Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Speaking of magnificence, if you don't know what an s or a level item does it pays off to look it up.

Don't pick up bad a or s items

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Which is why I turned it off because I don't like being punished for experimenting and not knowing.

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up
Anyone know offhand what weapons let you see items in chests? I know the exotic does but I think there are a couple of others.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
I think only synergy buffs do that besides the exotic

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Getting to Bullet Hell with enough hearts to survive is pretty dang hard on its own, I wonder if attempting to go for the Advanced Dragun would be a better use of my time

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

spit on my clit posted:

Getting to Bullet Hell with enough hearts to survive is pretty dang hard on its own, I wonder if attempting to go for the Advanced Dragun would be a better use of my time

advanced dragun is significantly harder because you need to either get a lucky weird egg drop or a successful two-key rat run and also enough trash gear to sacrifice

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
I found out you do indeed have to do bullet hell the first time you try to cross

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
"get trash" is easier than making GBS threads on the pilot for sucking egg rear end, but I guess I'll need to play some punchout before trying the Rat

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up

Snazzy Frocks posted:

I think only synergy buffs do that besides the exotic

Do you know those by chance? Doesn't seem like its something I can search for on the wiki.

Also does the evil muncher's guns eaten carry across playthroughs? I've already unlocked the gunslinger's ashes, so I'm wondering if its worth giving it trash guns each time I find it and eventually get a S or A weapon from it on some run. Cause you usually don't get enough guns in one run to sacrifice to it.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Destro posted:

Also does the evil muncher's guns eaten carry across playthroughs? I've already unlocked the gunslinger's ashes, so I'm wondering if its worth giving it trash guns each time I find it and eventually get a S or A weapon from it on some run. Cause you usually don't get enough guns in one run to sacrifice to it.

I know the first time carries over up to 10 guns for Gunslinger's Ashes. After that, I think it just takes a random amount of guns to give you an A or S gun. I don't know if it carries over, but as far as I know it's randomized.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Destro posted:

Do you know those by chance? Doesn't seem like its something I can search for on the wiki.

go to the synergy page and ctrl+f 'chest' theres only three synergies that do it i think

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Having terrible A and S items and having extremely good B, C, and D items, imho defeats the purpose of magnificence.

Why not have it be completely random?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Neopie posted:

I keep hearing tale of cheat engine scripts- could someone link those? Also, how difficult are they to use for someone with no experience using cheat engine?

Here's the link to the table: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1tqL7kIbphHnb10Upw4se_Dh8C9sppHI0

For some basic Cheat Engine interaction help: Open the table, then attach CE to the game. Or the other way around. Either way, you should then start off by activating the first script, the one that says "RUN ME FIRST" to make the other ones work. You 'activate' an entry in the table by clicking on the little box to the left of it, or selecting it and hitting the space bar. The little box should then have a red cross in it.
Doing this on a script, well, activates its effects. Doing this on an entry that displays a value (like keys, like etc.) will freeze that value.
On any entry that's not a script, you can change the value manually by double-clicking it (it's at the right of an entry). Sometimes you can enter a number (and if the entry says 'Float' somewhere, you can enter a number with decimals), sometimes you get a dropdown menu with options like Yes/No or a list of items or the like.

Here's a link to some more short tips i wrote up on it: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3771090&userid=149137&perpage=40&pagenumber=3#post486577954

Take note that i removed the hotkeys mentioned in the above link from the table (i think), to decrease the risk of bad stuff maybe happening.

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up
Man I misjudged how much curse I had and bought enough items to get 10 curse from the cursula vendor on floor 4. Still managed to finish jammed dragon and a jammed curse pillar to finish the run, with lord of the jammed chasing me around. Fortunately I had silver bullets which helped immensely. I wish there was a counter in game to show you how much curse you have.

Snazzy Frocks posted:

go to the synergy page and ctrl+f 'chest' theres only three synergies that do it i think

Thanks for that didn't think to search for synergies

Destro fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Aug 19, 2018

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

got a bow from the first boss pedestal so ignored it in disgust and left it there.

went downstairs, got the mapping quest, thought "well, i have one room left, what are the odds it's a fuse chest before i kill boss2 to get enough cash to buy another key"?

it was a synergy chest. and the map dude gave me the fuckin' bow!!

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
well i have a complete ammonomicon aside from rubensteins monster. still havent seen a rainbow chest, glitch chest, witches, or high dragunfire

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
I'm getting totally nowhere with the game, get nuked around level 2 because I slowly run out of health.

Any quick tips for how to make it further in the game after this latest update? Is there a character and play-style that perhaps lead to the most progress for filthy newbies?

