horses, started fires, and got the gently caress out. 20 is low, but not extremely so. Remember, that also happened right after everyone watched Stannis burn his daughter at the stake, too. Bad for morale, that. The major effects on Stannis were the desertions that followed and loss of food more than the raid itself.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Folks, it's true.

What poo poo is this? "Final Solution" is a direct translation of "Endlösung", a phrase "Nazi Command" uttered all the loving time. How can someone be so stupid and not just choke because they forgot how to breath? :argh:

Edit:

In diesem einen Satz ist soviel Doofheit konzentriert, er steht in ernsthafter Gefahr, unter seinem eigenen Gewicht zusammenzubrechen und zu einem Schwarzen Loch der Dummheit zu werden.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

I was expecting this to be about Henry VIII, alas the ages don't match.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

I was waiting for a punchline, where it's revealed that whoever posted this was pretending to be some historical figure.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

bewbies posted:

I stumbled on this deleted scene from "Fury"

I've only seen the movie once and wasn't that into it, but I can't think of a deleted scene that so completely changes both the movies main character and the general meaning of the movie.

The sentiment of the crew seeking death for their sins is already in the film. Wardaddy is a German-American whose self-hatred is on display throughout the movie, particularly so in the scene with the German women. Other crew members affirm to Norman their suspicions that they are going to hell. I think it's a little disappointing that the forceful orders only seems to press on Norman, because it gives the impression that he's merely being bullied or witnessing tragedies rather than being absorbed into a hellish environment.

Norman going off on a quasi-supernatural bit about being born in the caul seems weird but I don't remember the movie that well and haven't watched any other scenes, it could be alright.

The field of dead holocaust victims in their striped uniforms seems more like a shallow afterthought than anything meaningful.

Also there's a shot at the end of the movie where the Sherman tank is Jesus Christ on a cross.

bewbies posted:

They're mostly just bad because people fail to act like human beings, any extra or band of soldiers is totally meaningless in the series because they will be thrown away or win spectacularily based on whatever the plot demands. It's a story about a fantasy medieval world, except all the nobility and their soldiers are destroyed at like a 90% casualty rate. You'd think the peasants would have just formed their own society at this point.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

This is absolutely insane.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

also the flags are very small

irl infantry flags are like...six feet square

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Actually, speaking of this, the artillery barrage at the beginning appears to depict exploding shot; was that at all common during this period for a field battle? It's obviously preferable for a safety of filming perspective, but it strikes me as unlikely to be accurate, and also just less effective than solid shot at breaking apart a mass of dudes like that.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

WoodrowSkillson posted:

The tactics of the cavalry doesn't seem terribly sensible. Pretty sure they didn't shoot their pistols into the air like cowboys in a Western.

The guys with cavalry and artillery don't seem to use them very cohesively. I thought you're supposed to use the cavalry to make them form squares, then shoot the squares with cannon?

Fangz fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Aug 20, 2018

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Fangz posted:

The tactics of the cavalry doesn't seem terribly sensible. Pretty sure they didn't shoot their pistols into the air like cowboys in a Western.

The guys with cavalry and artillery don't seem to use them very cohesively. I thought you're supposed to use the cavalry to make them form squares, then shoot the squares with cannon?

It's indirect fire at squares over the hill.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I watched a video in which a guy was talking about the defenses they put up on one beach in Britain and there were mounted flamethrowers buried in the sand. Was that sort of thing done anywhere else, and if so, how effective is it? It certainly looks scary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nl2mQ2HiJZc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

SlothfulCobra posted:

I watched a video in which a guy was talking about the defenses they put up on one beach in Britain and there were mounted flamethrowers buried in the sand. Was that sort of thing done anywhere else, and if so, how effective is it? It certainly looks scary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nl2mQ2HiJZc

At least the USSR had them as well. They were classified as incendiary mines, but were really just tanks of fuel with nozzles sticking out toward the enemy advance.

FOG-2