Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Nothing else I have ever done in any GTA game is as fun as shooting people randomly and then seeing how long I can fight the police before they take me out. And that's really what you do in a lot of games. The storylines are just a bore, and the series' tragically misplaced and growing obsession with realism has turned into the world's worst racing game.

Yeah that's what made GTA1 and GTA2 so good, they didn't have any story or bullshit missions like racing, they were deliberately unrealistic playgrounds of cartoony violence. Hotline Miami took a ton of influence from those early GTA games, and it's closer to a spiritual GTA2 sequel than GTA3 was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

It's generally not an unpopular opinion that Saint's Row became GTA, while GTA itself became a brain-damaged version of a Scorsese movie.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

Everyone touts Origins as an actually “good game” but I’ve watched so much footage of the game that clearly indicates “no it’s still bad”

yeah man I watched that dunkey video too

Game's pretty good though

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Nothing else I have ever done in any GTA game is as fun as shooting people randomly and then seeing how long I can fight the police before they take me out. And that's really what you do in a lot of games. The storylines are just a bore, and the series' tragically misplaced and growing obsession with realism has turned into the world's worst racing game.

See, for me, that was fun for a bit, but what was actually fun in grand theft auto was finding all the cool weird poo poo. Like finding the ice cream truck missions and the remote control car bombs and the tank, all that poo poo was awesome, but more so there were just tons of cool secrets. Like I think it's on the very first level of gta1? There's just a green car parked on similar green grass. It's weird enough that you realise it must be a 'thing', but inconspicuous enough that you feel clever for noticing it. You get in, and just hold accelerate, and the car zooms forward for ages, narrowly avoiding trees, zipping between buildings and down alleys and finally hitting a jump that land it in an otherwise inaccessible scrap yard.

I find the new gta games so devoid of all that chill stuff.

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
since people were talking about oblivion -

i just started playing it the other day having never played it before. I really really enjoy the jumping physics and am enjoying trying to scale random buildings I see. It's very good for that. I wish it didn't zoom on peoples faces when i talk to them.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I still enjoyed San Andreas but none of the other 3D ones, SA at least had good characters and was funny. GTA1 was really fun, mowing down the conga lines of orange shirted guys or putting a bunch of cars on railroad tracks to blow them all up, outrunning the police and so on.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Ashmole posted:

I think MGSV may have been better as a spin off. I thought it was a fun game but it didn't feel like a Metal Gear game to me.

Mechanically, it's the best game ever made.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I like the assassins creed meta plot, not that I think the actual plot is good or well done or anything but as a framing device it is good

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

fridge corn posted:

I like the assassins creed meta plot, not that I think the actual plot is good or well done or anything but as a framing device it is good

The puzzle sequences of 2 and brotherhood where you found out more about the modern day stuff were the best parts

looming resonance
Sep 7, 2010
I don't understand the appeal of Souls-style games. I've tried to get into them; I've sunk hours into DS1, DS2, Bloodborne, Nioh, and even Salt and Sanctuary, and I just don't get what it is about them that makes them so appealing to others.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Do you like action games like Ninja Gaiden or God of War, tho? If not, you might just not like the overall genre to begin with.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Ocean Book posted:

since people were talking about oblivion -

i just started playing it the other day having never played it before. I really really enjoy the jumping physics and am enjoying trying to scale random buildings I see. It's very good for that. I wish it didn't zoom on peoples faces when i talk to them.

man you're in for a ride. i hate on it a lot but oblivion does have a lot of fun inside if you can find it (<- unpopular opinion). one really big thing to note (if you haven't somehow heard this in the 12 years since the game came out) is that you basically have to level up your combat skills every level - or avoid leveling up entirely. the way the level scaling works means that every time you level up the monsters across the whole goddamn world (uh, worlds, I guess) get stronger, and if you spent that level on underwater basket weaving or elf-orc diplomacy instead of sneak-better and shoot-better, you're significantly worse off than you were before you leveled

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

looming resonance posted:

I don't understand the appeal of Souls-style games. I've tried to get into them; I've sunk hours into DS1, DS2, Bloodborne, Nioh, and even Salt and Sanctuary, and I just don't get what it is about them that makes them so appealing to others.

These games have a “click” moment where you either start to get it or you don’t

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

food court bailiff posted:

man you're in for a ride. i hate on it a lot but oblivion does have a lot of fun inside if you can find it (<- unpopular opinion). one really big thing to note (if you haven't somehow heard this in the 12 years since the game came out) is that you basically have to level up your combat skills every level - or avoid leveling up entirely. the way the level scaling works means that every time you level up the monsters across the whole goddamn world (uh, worlds, I guess) get stronger, and if you spent that level on underwater basket weaving or elf-orc diplomacy instead of sneak-better and shoot-better, you're significantly worse off than you were before you leveled

Surely someone modded a skyrim-like levelling system at some point

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

I'm only a couple hours in but I can't say that I'm enthralled by this new god of war game. this kid sucks and I wish he would shut up

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi

im thinking of just seeing what is accomplishable with only sneaking, jumping, and talking since ive already played a smoother shoot and kill everything TES game with skyrim and there is a social mechanic im otherwise inclined to ignore entirely.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

a new study bible! posted:

Mechanically, it's the best game ever made.

The mechanics are great, it's the design that's bad.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
It's certainly a game that's ripe for a modding tool kit to create new levels and enemy types, and balance out some of the lethal vs non-lethal stuff

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah, so many people myself included first tried Demon's or Dark at first and dropped it like 2 hours in assuming you need to be some autistic weirdo to want to trudge through some weird hardcore RPG nonsense like that. Then the hype didn't go away, only got more mainstream, and you are figured you must have missed something.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

BioMe posted:

Yeah, so many people myself included first tried Demon's or Dark at first and dropped it like 2 hours in assuming you need to be some autistic weirdo to want to trudge through some weird hardcore RPG nonsense like that. Then the hype didn't go away, only got more mainstream, and you are figured you must have missed something.