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
some tips i can share:

look at your hero and use your periphery to watch and aim at enemies (this is to avoid getting damaged, your highest priority). your biggest hurdle to overcome is learning to dodge bullets without dodge rolling. you have to learn which attacks to dodge roll and which to walk around. always be strafing your enemies. identify any veteran enemies (bullets with an eyepatch, shotgun shells with a maroon color) and move back and forth to mess up their shot leading. learn boss patterns. play with a controller if you have one.

it all takes time though

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
JFC this run I am currently on has been utterly infuriating in the dumbest way. Got Junken from first broken chest on Floor 1, NICE! Currently in the Old Abbey having destroyed every chest I've seen since (with 3 extra room clear chests) and have only gotten 1 extra junk. I've had keys for every one of them too. Useless and unneeded hearts and a loving Mega Douser is all I have to claim for the unopened chests.

What the gently caress Dodge Roll.

BaconCopter fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Aug 19, 2018

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

A shameful lich kill. Lost two hearts on the third phase. But that was a really good lead god run, especially when the Yari launcher dropped on the first floor.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
I beat the Lich for the first time today. I got just enough money to buy the Golden Ammolet on the first floor and was able to steal the Clown Mask and Drill on the next few floors. Table tech blanks made any room with tables a breeze and the Elder Blanks made the remaining rooms and all bosses a breeze. The Great Queen Ant synergy turns the Gungeon ant into an amazing weapon and it ended up being my weapon of choice for the Lich.

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up
Yeah definitely not a fan of the bloodied scarf

Got 2 more lead god runs today, man the cheese gun is so OP

Destro fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Aug 20, 2018

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up
I still haven't figured out if this guy that pops out of dead bodies sometimes is used for? Looks like a mini shade or something.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Destro posted:

I still haven't figured out if this guy that pops out of dead bodies sometimes is used for? Looks like a mini shade or something.

It's a piece of bullet corn. It pops out of the poop blobs when you kill them.

Tax Inductions
Jul 9, 2007

I carry refreshments to the good guys
I made the good guys some home fries
I just totally screwed up one of Ace's games in the first chamber, hitting only 1/4 of the targets. As I opened the brown chest it turned into a rainbow chest and exploded into a bunch of really good items including a shelleton key o_O

Maha
Dec 29, 2006
sapere aude
Get to Advanced Dragun for the first time, game hangs indefinitely on the animation where it eats the serpent and then wipes my run after I force-close it. :waycool:

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

Maha posted:

Get to Advanced Dragun for the first time, game hangs indefinitely on the animation where it eats the serpent and then wipes my run after I force-close it. :waycool:

I know that feeling; lost a run a few days ago with clone because I got stuck dodge rolling into a door

LeninVS
Nov 8, 2011

Maha posted:

This also happened to me the only time I was able to find an egg

Maha
Dec 29, 2006
sapere aude
Well, I guess the game apologized by giving me a Super Hot Watch. Lame way to win, but I'll take it. It just completely destroys the game, can't imagine there's any reason to pick it up after you have your achievements.

Thadius
Apr 2, 2010

ANGER HAS NEVER BEEN MORE MANLY THAN THIS
I have managed to kill four out of six pasts.

I think Convict will be next. It's better than RNG: The character by a small amount in my eyes. Get it out of the way and over with.

Still have yet to finish boss rush, but at least my latest Hunter run I got to see Holy Junkan and unlocked the Cobalt Hammer and the Ancient Hero's Bandanna. Along with Dog and Wolf.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i'd like the cobalt hammer if the charged up shot could be aimed in any way, at all

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
I like that the dog barks at mimics

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got
Honestly, I kind of feel the goon who was griping about randomness. I was half trying to get to the RR and this is what I ended up with after a flawless floor 1 - zero key drops, one blank and 31 casings, just about enough to buy the only key in the shop.

The next run I had close to double that after three rooms!

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Or is it Sputnik posted:

Honestly, I kind of feel the goon who was griping about randomness. I was half trying to get to the RR and this is what I ended up with after a flawless floor 1 - zero key drops, one blank and 31 casings, just about enough to buy the only key in the shop.

You got the Combined Gun, what could you possibly be complaining about :colbert:

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got

Pacra posted:

You got the Combined Gun, what could you possibly be complaining about :colbert:
That's all well and good but I was trying to get to the Resourceful Rat :shobon:

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
It turns out that if you find excalibur in the rat's elevator giveaway, you do not dual wield them, nor do you get two beams

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I picked the game back up after a super long time off, and goddamn it I still have a mental block against the Marine's past. I don't know what it is about those imps, I just gently caress it up every time.

On the bright side - only five shambling rounds to go for the quest!

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Power of Pecota posted:

I picked the game back up after a super long time off, and goddamn it I still have a mental block against the Marine's past. I don't know what it is about those imps, I just gently caress it up every time.

On the bright side - only five shambling rounds to go for the quest!

Are you getting poisoned by the dimensional rifts the Horror creates?

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
Finally got around to opening up the road to level 5. Feels good, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Not at all on the last screwed up attempt - it's definitely gotten me before though. It was my first in like 18 months, so I'm just considering that shaking the rust off. I just have an issue with getting sloppier during longer fights and that hegemony rifle sucks mad poo poo and makes the fight super, super long.