Demon's Soul was legit just weird and didn't get super good until later in, but I liked Dark Souls a lot for the little details that flesh out the world. But I'm also the "look at everything" type so that might be part of why I liked it (the combat felt good as gently caress too, it's rare to find an RPG with good feeling combat)

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Demon's beginning was also very off-putting because there were a lot of tasks you could get sidetracked on that were not clearly signposted as "come back here after you beat the first boss and can level up", so you'd get lost in this loop of building up souls, dieing, try to get back where you were, die again, try to get back where you were but die before you can reclaim your souls, get frustrated, try again, get frustrated, repeat. It was only after you beat phalanx that things opened up.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

the souls games are way good if you like action games and the kinds of settings and tones they convey, but the learning curve is steep enough that it's impossible to judge someone for bouncing off

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
In Super Mario Odyssey there is a song that Pauline sings when you go to the city and it's all fun and good but one of the lyrics rhymes "Odyssey" with "Yessee" and I hate it.

Also I thought the whole game was kinda overyhyped and the supposedly super hard final secret level wasn't as hard as the one from Super Mario 3D World.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

It took me three playthrough tries and 22 hours before I "got" Dark Souls.

40-Degree Day
Sep 24, 2012

super mario odyssey is a mostly boring filler game broken up by interesting platforming challenge rooms

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

punk rebel ecks posted:

It took me three playthrough tries and 22 hours before I "got" Dark Souls.

that's basically stockholm syndrome

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I purchased Dark Souls more I less because I heard you could attack other players in their single player RPG's and that sounded pretty dope. I also didn't have a PlayStation so I hadn't played Demon Souls.

With no experience at all I popped a cracked red orb before I had even cleared the Taurus Demon. With my +0 long sword and heater shield I was ready to take on the world. It was my first online interaction in the game. My opponent was a similar level of noob, and also a Fighter start (so heater shield). For several minutes straight we took turns pummeling each other with full stamina bars of light attacks directly into each other's raised shields. Eventually one of us figured out how to kick, a complete game changer. It was a fight between two complete and utter scrubs and it was a glorious. After probably 10 minutes of this sweaty, white knuckle affair I emerged victorious, and I wanted more. I was hungry for blood. Then a giant demon threw me off a wall, and a flamboyant homosexual invited me to get jolly with him.

I "got" Dark Souls.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

I am legit disappointed they never finished the meta plot in AssCreed, mainly because the writer left, and the new team clearly has no idea wtf to do except close it with a lame Cortana like third rate drama

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

mario odyssey is great but 3D world is better

3D land is also great

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

3D Land is the best Mario game in the series. (Note: I haven't played Odyessy yet).

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

3D Land is the best Mario game in the series. (Note: I haven't played Odyessy yet).

have you played 3d world? if so what do you prefer about land? actually curious here, it's just been a while since I've played either but as far as I recall world is like land-but-more

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

have you played 3d world? if so what do you prefer about land? actually curious here, it's just been a while since I've played either but as far as I recall world is like land-but-more

World is exactly like Land, but I felt that the level design just wasn't as well crafted. I realize that is very subjective, but the levels in Land are just more fun to play and especially replay.

World does have multiplayer and the ability to play as multiple characters which is a huge plus but that's where the superority ends to me. Also the 3D effects in Land really contribute to the gameplay as it is easier to judge depth.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
3D Land is the one bright spot of the brief period in 2012 when I owned a launch model 3DS.

IDONTPOST
Apr 18, 2018

dark souls sucks rear end as does bloodborne dark souls 2 and 3 are good though.

looming resonance
Sep 7, 2010

1redflag posted:

Do you like action games like Ninja Gaiden or God of War, tho? If not, you might just not like the overall genre to begin with.

Yeah, I like the Devil May Cry series (since this is unpopular opinions, might as well throw it in that I thought DmC: Devil May Cry wasn't that bad) and Bayonetta, as well as a bunch of older PS2 ones like Bujingai and Genji. I think the problem is that combat in those is normally very fast and focused towards flashy combos whereas in Souls games the combat's much slower and more considered.

BioMe posted:

I normally give up around 6 - 10 hours in, thinking "I'm not enjoying this, and I could be playing something else I actually enjoy", and then a few weeks later I find myself thinking I must've missed something about them and giving them another go with a different build.

E:

Bust Rodd posted:

Every time I restart one I tell myself "this time, I'm gonna find that moment"; I sort of found it with Salt and Sanctuary, but to be fair that's a 2D MetroidVania and I love them, so it's not that surprising.

looming resonance fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Aug 22, 2018

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

What's people's deal with DmC anyway? It's the only Devil May Cry game I ever played and I thought it was fun.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The combat in DmC is an extremely watered-down, Kindergarten version of the DMC3/4 combat engines and the earnest, apolitical cheese of the series was completely blindsided by the edgelord storyline with Fox News as the bad guy and Rupert Murdoch as the literal devil.

It honestly would have been a fine action brawler about a scrawny punk kid but they had to make it a Devil May Cry game instead of its own thing and also killed everything the fans loved about the series.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
If i had known dmc was big gently caress you to murdoch i might have played it. It looks dumb otherwise.

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
the final super secret hard as gently caress level in super mario 3d world owned and more games should be like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

baroque is a sweet fuckin game and if they ported the Wii version to the Switch as a budget digital title I would buy it again